Forums :: THE SNAKE SOUP
Hayter not in MGSV guiz, you ought to petition Konami - Printable Version

+- Forums :: THE SNAKE SOUP (http://thesnakesoup.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Metal... Gear?! (/Forum-Metal-Gear)
+--- Forum: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (/Forum-Metal-Gear-Solid-V-Ground-Zeroes)
+--- Thread: Hayter not in MGSV guiz, you ought to petition Konami (/Thread-Hayter-not-in-MGSV-guiz-you-ought-to-petition-Konami)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Hayter not in MGSV guiz, you ought to petition Konami - jdnation - 08-01-2014 10:00 PM

New David Hayter interview.

[Image: Bt_VPVKIQAEmudy.jpg]

Nerd Reactor: You’ve recently tweeted about Metal Gear – your involvement or non-involvement, and there are fans that still believe that you’re in it, because they think Hideo Kojima is trolling them. Or maybe you signed an NDA?

David Hayter: No, no. I never signed any NDA. When you’re not in a game, it’s very difficult for them to get you to sign anything pertaining to it. It’s disappointing that fans still believe I’m gonna be in it, because I think that reduces the pressure that should be put on Konami and Kojima to bring me back. So I’ll say it again, I’m not in the game. In any way.

Nerd Reactor: There’s a petition out where fans want you back in the game.

David Hayter: I think there’s a couple of petitions. They put together thousands of thousands of names. I haven’t checked it recently, but yeah, it’s out there somewhere. [The petition already has over 20,000 signatures and can be found here.]

Nerd Reactor: What do you think about Kiefer Sutherland’s performance?

David Hayter: I saw the promos, and I saw Kiefer in there. Otherwise I think he’s a great actor, and I’ve met him, and spent a little time with him. He’s a super nice guy and I respect him immensely. It just feels different from what we were doing before. But I’ve got nothing bad to say about the man. He’s a stellar Canadian. I respect him immensely.

http://nerdreactor.com/2014/08/01/interview-with-david-hayter-on-devils-mile-wolves-black-widow-and-metal-gear-solid-v/

He's in the studio for something though...
[Image: RmAj3dR.jpg]

RE: Hayter not in MGSV guiz, you ought to petition Konami - Solidsuitlarry - 08-01-2014 10:15 PM

I wanna see Kiefer and David getting drunk together. Then David frames Kiefer for the murder of a prostitute but Kiefer gets away with it cuz he's famous.

Funny or Die needs to do that shit.

RE: Hayter not in MGSV guiz, you ought to petition Konami - Smiley - 08-02-2014 02:39 AM

It's sad that he still hasn't been able to let go, but in all fairness neither have those particular group of fans that keep fueling the flames by preaching false hope that Hayter is involved somehow. It sets them all up for disappointment.

You have the Japanese actor involved with MGSV as Snake, you have Hayter's support group of former MGS cast and crew alike jumping in with their opinions about his departure, and you have a bitter Hayter dismissing MGSV entirely. There's no reason to believe he's in this game. And frankly, his behavior reflects poorly on not only the game, but his chances of returning in future projects after MGSV. Enabling fans to bring more heat on Konami (who have already shown time and time again how little they think about their actors) will not do him any favors.

He once compared himself to Connery in the case of relating Bond to Snake. I would agree except for one thing: Connery is more well established than Hayter. He's the kind of man that can negotiate being paid millions more for returning after George Lazenby had already replaced him. And Lazenby was an unknown compared to Connery. But in the case of MGS, Kiefer's popularity and celebrity status trumps Hayter's. Hayter isn't someone who can negotiate and bend Konami into bringing him back. Konami have been making the offers to bring Kiefer on board. So Hayter's out of luck on this one. His only hope is to apologize and plead forgiveness and mercy to the mighty Kojima.

RE: Hayter not in MGSV guiz, you ought to petition Konami - jdnation - 08-02-2014 03:27 AM

The problem with big celebrity actors is... what if Keifer's not interested in doing MGS6? Like does Konami have him under obligation to keep voicing Snake if they wish? Or will Keifer become too big for video games and be too busy doing other things? Then what will Konami do? Get another VA? Go back to Hayter who'll be like...

"I'm delighted that you want me back, but I'm sorry, you're screwed, goodbye..."
[Image: KEteO.png]

[Image: vlcsnap-2011-12-18-20h44m52s195.png]

RE: Hayter not in MGSV guiz, you ought to petition Konami - Solidsuitlarry - 08-02-2014 04:28 AM

(08-02-2014 03:27 AM)jdnation Wrote:  *Simpson's scene*

Pretty much this.

And Hayter is in his rights to dismiss the game, they fucked him over and he doesn't need to be happy about it. Do you get pissed off that Alan Moore rejects the Watchmen movie outright too?

He answers questions when asked about it and makes a few jokes on twitter about it, again usually when prompted by others.

His comparison to Connery quite obviously was in that he was the original and he'll always have that. Where the fuck did all this shit about renegotiating and bending Konami to bring him back and George Lazenby come from?

Beg forgiveness? I guess you're joking but still fuck off to that.

RE: Hayter not in MGSV guiz, you ought to petition Konami - Metal Gear Z - 08-02-2014 04:42 AM

(08-02-2014 02:39 AM)Smiley Wrote:  It's sad that he still hasn't been able to let go, but in all fairness neither have those particular group of fans that keep fueling the flames by preaching false hope that Hayter is involved somehow. It sets them all up for disappointment.

You have the Japanese actor involved with MGSV as Snake, you have Hayter's support group of former MGS cast and crew alike jumping in with their opinions about his departure, and you have a bitter Hayter dismissing MGSV entirely. There's no reason to believe he's in this game. And frankly, his behavior reflects poorly on not only the game, but his chances of returning in future projects after MGSV. Enabling fans to bring more heat on Konami (who have already shown time and time again how little they think about their actors) will not do him any favors.

He once compared himself to Connery in the case of relating Bond to Snake. I would agree except for one thing: Connery is more well established than Hayter. He's the kind of man that can negotiate being paid millions more for returning after George Lazenby had already replaced him. And Lazenby was an unknown compared to Connery. But in the case of MGS, Kiefer's popularity and celebrity status trumps Hayter's. Hayter isn't someone who can negotiate and bend Konami into bringing him back. Konami have been making the offers to bring Kiefer on board. So Hayter's out of luck on this one. His only hope is to apologize and plead forgiveness and mercy to the mighty Kojima.

Hayter apologize? That is hilarious. Hayter isn't exaclty out of work. He isn't sitting around fuming about not playing Big Boss. Konami/Kojima screwed him, there was no heads up or anything. Its just a shitty way of doing business. When Sutherland either gets tired of doing this or becomes too expensive then Kojima will have to apologize to Hayter in which case... *Simpsons Scene*

RE: Hayter not in MGSV guiz, you ought to petition Konami - Canucklehead - 08-02-2014 05:32 AM

"He's a stellar Canadian" is all you need to know.

Big Boss is Canadian - fuck the USA! Now it's clear why he brought his war to the Patriots; teach you fuckers to send Justin Bieber back here!

RE: Hayter not in MGSV guiz, you ought to petition Konami - THEND - 08-02-2014 07:47 AM

Hayter should be back. It'll be weird to have the whole series and then wtf new snake voice.

I thought BigBoss would have had a different voice from the beginning but they didn't do that.

All in all Kojima is trying to sell "International Versions" which can run between 90 and 120 dollars over in Japan.

It's a shame he has alienated an entire fanbase in doing so but from a business standpoint, this was made to:

1. Attract publicity in Japan
2. Star power America
3. Sell International Versions
4. Profit off of 24 popularity in Japan. 24 was extremely popular. Like Twin Peaks or Lost.

It was a money choice 1st and an artistic choice 2nd. Kojima doesn't have an attachment to the character like the West does.

Kojima could make it up to the fans by releasing a "director's cut" (asshole) with Hayter's voice work.

Either that or someone could crowdfund a Hayter one. Who knows.

Sutherland was good n all I just wish they gave him his own series. Kojima might make money off the star power but there's no way of really knowing. As far as I can tell it's like they're treating Sutherland like a "feature" rather than the draw so it's hard to say to what extent the star power is working to garner the publicity Kojima was possibly hoping for.

RE: Hayter not in MGSV guiz, you ought to petition Konami - Solidsuitlarry - 08-02-2014 08:20 AM

As time goes on I just wish they had gotten Kiefer to do Big Boss from the beginning,

RE: Hayter not in MGSV guiz, you ought to petition Konami - Metal Gear Z - 08-02-2014 08:31 AM

Yeah, then by now all the crazy fanboys would've shut up. Of course lets say that was the case. Just to be a doucher Kojima would just cast someone else for GZ and TPP. Then Keifer would be sad.

RE: Hayter not in MGSV guiz, you ought to petition Konami - Solidsuitlarry - 08-02-2014 08:43 AM

Lol Kiefer would give less of a fuck then Hayter. They'd just lose a cast member whereas Hayter was actually a fan.

RE: Hayter not in MGSV guiz, you ought to petition Konami - Canucklehead - 08-02-2014 09:08 AM

(08-02-2014 07:47 AM)PsychoVenoM Wrote:  Hayter should be back. It'll be weird to have the whole series and then wtf new snake voice.

Dipshit; Snake & Big Boss: two different people;

(08-02-2014 08:20 AM)Solidsuitlarry Wrote:  As time goes on I just wish they had gotten Kiefer to do Big Boss from the beginning,

This guy gets it. Personally, I wouldn't have ever imagined Kiefer as Big Boss, but it should never have been Hayter either.

RE: Hayter not in MGSV guiz, you ought to petition Konami - Whatepok - 08-02-2014 09:28 AM

These dipshits crying over Hayter understand that Big Boss has to be voiced by a different person at some point, right?

RE: Hayter not in MGSV guiz, you ought to petition Konami - THEND - 08-02-2014 09:42 AM

(08-02-2014 09:08 AM)Canucklehead Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 07:47 AM)PsychoVenoM Wrote:  Hayter should be back. It'll be weird to have the whole series and then wtf new snake voice.

Dipshit; Snake & Big Boss: two different people;

(08-02-2014 08:20 AM)Solidsuitlarry Wrote:  As time goes on I just wish they had gotten Kiefer to do Big Boss from the beginning,

This guy gets it. Personally, I wouldn't have ever imagined Kiefer as Big Boss, but it should never have been Hayter either.

Sorry Charlie, Solidus and Solid Snake are both voiced by Akio Ohtsuka in the Japanese version of the game of MGS2. There was no artistic reason for the change other than to sell International Versions. Kudos to Kojima for landing the number one foreigner in Japan and a cutie Western chick Stephanie Joosten.

I wish my collection would be all hayter. It's just wierd. Thankfully it looks like the game is still designed by Kojima and considering what he is implementing (Modern JRPG elements and Modern Western RPG) into the games it'll still be a good game. It won't be utter shiite in one department like Splinter Cell.

Should fans get over it? Yah. Or pressure Konami. Either way let's not beat around the bush. It's a business decision and a good one too (unlike the Splinter Cell one. That was a bad one).

RE: Hayter not in MGSV guiz, you ought to petition Konami - Smiley - 08-02-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:The problem with big celebrity actors is... what if Keifer's not interested in doing MGS6? Like does Konami have him under obligation to keep voicing Snake if they wish?

We have no reason to believe he's done doing MGS, or even videogames. He's one of those celebrities that jumped in on other media outside film before it became standard in the industry. Started dominating the TV scene with 24 and has never come across as if videogames are beneath him. He was working on Call of Duty before MGS, and now he'll be in the next Mortal Kombat.

Working on MGS for over a year hasn't stopped him from coming back to 24 or doing other projects. And out of all the games he's done, he has shown a keen interest in MGS specifically because of what they're having him do with the motion capture and how he creates his character through that. MGS is a big series so I can't envision him walking out so long as they'e interested in having him. He didn't audition for this role. Kojima made him an offer and worked with his schedule. They could do it again.

Quote:Do you get pissed off that Alan Moore rejects the Watchmen movie outright too?

Alan Moore is a looney fuck that hates all adaptations without even seeing them.

Quote:His comparison to Connery quite obviously was in that he was the original and he'll always have that. Where the fuck did all this shit about renegotiating and bending Konami to bring him back and George Lazenby come from?

Just making an observation that even the original actor came back for Bond, but the chances of Hayter coming back as Snake are slim because of his celebrity status and overall bad behavior toward Konami/MGSV.

Quote:Hayter apologize? That is hilarious. Hayter isn't exaclty out of work. He isn't sitting around fuming about not playing Big Boss.

Never said Hayter was out of work. He's got his own projects coming out, and it's ignorant not to see Hayter being angry over this. A lot of voice actors are replaced often, and you don't see them creating twitter polls, going on talk shows and interviews from his friends in the industry to discuss being replaced or going so far as to disregard the game altogether because he's not in it.

I've never seen anyone of Hayter's status piss and moan on a project they weren't in and believe that they will somehow return to the series in its good graces.

Quote:Lol Kiefer would give less of a fuck then Hayter. They'd just lose a cast member whereas Hayter was actually a fan.

He was a fan so long as he felt he was the star of the series.

The problem is that Hayter feels attached to a character that was never fully his in the first place. He's a participant. These games have been made in Japan and Hayter was just providing the English dub. Akio Otsuka and the other Japanese voice talent have worked with Kojima directly which was not the case for the English recordings so alot of issues came from that. With MGSV, the motion capture finally brings the English cast to the forefront with Kojima working directly with Kiefer who he felt best suited the character.

We go on about the future of MGS after Phantom Pain, and we don't know where it'll go. Big Boss' story is wrapping up, and we already know what will happen to him and Solid Snake. If they do more games, it could be a different character or a different actor. Too soon to tell right now. But Kojima can't do this forever.

Quote:Should fans get over it? Yah. Or pressure Konami. Either way let's not beat around the bush. It's a business decision and a good one too (unlike the Splinter Cell one. That was a bad one).

Or Thief. Hell, Hitman: Absolution considered the same thing. There's a trend in videogames now to have your actor embody the entire character physically and vocally. They tried to do this with MGSV, but could only limit it to the English cast performing facial capture. And Kojima still felt Snake was the one in need of a recast. At least Michael Ironside was a gentleman about it, and even showed support for the new game and actor. Hayter has nothing bad to say about Kiefer (because he knows Kiefer is the better actor) but he disregards the game and decision.