Ten years of 'Soup
11-04-2013, 12:34 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2013 07:06 PM by Nike Schneider.)
Ten years of 'Soup
I've been less than honest about what I've really been up to with regards to The 'Soup. Yes, I'm retired and I still would like to say that I am--there is no way that I can dedicate myself to such a project full-time and also dedicate myself to my future career along with an actual social life. However, for the past few months I've been secretly working on a new version of The Snake Soup which I am pleased to say is finally complete and totally fucking sweet.

Some of the old content is there but the site has come to terms with the modern state of the fan community and has changed focus on news curating, with the occasional article or video update. The forums, which were previously running on software developed in 2002, are now running on completely new software. If you had a forum account before, your account will still work. A few things could not be ported over and some posts may look funny, but a good chunk should be there.

The site has a new look and layout that should be less of a clusterfuck. It also is optimized for iPhones. Probably could have optimized it for Android/Windows 7/Whatever-the-fuck but I don't have access to such devices. Sorry? Maybe I can work on that or make sure the site is at least functional at a basic level for such devices. Honestly, it might already be, I have no idea. Web development for mobile devices is a fucking nightmare by the way, and I thank Maxwell for making sure shit works on iOS7.

There are still things that may need to be worked on. Other than Maxwell, nobody but me has seen this site until now. I will set up our Twitter and Facebook profile to also update when there is more news posted. Our RSS feed does just that and you can go ahead and utilize it. The RSS feed should also load if you pin the site using Windows 8. Speaking of pinning and such, you can also add The 'Soup to your home screen on iOS devices.

It's crazy to think that as of this year, this stupid little hobby of mine has been running for ten years. If this was a child, it would be old enough to know what "hashtagyoloswag" means. My God. There has been the occasional downtime, of course. Technically speaking the site wasn't "down" the past year but it barely had any updates and the forums became a wasteland of folks shitposting... though surprisingly enough, it still held up with regards to serious and rewarding discussion with no moderator activity. So I'd like to think that The 'Soup was in a coma and it just woke up with a horn sticking out of its head and a missing arm.

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
11-04-2013, 01:16 AM
Rainbow RE: Ten years of 'Soup

But yeah, some icons look weird and shit. Not sure how I'll adjust to the new Soup.

So now creating accounts is possible again?

Who the fuck even reads signatures these days? Oh right...
11-04-2013, 01:18 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 01:46 AM by Nike Schneider.)
RE: Ten years of 'Soup
Yup. I hopefully made it damn near impossible for non-humans and obnoxious Chinese knock-off retailers from registering.

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
11-04-2013, 02:14 AM
It's... Beautiful....

I speak English, Japanese, and Spanish... I still have no fucking clue what you just said.
11-04-2013, 02:28 AM

Nice mile stone, Ravi.
11-04-2013, 02:33 AM
This kept you waiting good, eh, isn't it?
11-04-2013, 02:45 AM
I always wonder if Dr. Singh will talk to his patients about MGS. Will you?
...anyway this is pretty. Pretty sweet.

it is what it is
11-04-2013, 04:02 AM
Fucking Awesome.

Don't have anything cool to said.

Whatever.

Long live the 'Soup and Ravi
11-04-2013, 04:16 AM
I am posting here to hopefully get clicks to my own site.

Just kidding damn it. The main forum page looks shrunk as a little dick in ice water, but I'd say everything else looks properly sharp. Ten years brings back a lot of memories, and I used to visit this place several times a day to get all the latest news and updates. Lots of good articles too.

[Image: patriot2.png]
11-04-2013, 09:23 AM
This is going to take some getting used to...

So when's the precise date for the 10 years anniversary?

We should throw a party.

10 YEARS OF SOUP FIESTA

[Image: 7uj6lM0.gif]
11-04-2013, 10:18 AM
love it!

"Darkness isn't always evil, but light is often quite deceptively evil."

"Look, I hate purity, I hate goodness!"

http://www.fleen.com/uploads/2010/07/mort-239x300.jpg
11-04-2013, 11:04 AM
SOUP HAS CHANGED.

Never doubt yourself. Just let it make you stronger. Learn something from it.
11-04-2013, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 11:23 AM by Punished Shinobi.)
Time sure flies... or does it not? The world... has changed... this site has changed.. its users.. everything has changed.

I definitely did not know this site in 2003, for me, that really seems like an eternity. Who knows what the next 10 years bring..
Who could even predict?
[Image: tumblr_lvx89qlCNP1r2uvl2o1_500.gif]

By the way: I think the Soup is one of the few english Metal Gear communities without a full blown major hard reset, like TUS, mgoforums.com etc. Post MGS4, that is. (Layout changes excluded).

The Times Wrote:
Punished Shinobi
A Member who lost his Past
[Image: 2r77bkm.jpg]
11-04-2013, 12:29 PM
(11-04-2013 09:23 AM)jdnation Wrote:  We should throw a party.

10 YEARS OF SOUP FIESTA

[Image: 7uj6lM0.gif]
I like to party.
(11-04-2013 09:23 AM)jdnation Wrote:  So when's the precise date for the 10 years anniversary?
August 1st... welp.
(11-04-2013 04:16 AM)Mr. Wolfe Wrote:  The main forum page looks shrunk as a little dick after molly...
Fixed.
(11-04-2013 02:45 AM)Julia Wrote:  I always wonder if Dr. Singh will talk to his patients about MGS. Will you?
I guess if I want to put them to sleep.

11-04-2013, 02:47 PM
If Im your nurse assistant.. we will never have our patients---- sleeping. lmao

it is what it is

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)