Forums :: THE SNAKE SOUP
"Classified Intel Data" Cassette Tape - Printable Version

+- Forums :: THE SNAKE SOUP (http://thesnakesoup.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Metal... Gear?! (/Forum-Metal-Gear)
+--- Forum: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (/Forum-Metal-Gear-Solid-V-Ground-Zeroes)
+--- Thread: "Classified Intel Data" Cassette Tape (/Thread-Classified-Intel-Data-Cassette-Tape)

"Classified Intel Data" Cassette Tape - Android_LJ - 03-27-2014 06:44 AM

This thread is about the two cassette tapes you receive for completing the "Classified Intel Acquisition" mission!

Alright so when you're doing the "Classified Intel Acquisition" mission, you interrogate the CIA agent and he tells you that the cassette tape you're looking for is in the control tower. When you climb in there and walk into the room, there's a camera on the inside watching the doorway. You get spotted and the whole base goes into Combat Phase.

When this happens, Kaz tells Big Boss he should make the CIA agent answer for betraying you. If you find him again, and then interrogate him again, he'll tell you that the REAL tape you're looking for is on another soldier. Some bald guy. If you find him and interrogate him, he drops a second tape. This is supposedly the real tape.

Once you complete the mission, if you found this second tape, Kaz tells you that it has info on it that gives proof that this place is a black site. However, if you listen to the tape outside of the mission, it's just 5 seconds of feedback. There's no valuable information on it. If you listen to the first tape (Agent's Recording), I believe THIS tape gives plenty of proof that the base is a blacksite. It is a recording of a torture, proof of what they're doing. The second tape (Classified Intel Data) is just pointless.

I wasn't convinced that this meant anything, however. Then when I listened to it again, trying to see if there was any discernible noise other than feedback, I noticed the subtitle under the "Tracks" heading for the tape. It says "Data Cassette (Do not use in music players)." Why include that subtitle, if not to insinuate that it should be listened in some other type of player?

So I began testing different things. I have the companion app on both my phone, as well as my ASUS tablet. I tried listening to the tape in game on the PS4, in the companion app on my phone, and in the companion app on my tablet. All 3 only gave me feedback. But there has to be SOMETHING that this track will play through! At least that's what I believe. I just don't see them adding that subtitle unless it was meant to be played in something else.

It's possible this information will carry over to the Phantom Pain, and there will be something in that game that allows the cassette to play. I suppose it's also possible that it really is nothing. Just there to take up space. But I find that option highly unlikely.

I'm very open to any theories that anyone has, so please share! Let's figure this out!

RE: "Classified Intel Data" Cassette Tape - Ex-President - 03-27-2014 06:51 AM

Yeah I thought the "do not use in music players" wasn't a throwaway too. Tried to think of anyother place to play the cassette but there's nothing in the game, right? Set it as helicopter music but nothing changes.
Anyway these guys are trying a bunch of stuff http://mgsforums.com/topic/7668495/1

RE: "Classified Intel Data" Cassette Tape - Old Gross - 03-27-2014 07:03 AM

I tried making a temporal frequency analysis of the tape's audio but I didn't get good results because I recorded the sound from my TracFone; I don't have the ability to directly feed my TV's footage to my computer, but if I could I'd probably get the precise quality recording necessary.....but even so, the temporal frequency analysis didn't show anything interesting, either because of the recording medium or because maybe there isn't really anything in it.

Oh and if we're talking about gameplay, I think that cassette-tape is the most necessary one to acquire to complete the mission with a high score. The problem is trying to figure out when Baldy will appear (I call him "Baldy" because, uh, he's bald), which I haven't fully figured out, leaving me to assume he will only appear after you make contact with Brian. His approximate location seems to always be around the western half of Camp Omega, though.

RE: "Classified Intel Data" Cassette Tape - Android_LJ - 03-27-2014 07:41 AM

I tried connecting to the link, but it just came up error. I think you may be on the right track Old Gross. I think it's possible the feedback is just an overlay on top of the real audio. I'm just not sure

RE: "Classified Intel Data" Cassette Tape - Ex-President - 03-27-2014 07:57 AM

Ah yeah, you need a password to see the GZ Spoiler section on MGSF. I think the password was "letmein".

RE: "Classified Intel Data" Cassette Tape - Elman - 03-27-2014 09:02 AM

(03-27-2014 07:03 AM)Old Gross Wrote:  Oh and if we're talking about gameplay, I think that cassette-tape is the most necessary one to acquire to complete the mission with a high score. The problem is trying to figure out when Baldy will appear (I call him "Baldy" because, uh, he's bald), which I haven't fully figured out, leaving me to assume he will only appear after you make contact with Brian. His approximate location seems to always be around the western half of Camp Omega, though.

You can even make contact with Baldy before setting off the trap. Wait until Brian wakes up and he'll start walking. Follow him and eventually he'll reach Baldy, telling him that everything's "set up". Miller will be surprised and ask you what to do next. You can now a. Approach Baldy directly and interrogate him, prompting him to drop the tape or b. Approach Brian, who'll say "they" (Cipher, I presume) have his family and tell you about Baldy.

On the tape itself, I do think there ought to be some way of playing it. Perhaps searching more thoroughly in the mission itself will yield some results.

RE: "Classified Intel Data" Cassette Tape - Old Gross - 03-27-2014 09:13 AM

(03-27-2014 09:02 AM)Elman Wrote:  
(03-27-2014 07:03 AM)Old Gross Wrote:  Oh and if we're talking about gameplay, I think that cassette-tape is the most necessary one to acquire to complete the mission with a high score. The problem is trying to figure out when Baldy will appear (I call him "Baldy" because, uh, he's bald), which I haven't fully figured out, leaving me to assume he will only appear after you make contact with Brian. His approximate location seems to always be around the western half of Camp Omega, though.

You can even make contact with Baldy before setting off the trap. Wait until Brian wakes up and he'll start walking. Follow him and eventually he'll reach Baldy, telling him that everything's "set up". Miller will be surprised and ask you what to do next. You can now a. Approach Baldy directly and interrogate him, prompting him to drop the tape or b. Approach Brian, who'll say "they" (Cipher, I presume) have his family and tell you about Baldy.

On the tape itself, I do think there ought to be some way of playing it. Perhaps searching more thoroughly in the mission itself will yield some results.
Thanks for the strategy; I'll take it into account next time I try to fulfill a Trial.

As for the tape, I think the audio is what it is. The reason why I've attempted to do a TFA (temporal frequency analysis) on it is because I have this feeling there's something hidden in there, like some grand easter egg of sorts. But I can only do so much with what I have as means to try and figure it out. Pains me to say this but I think someone else will have to do the job.
Alas, I guess I'm an amateur when it comes to steganography. At the end of the mission they are able to decrypt what's on the tape, but how they do it is unknown to me. I assumed they used various decryption methods related to signal processing available at the time (1974-1975).

RE: "Classified Intel Data" Cassette Tape - Nike Schneider - 03-27-2014 10:57 AM

Yeah I'm interested to see if this data tape is legit or just a sound file. I don't know too much about this outside the one time I unfortunately played a burnt data CD in an old CD music player. I also remember when Nine Inch Nails released Year Zero with an ARG campaign, one of the singles had weird static noises in the end, which ended up being a coded spectrogram with the album's cover art.

[Image: MVH_log.jpg]

(03-27-2014 09:02 AM)Elman Wrote:  You can even make contact with Baldy before setting off the trap. Wait until Brian wakes up and he'll start walking. Follow him and eventually he'll reach Baldy, telling him that everything's "set up". Miller will be surprised and ask you what to do next. You can now a. Approach Baldy directly and interrogate him, prompting him to drop the tape or b. Approach Brian, who'll say "they" (Cipher, I presume) have his family and tell you about Baldy.
You can actually skip all this shit and just run up to Baldy and interrogate him. He'll give up the tape and Miller's like "lolwat thats the tape gtfo boss" and you just have to get home.

RE: "Classified Intel Data" Cassette Tape - Nike Schneider - 04-01-2014 11:07 PM

So it seems like it has a valid MSX header "VOL2."

http://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/general-discussion/metal-gear-solid-5-cassette-tape?page=1

That's about it. For now.

RE: "Classified Intel Data" Cassette Tape - Old Gross - 04-02-2014 06:50 AM

(04-01-2014 11:07 PM)Punished Singh Wrote:  So it seems like it has a valid MSX header "VOL2."

http://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/general-discussion/metal-gear-solid-5-cassette-tape?page=1

That's about it. For now.
Oh so the content in that tape is like a code of sorts.....not something translatable via a TFA, but more like static that plays if used on an incorrect medium, such as playing track 1 of a PSX disc in a CD player, because usually the first track is the game's data.

RE: "Classified Intel Data" Cassette Tape - Venom Animal - 06-20-2014 12:57 AM

Was there ever any more info about this?

RE: "Classified Intel Data" Cassette Tape - Nike Schneider - 06-24-2014 04:09 PM

NAWTHING HEAUHR.