The Greatest Enemy of Liberty
04-19-2009, 06:20 PM
The Greatest Enemy of Liberty
<< An Introduction to the Free Market of Topics

When I started The Snake Soup back in 2003, the internet was a very different place. For starters, the site's forums' biggest criticisms was that we allowed "flamers," "colorful language," and in general, had "lazy mods" (although in actuality, our mods were told to promote a lasseiz-faire philosophy on the forums). After being in so many forums and being subdued to rules I found restrictive I tried to establish a haven of sorts that promotes freedom of speech--including speech I personally disagree with.

This has, for the most part, worked perfectly well until recently, perhaps around 2008. So what has happened in five years? Most seem to believe that the problems are in the fact that we don't have too many rules and enough moderators. Or perhaps the moderators are badly chosen.

No, actually. The less rules and less moderators we have, the more freedom is given to members and the more discussions we will be having. In actuality, the biggest enemy of liberty on The 'Soup is drama.

Drama is why people want more rules--rules that will specifically target members they have drama with. Why on Earth do we need a rule to make sure members are English majors? Why is "flaming" all of a sudden a concern? Drama is why we allegedly need more moderators--mods that will babysit everyone and take down members they have drama with.

Interestingly enough, I might have contributed to this. The moderator elections? European Extreme mode? Fury Friday? However lets not also forget some of the other members. Anything that's an "experiment" is essentially asking for drama.

The solution is to once again utilize the free market. Ignore people you dislike. Ignore topics you dislike. The forums work in a way in that the more posts and attention you give someone, the more popular they are. Thus, drama helps fuel things that are generally disliked.

The answer is NOT in the admin such as me let alone the moderators or new rules. Remember, an administration big enough to give you everything you want is an administration big enough to take everything away.

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
04-19-2009, 06:54 PM

Your asking people to be mature on the internet, lol.

For the same reason so many laws and rules apply to real life, people can't be trusted to themselves.
04-19-2009, 06:55 PM

Then let me ask you, sir.

What happens when someone you are trying to ignore also happens to have power?

What happens when that person comes to a decision that "Oh, that post is against the rules. Warning issued."?

You became involved. You can no longer ignore that person.

Then what, sir?
04-19-2009, 06:56 PM

Econs Wrote:Then let me ask you, sir.

What happens when someone you are trying to ignore also happens to have power?

What happens when that person comes to a decision that "Oh, that post is against the rules. Warning issued."?

You became involved. You can no longer ignore that person.

Then what, sir?
What warning was issued that involved you?

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
04-19-2009, 06:58 PM

Firstly, defending the moderators descision that E.Extreme 2 was a "stupid idea, fury friday."

The public twitter incedent was another.
04-19-2009, 06:59 PM

Econs Wrote:Firstly, defending the moderators descision that E.Extreme 2 was a "stupid idea, fury friday."

The public twitter incedent was another.
You didn't answer my question.

04-19-2009, 07:00 PM

Both of those warnings involved me, as the moderator issued them to me, even though you revoked both of them.

How do I ignore that, when my freedoms were in question?
04-19-2009, 07:03 PM

I do not recall revoking any warning that was given to you. In fact, I do not recall seeing any warning that was given to you during my absence.

04-19-2009, 07:06 PM

That's because the other moderators realized the mistake, and revoked it for me.

And the mass fury friday warning issued on saturday, you revoked, in which my name was one of them in RE to the EExtreme
04-19-2009, 07:10 PM

Econs Wrote:That's because the other moderators realized the mistake, and revoked it for me.
Then the system worked.
Econs Wrote:And the mass fury friday warning issued on saturday, you revoked, in which my name was one of them in RE to the EExtreme
Yet nobody revoked that. How odd.

04-19-2009, 07:11 PM

We fought it. The moderator was insistant that he was right, issuing a Fury Friday warning to multiple people on a Saturday.
04-19-2009, 07:13 PM

Wow. One moderator is able to topple the 1,827,176,627 other ones?

Maybe we need more moderators!!!111

04-19-2009, 07:16 PM

You need less butthurt fags.
04-19-2009, 07:16 PM

Perhaps we need less to none.
04-19-2009, 07:24 PM

Enemy Wrote:You need less butthurt fags.
Butthurt is essentially the antonym to ignoring things.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)