The one where I compliment Portable Ops
10-04-2011, 07:24 AM
The one where I compliment Portable Ops
Yup.

Relax guys, it's not like I say Peace Walker took a few steps backwards from Snake's Revenge or anything like that. This was supposed to be up last month but I didn't have time until recently to polish it up. I'm working on something for November. Might be cool. I'd highly recommend following us through Twitter or Facebook until then...

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
10-04-2011, 08:56 AM

Agreed. I hate Portable Ops on its own merits, after all, not in relation to PW. Then again, I don't like PW all that much either and both games share a lot of the reasons, so I guess my view-point is moot.

Still, good read.
10-04-2011, 09:06 AM

I always get annoyed with the genericness of non-snake mpw playable characters, actually i was hoping that the new hd edition used some kind of random soldier appearance generator like mgo, so not everyone looked like fucking clone soldiers, and playing as supporting cast might been fun too. specially since everyone's got a 3d model except huey, chico and coldman

[Image: banner.jpg]
10-04-2011, 09:10 AM

FRANKASTER Wrote:I always get annoyed with the genericness of non-snake mpw playable characters, actually i was hoping that the new hd edition used some kind of random soldier appearance generator like mgo, so not everyone looked like fucking clone soldiers, and playing as supporting cast might been fun too. specially since everyone's got a 3d model except huey, chico and coldman

You're thinking too small. If there is one thing touch-up for the HD release that could salvage the game in my eyes would be making a Huey model and making it playable. I'd love to take on Peace Walker with an armed high-tech wheelchair. He'd be like a proto-RoboCop.
10-04-2011, 12:32 PM

I loved the analysis of the villains.

Punished John Wrote:
PUNISHED RONOK
Does not exist
10-04-2011, 04:21 PM

Hairy Armpits Wrote:
FRANKASTER Wrote:something

You're thinking too small. If there is one thing touch-up for the HD release that could salvage the game in my eyes would be making a Huey model and making it playable. I'd love to take on Peace Walker with an armed high-tech wheelchair. He'd be like a proto-RoboCop.

huey with turbo wheelchair that transffarms into a t-rex with a cobra head with wings, he can use a especialized cqc for the handicaped, then he gets a HF blade and rides over the ufo metal gear thing and bangs the lesbian.

seriusly it might be cool if there it was a series of side missions with other characters, for example amanda takes some vehicles or do some guerrilla ops, miller rescues snake from the mission, paz half naked pop song quick time event, taking stealth photos of animals or something as cecile, more stuff with msf, outer ops in other maps that works like "brutal leguend" control vehicles and soldiers or something like that, I mean now you got a multicore processor.
at least they could used hi-res snake face during gameplay (you control hi def snake during the tutorial) why noy using it all the time on the hd remake??

[Image: banner.jpg]
10-04-2011, 05:50 PM

FRANKASTER Wrote:why noy using it all the time on the hd remake??
Because it's not a remake.

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
10-05-2011, 01:44 PM

Does it really matter? I know I'm the last guy to be talking having nitpicked every MG game for the last 12 years, but I kinda find the article pointless. None of this matters. Just wait for the moment when you can finally let Metal Gear politics go, you'll see. I can so relate to what Big Boss tells Snake at the end of MGS4... All this pointless evaluating and discussion over games that will never stand the test of time. Neither one is a classic. Neither one will be remembered. Hell, MPO already faded out.

Honestly, that's why I'm into Uncharted now. Fun games that don't need evaluating, just enjoying. The Metal Gear series turned into a tangled mess that lost any element of fun...

METAL GEAR FOREVER 2001-2012
[Image: MetalGearForever.gif]
10-05-2011, 05:48 PM

You can just as easily simply have fun with Metal Gear as you can argue wither or not some things were done better in Uncharted than Uncharted 2.

10-05-2011, 09:03 PM

No, not really. First, there was nothing in Uncharted 1 that was better than Uncharted 2, from the technology point of view. And second, messy politics aside, Metal Gear games are not "fun" games. I can't even really consider them "games" as they clearly strive to reach a deeper purpose than just entertainment. My point was that all this analyzing is pointless. Remember when Ghost Babel was a hot topic? The game is all but forgotten now by most people. Heck, most of the new generation of fans barely heard of it. And rightfully so.

Don't you get tired of this, Ravi? Think about it, few of you writings are not critical of the series. You constantly show off what was done wrong and make fun of it. One would wonder if you are actually a fan of the series at all. I've come to realize that these games aren't as amazing as I once thought myself. The design of MPO, the plot of MGS4, the development of MGS2... All things that have been debated and criticized over and over. What was resolved? What was settled? What was achieved? Nothing.

10-05-2011, 10:01 PM

A.G. Wrote:No, not really. First, there was nothing in Uncharted 1 that was better than Uncharted 2, from the technology point of view.
Okay, then how about something subjective like the plot?
A.G. Wrote:And second, messy politics aside, Metal Gear games are not "fun" games. I can't even really consider them "games" as they clearly strive to reach a deeper purpose than just entertainment. My point was that all this analyzing is pointless.
Okay then. Stop analyzing the games as being anything more than entertainment and have fun. Seriously. It's that simple.
A.G. Wrote:Remember when Ghost Babel was a hot topic? The game is all but forgotten now by most people. Heck, most of the new generation of fans barely heard of it. And rightfully so.

Don't you get tired of this, Ravi? Think about it, few of you writings are not critical of the series. You constantly show off what was done wrong and make fun of it. One would wonder if you are actually a fan of the series at all. I've come to realize that these games aren't as amazing as I once thought myself. The design of MPO, the plot of MGS4, the development of MGS2... All things that have been debated and criticized over and over. What was resolved? What was settled? What was achieved? Nothing.
Sure, but why bother discussing anything at all? Most things we have little power over. Why debate on what people should have faith in? Or how to improve living conditions? Or wither or not you prefer Coke over Pepsi? Why does anything at all matter?

Also, the whole "how can you be a fan if you're a critic" thing is based on the fallacy that in order to enjoy something you have to have an uncritical zeal towards it. On the contrary, plenty of Star Wars, Prince and Sonic the Hedgehog fans exist. Unlike critics who are not fans, these people are being critical for the desire of good end products.

10-05-2011, 10:41 PM

But you're not gonna get good products, that's the issue. You can discuss how much the canon is suffering all you want, but there will be an MGS5 anyway. Hell, I be Solid Snake will be back too.

I'm not saying you shouldn't discuss things in general, but don't you get tired of spinning your wheels about how they should've done this or why they changed that? Hey, the early production HUD on a mediocre game that will eventually be forgotten was the same as on the shitty game that is currently almost forgotten. lol. Honestly, it's about as relevant as talking about MG1 MSX vs NES, two games that are covered in dust now.

You'll get there, Ravi. I never thought I would reach a point where the light bulb finally clicks and you realize just how little this all means. I just wish I learned that sooner and not wasted my time on MGF.

10-05-2011, 11:43 PM

A.G. Wrote:But you're not gonna get good products, that's the issue.
Not necessarily. Out of the things I have mentioned, only Star Wars has done little in regard to feedback. SEGA has especially turned Sonic around. Prince has yried to emulate what made him a hit in the 1980s.

But let's look at Metal Gear. Everything that was done after Sons of Liberty when it comes to narrative and overall storytelling is a result of the reactionary response to Sons of Liberty. The reason why Guns of the Patriots even exists and the reason why it was what it was is because of fan feedback. I felt alone when it came to expressing my opinions on the series canon and while I pointed out to you earlier that the argument about critical fans not being considered fans at all is a fallacy, I did that a lot as well as accusations of simply trolling up until I think 2008.

I rarely hear anything like that anymore. I believe the general fanbase of the Metal Gear series is now favoring intellectual storytelling and emphasis on stealth over action in gameplay, but this was not the case prior. Will this translate to actual good Metal Gear titles? I'm skeptical as always and I would not be surprised to see Solid Snake appearing in a future title, free canon be damned. However, Kojima Productions does to some degree listen to feedback. The recent aspect ratio fiasco is testament to that. I also think they're reworking Rising due to feedback because I can't see why else they'd throw it in the closet for an entire year.
A.G. Wrote:Hey, the early production HUD on a mediocre game that will eventually be forgotten was the same as on the shitty game that is currently almost forgotten. lol.
You clearly missed the point I was making with that example.
A.G. Wrote:Honestly, it's about as relevant as talking about MG1 MSX vs NES, two games that are covered in dust now.
Well, I'd actually say you're incorrect on relevance, as Peace Walker will be brought to a larger audience next month, so the subject is fairly relevant. But let's assume that this is not the case. In fact, let's just say I was comparing the MSX and NES versions of Metal Gear. Sure, it's been twenty-five years after the fact. Then again, people talk about classic games all the time. People still compare Hitchcock's North By Northwest to Dr No. People still compare The Beatles before and after they started doing a lot of drugs. The only relevance that is necessary is the interest in the subject. If the audience finds it interesting, then it is of some relevant to their interests. Based on the increase in unique user hits since posting this article for The 'Soup, I'd say that it's relevant enough for many people to read or at least skim.
A.G. Wrote:You'll get there, Ravi. I never thought I would reach a point where the light bulb finally clicks and you realize just how little this all means. I just wish I learned that sooner and not wasted my time on MGF.
Well I don't want to give the impression that I have illusions of contributing to something of importance here. I'm not making any money. I am in no way advancing any of my major life goals. My main interests are actually medicine and economics. I think the peak of the series was Snake Eater, while Kojima's magnum opus was Sons of Liberty. The Metal Gear fan community in general has overall shrunk since 2008. But none of that even really matters to me in regards to what I do. I don't have any real aim when working on The Snake Soup except to have fun and to be able to voice my opinions and analysis. I suppose you could call it a minor hobby of mine.

I know someone who for fun works on a Volkswagen Beetle for racing purposes. He and his buddies go to the desert and actually race the thing maybe once a month. Sure, he's won a few times, but asides from a trophy it's not like he gets anything to show for it. The news doesn't really care about this kind of racing. He spends a lot of money on tools and parts while spending his days off in the garage. Maybe one day he'll wake up and look at his Bug and be fatigued at the idea of continuing this. But did he really waste his time? If he had fun, no, I don't think he did. If I ever get bored of this, which I can see happening, I'd just quit. I wouldn't really have any remorse for the time spent on this though because, right now, I'm having fun.

10-06-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:The reason why Guns of the Patriots even exists and the reason why it was what it was is because of fan feedback.

Not true. Popular belief, but time has shown us that it would’ve happened anyway. First, look at the feedback itself. What did we get in MGS4? With so many complaints about answering all the questions and tying everything together, this was hardly a fan service. Nobody asked for what we ended up with. Further more, after all the talk about this being the end and Kojima’s final Metal Gear with everything finished and completed, we still got a Kojima Metal Gear game 2 years later. Why would he do that if MGS4 was created as a fan service? Simple, it wasn’t. MGS4, much like Peace Walker, would’ve happened anyway. Just like MGS5 will happen. It has nothing to do with fan service. The sales of MGS3 weren’t anything spectacular, far less than MGS1. MGS2 was a big money-maker, no shock that MGS3 came about. But by the time Snake Eater came out, the Metal Gear popularity was shot and a mere fraction of what it was for MGS1/MGS2 era. So it’s silly to think that MGS4 was made due to big fan demand. And when you factor in the sales of MGS4… lol You have your proof right there.

Quote:However, Kojima Productions does to some degree listen to feedback. The recent aspect ratio fiasco is testament to that. I also think they're reworking Rising due to feedback because I can't see why else they'd throw it in the closet for an entire year.

Yeah, when the product absolutely sucks. They have no choice but to make some adjustments when what’s left of their fanbase flat out rejects what they are previewing. Rising is on hold, I believe, in an effort to create something new. Traditional Metal Gear formula is as outdated today as the PlayStation one. They have to come up with something new and fresh. But I don’t think fan feedback has anything to do with that. I think the dwindling fanbase is a lot more of a reason.

Quote:People still compare Hitchcock's North By Northwest to Dr No. People still compare The Beatles before and after they started doing a lot of drugs. The only relevance that is necessary is the interest in the subject. If the audience finds it interesting, then it is of some relevant to their interests. Based on the increase in unique user hits since posting this article for The 'Soup, I'd say that it's relevant enough for many people to read or at least skim.

But do you feel fulfilled writing it? Is it really worth your time to sit there and nitpick history that interests fewer and fewer fans each year? Do you remember the old debates about Ghost Babel? Was it anything but a complete waste of time? YES!

Quote:But none of that even really matters to me in regards to what I do. I don't have any real aim when working on The Snake Soup except to have fun and to be able to voice my opinions and analysis. I suppose you could call it a minor hobby of mine.

I thought the same thing for 10 years. Then I woke up and realized that I needed a better hobby.

Quote:I know someone who for fun works on a Volkswagen Beetle for racing purposes. He and his buddies go to the desert and actually race the thing maybe once a month. Sure, he's won a few times, but asides from a trophy it's not like he gets anything to show for it. The news doesn't really care about this kind of racing. He spends a lot of money on tools and parts while spending his days off in the garage. Maybe one day he'll wake up and look at his Bug and be fatigued at the idea of continuing this. But did he really waste his time? If he had fun, no, I don't think he did. If I ever get bored of this, which I can see happening, I'd just quit. I wouldn't really have any remorse for the time spent on this though because, right now, I'm having fun.

Yeah, but that’s a real hobby though. Years from now, when you get to the point I mentioned, you will look back at this statement and laugh (or cry). I turned 30 this year, and you know what? I wish I spent the time building the car and racing it in a desert. Would’ve been a far better memory than sitting in front of a computer screen and debating/nitpicking a videos game that don’t matter. And for what? A fan community? Did it matter that Metal Gear Net was the hot spot of Metal Gear discussions? Did it matter that TUS got big? No. They are both gone and forgotten. And that’s my point. All that time, all that effort, for nothing. When it’s all said and done, there is nothing to show for it.

10-06-2011, 09:41 AM

Sounds like someone's going through a midlife crisis.

A.G. Wrote:No. They are both gone and forgotten. And that’s my point. All that time, all that effort, for nothing. When it’s all said and done, there is nothing to show for it.
Listen man, this could be said about anything. You could spend your entire life working on the most globally relevant things ever, but in the end you'd still die and nothing would matter. Doing things in the hope that they'll last forever is stupid. Whether you play games, have fun, and die; or you do something else, feel whatever about it, and die. In the end, it all "goes back to zero".

So nobody's saying what we do in any way matters. It's just that we're having fun. Look at Steve Jobs. He was one of the most successful people who ever lived. And I bet he enjoyed what he did. He entered all the history books but now he's dead and he's the same as any other dead person. To him, everything is over. So life is one of those instances where the ends really don't matter. You could work to become successful, but it's all about how you measure success. What does having your name in the history books matter if you spent your life doing something you hate and then died before you could appreciate the results?

We don't play and discuss Metal Gear in the hopes that any of that will change the world. We do it because to us, it's a good way to spend our time as any. Sometimes we feel like going to the beach instead and we do that. You see what I'm getting at? What you do doesn't matter. It's how you feel about doing it that matters. And ultimately, nothing matters.

HORSE STEALTH

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)