Forums :: THE SNAKE SOUP
Christopher Randolph on Otacon/Huey. - Printable Version

+- Forums :: THE SNAKE SOUP (http://thesnakesoup.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Metal... Gear?! (/Forum-Metal-Gear)
+--- Forum: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (/Forum-Metal-Gear-Solid-V-The-Phantom-Pain)
+--- Thread: Christopher Randolph on Otacon/Huey. (/Thread-Christopher-Randolph-on-Otacon-Huey)

Pages: 1 2

Christopher Randolph on Otacon/Huey. - jdnation - 04-09-2017 10:47 AM

"In a recent interview with OneofUs.Net, Christopher Randolph, who played both Otacon and Huey in the Metal Gear series talked about what he liked about both characters. He states that Otacon is closest to his heart and he feels like his story could be expanded upon on the future (maybe even in the form of his own game), whereas Huey’s story is kind of a ‘closed loop’. As Randolph voices both characters, father and son, one of the things to figure out is how the differentiate the two."

http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=29690

I don't think Otacon's story is going anywhere in the future Chris...

RE: Christopher Randolph on Otacon/Huey. - DarthCaligula - 04-09-2017 12:52 PM

I thought he was one of the great shining lights in the English voice acting. Excellent work all the way through, and he really showed his talent in MGSV. I saw an interview with him once that said he actually teaches acting, I think at a university, and it clearly shows.

RE: Christopher Randolph on Otacon/Huey. - Higharolla Kockamamie - 01-05-2018 03:23 AM

He's one of the best things about V.

RE: Christopher Randolph on Otacon/Huey. - Canucklehead - 01-05-2018 06:03 AM

He was under-utilized, that's for sure.

RE: Christopher Randolph on Otacon/Huey. - SexyKaz - 01-08-2018 09:19 AM

Am I the only one here who found no enjoyment of Huey from MGS4 forward? Randolph was good enough in 1 and 2 as a funny nerd character stereotype but from 4 onward he doesn't even sound like a fucking person. I mean, I can't think if it's his voice or his acting or how the story is written or all of the above but that's not how people talk. To me, he always sounds like the turtle-guy from Sly Cooper if he was real life.

But to be fair, I think all the voice acting since Peace Walker sounds like a fucking English B-anime dub.

RE: Christopher Randolph on Otacon/Huey. - THEND - 01-08-2018 11:33 AM

Snakes his soul mate. I don't think they care what you think

RE: Christopher Randolph on Otacon/Huey. - SexyKaz - 01-09-2018 10:06 AM

Hey, I'm just judging his voice, not their relationship.

Also, been feeling little down ever since Huey made dr. Pettrovich look like fucking nothing.

RE: Christopher Randolph on Otacon/Huey. - Canucklehead - 01-09-2018 10:15 AM

The prequels were awful to the story. Gameplay was fun, I guess, but they ruined the entire series' established theme.

RE: Christopher Randolph on Otacon/Huey. - THEND - 01-09-2018 10:58 AM

Huey is/was a hack scientist from the very beginning.

RE: Christopher Randolph on Otacon/Huey. - jdnation - 01-09-2018 11:38 AM

In 4 he was crybaby Otacon.

PW and V were essentially a lazy copy/paste job with minor differences.

It seems that MGS became formulaic afters MGS2 Raiden-gate and MGS3 sales dropping compared to 2 where Konami listened to all the Halo gamerz of America and the US echo chamber games media and mandated that every MGS title main character at least look and talk like Snake and have an Otacon and sexy female character.Only the female lead can be different, so long as she's sexy.

This is why Punished Kojima made Snake an old man, Huey a cripple, and Quiet 'uncosplayable' lol.

RE: Christopher Randolph on Otacon/Huey. - DarthCaligula - 01-09-2018 08:26 PM

(01-09-2018 10:06 AM)SexyKaz Wrote:  Hey, I'm just judging his voice, not their relationship.

Also, been feeling little down ever since Huey made dr. Pettrovich look like fucking nothing.

You've got to love how Venom Snake practically fights Jehuty in the 80's, then suddenly the Metal Gears in the 90's all look like big bulky junk bots. It makes perfect sense!

RE: Christopher Randolph on Otacon/Huey. - jdnation - 01-10-2018 09:59 AM

(01-09-2018 08:26 PM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  
(01-09-2018 10:06 AM)SexyKaz Wrote:  Hey, I'm just judging his voice, not their relationship.

You've got to love how Venom Snake practically fights Jehuty in the 80's, then suddenly the Metal Gears in the 90's all look like big bulky junk bots. It makes perfect sense!

To be fair, that contraption required a powerful psychic child to work. Impractical from a mass manufacturing standpoint. The bigger issue is where did it go? We'll never know.

RE: Christopher Randolph on Otacon/Huey. - DarthCaligula - 01-10-2018 06:58 PM

It got sucked through a time portal and infused with parasites and phazon, and now it'll be a boss in Survive.

RE: Christopher Randolph on Otacon/Huey. - Higharolla Kockamamie - 01-16-2018 10:17 PM

(01-09-2018 08:26 PM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  

I guess all you can really say is that Emmerich's Metal Gear tech was more advanced but was lost after he got out of the robot building game after floating around the Indian ocean and reuniting with his son.

So then Madnar came along and basically had to start the Metal Gear project over from scratch and was not as good but Big Boss didn't have a choice having already burned his bridges with Emmerich.

Of course it's still dumb because Gurlukovich says to Anderson "did you know that this technology was originally Russian?" which could be a reference to Granin but was clearly meant originally as a reference to Madnar and either way Anderson could have said "yeah and did you know an American scientist topped you Russians in this tech a full decade earlier?"

RE: Christopher Randolph on Otacon/Huey. - DarthCaligula - 01-16-2018 10:21 PM

I can't believe I never made the connection to Madnar with that line from Gurlukovich. I feel so stupid now.