So how does the Quiet trick work again?
01-30-2016, 12:24 AM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2016 12:25 AM by BigB0SS.)
RE: So how does the Quiet trick work again?
Interesting point about the camo meter. I remember the first time I played MGS3, I was focused on crawling and using the meter. At that point you think the camo is important. Honestly though, once you know the guard routines, all you have to do is headshot everyone with the mk22.

So even the camo meter becomes useless in MGS3 once you know the guard routes and become decent at getting 50 meter headshots. I'm not really sure if the camo system is a weakness or strength in that game. Its a cool feature but ultimately useless.

I thought the fulton system was a joke when I first played Peace Walker. Until I looked it up and realized it exists. But still, spending hours doing fulton on hundreds of soldiers...
01-30-2016, 02:12 AM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2016 02:32 AM by John Doom.)
(01-29-2016 11:31 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  Metal Gear worked best without all the little metagane bullshit thrown in. The simpler the better; having the camo index meant crawling everywhere because your subconscious mind demands that number always be as high as possible, and the building up of your army means that you tranq and Fulton everyone instead of even trying to sneak by, and so forth.

The formula was at its best when you just had to get from here to there, and it didn't take ten minutes of crawling and a magazine of tranquilizer rounds to do it.

Definitely. I think videogames should keep you busy, but shouldn't make you take forever to do something. Crawling takes time, leveling takes time (in PW, I haven't played TPP), waiting for the helicopter takes time (sometimes, a LOT), even alert phases do take time since MGS2 (unlike in MGS1, where you either ran away or got killed and could retry in less than 60 seconds).
I don't now if you guys will agree with me on this, but I think that MGS' games since MGS4 suffer of "bipolar disorder" Big Grin, in that they're supposed to be both in the stealth genre and in the shooter genre. Unfortunately, because of the way this has been implemented, it means the games feel unbalanced or some choices forced: why would you drive a car if you're going to get spotted? Why would you try to be careful if you can drop bombs all around? Why would you try to avoid fighting, if you can just ask the helicopter for supplies (when possible)? And so on. They say it's about giving more "freedom", but it's not about adding coherent options to the player (like the cardbox, the landing spot and the day/night cycle).
01-30-2016, 09:09 AM
(01-30-2016 12:24 AM)BigB0SS Wrote:  Interesting point about the camo meter. I remember the first time I played MGS3, I was focused on crawling and using the meter. At that point you think the camo is important. Honestly though, once you know the guard routines, all you have to do is headshot everyone with the mk22.

I prefered the days before the Tranq gun. And while MGS2 felt fairly M9-optional, MGS3 & 4 felt like they require it to play without killing. Shooters, as the guy above said.

I've been saying for years that every new Metal Gear game adds one new method to sneak and ten new methods to fuck with the enemies, and that's what's contributed most to the drastic change of gameplay style over the years.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
01-30-2016, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2016 06:04 PM by BigB0SS.)
The tranq gun being added in MGS2 definitely changed the way you sneak. If you think about it though, M9 seemed more connected to collecting dog tags. Made getting dog tags easier without having to kill enemies. Seems like after that though, it became a staple of the series. Instead of using it for dog tags, you were using it to get past guards.

I do miss how MGS1 was all about sneaking. If you decided to mess with a guard, pretty much meant killing. Unless you decided to choke him into sleep. Really though, MGS1 was about memorizing guard routes. And ultimately MGS2 and 3 were that same way. You could get by all the guards in 1-3 pretty easily without engaging. V forces you to engage the enemy.
01-31-2016, 10:28 AM
Finally got that stupid Deployment trophy. So I'm all done. Time to eject the disc.

The Subsistence mode that they added may be up the alley of anyone looking for a challenge.

My theory is that the Subsistence/perfect stealth/Extreme thing was a mode you unlocked after completing the entire game that was to be applied to all main missions for added challenge.

I believe the necessity of weapons is to accommodate the pokemon aspect where you may feel necessary to endanger yourself to collect soldiers.

But the truth is simpler. It's basically to accommodate the gun-ho kind of player. The majority of whom prefer Call of Duty action and don't like stealth.

The fact is the audience for a more stealth approach and the more top down puzzle style of playing is small. That is, in comparison to the market as a whole.

As these games get more expensive to make, Business Kojima by necessity must expand the audience and keep up with the times. And the times are open-world, more freedom of play style. I think MGSV did it well. The stealthy approach is there if you want it. As is the action lazy way of doing things.

This is why the subsistence mode would've been beneficial to those who want to play in that manner for the challenge. As are the perfect stealth approaches, though I think the buddy system kind of break that in that you can just get Quiet to kill everyone and then move in. But Subsistence forces you not to F around.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)