Forums :: THE SNAKE SOUP
What's with falling in this game? - Printable Version

+- Forums :: THE SNAKE SOUP (http://thesnakesoup.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Metal... Gear?! (/Forum-Metal-Gear)
+--- Forum: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (/Forum-Metal-Gear-Solid-V-Ground-Zeroes)
+--- Thread: What's with falling in this game? (/Thread-What-s-with-falling-in-this-game)

What's with falling in this game? - Venom Animal - 05-07-2014 11:29 PM

I feel like every mechanic involving downward vertical movement in this game is borked to heck. For starters, falling off of and dismounting ledges happens in a way that looks floaty and unfinished. Secondly, the ability to crawl over and off of ledges from a prone position is no longer here, which i've found severely limiting to stealth, especially using rooftops to sneak past guards.

The worst part is the dive. Has anyone else tried diving off of a rooftop or the like? Snake dives, and as soon as he passes the vertical threshold of where the ground was when he jumped, he teleports back to a standing position and lands as if he'd just walked/leaped. What the shit? This feels uncharacteristically unpolished for an MGS game.

Ideally, a running jump should end with a roll, (also, the action button should ALWAYS jump if you're sprinting; making jumps contextual has never and will never work) and passing a certain vertical threshold while diving should have Snake's arms out front and his spine curl so that when you land that transitions well into a rolling animation as well. ALL animations involving falling, jumping or mid-air action need to be worked on heavily. I'd be seriously disappointed if this isn't ironed out in the Phantom Pain.

RE: What's with falling in this game? - Nike Schneider - 05-07-2014 11:39 PM

(05-07-2014 11:29 PM)Punished Animal Wrote:  making jumps contextual has never and will never work

[Image: 05-al-bust.jpg]

HEY LISTEN!

THIS IS A SNEAKING MISSION!

RE: What's with falling in this game? - Shriveled_Snake - 05-08-2014 12:42 AM

You wanna know your problem? You're holding this game to the standard of the rest of the series. This is a completely different kind of Metal Gear, there's no need for us to be limited by the gameplay from the past anymore.

Trust me, once you start accepting the fact that Kojima is trying to grind this series into a smoldering hot retcon pot, you'll actually enjoy all the changes (yes, even Sutherland).

RE: What's with falling in this game? - Ex-President - 05-08-2014 01:18 AM

Yeah I even mentioned that in that tweet about improvement suggestions. Many animations need fixing by the time TPP comes out.

RE: What's with falling in this game? - Solidsuitlarry - 05-08-2014 01:37 AM

Fuck I was hoping all these kinks would be patched by the time the game dropped to $20 for my cheap ass.

RE: What's with falling in this game? - Ex-President - 05-08-2014 01:39 AM

It's nothing major that will ruin the experience for you.

RE: What's with falling in this game? - Solidsuitlarry - 05-08-2014 01:56 AM

Nah man falling animations make or break games for me!

RE: What's with falling in this game? - Ex-President - 05-08-2014 02:15 AM

You may jest but sometimes they should!

[Image: -песочница-баян-баянище-796832.gif]

RE: What's with falling in this game? - Solidsuitlarry - 05-08-2014 02:20 AM

RE: What's with falling in this game? - Old Gross - 05-08-2014 05:29 AM

There are times when I dive off the edge of a building just because I can. But, I remember the first time I tried that, and Snake didn't, like, belly-flop onto the pavement below. That would've been funny, but instead the animation goes as such that he reverts his body back up so it looks like he'll land on his feet.....and he does, if you don't let go of the left stick, 'cause if you do, he'll land then go prone.

I wanted to see him fall flat on the ground, though; I assumed that would happen. I assumed that it might've caused damage, too, which would've made sense.

RE: What's with falling in this game? - Repugnance - 05-08-2014 09:54 AM

I like the leap-to-standing animation bug. It never gets old, and I hope they keep it.

What they should add for phantom pain is a "set alert music" feature though.