Forums :: THE SNAKE SOUP
The Phantom's Eyes | Mise-En-Game - Printable Version

+- Forums :: THE SNAKE SOUP (http://thesnakesoup.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Metal... Gear?! (/Forum-Metal-Gear)
+--- Forum: Metal Gear General (/Forum-Metal-Gear-General)
+--- Thread: The Phantom's Eyes | Mise-En-Game (/Thread-The-Phantom-s-Eyes-Mise-En-Game)

The Phantom's Eyes | Mise-En-Game - jdnation - 04-29-2017 10:38 AM

RE: The Phantom's Eyes | Mise-En-Game - DarthCaligula - 04-29-2017 07:59 PM

I was ready to call bullshit on what he was rambling about with the camera, until he mentioned the ending, and how it goes for the more traditional style of multiple stable camera angles, like in past games. I don't know what it's about, but it's clear that this was something intentional, though his argument also falls apart when you think about Ground Zeroes, which had the exact same camera style as The Phantom Pain. If you play a mission in that game, skipping nothing, it's all one continuous take. Like the main mission in GZ, which starts with the outside of the POW cages, and stays all the way until Chico and Paz are on the helicopter and everyone is heading home. And then after that, the next parts are themselves composed of single takes.
I think it's most likely that Kojima saw this used, and thought it would be interesting to use this style in a game, using the unique possibilities that CG gives to truly have single take, with a camera that can even do things impossible with a physical camera, like in GZ when the view goes through a tiny opening in some equipment of an XOF soldier.

I wish he didn't show so much of MGS4 for the examples of past games. I think MGS2 and MGS3 were the height of Kojima's style of camera work.

Also, I've said this before, I think that the ending of MGSV redeems quite a bit of the story when you realize how you've just been used by Big Boss, and makes everything in it feel so sick and twisted, and that there are also lots of good parts in the game, like how the attempts at rehabilitating child soldiers was treated pretty realistically based on what I've read. But in the end the story isn't that good. It just gets bogged down in this vocal cord parasite stuff, and in a lot of ways it feels like lots of good ideas were thrown in without any real idea how to make them all compliment each other, and it turns into a mess. Hell, knowing Kojima, maybe it was intentional, but that doesn't excuse the story and the way it was handled. I absolutely loved the gameplay though, even if it was a bit too easy.

RE: The Phantom's Eyes | Mise-En-Game - jdnation - 04-29-2017 10:10 PM

It kinda depends...

If certain information from alleged leakers is correct, then Ground Zeroes was originally a flashback mission that occurs after the MGSV intro and Miller's rescue on your way towards the new Mother Base and 'seen/remembered' through the eyes of Venom.

Kojima, however had to cut it out to make it its own product. Around this time, Kojima also knew things were not going to go so well, hence the little hints in GZ about KojiPro going away and the Kojima specific games being erased etc.

The idea with camera movement is pretty basic.

A moving shaky camera for chaotic scenes in general or to indicate the main character being unnerved, strained, imbalanced internally.

A steady camera by contrast indicating a character with power and control.

Normally the two are used together, cutting from one character to another during a dialogue to show who in the scene is in control and dominating versus the other who is becoming more agitated/losing. Also achieved by upward/downward camera angles.

RE: The Phantom's Eyes | Mise-En-Game - Elman - 05-24-2017 08:33 PM

This is actually a pretty good theory.

RE: The Phantom's Eyes | Mise-En-Game - fgdj2000 - 06-22-2017 10:57 AM

(04-29-2017 10:10 PM)jdnation Wrote:  It kinda depends...

If certain information from alleged leakers is correct, then Ground Zeroes was originally a flashback mission that occurs after the MGSV intro and Miller's rescue on your way towards the new Mother Base and 'seen/remembered' through the eyes of Venom.

Kojima, however had to cut it out to make it its own product. Around this time, Kojima also knew things were not going to go so well, hence the little hints in GZ about KojiPro going away and the Kojima specific games being erased etc.

I actually didn't know about this. Makes sense. THough, I believe that may tie into the "that's never been done before"-comment. Maybe the idea was to return and be able to change things... though that has been done... I dunno.

What I do know is that the game was originally simply titled "Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes", without the "V" and I am also pretty sure, Kojima was toying with the idea of naming "Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain" simply "The Phantom Pain".

RE: The Phantom's Eyes | Mise-En-Game - DarthCaligula - 06-22-2017 08:04 PM

I can't remember if I read any of that stuff about the titles, but I could believe it. After all, in early plans for Metal Gear Solid 2, the game was going to be called Metal Gear Solid III, with the Twin Towers and the Chrysler Building making up the Roman lettering number three. In a lot of ways, MGSV is an attempt at redoing MGS2, but going in a different direction. Like how you don't play Big Boss in The Phantom Pain, you play someone that represents you, but instead how MGS2 had the revelation right at the beginning, you don't find out until the end of MGSV that you're playing someone else. Stuff like that.

RE: The Phantom's Eyes | Mise-En-Game - fgdj2000 - 06-27-2017 06:13 AM

I've watched the video by now. Makes a lot of sense. I also would like to add, that Kojima said, the new camera style was also made to represent the seamlessness of the open world. At least with Ground Zeroes. Whereas in previous games you would "cut" from area to are, by entering different rooms/areas, not everything was seamless and the camera style also was supposed to reflect this change.

I think the main problems of MGSV were that it clearly took a hit from the Kojima/Konami conflict and that it was stylistically so different from previous games and turned off a lot of people who expected something more in line with that style.