Forums :: THE SNAKE SOUP
Original Metal Gear Solid Still Has a Unique Atmosphere - Printable Version

+- Forums :: THE SNAKE SOUP (http://thesnakesoup.org/forums)
+-- Forum: The Site (/Forum-The-Site)
+--- Forum: Updates and Announcements (/Forum-Updates-and-Announcements)
+--- Thread: Original Metal Gear Solid Still Has a Unique Atmosphere (/Thread-Original-Metal-Gear-Solid-Still-Has-a-Unique-Atmosphere)

Pages: 1 2

Original Metal Gear Solid Still Has a Unique Atmosphere - Nike Schneider - 07-31-2017 05:14 AM

Nearly Twenty Years Later, the Original Metal Gear Solid Still Has a Unique Atmosphere.

RE: Original Metal Gear Solid Still Has a Unique Atmosphere - Canucklehead - 07-31-2017 01:51 PM

It's also the only good one in the series.

RE: Original Metal Gear Solid Still Has a Unique Atmosphere - DarthCaligula - 07-31-2017 03:54 PM

Yeah, right, we know you don't feel that way, with how much you praise Metal Gear 2 above all others.

RE: Original Metal Gear Solid Still Has a Unique Atmosphere - Canucklehead - 07-31-2017 05:15 PM

MG2 is a close second; MGS1 was pure perfection.

RE: Original Metal Gear Solid Still Has a Unique Atmosphere - Code_R - 11-11-2017 02:36 PM

I still love the art direction and the music. I once read an article about how Twin Snakes was only 'technically' better rather than artistically. Probably on here. Still does it for me.

RE: Original Metal Gear Solid Still Has a Unique Atmosphere - DarthCaligula - 11-11-2017 05:49 PM

Twin Snakes is inferior to the original in every possible way.

RE: Original Metal Gear Solid Still Has a Unique Atmosphere - Canucklehead - 11-11-2017 07:12 PM

Actually, on Extreme, Twin Snakes' Hind D battle is the best boss fight in the whole series.

RE: Original Metal Gear Solid Still Has a Unique Atmosphere - THEND - 11-12-2017 11:07 AM

Peace Walker fixed twin snakes.

RE: Original Metal Gear Solid Still Has a Unique Atmosphere - DarthCaligula - 11-12-2017 02:54 PM

What? That makes no sense. Twin Snakes still sucks. Peace Walker was a fun game with a ridiculous story, and I don't see how it improves a game that came before.

RE: Original Metal Gear Solid Still Has a Unique Atmosphere - Canucklehead - 11-12-2017 04:57 PM

Peace Walker was fun, but a terrible Metal Gear.

Twin Snakes was a better Metal Gear game, but I found it to be very un-fun.

RE: Original Metal Gear Solid Still Has a Unique Atmosphere - THEND - 11-13-2017 07:11 AM

In that sense ac!d is genius

RE: Original Metal Gear Solid Still Has a Unique Atmosphere - Canucklehead - 11-13-2017 12:53 PM

The first one never interested me, but I always really wanted to try the 2nd one. It looked interesting.

RE: Original Metal Gear Solid Still Has a Unique Atmosphere - DarthCaligula - 11-13-2017 07:53 PM

Those games sounded interesting. Some sort of turned based stealth game with cards for moves? So it's more like a board game?

RE: Original Metal Gear Solid Still Has a Unique Atmosphere - THEND - 11-14-2017 07:24 AM

The 2nd one is a good standalone game. The first one is bad with technical problems. The game is the same, the 2nd has better performance and a more appropriate design aesthetic (it doesn't rip off MGS1) and a decent ending. Maybe they should make a 3rd one. Ac!d 2 snake would be a great crossover character for any fighting game. It doesn't connect to the main series but it makes some implied overtures. Meh..the 2nd is recommendable. Dont' know if you should play the 1st...they aren't extremely connected but they do continue from one another.

RE: Original Metal Gear Solid Still Has a Unique Atmosphere - jdnation - 11-14-2017 01:11 PM

I've been creaming my pants at the thought of Ac!d^3 for years!!!

But unfortunately in this microtransaction loot box bullshit age, I wouldn't trust Konami to make a good one.

the first Ac!d was a lot of fun. It had its drawbacks, but if there was one thing Kojima Productions was good at, it was taking feedback from the first game and fixing the shit out of it in the sequel.

Ac!d^2 is perfection!

Both these games are underappreciated gems from the PSP era!

In fact the game's non-canon storylines allowed them the freedom to flex their muscles on the story-side.

They proved that Metal Gear can work without Kojima, while still retaining all the fun and intrigue Kojima put into his games.

Now they are certainly not better than <insert your favourite Metal Gear title here> but they hold up pretty damn good.

Ac!d takes place after the events of MGS1.

And... Ac!d^2 also... takes place after MGS1, but it not a sequel to the first Ac!d? Or rather all of that is completely ignored.

Each are their own things. The 2nd game also takes creative freedom to reinvent Snake and the Metal Gear series into its own unique thing whereas the first title struck closely to the aesthetics of MGS1/2.

(11-13-2017 07:53 PM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  Those games sounded interesting. Some sort of turned based stealth game with cards for moves? So it's more like a board game?

I'd describe it more as a turn-based tactics game.

Like Fire Emblem and FF Tactics or Jeanne D'Arc. You're playing on a grid and you have player and enemy phases.

You movement and actions are based on cards much as with TCG titles like Pokemon/Magic etc.

You shuffle your deck and get a bunch of cards in hand. You can discard cards to redraw or to move on the grid, or play the action on the card which are either stealth moves (hanging off railing etc.) or action moves (shoot, grenade etc.)

You get a preview of what you are about to do before you commit. As you play the game you unlock more cards etc.

There is the layer of stealth over the whole thing, and enemies don't notice you're there until they see you, or you do something to alert them. In which case, more enemies come in if the alert phase goes off.

Essentially you have to make it from one end of the room to the other. Sometimes you have to accomplish certain tasks before the exit arrives. Also you cannot leave until the alert phase goes away.

Perfect Stealth is actually pretty hard to do, at least for me, so at some point you'll end up having to confront enemies directly. it is probably more accomplishable on 2nd-3rd playthroughs with the right set of cards in your hand.

Anyway, if you like strategy tactics games, then Ac!d is fun as fuck! I recommend playing both of them. But play the 1st one before the 2nd one, as the 2nd majorly improves on the first one.