Forums :: THE SNAKE SOUP
Aw shit, no way! - Printable Version

+- Forums :: THE SNAKE SOUP (http://thesnakesoup.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Metal... Gear?! (/Forum-Metal-Gear)
+--- Forum: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (/Forum-Metal-Gear-Solid-V-Ground-Zeroes)
+--- Thread: Aw shit, no way! (/Thread-Aw-shit-no-way)

Aw shit, no way! - Canucklehead - 08-25-2014 05:50 AM

STOP
NO POVS

GROUND GUIDES
REQUIRED FOR
TACTICAL VEHICLES

Ha ha, that's awesome! Guess they actually visited real bases for research. Not that anyone at Camp Omega actually uses Ground Guides, but hell, nobody does on real bases either unless some crusty higher-ranking guy is milling about.

Cool!

RE: Aw shit, no way! - Solidsuitlarry - 08-25-2014 05:55 AM

Sorry once again for being my usual retarded self but can you explain this to me please?

RE: Aw shit, no way! - Canucklehead - 08-25-2014 06:02 AM

Signs posted around Camp Omega. They state that "No personally owned vehicles are allowed on base; only military vehicles, and Ground Guides must be used while backing up." Basically, the driver must have a guy on the ground guiding and giving him hand-signals while reversing or driving through confined areas, as military vehicles are large, have a shitty turning radius, and generally have no rear-view mirrors. It's a pretty standard safety regulation, punishable by administrative action if violated.

Just a nice piece of attention to detail, I thought.

RE: Aw shit, no way! - jdnation - 08-25-2014 08:24 PM

Filed Trips for research are Kojima's way of doing things. They'r even doing it for Silent Hills.

Also Kojima gets to vacation and eat sausages on a private jet thanks to Konami.

RE: Aw shit, no way! - Old Gross - 08-25-2014 10:09 PM

When I first saw "POVS" I didn't know what it meant; I honestly thought it meant "point of view", but much later I learned that it's an acronym for personal operational vehicles.

I remember looking at signs back in about late April when playing Ground Zeroes. It was all part of my research, but it was still fun nonetheless. Oddly enough, when using the Internet to research these signs, I found that a lot of them were sourced from imagery related to Guantanamo Bay....though, maybe it isn't that odd, since Camp Omega's inspired by Camp X-Ray, if I remember correctly.

RE: Aw shit, no way! - Solidsuitlarry - 08-25-2014 10:40 PM

Interesting little detail.

RE: Aw shit, no way! - Canucklehead - 08-26-2014 04:57 AM

Yeah, essentially, it mean you can't bring your civvie vehicle into the camp, and you need a ground guide to assist in backing up a green-fleet vehicle. There are non-tactical military vehicles, like vans and pick-up trucks and even cars, plus those fancy-ass sedans with the flags and shit on them when some big General comes to town or whatever, but if it's green, you need a ground guide.

It's just a detail that stuck out, as I haven't seen anything like the little details in Ground Zeroes in the previous games. MGS2's Tanker seemed pretty legit though, for the most part, based on what i know of Tankers, which isn't a whole lot. Camp Omega still has its share of problems, but it's still a pretty decently designed base.

Although in Canada, our acronym is "PMOV," but still,

RE: Aw shit, no way! - Old Gross - 08-26-2014 06:41 AM

(08-25-2014 10:40 PM)Solidsuitlarry Wrote:  Interesting little detail.
One particular challenge of mine involves making the signs bilingual; given the type of content I work with, the signs are going to be English and Japanese. Sadly, I get approximate translations with Google Translate; I say "sadly" because I think Google Translate is imperfect.

I'll use one of my favorite signs as an example:
Quote:
RESTRICTED AREA WARNING
立入禁止区域の警告

THIS AREA/ACTIVITY HAS BEEN DECLARED A RESTRICTED AREA BY AUTHORITY OF THE INSTALLATION COMMANDER IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PROVISIONS OF
SECTION 21, INTERNAL SECURITY ACT OF 1950, U.S.C. 797
このゾーン/活動は制限区域として宣言されています、インストール司令官の権威によって、の規定に基づき
セクション21
1950国内治安法
USC 797

UNAUTHORIZED ENTRY IS PROHIBITED. ALL PERSONS HEREIN ARE LIABLE TO SEARCH. PHOTOGRAPHY OF THE FACILITIES IS PROHIBITED WITHOUT SPECIFIC AUTHORIZATION FROM THE COMMANDER. NOTES, DRAWINGS, MAPS, AND ANY GRAPHIC REPRESENTATION OF THIS AREA IS PROHIBITED WITHOUT SPECIFIC AUTHORIZATION FROM THE COMMANDER. ANY SUCH MATERIAL FOUND IN THE POSSESSION OF UNAUTHORIZED PERSONNEL WILL BE CONFISCATED.
無許可エントリーはありません。すべての担当者は、ここにボディーチェックしやすい。施設の撮影は、指揮官からの具体的な許可なしに禁止されています。注意事項、図面、地​図、この域のあらゆるグラフィック表現、指揮官からの具体的な許可なしに禁止されています。権限のない人物を所持して発見されたような材料は没収されます。

DEADLY FORCE IS AUTHORIZED. UNAUTHORIZED PERSONNEL WILL BE SHOT.
致命的な力が認可されている。権限のない人物が撃たされる。
For the record, the Japanese version roughly translates as:
Quote:
Warning of restricted areas

This zone / activities are declared as restricted areas, in accordance with the provisions of, by the authority of the installation commander
Section 21
1950 National Security Act
USC 797

There is no unauthorized entry. All personnel are prone to body check here. Shooting facility is prohibited without permission concrete from the commander. It is prohibited any graphical representation notes, drawings, maps, this area, without permission concrete from the commander. Such materials have been discovered in possession of an unauthorized person will be confiscated.

Deadly force is authorized. Unauthorized person is shot.
...in cases like this, I make do, plus I had about one or two Japanese people say that my Japanese is okay. I often implement Japanese characters (text, etc) in my MMD videos along with English.

(08-26-2014 04:57 AM)Canucklehead Wrote:  Although in Canada, our acronym is "PMOV," but still,
Yeah; different countries have different designations for things. What's "PMOV" mean? Personal mobile operational vehicle? I can't find it anywhere online.

RE: Aw shit, no way! - Canucklehead - 08-26-2014 03:53 PM

Ha ha, sorry, these iPhone keypads are utter shiite, so I fucked the acronym up. It SHOULD say "POMV," which should instantly clear that one up, ha ha!

Personally Owned Motorized Vehicle.

RE: Aw shit, no way! - Solidsuitlarry - 08-26-2014 10:51 PM

Once again I'm reminded of how disappointed I am in not yet learning Japanese.

RE: Aw shit, no way! - Canucklehead - 08-27-2014 03:24 AM

A buddy of mine taught me how to call soneone a "Cum Dumpster" in Mandarin!