Forums :: THE SNAKE SOUP
What's Wrong with Ground Zeroes' Ending? (IGN) (Spoilers) - Printable Version

+- Forums :: THE SNAKE SOUP (http://thesnakesoup.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Metal... Gear?! (/Forum-Metal-Gear)
+--- Forum: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (/Forum-Metal-Gear-Solid-V-Ground-Zeroes)
+--- Thread: What's Wrong with Ground Zeroes' Ending? (IGN) (Spoilers) (/Thread-What-s-Wrong-with-Ground-Zeroes-Ending-IGN-Spoilers)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

What's Wrong with Ground Zeroes' Ending? (IGN) (Spoilers) - Elman - 03-24-2014 07:36 PM

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/25/whats-wrong-with-metal-gear-solid-5-ground-zeroes-ending

Highlights:

Quote:The bottom line is, Kojima hasn’t become David Fincher overnight, and Ground Zeroes still has a whole bunch of goofy stuff in it to remind you that you’re playing a Metal Gear Solid game. The game’s ending, a nasty little punctuation mark on a series of acts of sexual violence against the game’s only female character, felt at odds with that.

Quote:It's a discordance made worse by clumsy, almost gleeful handling of the material. In one instance, rape is used as a reward in a side objective

Quote:Because rape as a plot device is quick and easy as hell to implement and further, it lends a sense of gravitas to a story; a sense that the writer has crossed some dangerous line and we ought to congratulate him or her for that.

And this last one made me laugh:

Quote:And hey, if you disagree with me, if you really feel like your goofy, beloved Metal Gear is better off going down this road, that’s fine too.

[Image: b6atsi.jpg]

I wonder how Lucy would fare in actual MGS-related forums...

Anyway, what do you guys think?

I think she has a point, but disagree with the notion that Paz had no character development and functioned only as a vehicle for Big Boss' "quest". Didn't she listen to her tapes, for instance?

RE: What's Wrong with Ground Zeroes' Ending? (IGN) (Spoilers) - DarthCaligula - 03-24-2014 07:44 PM

"Rape is used as a reward in a side objective"? What the hell?

RE: What's Wrong with Ground Zeroes' Ending? (IGN) (Spoilers) - Old Gross - 03-24-2014 08:35 PM

As I was telling my friend over the phone last night, the way I see it is that these SJW's and feminist-bloggers and so-called journalists are trying to conditioning us to think a certain way about women in games. Actually, I don't know if that's their true intention, but even if it isn't, it's definitely happening. People read those blogs and articles and they have a new way of thinking. The time will come where any portrayal of a woman in a videogame will cause people to say "This is wrong." They will say this because they were conditioned to think that way after exposing themselves to all those blogs and articles, and worse yet is that those people may be over-analytical about it, resulting in that person's opinions yielding negative results on the whole spectrum. There will be nothing right in what they see....only wrong things, because the possibility of reverse-sexism is being perpetuated in some way or another, among other things.
Woman + Exaggerated proportions = Wrong.
Woman + Armpit hair = Wrong.
Woman + Damsel-in-distress role + Warm piano rendition of a themesong while cutting her free = Wrong.
It's going to be a lose-lose scenario. But that's not the worst possible outcome in the years to come.....one possibility is that people see something in a game and then say "I don't like it. Please remove it," and then the developers remove it. Though first that person has to be very influential in the industry....but only time will tell.

Oh, and I didn't read the article. Maybe I should so I sound more competent.

(03-24-2014 07:44 PM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  "Rape is used as a reward in a side objective"? What the hell?
Yeah no shit. I don't remember having to rape somebody in a side-mission. Oh wait; I think I got it. Sometimes when you carry Paz you can hear her moan. Also, if you lay her on the ground and move up to her she will twitch and grunt. They sound suggestive, as though she's being penetrated. It proves that KojiPro is a team full of obscene perverts (mostly male, very few female) who are subconsciously trying to satisfy their libidos and primal urges by implementing suggestive undertones, taken to a whole new level by implementing rape as a theme in Ground Zeroes. That's what the blogs and articles told me. Just kidding.

RE: What's Wrong with Ground Zeroes' Ending? (IGN) (Spoilers) - hellrasinbrasin - 03-24-2014 08:57 PM

...The problem is that IGN and other sites are stirring up controversy over something non controversial. Their has all ways been forms of Torture in Metal Gear Solid and Rape isn't anything new either to the series. The way IGN worded things it sounds like the player is being rewarding for assaulting the 21 year old double agent Paz when in reality its not even remotely close to what happens. The player collects all 7 of Chico's tapes and to the horror of the player we're a captive audience to what is done to Chico and Paz and what Chico is forced to do to Paz. And what finally is done to Paz by her interrogator to use her to kill Big Boss. Is the content needed YES. It is very well needed as we have reached a point in the Metal Gear History where the level of barbarism committed by other parties as well as Big Boss and Outer Heaven is required as these are all stones painting his as The Warlord that claims an entire section of South Africa as his own. The events at Camp Omega are a mirror to what is to come in The Phantom Pain.

RE: What's Wrong with Ground Zeroes' Ending? (IGN) (Spoilers) - DarthCaligula - 03-24-2014 09:47 PM

So what kind of game would make these idiots happy? A game where you play as some dumb bitch writing a blog? Maybe they just don't want men or women in games at all, they just want us to play as gray spheres floating in a void.

RE: What's Wrong with Ground Zeroes' Ending? (IGN) (Spoilers) - Old Gross - 03-24-2014 09:51 PM

(03-24-2014 09:47 PM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  So what kind of game would make these idiots happy? A game where you play as some dumb bitch writing a blog? Maybe they just don't want men or women in games at all, they just want us to play as gray spheres floating in a void.
Maybe a first-person game that has no actual gameplay aside from picking up notes that detail something about being a transsexual.....and God help you if you say the game sucks, because "You're too close-minded to understand how deep it is."

RE: What's Wrong with Ground Zeroes' Ending? (IGN) (Spoilers) - hellrasinbrasin - 03-24-2014 09:53 PM

(03-24-2014 09:47 PM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  So what kind of game would make these idiots happy? A game where you play as some dumb bitch writing a blog? Maybe they just don't want men or women in games at all, they just want us to play as gray spheres floating in a void.

None. They're only happy when they're spreading BS the way that FOX News and CNN does. Its not about the facts its about the viewership numbers and the amount of traffic the site gets.

Just wait until The Phantom Pain comes out they'll be so confused they won't know what to complain about 1st.

RE: What's Wrong with Ground Zeroes' Ending? (IGN) (Spoilers) - SolidSnarf86 - 03-25-2014 12:17 AM

I've scrolled down through all the responses and nowhere in amongst the haterade and white knights have I seen anyone ask which mission rewards the player with rape? I've been all up and down this game and I haven't gotten to rape anyone, so I'd be really interested to know what the hell she's talking about...

RE: What's Wrong with Ground Zeroes' Ending? (IGN) (Spoilers) - Ex-President - 03-25-2014 01:16 AM

Not even worth the time to read. She's the typical hypersensitive offended type of person who wants to keep the medium down.
The ignorance and in her summing up MGS as "goofy" is proof she doesn't know what the fuck she's talking about. People like that don't have enough brains or desire to look at the themes that run on the background of Kojima's stories.

RE: What's Wrong with Ground Zeroes' Ending? (IGN) (Spoilers) - Tanooki - 03-25-2014 04:53 AM

Can I just say that I really hate feminist and white knights who defend them? Especially these putz that get all butt-hurt over anything that happens to a woman in a video game that's "controversial". No one bats an eye if its in a book or a movie or whatever because people see it as "edgy" or some shit and that makes it ok. Yet in cases like Ground Zeroes its just good old fashion misogyny right? This woman didn't even try listening to the tapes, in which once implies rape. That's it. She shows her ignorance even further by saying you get to rape someone as a reward. Shit, that'd be even more awesome. i said sarcastically

RE: What's Wrong with Ground Zeroes' Ending? (IGN) (Spoilers) - Nike Schneider - 03-25-2014 05:33 AM

Holy shit guys, she's clearly talking about the fact that you are rewarded Chico's Tape #4 by completing the Rescue the Escaped P.O.W. objective.

RE: What's Wrong with Ground Zeroes' Ending? (IGN) (Spoilers) - Daggamuffin - 03-25-2014 05:03 PM

Well that's weird. Lucy O'Brien was just on IGN's PlayStation podcast recently and she was raving about how much she loves MGS and enjoyed Ground Zeroes. She took a 180 out of nowhere on this one.

RE: What's Wrong with Ground Zeroes' Ending? (IGN) (Spoilers) - Old Gross - 03-25-2014 07:29 PM

(03-25-2014 05:03 PM)Daggamuffin Wrote:  Well that's weird. Lucy O'Brien was just on IGN's PlayStation podcast recently and she was raving about how much she loves MGS and enjoyed Ground Zeroes. She took a 180 out of nowhere on this one.
I wonder how much of the series she's played and if she studied the storyline to the whole series. Most people don't do that; because I do I'm almost a walking database for the series (or a "geek", if you must be judgmental). I want to say "You merely adopted the Metal Gear Solid. I was born in it," but I never played Metal Gear after it came out in 1987, and I'm pretty much a "Metal Gear virgin" since my formal introduction to the franchise was on October 23rd, 1998 (actually, Snake's Revenge was my first, but that was back in May 1995 and I never knew about the series).

I think this, among other similar reviews and blogs, is just another consequence of what's going to happen when MGS is introduced to the mainstream gaming community (which I sometimes call the "COD community"). Let's hope it doesn't deter Kojima or KojiPro any further, and know that these are just things to expect from the mainstream group.

RE: What's Wrong with Ground Zeroes' Ending? (IGN) (Spoilers) - Solidsuitlarry - 03-25-2014 10:27 PM

She on one hand claims to have played all the other MGS games then on the other bitches about the lack of character development for Paz claiming that she has to consider GZ at face value and that not many people would have experienced the back story.

As someone in the comments said this is like somebody not playing Mass Effect 1 then bitching about how Shepard has prior feelings for all these characters the first time you see them.

As somebody else said about her complaining about the game's only female character being killed, it's a fucking prologue. It's like playing The Last of Us up to the title screen then stopping to complain about how they killed off the only female character.

Ah fuck it I don't know what I was expecting.

RE: What's Wrong with Ground Zeroes' Ending? (IGN) (Spoilers) - THEND - 03-26-2014 12:48 AM

you cant satisy women.