Symbolism of Liquid's Tattoo
01-06-2015, 02:12 PM
Symbolism of Liquid's Tattoo
For those that don't know, Liquid Snake has a tattoo on the tricep of his left arm of a sword with a snake wrapped around it, and the words "Temptation" and "Revelation" above the sword. Here's a link to the picture if you've never seen it:
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121...lation.svg

I've always really liked Liquid's character, and I'd like to know more about the character. However, I'm having trouble seeing what connection the tattoo has to Liquid's character. I think it's safe to say that the snake in the tattoo represents the snake that tempts Eve into eating the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden in the Bible. I think that also explains the word "Temptation" above.

Similarly, the sword in the tattoo is likely a reference to the Sword of Christ from the Book of Revelations in the Bible, which, again, also explains the word "Revelation" above the tattoo.

If we look a little less specifically, the tattoo could also symbolize Beginning and End, since the Book of Genesis is the beginning of mankind in the bible, and the Book of Revelation is the end.

What I'm really curious about is how this reflects on the character of Liquid Snake. Where do we see these qualities in him? Why exactly does he have these symbols tattooed on him? What is Kojima/Shinkawa trying to show us with this tattoo?

What do you guys think? How do you think the tattoo relates back to Liquid?
01-06-2015, 02:28 PM
RE: Symbolism of Liquid's Tattoo
It means fuck all; Liquid just liked the way it looked. Lots of Military guys do it. I have a stylized version of the Canadian Army insignia tattooed on my forearm, with "Fearless in the Face of Danger" written in Latin beneath it. Symbolism? I liked it, it's the only meaningful thing in my life, and why not?

Honestly, it was just something Shinkawa thought would look cool.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
01-06-2015, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2016 03:33 PM by THEND.)
le edit....
01-06-2015, 04:10 PM
Maybe Liquid was a Skinny Puppy fan.

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
01-06-2015, 07:33 PM
If MGS1 was American, the words on the tattoo would be in Chinese, but since it's Japanese, the words are English, only Konami's translation department didn't fuck the dog and the words mean what they're supposed to instead of "Big Faggot Here" like they would if an actual white guy got Chinese tattooed.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
01-09-2015, 02:20 PM
Not bad points Canucklehead and PsychoVenoM
01-10-2015, 11:02 AM
(01-06-2015 04:10 PM)Punished Singh Wrote:  Maybe Liquid was a Skinny Puppy fan.

Yup...doge lover definitely
05-06-2015, 05:45 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 05:46 AM by Dr. Clark.)
Perhaps the tattoo ends up being a nod to his Miller act, tempting players with his glasses and having a revelation afterwards. As for the sword and snake...it looks cool!

Seriously speaking, I've had the same question if there's a meaning behind that but in the end I just don't care anymore! Perhaps we'll see...( I can't remember the name)... Liquid's younger self in MGS V getting that tattoo. Who knows?

[Image: Zanzibarlandsymbol.jpg]
09-15-2016, 07:05 AM
Temptation Revelation is the name of an instrumental song by Savatage.

Think I remember somewhere Shinkawa saying he's a fan of 80s metal including Megadeth. Pitrelli was in both Megadeth and Savatage. Maybe it's a song Shinkawa liked.

Damn, I'm old.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)