Why do they suddenly not use "real" weapons?
02-02-2015, 11:30 AM
RE: Why do they suddenly not use "real" weapons?
For a while I was thinking that maybe the guns in the TPP footage are placeholders, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

[Image: dct_header_SIGN-300x67.jpg] [Image: ZazzleZodiacs.png]
"The only prayer I will say for you is this : Whatever hell awaits you, it won't be long before you see it."
COD:BO Official Website (with Community forums)
[Image: TwitterIcon.gif] [Image: FacebookIcon.gif] [Image: YouTubeIcon.gif]
02-02-2015, 02:35 PM
Placeholders for what? I haven't really looked at any Phantom Pain promo/preview material; are they fake?

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
02-03-2015, 09:58 AM
SO many guns to choose from, Ill use tranq and CQC. Unless a sniper rifle or some sort of explosive is specifically required.

[Image: tumblr_mt0datDwt91rt6u7do1_400.gif]
PSN ID: BigBoss599
02-03-2015, 11:37 AM
I'll use weapons for bosses.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

02-03-2015, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 01:42 AM by SexyKaz.)
I've been thinking to ditch the tranq gun entirely and stick to silenced lethal pistols from now on since I'd like to think that the Demon Venom Snake wouldn't share the same no-killing ideology that post-MGS1 Snake had. I tend to use weapons in general only if necessary, though (that being the reflex mode, because I'm a massive faggot).

Pretty much how I played through Peace Walker unless I needed to fulton-grind for that level 99 munitions team... Oh God, please don't the let horrors return in TPP.
02-23-2015, 02:51 PM
There is a new possible reason, although this is coming from someone else and not me; someone said this in response to someone's post on Yong's recent MGSV video. The whole thing went like this:

1 Wrote:
2 Wrote:
1 Wrote:
2 Wrote:
1 Wrote:I don't know why they are using made up weapons instead of real ones like in all the other metal gear games

To not support the weapon manufacturers since the whole point of metal gear is to show how futile war is

eh, after MGS4?

that's not a really good excuse

i was just giving my thoughts on why, the only other reason is for cost.

Well true, though gun makers usually don't care about that, since they see it as free advertising, the russians definitely dont care
As humorous as it sounds, who knows? Considering that the MGS series has had something of an anti-war* undertone, it'd make sense. Though we don't know if this is the truth....I don't think Kojima-san has specified precisely why there's genericized Franken-guns in MGSV instead of real ones.

Nonetheless, use of real-life firearms in games requires licensing negotiations and all that. As for the Russians, maybe they're not as tight about their weapons' property rights and what-not as we are in the West, but I'm sure that'll all change in due time.

*I couldn't think of a better word? God damn. I sounded so mainstream there...

"The only prayer I will say for you is this : Whatever hell awaits you, it won't be long before you see it."
02-23-2015, 07:32 PM
Until Phantom Pain releases, let's not pretend we know for sure that it won't have lisenced weapon names. I'm not surprised they used fake names for Ground Zeroes since it's a FUCKING DEMO, but the actual game could and most likely will have the correct names.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

02-24-2015, 11:39 AM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2015 11:45 AM by SexyKaz.)
Pretty sure they won't since all the weapons in TPP promo material we've seen are fictional and have fictional names (Snake's WU-pistol). Or then they'd have to render every single weapon in the game to look like the real deal and what's the fucking point of that? What I've heard it seems that they use two real-life weapons, take parts of 'em and make them into one weapon. According to Kojima all the weapons are based on their 80's design.

I have no problem with fictional weapon names. I'd much rather have them named simply as "shitty silenced handgun" or "blows-ur-friggin-head-off revolver" or whatever just to point out the difference. Atleast we wouldn't have 100 billion pistols with no difference whatsoever. RIGHT MGS4!?!?

Seriously, I could write a book about all the bad things of that game. It'd be longer than the game's script.
02-25-2015, 05:57 AM
Yeah, MGS4 felt more like a fan-made game than an actual part of the series.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

03-11-2015, 11:26 AM
(02-03-2015 11:37 AM)Canucklehead Wrote:  I'll use weapons for bosses.

Speaking of bosses though, I'm having difficulty seeing how they'd work with the regen health (though Bionic Commando '09 pulled it off quite well).

Still, what if during such things, you are able to utilize potential rations you find on the battlefield which are inaccessible at any other time?
03-12-2015, 07:26 AM
I'm thinking they'd need to make Bosses super stealth-focused and capable of instant kills, and any action-focused fights would just be hoards of normal enemies followed by some scripted event that hurts the boss before bring out more minions.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

03-12-2015, 06:33 PM
Well, I guess it's official.....the weapons in TPP will be fictitious, and we can conclude that what we've seen in the trailers are not placeholders. It's kind of a bummer, but what can be done? We still don't know why we're using Franken-guns instead of actual guns, and all we can do is guess (money, etc). But then again, there's going to be in-depth firearm customization, and maybe since the guns are fictitious that allows for versatility in the customization process....but I don't know.

Oh we're talking about boss battles now? Interesting how there's been no details about how those will go in TPP.....just now I was wondering, what if there won't be any boss battles? At least, not in the familiar sense?

03-13-2015, 03:40 AM
There will be boss battles. They just aren't spoiling them.

[Image: tumblr_mt0datDwt91rt6u7do1_400.gif]
PSN ID: BigBoss599
03-13-2015, 11:18 AM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2015 11:19 AM by jdnation.)
I see a major blow out at E3.

New 2 min trailer at Sony E3 press conference.

Announcement of MGO3 Open Beta coming first to PS3/4, dat console privilege.

P.T. ported to Morpheus. FOX Engine supports the VR. The kind that's indistinguishable from the real thing!

New extended 15 mins epic story trailer on Konami E3 Show after Mega64 trolls with full size Snake arm replica.

New single player demo showing off some more random stuff. Like DD as a buddy.

4-Player Co-Op REVEAL! Limited to certain Extra-Ops missions on Open World Map. 4-player base infiltrations.

MGO Sony Beta begins in June. Xbots in July. PC - lol ! Runs up until near-end of August.

MGO3 playable on the show floor.
03-15-2015, 09:23 AM
(03-13-2015 03:40 AM)Metal Gear Z Wrote:  There will be boss battles. They just aren't spoiling them.
Should be interesting nonetheless to see how boss battles play out in TPP, though, being as how MGSV feels worlds-apart from the previous MGS games.

(03-11-2015 11:26 AM)Ze Moleman Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 11:37 AM)Canucklehead Wrote:  I'll use weapons for bosses.
Speaking of bosses though, I'm having difficulty seeing how they'd work with the regen health (though Bionic Commando '09 pulled it off quite well).

Still, what if during such things, you are able to utilize potential rations you find on the battlefield which are inaccessible at any other time?
Ah yes, Rations. A staple of the series, at least in my opinion, also despite some changes here and there (MGS3). What MGSV is overall is partly why I wonder about whether or not there will be boss battles, at least in the familiar sense. Imagine boss battles with human characters in this game....I mean, since BB has health-regen, as well as the risk of being killed in one hit (such as from explosives), what will that make human bosses? Can they too be killed in one hit? If so, I may feel a bit let down; I understand the sense of realism and all, but for bosses to be bullet-sponges* would feel more traditional.

*I couldn't find a better description? Fuck...

(03-13-2015 11:18 AM)jdnation Wrote:  I see a major blow out at E3.

New 2 min trailer at Sony E3 press conference.

Announcement of MGO3 Open Beta coming first to PS3/4, dat console privilege.

P.T. ported to Morpheus. FOX Engine supports the VR. The kind that's indistinguishable from the real thing!

New extended 15 mins epic story trailer on Konami E3 Show after Mega64 trolls with full size Snake arm replica.

New single player demo showing off some more random stuff. Like DD as a buddy.

4-Player Co-Op REVEAL! Limited to certain Extra-Ops missions on Open World Map. 4-player base infiltrations.

MGO Sony Beta begins in June. Xbots in July. PC - lol ! Runs up until near-end of August.

MGO3 playable on the show floor.
Well it's stuff to look forward to. But, one detail I hope to confirm around this time is how big TPP will be as a file. If TPP is going to be 200 times larger than Ground Zeroes, I'd think the file would be like, what, 400GB? To be honest, I'm hoping the file is huge, and I have no problem with getting a bigger HDD if need be.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)