The Seiko Watch is for time travel?
06-19-2013, 02:07 PM
The Seiko Watch is for time travel?
I was thinking. The Seiko Watch gadget is probably an in-game time speeder-upper.

Basically, say you reach an area by the afternoon MGSV time. But it'd be most advantageous to wait until Nightfall, or tomorrow morning to infiltrate that area.

Instead of going to do something else, you pull up your watch, and hit R2 to fast forward wind the time. You watch the seconds tick by, the sun change positions and meanwhile, Big Boss has a smoke while he's waiting.

Only thing is you can't go backwards, this is just there to speed up game play if you're in a hurry.

There might also be a limitation as to how far into the future you can go, or dates are unnecessary so it's just day night cycles. Though it would've been cool if you forward wound the watch all the way up to the events of MG1/2 and the digits of the watch change to 'TIME PARADOX' and Big Boss spontaneously combusts...
06-22-2013, 10:14 AM

Kojima just confirmed that the in-game day-night cycle is currently set to six hours, so a device to speed that up makes sense.

Suzaku Wrote:Hah. As if you'd enjoy a new Metal Gear game in the first place, you bitchy, impossible-to-please coprophiliac, you.
Pocket Abortions' Quality Blog for Children
06-22-2013, 11:55 AM

That would make it too easy though, wouldn't it? I guess using it would be optional though

Benny Harvey, RIP
06-26-2013, 01:49 PM

The fact that they had to speed up certain parts of the trailer kinda bothered me. It looks as if the desert really doesn't have anything interesting to offer.
06-26-2013, 02:05 PM

I bet the desert and other open area parts are where you'll go to capture vehicles sort of like in Peace Walker

Benny Harvey, RIP
06-26-2013, 02:59 PM

NiggaBytes Wrote:The fact that they had to speed up certain parts of the trailer kinda bothered me. It looks as if the desert really doesn't have anything interesting to offer.

They obviously did it for time considerations.

But in any case, actual deserts are full of nothing.

And also welcome to 'Open World' Game design. There's not much thought or content. But there's freedom! Americans love freedom! Look how BIG and VAST the world is, just like the US Map! 10/10 GOTY!!!

I'd take the MGS1/2/3 directed linear mini sandbox level models any day.
06-26-2013, 09:28 PM

An assortment of dozens of car to capture from, oh boy!

I kinda like the idea of open-world MGS with a set of missions that you can tackle in any order, but so far it doesn't look at all that interesting level-design wise. I'm also curious to know how these missions work in conjunction to the "non-mission" segments between missions. Does each mission have its own rank at the end, or does the game count it all together and you get a rank at the end of the game?

Either way, I've heard certain missions only appear at certain times so I can't imagine there not being a way to pass the time besides letting the game sit for a few hours.
06-29-2013, 04:51 AM

Couldn't this be abused though? Like if you are waiting in a dangerous place you could just fast forward till the enemy leaves or something...

Punished John Wrote:
PUNISHED POLLY
A Nintendocrat who stands her ground
Soup Awards 2010 Wrote:BEST FEMALE POSTER
PollyannaX
06-29-2013, 05:13 AM

I think there will be limits. For example, in Fallout 3, you can't fast-travel if there are enemies nearby.

Cool Stuff I Worked On:
Seeing Things For What They Are - Raiden & Rose Analysis
MYTH: Hideo Kojima said that Portable Ops and Metal Gear Rising are canonical
Metal Gear Solid V: Parasitic Legacy
06-29-2013, 11:26 AM

Pollyannax Wrote:Couldn't this be abused though? Like if you are waiting in a dangerous place you could just fast forward till the enemy leaves or something...

Probably won't work on Alert or Caution.
06-29-2013, 12:25 PM

I guess. It needs to have SOME kind of limit.

Punished John Wrote:
PUNISHED POLLY
A Nintendocrat who stands her ground
Soup Awards 2010 Wrote:BEST FEMALE POSTER
PollyannaX
07-16-2013, 10:05 AM

jdnation Wrote:[quote="NiggaBytes"]I'd take the MGS1/2/3 directed linear mini sandbox level models any day.

Not me. I was so disappointed when I came to my first area transition in MGS4.

"When I first played Metal Gear Solid I was but a boy. Then after watching Snake and Meryl ride off into the sunset I was [SIC] suddenly had six hungry mouths to feed and a pile of bills to pay. Metal Gear ruined my childhood."

[Image: foxhoundmg2.gif]
07-16-2013, 06:48 PM

Mexican Sting Wrote:Not me. I was so disappointed when I came to my first area transition in MGS4.

So fucking much this. It's the main reason I don't go back and play the damn thing

Benny Harvey, RIP
07-18-2013, 05:48 AM

SpaceByrd Wrote:
Mexican Sting Wrote:Not me. I was so disappointed when I came to my first area transition in MGS4.

So fucking much this. It's the main reason I don't go back and play the damn thing

That's because MGS4 was made to mimic an open world but without the open world. MGS1-3 were designed differently. Frankly I just wish they'd use that same philosophy with creating every area and just made the transitions seamless. MGS3 did this well enough. Just need a bigger scope, and multiple pathways (just get rid of the corridors between each portion.) It's not a gigantic map, but everything feels big and seamless with plenty of ways to mess around in and more effort put into the environments rather than the empty useless space of typical Open World Games. I still prefer Open Level Design versus the Open World.

Though maybe MGSV will be different as I always hated the mission structure of games like GTA, Assassin's Creed etc. It's why I never play them. I must've spent an hour in Assassin's Creed II & GTAIV before turning it off and never turning those games back on again and I got them as presents. Should've sold them earlier on when I could've gotten more money but I always deluded myself that maybe just maybe I'd try them again to see why everyone likes them so much.

Peace Walker's model would be good with an Open World because at least you know where you have to go next to progress through the main story.
07-18-2013, 08:18 AM

The idea of open world games is good, just being able to go around and fuck about sounds like a great game. Most of the time though you get punished for doing fun things like killing civies, which is usually the thing everyone starts doing after you finish the game(because it's fun). GTA4 has no replay value unless you like the tedious pigeon shooting or flag collecting in AC. I guess you really have to be into the idea of wasting time doing things that are ultimately pointless.

This is why I'm kind of scared about MGSV.

Benny Harvey, RIP

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)