TPP April 2014~March 2015 release window basically confirmed
08-14-2013, 06:26 AM
TPP April 2014~March 2015 release window basically confirmed
Quote:Konami - still saying smaller Metal Gear coming this year (to be announced soon) while TPP title wont be until FY end Mar 2015

https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/367505382903517185

Gibson is a financial analyst and this is from Konami's fiscal calls. If the release window is the 2014-2015 fiscal year then that makes October/November 2014 the best bet. Also heavily implied that Ground Zeroes will get a separate release and be released this year.

None of this should be surprising, but hopefully we can put the conspiracy theories about offhand twitter comments made in 2011 to rest. This does mean that a release as early as April is still possible, but then a smaller title later this year wouldn't make any sense.

Suzaku Wrote:Hah. As if you'd enjoy a new Metal Gear game in the first place, you bitchy, impossible-to-please coprophiliac, you.
Pocket Abortions' Quality Blog for Children
08-14-2013, 03:48 PM

What I want to know is whether Ground Zeroes is its own standalone thing, or is it Kojima selling us the first chapter of TPP first, and when we buy TPP it comes included anyway?

Because I ain't paying twice.

Also this sounds like Ground Zeroes will be 360/PS3 only, no next gen version. Which is alright with me anyway.
08-14-2013, 06:01 PM

jdnation Wrote:What I want to know is whether Ground Zeroes is its own standalone thing, or is it Kojima selling us the first chapter of TPP first, and when we buy TPP it comes included anyway?

Because I ain't paying twice.

Also this sounds like Ground Zeroes will be 360/PS3 only, no next gen version. Which is alright with me anyway.

There's several ways they could handle it:

1) Release it as a stand-alone prologue a la Dead Rising 2: Case Zero

2) Release it as a demo along with Lords of Shadow 2 or PES 2014, as they did with the Tanker Chapter and Z.O.E.

3) Release it as a free demo

4) Expand it and release it as it's own 30~60 dollar game

If I were Konami, I would negotiate with Microsoft and Sony to release it as a free demo on either platform, with the platform holder paying the hosting and bandwidth costs completely, both to generate goodwill (something very few publishers understand, Valve and Sony being among the few) and to encourage next-gen hardware adoption by the time MGS5 proper is released. That's not going to happen because Konami's decision makers are out-of-touch pencil pushers without a forward-thinking bone in their bodies.

Suzaku Wrote:Hah. As if you'd enjoy a new Metal Gear game in the first place, you bitchy, impossible-to-please coprophiliac, you.
08-14-2013, 07:01 PM

Microsoft would never go for that.

Sony might be willing as a PS+ incentive.

But this is Konami we're talking about.

If I were them I'd give the game value by making it a standalone product that won't be part of TPP and sell it for $40 considering it being marketed as a smaller affair. Digital & Physical.

Let it have tons of replay value and let things you achieve in it carry over into TPP which reads your save file. A Mass Effect kind of deal...

What Konami could do is release free mini DLC for it like they did MGS4 along with some other neat things:
-mission updates
-recruitable soldiers
-outfits
-new areas
-new weapons
-briefing tapes/music

Stuff like that will keep the ball rolling until TPP arrives.

But most likely Konami will do those things as a F2P model and nickel and dime us.
08-14-2013, 07:18 PM

jdnation Wrote:Microsoft would never go for that.

Sony might be willing as a PS+ incentive.

But this is Konami we're talking about.

If I were them I'd give the game value by making it a standalone product that won't be part of TPP and sell it for $40 considering it being marketed as a smaller affair. Digital & Physical.

Let it have tons of replay value and let things you achieve in it carry over into TPP which reads your save file. A Mass Effect kind of deal...

What Konami could do is release free mini DLC for it like they did MGS4 along with some other neat things:
-mission updates
-recruitable soldiers
-outfits
-new areas
-new weapons
-briefing tapes/music

Stuff like that will keep the ball rolling until TPP arrives.

But most likely Konami will do those things as a F2P model and nickel and dime us.

Yeah, make it kind of a half-way point between Peace Walker and The Phantom Pain. Throwing in a quick-an'-dirty online co-op would go a long way too.

if they go retail, they mind as well throw MGSTongueW into the box to make sure as many people as possible actually play that first. Maybe some transfarring between PW and GZ, too?

08-15-2013, 08:19 PM

"When I first played Metal Gear Solid I was but a boy. Then after watching Snake and Meryl ride off into the sunset I was [SIC] suddenly had six hungry mouths to feed and a pile of bills to pay. Metal Gear ruined my childhood."

[Image: foxhoundmg2.gif]
08-16-2013, 03:16 PM

A lot of money was spent on the FOX Engine development start-up and by God they're going to make back that investment.
08-16-2013, 03:24 PM

Mexican Sting Wrote:That'd be cool, yeah, probably not gonna happen. But let's not forget that Kojima san is technically one of those pencil pusher's now, that's no guarantees of any forward thinking as far as marketing strategy, but he probably has a shit ton of say in what's going on behind the scenes.

Doubt it. Remember when he said that Konami's executives didn't even know that the main theme of MGSV was 'Race' until he announced it publicly at E3? There's a reason he kept that a secret from them until he had already committed to it publicly.

jdnation Wrote:A lot of money was spent on the FOX Engine development start-up and by God they're going to make back that investment.

Yeah, that too. Multi-purpose game engines don't come cheap, especially when you're trying to revolutionize the asset creation pipeline from the ground up.

08-17-2013, 02:04 PM

As if they could've told him not to? Eh.

"When I first played Metal Gear Solid I was but a boy. Then after watching Snake and Meryl ride off into the sunset I was [SIC] suddenly had six hungry mouths to feed and a pile of bills to pay. Metal Gear ruined my childhood."

08-18-2013, 08:33 AM

Punished Animal Wrote:Doubt it. Remember when he said that Konami's executives didn't even know that the main theme of MGSV was 'Race' until he announced it publicly at E3? There's a reason he kept that a secret from them until he had already committed to it publicly.

Just wait until Kojima reveals publicly that the race he's tackling are the Jews. XOF = Mossad. Big Boss will infiltrate Israeli facilities. Free little Palestinian children. Obama Admin will complain. Konami will cry. Kojima finally retires. All according to keikaku.
08-18-2013, 12:11 PM

I would bow down so hard to that motherfucker.

Sometimes I think the 'taboos' he's tackling are either just shit he saw in movies (I saw, First Blood, Che, Blood Diamond, Hurt Locker, and Dr. Strangelove too, Kojima san), or stuff that was a little more inappropriate for discussion when he was younger.

Not that this stuff shouldn't be discussed, but everyone I know makes jokes about Africa when the topic of diamonds come up. Certainly not stuff that's going to get you "kicked out of the industry."

08-18-2013, 02:25 PM

Mexican Sting Wrote:I would bow down so hard to that motherfucker.

Sometimes I think the 'taboos' he's tackling are either just shit he saw in movies (I saw, First Blood, Che, Blood Diamond, Hurt Locker, and Dr. Strangelove too, Kojima san), or stuff that was a little more inappropriate for discussion when he was younger.

Not that this stuff shouldn't be discussed, but everyone I know makes jokes about Africa when the topic of diamonds come up. Certainly not stuff that's going to get you "kicked out of the industry."

but making african child soldiers the enemies in a nu-stealth game that most people will play like a TPS, making it a de-facto child-shooting simulator, sure could generate enough backlash to force him into retirement! At least, it could if he was an american developer, I'm not totally sure about Japan on this.

08-19-2013, 08:03 PM

They'll elect him president.

08-19-2013, 11:30 PM

Mexican Sting Wrote:They'll elect him president.

I mean, there's clearly some cultural differences when it comes to political correctness. If Ken Levine said "just so we're clear, I am not a gay" on his twitter, we'd be seeing formal apology letters and resignations within the month.

08-22-2013, 08:26 PM

There were some early wild rumors form Paul Gale Network or something about Kojima's taboo game involving circumcision and some Jewish serial killer...

Maybe Kojima will also recast Liquid with another Hollywood guy... like Viggo Mortensen.

"The only blood I care about is Jewish blood, brother!"

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)