The Phantom Pain Spoiler Free Review Roundup
08-24-2015, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2015 02:30 PM by jdnation.)
RE: The Phantom Pain Spoiler Free Review Roundup
Keifer not speaking...

Along with a soldier who can't speak, called QUIET, and stripped of her own clothing while being tortured...

This is why Kojima needed new underwear, it was all Konami allowed him to wear so he doesn't smuggle out company secrets...

[Image: 2014-08-2414_16_12-hiyqjnq.png]

[Image: tumblr_inline_nasu5iwvec1qmjvtr.bmp]

This was Kojima trying to tell us it was what was happening to him all along! This is what Konami was doing to him... but we were too stupid to understand, we just called him a bigot and now it's too late.... it's all fucking over now...

We're sorry Kojima... we are all now ashamed of my words and deeds......you trusted us to be smarter than this! But we all let you down...
08-24-2015, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2015 04:01 PM by Daggamuffin.)
PlayStation Universe
Reviewed by Michael Harradence

+ "I’d argue that this is the first Metal Gear Solid title to truly feel like a stealth game"
+ Multiple ways to approach each objective, with pros and cons to each method
+ Boss battles require more strategy
+ Micromanaging Mother Base is addicting and not monotonous
+ Equipment drops on the field are useful when you're forced to adapt to changing conditions
+ Side missions, as well as Outer Ops feel like a cohesive part of the experience, rather than tacked on extraneous content
+ No frame rate issues
- Not the most graphically impressive game you'll find on PS4
+ Voice work is exceptional, especially Kiefer Sutherland and Troy Baker
+ Scoring system adds extra incentive to replay missions
+ The best game in the series

Score: 9.5/10
Link to review

Stuff
Reviewed by Justin Mahboubian-Jones

+ "More Inspector Gadget than James Bond"
+ None of the "sillier" elements of the game are executed badly
"The Phantom Pain is centred around Solid’s genetically identical father" Ugh
"this outing really should be called Metal Gear: Naked" More ugh
+ The game synthesizes many modern gaming tropes into one big game
- The open world isn't as good as The Witcher III's
"A cocktail of Black Hawk Down and Transformers" Jesus Christ
- "its principal female character is a bikini-babe mute, which is problematic to say the least"
- "Originality, gender equality, and suspension of disbelief are far from MGS5’s strengths"

Score: 4/5
Link to review

---
Broken bones require different treatment than an infection does
---
PSN ID: DeadByDagger
Gamertag: xDeadByDaggerx
08-24-2015, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2015 04:30 PM by Daggamuffin.)
The Telegraph
Reviewed by Kirk McKeand

- Skull Face likened to a Scooby Doo villain
- Quiet is too much of a misogynistic character
- The justification for her offensive outfit is "so stupid I’m sure a bit of brain fluid leaked from my ear"
+ A mixture of all of the best ideas from the entire series
- Very little dialogue, especially from Snake, who barely talks at all
- The opening is barely interactive and nonsensical
+ Afghanistan is a great map and being able to approach objectives any way is great
+ Very little screen clutter
+ Soldiers have individual faces, stats, and traits
+ You can micromanage however much you want
+ Constant sense of tension
+ The stories you create are better than the scripted story
+ The game encourages you to live with your mistakes rather than just reloading a previous checkpoint
+ "the options feel as broad as your imagination"
- Many of the missions feel similar
- The back half of the game requires a lot of backtracking a replaying old missions
- Boss battles feel generic
+ "one of the best anecdote generators I’ve ever played"
+ The perfect entry point and a satisfying conclusion
+ Best game in the series

Score: 5/5
Link to review

Xbox Achievements
Reviewed by Richard Walker

+ "A sort of 'best of' comprising Metal Gear Solid's finest moments"
+ Enemy AI is very sharp
+ The open world and vast toolset allows for endless ways to complete missions
+ The first hour is absolute insanity
- Story is stretched incredibly thin
- Very few lines from Snake
+ "everything that we love about the Metal Gear series, from outlandish villains to insane and often mirth-inducing quirks"
+ Gameplay is fluid
+ Plenty of side missions
+ Afghanistan and Africa are very different in every way
+ Achievements/Trophies are varied and spread out very nicely
+ Never anything less than fun

Score: 93/100
Link to review

---
---
08-25-2015, 10:36 AM
I don't take reviews from Femnazis seriously. Kirk and Justin can go fuck themselves
08-25-2015, 01:32 PM
IGN review score explanation. No spoilers.

08-25-2015, 04:21 PM
I just want to remind everyone that a lot of people gave MGS4 perfect 10s back when it came out.

Benny Harvey, RIP
08-25-2015, 04:37 PM
The funny thing too is that a lot of the reviews point out a ton of shit they didn't like, including the two perfect 10 reviews.

---
---
08-26-2015, 01:37 AM
I'd just like to remind everyone GTA 4 & 5 got 10s, them games where FAR from perfect! The only game i think that deserved a 10 was The Last of us, and Gone Home. Gone Home because of its story and way it was told
08-26-2015, 04:50 AM
(08-26-2015 01:37 AM)beanxt Wrote:  The only game i think that deserved a 10 was The Last of us, and Gone Home. Gone Home because of its story

Haha. What?

Benny Harvey, RIP
08-26-2015, 05:09 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2015 05:16 AM by Elman.)
(08-26-2015 01:37 AM)beanxt Wrote:  The Last of us

[Image: shaq-laughing-press-conference-shaq-gifs.gif]

This is my signature. Like you give a fuck.
08-26-2015, 06:50 AM
A heads up that the Washington Post's review contains spoilers. I find that many of the non-gaming publications tend to be more candid about the game.
08-26-2015, 10:26 AM
IGN has a spoiler-free podcast here with their reviewer. Listened to it. It's pretty clean. Only discusses one of the missions already mentioned regarding to tracking down a general but doesn't get into specifics other than to praise how open it is. Gives some of his feelings about the story, but doesn't say anything other than that he wishes it was better and that given it's a prequel there are of course many things left open that are concluded in subsequent games obviously.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/08/25/po...antom-pain
08-26-2015, 05:21 PM
Listened to that podcast at work today. The experiences he described sounded really goddamn cool.

---
---
08-27-2015, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2015 10:20 AM by PoisonSnake.)
(08-26-2015 06:50 AM)Danger Close Wrote:  A heads up that the Washington Post's review contains spoilers. I find that many of the non-gaming publications tend to be more candid about the game.
Where's that? I just opened the Washintgton's Post page...
Ah, never mind, just found it... geez, not sure I wanna read all this...
Any chance Daggamuffin will compile it??

Ok, I'm reading it... whatever. By the way should someone open a MGSV SPOILER ALERT spoiler discussion by now?
I think we could start going over the cream in there.
08-27-2015, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2015 11:51 AM by jdnation.)
Digital FOundry technical article comparing PS4 & Xbone
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1102881

GAF also started a spoiler-free impression thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1102875

- Opening is one of the best openings in any MGS game, for comparison my favorite was the MGS2 opening. Be sure that you're free for like 2 or so hours so you could experience it with no interruptions.
-Harry Gregson-Williams score is phenominal. Has the feeling of triumph, sadness, anger and some synth mixed in.
-Exploring the open world is kind of empty but traversing + collecting things for MB is fun because the game is such a joy to control. As you progress through the game you'll want to revisit previous missions because you're slowly gaining new shit to experiment with.
-I cannot stress this enough, THE TAPES ARE VERY IMPORTANT. Big Boss talks there alot and even though he talks in cutscenes as well he's much more of a silent person but make no mistake, the facial performance is great and you can feel what he's feeling without saying it(I'm the guy who prefers if he talks but I also welcome this take as well)
-Game is overwhelming at first but after a few hours, everything will become second nature to the player.
-Didn't find many Easter Eggs but for those who have the game, go to your MotherBase and tranquilize Ocelot. See what happens.
-The game looks much better than GZ on Xbox One and the pop-in is reduced significantly.
-The animations and overall control feels on point and fine tuned much better than GZ ever was.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)