What's up with Chico anyway? (Phantom Pain spoilers)
11-29-2015, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 11:33 AM by DarthCaligula.)
What's up with Chico anyway? (Phantom Pain spoilers)
This is something I've been wondering about for a long time. When you get to the Devil's House, you see people with earbuds in their throats, playing languages into them to condition the vocal cord parasites. This of course is very similar to what Chico had going on in Ground Zeroes, except that he seemed to be the opposite. The parasites were being conditioned to react to the vibrations caused by specific languages, yet Chico must be listening to something instead. Miller or Ocelot (can't remember which) says that to make the English strain, that Skull Face must have had a room somewhere where he would have conditioned the parasites to react to English, and Camp Omega seems like it should be a likely place. Of course, with all the US Marines there, speaking English, it seems that a breakout would be likely.
If Chico was involved with making the English strain, then he seems like an odd choice, since he would be speaking English to Skull Face, and presumably a mixture of Spanish (Nicaraguan dialect specific) and English to Paz.
That plug in his chest was something I really wondered about while playing Ground Zeroes over and over, and hoped they'd get back to in The Phantom Pain. I really wondered just what it was that Chico was listening to. This whole thing is why I was really looking forward to going back to Camp Omega. Most likely we would at the very least found some information left behind that would have shed more light on just what Skull Face was doing there, but of course, this part was cut out and it really pisses me off, since Kojima was saying that he had some sort of really interesting idea involved.

By the way, about the vocal cord parasites, I thought that they were an interesting take on ethnic cleansing, and having your staff die from them I thought was a very good way to getting to the player. I thought the idea of parasites conditioned through forced evolution to react to the specific vibrations caused by different languages was a pretty cool idea, but that they just went way too far with them, having them be responsible for creating language in the first place, somehow making the Skulls be super soldiers, and that now the Cobra Unit all had parasites that gave them super powers. I can only imagine that they must be a metaphor of some kind. Maybe Kojima is addressing what he views as parasites on the gaming industry, or Konami itself for example, though I also thought that he just used them as a lazy answer to everything like the nanomachines in MGS4.
Personally, I think that the story in this game is more about the themes than what specifically happens. I don't think that Kojima cared all that much about telling a good story, just trying to make good gameplay and to explore certain themes within the game. I've said this before, but to me I put the first four games as one story, and everything from MGS3 on as something else, so that I don't get pissed about all the contradictions and retcons, and I just dismiss MGS4 except as a metaphor for how Kojima felt about Metal Gear and his fans.

Anyway, this whole thing with Chico really makes me wish that we had been able to go back to Camp Omega, and I just can't help wondering what was planned with him.
11-29-2015, 01:37 PM
RE: What's up with Chico anyway? (Phantom Pain spoilers)
I shot Chico in the head. New Record for longest headshot: 6m!

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
11-29-2015, 11:14 PM
Atleast Chico didn't get his own hospital-bed-photograph-reminiscent-meta-scene. Fuck his Monster Hunter-ass anyway.

Quote:now the Cobra Unit all had parasites that gave them super powers
Whai... wha... rilly?
11-30-2015, 12:35 AM (This post was last modified: 11-30-2015 12:50 AM by BigB0SS.)
I just assumed this was due to Chico going bat-shit insane. Remember his response when Big Boss tries to rescue him? Also, if you listen to the tapes, we learn that Skull Face had been psychologically messing with Chico. Kept telling him Paz was a traitor (that she sold Chico out or some bs). Told Chico she was dead, etc.

Plus think about state of mind POW would be experiencing. Experiencing the effects of being tortured, forced to torture Paz, being caged, out in the rain/weather, had bolts put through his achilles tendons, etc.

Can't say that I miss Chico or any of the Peace Walker characters.
11-30-2015, 11:10 AM
I don't get what you're saying. What does his trauma have to do with that thing in his chest? That's what I'm talking about, that weird plug in his chest, like he's listening to something inside of himself, and how similar it is to the people in the Devil's House.

(11-29-2015 11:14 PM)SexyKaz Wrote:  Atleast Chico didn't get his own hospital-bed-photograph-reminiscent-meta-scene. Fuck his Monster Hunter-ass anyway.

Whai... wha... rilly?

I'm serious. Code Talker and Quiet have photosynthesis because of parasites that Code Talker obtained from The End's remains. He also talks about parasites that let someone else control insects, The Pain of course. Did you listen to all of the tapes? Of course, I wouldn't blame you if you tuned out after hearing "vocal cord parasites" from Code Talker for the 50th time.
11-30-2015, 11:55 AM
Point that I'm making is people do irrational things when they've undergone traumatic events. Maybe there isn't a rational explanation for the headphones in chest. Maybe he's just insane.
12-01-2015, 01:02 AM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2015 01:03 AM by SexyKaz.)
Quote:
(11-29-2015 11:14 PM)SexyKaz Wrote:  
Whai... wha... rilly?

I'm serious. Code Talker and Quiet have photosynthesis because of parasites that Code Talker obtained from The End's remains. He also talks about parasites that let someone else control insects, The Pain of course. Did you listen to all of the tapes? Of course, I wouldn't blame you if you tuned out after hearing "vocal cord parasites" from Code Talker for the 50th time.
I think I did but holy shit I completely forgot about this. Holy shit that's unnecessarily retarded Big Grin
12-01-2015, 05:34 AM
So The Pain's ability to spit bees was all just a really severe case of the clap? And The Fear jammed his tongue into the wrong Turkish prostitute? And isn't it funny how the word "prostitute" sounds so much more nasty than "hooker?" Gross!

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
12-01-2015, 07:47 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2015 07:47 PM by DarthCaligula.)
Knowing Kojima, I really doubt that it's just supposed to be that Chico did this as part of mental trauma he suffered. I just know it, that something was planned here, probably part of the return to Camp Omega, and it was cut. It's just too similar to what's going on at the Devil's House.
About the parasites, I think Kojima was just using a lazy answer because he didn't care all that much, and just wanted an excuse to put those sort of powers in the game. I wish that he had gone crazy with psychic stuff instead though. Before MGS4 came out, I hoped that it would have more stuff with Genome Soldiers, like units of guys with Psycho Mantis's genes, turning them into psychic soldiers that share a single mind, experiencing each other's sensations, so that they all know what the others are going through, and can communicate with telepathy, so they don't need to speak or gesture at all, and then they would also start screwing with Snake's head, and using telekinesis in battle in interesting ways. They had a perfect excuse to do that sort of thing this time with the Mantis kid.
12-04-2015, 07:28 AM
I'll go out on a limb and say that it literally meant no damned thing. It was a cool visual that, like a lot of Ground Zeroes, existed to hint at what would be going on in TPP.

Or it was indeed cut. Or just unfinished on the planning stage. There's so much missing (or feeling like they're missing) from this game I can't be sure.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)