So how does the Quiet trick work again?
01-12-2016, 04:11 AM
RE: So how does the Quiet trick work again?
I can't say for sure but I would assume any way you choose. As long as you don't kill her during the cutscene segment (the one where Miller tries to get you to kill her but Ocelot tries to convince you to recruit her).
01-12-2016, 05:55 AM
What if you kill her six times but let her live on the seventh?

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
01-12-2016, 09:19 AM
Might work. Honestly have no idea. But would suck to save her 7th time, only to find it doesn't work, and then do it again 6 more times.
01-12-2016, 09:59 AM
Fuck this game. Back to Ride to Hell: Retribution.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

01-28-2016, 09:43 AM
Okay so, I've been busy finishing up the game with the Butterfly Emblem.

I can confirm that indeed it is possible to finish every Side-Op/Mission (sans the Quiet ones 150 and main 45).

I finished the Truth chapter and every extreme/subsistence/stealth mission too.

As of last night the final bunch of Side Ops unlocked so every number has been accounted for.

So once I finish using Quiet to get rid of the last batch of zombies and do the last Tank Mission, I'll be done with all the Side Ops and will take off the Emblem, which I figure will finally unlock Side Op 150 leading into the last Mission 45, and I'll have completed the game. So maybe I'll be done in 2 or 3 days time.

Trying to also get the trophy for those stupid Deployment missions. What a shitty idea that was to just make them based on freaking luck with a requirement of 2+ in-game hours per session. I figured the percentages had to do with the soldiers you put on the job so I held off on them until I could make a stronger unit, but it's so restrictive and impossible to get anything over 60% and still you might fail. So I've just been sending in expendable A+ guys in at a 50% chance. MGSV can't do what Peace Walker did right. Maybe Kojima didn't have time to finish this thing, or Konami wanted it this way but forgot to put in the microtransaction. Hopefully I can finish these before burning through those walker gear things.
01-28-2016, 10:50 AM
Do trophies really matter that much?
01-28-2016, 11:24 AM
(01-28-2016 10:50 AM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  Do trophies really matter that much?

Not really. I'd made up my mind awhile ago to make the most out of the game. So my only goals were to of course finish all the main story missions and the Side Ops.

If there was something within reasonable reach to get an extra bonus trophy for I'll give it a shot. But if it's too tiresome I won't bother at all. So I'm not going for any of the mission extra completion tasks or S-ranks.

The deployment thing seemed easy enough as you just click on a button and play the waiting game, so it didn't seem like a big deal. But if by the time I'm done with the rest of the game and the main deployments still haven't completed then it can kiss my ass. The same for getting all your teams up to lv. 50. It'll either happen by the time I'm done or not.
01-28-2016, 03:00 PM
By the time you're done, you'll pretty much have all the trophies anyways. The trophies for this game are not difficult. Just a huge time investment (the whole game is).
01-28-2016, 03:51 PM
Beating the story sure as fuck isn't a time investment. Game was short as fuck; when I "beat" it, I thought there were still whole chapters to go.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

01-29-2016, 01:00 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2016 01:00 AM by BigB0SS.)
Maybe not the story by itself. But with all the mission tasks and side ops, it's quite a chunk of time (100+ hrs).
01-29-2016, 05:53 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2016 06:01 AM by Canucklehead.)
Only because you spend those hundred hours scrolling through the Side Ops list over and over because you just don't want to go rescue another asshle Prisoner from the same fucking camp. Instead, you switch to the Main Ops and scroll through it a bunch of times because the ones you didn't bother getting S on and all Tasks is because they're not fun and you just don't wan tto fucking replay them.

Actually, I think upgrading your kit is what makes this game so boring. I absolutely LOVED the mission where ou rescue Kaz because you have no equipment, you have to gather intel first, and then actually fight your way out without being caught and overrun. It was classic, awesome stealth gameplay. Felt like Metal Gear 2 truly realized in modern HD.

After that, every mission just becomes "Run to this Outpost, find guys with NVGs, Tranq everyone, Fulton some asshole, run twenty feet that way. Amazing, Boss! S Rank for you!"

The Kaz rescue mission was Phantom Pain's equivalent to Ground Zeroes' Main Op, whereas the rest of Phantom Pain is Ground Zeroes' Side Ops.

I did truly love TPP at first though. Maybe I should replay it and not use any R&D items, or never returning to the ACC or even calling the Chopper unless the game requires it. A true, constant deployment with OSP as my only means of equipment. Though you can't get C4 or Grenades or anything else from most places, so it might not even be possible.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

01-29-2016, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2016 04:21 PM by BigB0SS.)
I agree. Even though it's fun exploring for a while, the grind becomes too repetitive and boring. It would have been cool to make a mission where you're out in the jungle for weeks on end (actual game time being the same as real time). Kojima had some cool ideas back in the day (like when he was talking about making living plants within game... where they grew and died like real plants). And have like your clothes get ripped, dirty, etc.

I think where the series went wrong, was with portable ops, peace walker, and eventually mgsv (with focus on returning to motherbase and managing aspects of your military). Screw that. Put me in the jungle for weeks and force me to survive on animals (the Snake Eater formula, but multiplied).

Some people say MGSV is MGS3 on crack. I call bs on that. Because Snake Eater was about surviving in the jungle and feeding yourself. Not about worrying about GMP, buying shit, upgrading shit, recruiting, etc. MGSV is annoying because you have to keep getting on your chopper and going back/forth to motherbase.

Yeah MGSV has addicting features. Like the leveling systems and getting new soldiers and gear. But I'd rather have the original MG formula. If you think about it, all the early MG/MGS games force you to survive in your environment once you are inserted into that environment. Onsite procurement of items/weapons, food, etc.

The problem with MG/MGS is that it shifted towards being more realistic instead of keeping it's quirky comic-book elements. Ok, so if the shift is towards realism, why not make it a pure survival game? The focus is too much on combat elements (running into enemies, constantly engaging enemies). That's fine for encountering outposts, but where are the downsides of survival?

Give me a water/dehydration meter. Give me a hunger meter again. Force me to learn survival techniques. Force me to learn how to cut bamboo to collect rain water for drinking purposes. Force me to break out my ration kits, force me to start a fire, force me to cook the rations. Force me to skin animals I've killed, and force me to cook it before the meat goes bad. Force me to build traps to capture small animals (rather than giving me a pre-made trap like in MGS3).

Force me to wade through tons of trees before reaching my objective. Force me to utilize my environment to survive. Force me to make traps from sharpened sticks, etc to trick and kill the enemy when I don't have access to conventional weapons. Just some examples of cool ideas that MGSV could have benefited from. If not the jungle, then force me to survive in similar ways in Afghanistan/Africa.
01-29-2016, 08:41 PM
Well, I'm finally done.
- All Main Story Missions complete
- All Side-Ops done
- All team levels at 50
- Completed Mother Base
- Achieved Hero level.

Only thing left incomplete is the Main Deployment missions, of which I'm on the last one, probably failed it 4 times now. Running at 2+ hours each it's a lot of pointless wasted time. But I'm just listening to the cassette tapes over again so I'm just letting it run in the background or leaving the PS4 on and going to do something else...

Like finally popping in the collector's edition disc...

And seeing the cut Mission 51...

WTF?! Why didn't Konami let Kojima finish it? It would've been the epic finisher the game needed!

The Truth mission was neat, though in a way you're just doing the same thing over again. I preferred doing Quiet Farewell mission last. Ends the game on more of a punch as well as a touching moment.

But man, Mission 51 would've sealed the deal from the looks of it. The explosive ending Metal Gear final boss fight we've traditionally come to expect.

Taking that shit down with XOF and Mother base fighting beside you is the sort of thing we were hoping for in the Boss thread.

With concern to the current conversation...

Yeah I'm not feeling the Portable Ops/Peace Walker formula so much.

I'd much prefer the traditional games approach of 1-2-3.

One BIG location that you explore that expands as you go on a more linear story path, occasionally backtracking here and there for good reason.

Basically get rid of Side-Ops. Or rather if you want a more dynamic feeling to the world, have them completely hidden and only occurring when you get to a particular location as an option you can follow, but not being part of a checklist of shit you need to do nor run around the map. They just happen. And they can be randomized.

The shitty thing about MGSV is that it's not really replayable. You won't get the all the same cutscenes that occur etc. It's not at all replayable in the same sense as the previous games. Particularly when it comes to story moments locked on the cassette tapes. Usually these would trigger at the right time as codec. The first time you play through you receive them in a proper order. But if you're trying to play it over again, you don't unlock the tapes anymore since they're all already there.

One of the fun things I liked to do was replay the games over again so that other people could watch them and enjoy the story moments in the same order etc. as I did and I could even set things up to make it better. But you can't do that with MGSV's model.

I honestly doubt I'll ever replay this game again... For one thing life is too busy and we're spoilt for entertainment.

The Ground Zeroes model was the best. One location, lots of ways to go.

I think TPP's problem was that it tried to get a bunch of GZ maps, but they're separated by miles of open spaces. Now all of it makes sense given the locations, but I don't think it's ideal.

I'd much prefer if instead of a whole 'country' area, Kojima instead aimed to make a war-torn city instead, and instead followed the GZ formula where you have one continuous Meta-mission that needs you to reach from point A to a point B, and you're left totally on your own as to which direction to go. You just go around and try and find something, and depending on which direction you decide to go, there's a dynamic intel/codec system that cleverly guides you to find A,B,C,D,E & F in no particular order whereupon which you're sent to do G. But you're always on the ground primarily knowing you're looking for Z.

The other thing is that the staff by instead focusing on a city in one location can also just concentrate on making unique environments that are much closer together, and don't feel like a travelling chore to get around to. So basically just as Snake Eater lead you from start point A to end point Z, rather than a linear map, instead treat point Z a the center where A is the entire circumference of a large circle drawn around it.

Maybe like a labyrinth puzzle design if you can abstractly conceptualize this...

[Image: Labyrinth-1.jpg]

So we need to get to the center, but there are more openings and we could go either right or left, but story diversions will come up that force us to zig zag, backtrack a little, and essentially keep spiraling around and around until we finally reach the center.

The good part being that we never have to return to any point unnecessarily and go through the motions all over again (infiltrating the same base gets boring after awhile), and any backtracking should be close by or in the same vein as where sometimes cleverly designed routes will take you around bringing you back to a place you were via a new route that gives you a new perspective of the same place (so for example in one location we are only walking on the main street level road, but when we come back it will be via another route where we arrive at the same location, but suddenly we are actually walking along a highway or the rooftops where we can see the same ground level street below. So we are in the same place, but it feels totally different, some new building or level has opened up. We can now explore things we couldn't before.

Stuff like that. I think Kojima's idea of tackling an Open World with Freedom did indeed accomplish that, but at a cost wherein it necessitates that level design had to become more boring to accommodate a more open play-style.

Linearity on the other hands makes more of an impression, but indeed can become more routine when replaying. But I believe the first impression is better and I'd prefer this style. And it doesn't mean you can't include more open places at various points to change things up more. But ideally I don't want the MGSV formula again.
01-29-2016, 09:49 PM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2016 10:14 PM by BigB0SS.)
Congrats on finishing. I hear ya. I guess what I was trying to say was, MGS3 had a lot of cool ideas that could have been enhanced in MGSV.

Like they obviously were going for survival in MGS3, but it didn't incorporate everything that survival would demand. In MGS3 you capture/kill the animal and eat it. MGSV could have taken that concept and showed you how to prepare each animal to be eaten. In MGS3 you heal your broken wounds by going into survival viewer. Instead MGSV could have actually made you apply real techniques to mending wounds (taking the time to apply ointments, relocating bones, etc... actually seeing what you're doing to heal yourself. Actually taking time to mend those wounds). They could have taught you how to track enemies in MGSV.

A detailed healing and hunting system would require a huge time investment, but I would rather focus on learning real survival techniques than replaying the same side op with several different variations.

MGS3 was linear and works well that way (Kojima has stated he wanted to do more but technical restrictions kept him from doing so). But MGSV has the scale to have been more free-roam. Instead of being huge linear paths separated by outposts, they could have just made it pure open field. Trudging through swamps, trees, deserts, whatever.

MGSV free roam is so linear (but at larger scale) that it's almost laughable in retrospect. MGSV could have been more epic if you could go wherever you wanted within that sandbox (not going beyond the outer bounds).

They could have emphasized your military without forcing you to manage them. In my opinion, rather than focus on MSF remnants getting revenge, it should have been a Big Boss revenge story.

Think about it: Miller is opposed to Big Boss in MG2: Solid Snake. At the end of MGSV, Miller doesn't like how things have turned out. But it would have made for a better story to have Miller betray Big Boss in MGSV, and have Big Boss become comatose and/or banished from MSF. That way you would be on a mission to take revenge on everything.

This would have added more to Big Boss's vengeful persona. It would mean either destroying MSF remnants and/or reclaiming whoever was still loyal to your cause. But it would also make the excuse for solo infiltration missions. Think the most recent Riddick movie. Riddick is the King, but gets banished by his men on an isolated planet due to power quarrels and internal politics.

This sort of story could have started adding the MG2 roster of characters, such as gray fox, could have depicted sniper wolf as a child, etc. It could have been like MGS4, where you're caught up between fighting MSF remnants/Miller, but also fighting SkullFace or whatever. But that it was your battle not MSF's battle. All this betrayal added to the betrayal that took place in MGS3 would further solidify Big Boss's bitter personality.

Instead we get this version of Big Boss that doesn't give a shit and goes on vacation at everyone else's expense. And also, the way that Zero supports Big Boss in MGSV is bs. Because I thought they were supposed to become bitter enemies. None of that was depicted in MGSV. It should have been.
01-29-2016, 11:31 PM
Metal Gear worked best without all the little metagane bullshit thrown in. The simpler the better; having the camo index meant crawling everywhere because your subconscious mind demands that number always be as high as possible, and the building up of your army means that you tranq and Fulton everyone instead of even trying to sneak by, and so forth.

The formula was at its best when you just had to get from here to there, and it didn't take ten minutes of crawling and a magazine of tranquilizer rounds to do it.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)