So I just learnt about this forced-FOB shit...
09-23-2015, 11:08 AM
So I just learnt about this forced-FOB shit...
Really? So there is no option not to get involved in this bullshit?

At first I thought maybe I'll string out playing this game and enjoying the side missions and developing my base. But now due to the FOB paranoia, where if I even accidentally connect online by maintaining the stay offline strategy, everything can possible go to shit. So now I've resolved to just get through the main missions ASAP and finish the story and be done with this. What a colossal screw-up!

I don't have much time these days to play much of anything. So I don't want to come back 3-4 days later and find my shit invaded and stolen. I don't have time to bother micro-managing and making direct contracts. I hate this mess of a MotherBase system and can't figure out these staff menus or how to assign shit, it's so much more overcomplicated than peace Walkers. I just auto-everything now so I don't have to waste my time. I also do the log-in thing to get the bonuses they give out daily hoping to ease the grind too for whatever that's worth so that's something I'd potentially lose too. And if the FOB is really required for some end-game grinding, then that just discourages me from bothering with much of anything now.

So far I've been making it around okay with just the Tranq pistol, C4, a sniper rifle, and a basic machine gun, with an RPG when needed, and have found no real use for any of the other guns I've developed aside from improving the equipment I have now. Will I really need to bother with more than that to cope with the rest of the game? Is there any bullshit where I've got to level up staff to build Metal Gear or some shit that requires R&Ding and high GMP to spend to finish the game for the 'true' ending or whatever?

Thankfully there's a work-around, unless Konami decides to patch that up when MGO3 arrives, and you're forced online again.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=515683334

Fuck this 'always online' asshattery implemented in my single player. Fuck Microsoft fro trying to force us into boning ourselves. Fuck mobile games for making this shit popular. Fuck Konami for humping mobile. And if this was a Kojima-decision, then he badly dropped the fucking ball here, though I give him the benefit of the doubt considering Peace Walker and Portable Ops options not to punish you for losing soldiers and staff providing you opt never to get engaged with it.

Also I've heard about the Phantom Act 3 bullshit, so Fuck Konami for that too.

Fuck it.

Fuck you.

Etc.

09-23-2015, 11:18 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2015 11:20 AM by Dr. Clark.)
RE: So I just learnt about this forced-FOB shit...
I'm interested to know how it works in consoles with no connection whatsoever.

V is PW2.0 so I'm not surprised that you can play the game with only a handful of weapons like the classic games while unfortunately needing to manage MB because of later bosses and side stuff that becomes doable and easier with advanced weapons.

As for the FOB stuff, like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if Konami ends up ripping pieces off V to make maps and a mobile versions and that V's system is a test to that.

PS: being Konami, a rail gun will have one price and the charger for it another and sold separately.

[Image: Zanzibarlandsymbol.jpg]
09-23-2015, 11:27 AM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2015 11:42 AM by jdnation.)
I don't use PS+.

So I'm wondering about something, I get that I can't invade other people's bases.

But do I still get invaded? I assume given I can log into Konami's servers to get daily bonuses, that Konami therefore synchs your FOB up to the online part regardless of whether you use PS+ or not.

Now I don't mind if people just want to invade my uncared for FOB to steal some resources that are just accumulated at FOB and not my MB. But I'm worried about people getting high ranking soldiers directly from my offline MB itself, which I've read is an actual real problem. I don't want to be constantly required to go out there are re-fultoning staff. This is not a game I plan to play forever and waste my time with.

I get that you can do some permanent contract thing or whatever, but that's a giant pain in the ass to micro-manage. I don't want to have some R&D level and using it to research something vital to progressing the single player campaign only to have some asshole invade me, acquire my high ranked personnel and then drop down my R&D level and progress.

I've heard horror stories about people going away from the game for a week only to return, synch online and discover nearly all their staff gone, and a chunk of GMP vanished because even defences cost money against intruders.

I don't mind not using an FOB at all, and simply developing MB with what I do offline to as far as I can until the main game is over, and even completing every side-op. But with FOB making that difficult to keep what you acquire, I just might not even bother with this damn thing.

Where are the petitions to get Konami to patch this thing out, so we don't have to bother with FOB? I want to sign.

Edit: Actually without PS+ you can invade, but you can't defend. But regardless, your FOB is still vulnerable and people can still steal your regular MB staff.
09-23-2015, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2015 01:14 PM by BigB0SS.)
What is the point of FOB? I realize FOB base is separate from Mother base but seems pointless to invest in FOB... why should I invest high ranking soldiers and equipment if stuff is going to be stolen anyways? To increase online status? If it's for stealing high ranking soldiers, I can do that in the story. I guess strategy for people who don't want invasions is to keep FOB base full of poor stat soldiers.

Or maybe strategy would be do everything offline and never log back in (perhaps this keeps the game from updating with your new soldiers). Or copy your save file to flashdrive before logging in and just replacing that save file if your MB is jacked up.
09-23-2015, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2015 03:23 PM by Victor Katilis.)
Now I do not really like the way they implemented invasions gameplay-wise, but I feel I have to clarify some stuff here. Everything I say here is from my own experience.

If you don't want a FOB at all - stay offline after mission 21.

That said though - you pretty much HAVE TO have a FOB if you want to avoid ridiculous end-game grind. The amount of extra resources and extra space it gives are worth the occasional (90% of the time unsuccessful if you spend some resources on it) invasion.

If you don't to be invaded - keep a low profile and do not invade. This will keep your fob off the radar - less people will see your name, and you won't pop up as a retaliation target. Helping other people defend, though, is a good thing to do. Not only it is easy money - they will be notified that you helped them and they will return the favor more often than not. I also think it is possible to keep the FOB without invasions by not starting the mock training invasion of your own base (I could not see any online players until I did it and they popped up straight after I fininished training), but I am not sure. I do think, I remember mission 23 being available after I built the FOB, and BEFORE I entered training.

Now THAT said though, all the horror stories are bullshit blow faaaar out of proportion by retards who just left the FOB defenseless and thought they would be safe. So far, having two FOBs of my own (I actually did buy the second one when I realized it would only cost me 5GBP - considering I bought my copy for 8 GBP cheaper, I think it is fair play) - I have only been defending other people's (high level with 3-4 struts and full security detail) bases, which really consisted of:

1. Get in the session.
2. The attacker would get spotted and the base would go on alert 10 seconds after I drop in
3. The attacker would be dead after another 5 seconds.

Except for that time when I ran up to the other platform where he got spotted and blew his ass up with my underbarrel GL. Or that time when the guy just ragequitted once Iogged in.

Here's the thing. If you invest in actually building security for your FOB - as in fully prepped A to A++ guards in maxed out heavy gear with helmets, MGS2 drones, Surveilance cameras, mines, anti-theft devices and most importantly, more than one strut per platform (the attacker always has to start on the furthest platform from the core) - successfully infiltrating the FOB becomes virtually impossible with AI guys by themselves, leave alone with the player logged in. So far, defending is much easier than infiltrating. The AI of the guards is much faster and resilient than single player morons. Once you are spotted - they will track you down and rape you with LMG fire. They are fucking class A badasses You cannot get through that magic door if the alert is up.

Believe me when I say it - it is ridiculously hard to invade a fully equipped platform. I haven't been able to infiltrate my own base yet, and I tried hard.

Low level guards is a no-no, simply because the guy can steal random people from if you are over your Mother Base staff cap (which you certainly will be). You will just make his life this much easier if you put only poor stat guys - because those are fucking dumb and slow. Better to lose A+ patrols than your S++ R'nD guys. High level combat guys are literally everywhere by the time you hit mission 20.

As for when you are online - equip a grenade launcher and just blow his ass up (or sleep gas and fulton him/throw him off the edge) - it is that fucking easy.

This here is all you need to know really (considering you are going to play MGS5 through):

P.S. Fun vid:

[Image: 2j2bzx2.jpg]
In the age of super-boredom, hype and mediocrity
Celebrate relentlessness, menace to society ©

Big Punisaladin Venomakedic Bossnake ©
My vision is augmented ©
ttp://i58.tinypic.com/21cbf2d.gifhttp://fc05.deviantart.net/fs40/f/2009/041/5/5/Burn_After_Reading_HeadshotGIF_by_Teri928.gif
09-23-2015, 03:17 PM
yeah but here's the thing. I don't want to put up with this bullshit. I just want to finish the game with the 'true' ending.

I may have to stop playing the game for a week or heck, even a month. I do not want to return and find out that a bunch of staff are missing which retards my progress.

This game's design has been compromised to force a system in that coerces you to remain online and buy shit out of desperation because you want to save 'time.' So therefore I have to pay Konami. It's the fucking mobile model now shitting up a $70+ single player game. The concerns have turned out to be right.

I could probably put up with the grind towards the end game. But I do NOT FUCKING APPRECIATE, having my progress randomly fucked with through some stupid mechanism.

Now, let's say I just log off permanently from Konami's servers and do my shit. Then there's just an accident waiting to happen if Konami forces me to log in to download some patch or some mandatory update. Let's say some other hapless chap comes over to my house, puts on the PS4 and puts on MGSV and just logs in by default.

Let's say I finish the game's story, and maybe want to play it over again a year from now. Then what? Is my progress guaranteed to be there? Do I just delete all my shit? Maybe I want to try and complete development of late game items only to find my GMP and staff depleted and my MB a ghost town?

I anything, once I complete this game I'm never going back in. The first MGS game I never bother to ever replay until I'm certain Konami shuts down their servers permanently and there's no chance of ever accidentally logging in again.

This farce should be patched out such that only soldiers stationed on the FOB get taken, with a risk/reward being that if those who opt into the FOB game get the option of the risk/reward scenario where stationing better troops on their FOB staff get significantly better income of resources. Whereas stationing weaker grunts only gets you a minimum.

That would be better, as there are always some tossers I don't mind getting taken or getting killed. Hell I could just station that one guy there or a bunch of drones, or a sheep with a gun.

There were many options Kojima/Konami could've done here, but they kept quiet about it. Reviewers couldn't access this mode early on due to 'servers being down' and they picked the more punishing aspect that forces you into messing with this mode. This was deliberate and part of the shitty F2P mobile philosophy.

No thank you.

I'm not at MIssion 21 yet, but I'll have to now decide whether or not to use the do-not-complete-tutorial strategy or the 'stay offline' strategy. Personally I'm hoping Konami will patch that shit out closer to when MGO3 arrives.
09-23-2015, 04:01 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2015 04:49 PM by Victor Katilis.)
I despise the F2P as much as you do, but couple of things:

1. I have not yet been invaded a single ass motherfucking time (I got a FOB 10 days ago). I have finished the game story. If you don't invade, you do not get invaded. If you are randomly invaded - your rank goes even lower and the likelihood of you popping up on someone's list is going to be roughly 0.095%, which is pretty much the same as opting out.

2. Staff that gets stolen on successful infiltration (6-10 Random guys) is fuck all compared to HUNDREDS people you will be literally swimming in by the time you reach FOB mission. Not only you get to fulton A++ and S on a regular basis, you will get regular A - A+ VOLUNTEERS.

If anything, having to MANUALLY HAND PICK and quarantine 300 kikongo guys (out of a 1000) and having 20 (several S and A++ for me) of them die despite my best efforts was far more rage inducing than any of the FOB shit so far. Yeah, you will have to do that shit - there is no way to sort them by language so you are forced to go through your entire list, one by one, looking for Kikongo. Horrible fucking game design.

3. No one is making you pay a penny. The first (free) FOB is more than enough to keep you going. I only bought a second FOB cause I looked at it and it was a miniscule one off payment. If it was anywhere north of 10 bucks, I would have closed the window instantly.

At the end I still have spent less than 60 bucks for everything.
Quote:This farce should be patched out such that only soldiers stationed on the FOB get taken, with a risk/reward being that if those who opt into the FOB game get the option of the risk/reward scenario where stationing better troops on their FOB staff get significantly better income of resources. Whereas stationing weaker grunts only gets you a minimum.
It sort of is this way right now with the number of platforms you build. There is no direct separation, but I do NOT think your staff can sink below 700 people - which is Mother Base's max. Anything above 700 people cap can be stolen. Therefore all you have to do is protect your A++ and S staff with direct contracts (not that many of them really at that stage). Direct contract slots increase as you progress. I have roughly 200 direct contracts I accrued. All you do is go into each unit, sort it by *current unit suitability - descending*, and tick off the highest ones. Takes 10 minutes to do.

There is also no mandatory R'n'D requirements for finishing the story.

P.S. I wanna say, I understand and SHARE your outrage about the hypothetical loss of progress over time of inactivity. But I've yet to see any of that shit happen to me yet.

P.P.S. Regardless, I do believe that FOB invasions are skippable by not starting the mock invasion of your own base. That is with all the benefits of the FOBs.
People keep saying that you have to saty offline, but I swear I saw mission 23 pop up before I started the mock invasion.

EDIT: Yeah, I remember now - mission 23 (I remembered its name - White Mamba) definitely WAS available for me before starting the mock invasion. I distinctly recall regretting starting the invasion as I realised that I opted in.

Now if anything - you can give me your ID ingame (provided you play on PS4), and I will defend your shit if it ever gets invaded.

My vision is augmented ©
ttp://i58.tinypic.com/21cbf2d.gifhttp://fc05.deviantart.net/fs40/f/2009/041/5/5/Burn_After_Reading_HeadshotGIF_by_Teri928.gif
09-23-2015, 04:40 PM
Thanks, some of that is good to know. My main frustration is that I don't have much time to game these days, so maintaining my progress is tantamount. Especially because I don't like doing the same things over and over, and this new open-world MGS game's story is so far wafer thin, so there's hardly much incentive to keep going.

Thankfully the core gameplay itself is wonderful, absent the amount of traversal. But if this was going to be the direction MGS was headed, then I'm glad it's over.

I'm just pissed that from what I'm hearing, Kojima never got to finish the story. It's looking clear now that this was the breaking point and what caused him to get fired (forced to resign) by Konami.
09-23-2015, 05:09 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2015 05:14 PM by Victor Katilis.)
Ah it wouldn't make it any better if the story was finished.
And the gameplay is repetitive as all fuck. The same mechanics over and over (infiltrate/eliminate/extract/steal/exfiltrate), no real boss fights.

My vision is augmented ©
09-23-2015, 07:02 PM
(09-23-2015 05:09 PM)Victor Katilis Wrote:  And the gameplay is repetitive as all fuck. The same mechanics over and over (infiltrate/eliminate/extract/steal/exfiltrate), no real boss fights.
Nah Nah Nah, you are forgetting a few, it is actually infiltrate/listen-to-Kaz/follow-NPC/go-to-marker/eliminate-vehicle/listen-to-Kaz/go-to-marker/listen-to-Kaz/extract-NPC/steal-intel/listen-to-Kaz/obtain/listen-to-Kaz/go-to-marker/exfiltrate/listen-to-Kaz/go-to-mother-base/listen-to-Kaz/take-a-shower/listen-to-Kaz/shut-off-system/listen-to-kaz...
and just repeat.
09-23-2015, 07:11 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2015 07:12 PM by Victor Katilis.)
Lol, even modders have better grasp on what is fun:

Totally my gameplay when I left Afghanistan btw. I couldn't bring myself to kill any of my fellow Russians, so the Black Continent was a refreshing change Big Grin

Too bad killing children is prohibited and I own a PS4 version.

My vision is augmented ©
09-29-2015, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2015 01:27 PM by Victor Katilis.)
Lol so here's what I discovered today while playing defense against some japanese no-life.

You can sit behind the corner and that retarded rocket hand. Yeah, it has no charges, you can use it an infinite amount of times.

So he sat behind this structure on one of the base dev struts that is not accessible by any other means than directly by the bridge (where he just spams the semi-auto grenade launcher) or the ladder next to it (where he just spams the semi-auto grenade launcher). I cannot even spawn on any strut other than the main one!

So he would spam this retarded hand after he blocked all the pathways with sleeping gas.
I tried several approaches from different directions, everything ended in getting nade spammed. One hit - you're knocked down, second hit - you die. I would nade him back, but guess what, I wouldn't hit jack shit because I was connecting to the fucking Japanese PS4. I don't even mention the fact that the guys on the strut BEHIND (the one that he already fucking cleared!) the one he was hiding did absolutely jack shit.

Question here is - does Konami have any testers that aren't a bunch of pre-pub retards? How isn't it fucking obvious that grenade launchers and that retarded rokitupanchu bullshit are not to be put in MP? Or at least be limited to be used only a few times?

Granted, the moron got nowhere with it as he rushed in with 2 minutes left was immediately mowed (serves the dipshit right, also shows how fucking dumb those people are in general), but still, this shit sucks balls.

That shit were you could go around corners and not get spotted, ALL THE WHILE dealing explosive damage is absolute fucking horseshit.

My vision is augmented ©
10-05-2015, 07:28 PM
Oh goody. Instead of opting out, I can pay real money for insurance!

Your FOBs are always at risk of coming under attack. Now, you can rest easy with FOB insurance (paid service). If you sign up for insurance, then during the insurance period you will be compensated for any materials and staff lost due to rival infiltrations.
* Staff/materials stolen by the rival will in fact remain on your base, and an identical amount of staff/materials will be handed over to the rival instead.
* MB Coins are purchased with real money, but free MB Coins are also distributed periodically as login bonuses, etc.

* The following are not covered by FOB insurance:
・Staff/items that are not fully your property, such as abducted staff being held in your Brig (FOB)
・Wounded staff (staff lost due to death or extraction will be compensated)
・Staff used by you to deploy in defense of the FOB (neither death nor extraction will be compensated)
・Nuclear weapons
10-05-2015, 07:47 PM
(10-05-2015 07:28 PM)jdnation Wrote:  Your FOBs are always at risk of coming under attack. Now, you can rest easy with FOB insurance (paid service). If you sign up for insurance, then during the insurance period you will be compensated for any materials and staff lost due to rival infiltrations.

I seriously thought you were joking.

http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/tpp/en/news/day30.php5
10-05-2015, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2015 08:00 PM by jdnation.)
KONAMICARE

Now you really can feel like a victim!

[Image: cryingotacon.jpg]

Dat realism!

Dat sense of loss!

Dat payout!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)