Should We Boycott The Phantom Pain Over an Erasure of Kojima's Legacy?
03-19-2015, 07:35 PM
Should We Boycott The Phantom Pain Over an Erasure of Kojima's Legacy?
Should We Boycott The Phantom Pain Over an Erasure of Kojima's Legacy?.
03-19-2015, 07:53 PM
RE: Should We Boycott The Phantom Pain Over an Erasure of Kojima's Legacy?
Here's my reply: http://metagearsolid.org/2015/03/kojimas...om-konami/

But you can boycott it, that would be great to see

[Image: patriot2.png]
03-19-2015, 08:02 PM
I dunno man.

April 1 marks the start of a business quarter in Japan. Other developers unrelated to Kojima Productions are also being let go. http://zakitakubu.com/2015/03/18/konami-...ial-games/ Konami has confirmed a complete restructuring of their company. Its also confirmed that the head executive at corporate are changing around, with Kojima's position as Vice President left for dust.

I think this is for real. I highly doubt Kojima has the ability to fuck with corporate investor relations. Moby Dick Studios was silly and practically transparent with hardly any room for financial ruin.

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
03-19-2015, 08:10 PM
Even if we're to assume this isn't some elaborate ruse (I don't see why it would be, frankly, but there's plenty of reason to be at least incredulous if not outright dismissive), I'm not sure a boycott is in order here. I agree--again, given the facts we've been presented--that erasing Kojima's role in the creation of the series is nearly cartoonish in its disrespect.

But I'm not sure a boycott is fair to anyone. Certainly not to Kojima and his team who, on the cover or not, worked very hard on the game and have been committed to its vision. A boycott *would* be more than justified if we were to find out that Kojima and Konami parted ways over the latter compromising that vision. But as it stands I think you might be jumping the gun a bit, though I absolutely agree with your general response.
03-19-2015, 08:17 PM
Like I said, I'm not entirely sure if a boycott is necessarily in order. In fact, I am sure I will end up purchasing The Phantom Pain at some point, perhaps pre-order it again. Its just that I have some major concerns over what is going to be happening with The Phantom Pain up until September 1.

I do think refusing to support Konami outside of The Phantom Pain is undebatable though.

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
03-19-2015, 08:21 PM
(03-19-2015 08:17 PM)Punished Singh Wrote:  I do think refusing to support Konami outside of The Phantom Pain is undebatable though.
Agreed.

They're being absolutely childish and asinine over this; it's pretty baffling.
03-19-2015, 08:26 PM
Hear hear Ravi!

I think Kojima saw the writing on the wall a long time ago. The butting of heads came to be with the restructuring.

We've seen Nintendo entering Mobile. Konami heads are likely pushing to go all in on that front. There's no place for Hideo. There is however a place to take the brands Kojima created and 'mobilize' them. Metal Gear is going to be whored to shit and back on those devices.

But Kojima already planned to cement his legacy. That's what collecting all those FOX patches and the special mission were for. Kojima took steps ahead of time to cement his legacy knowing what's coming.

Shit, everything from the Moby Dick marketing, an invisible pain. The concept of something disappearing. Something that doesn't exist, a more silent protagonist, and Quiet.... All of these are eerily very close to the shit going down right now... Allegories all over the place!

What if TPP is all an allegory for the crap Kojima is losing and what Konami is doing to him? This is going to be an extremely interesting game. If this plays out, Kojima truly would be the friggin' Kubrick of video games!

Kojima has poured his heart and soul into this, so I will buy the game, I will print out my own cover with Kojima's name on it and cover up the one they have. Then I will kiss Konami good-bye.

Kojima should set up his own gig, join Inafune, or Sony. I'm sure he and Del Toro can renegotiate a new horror title with Sony's backing and tech teams. If he shows up at another trade show on his own, I will have him sign my game with his name on the cover.
03-19-2015, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2015 09:11 PM by Smiley.)
I have contemplated it, but I do feel it would be a disservice to Kojima Productions at this rate. The bulk of the game is done and the remaining six months till release would be spent on polishing and finalizing the product. If we are to believe that this is Kojima's final metal gear for real, then I want to play it now more than ever. This doesn't mean I won't boycott Konami. It means that after Kojima steps out there will be no more reason for me to ever buy or show interest in anything they have after MGSV.

After all, the only reason people got their hopes up about Konami and Kojima's future was the prospect that they would be working to revive other properties that have fallen from grace from Konami's previous and horrid decisions.

There was so much untapped potential from Konami and Kojima Productions that will never come forth. Silent Hills being the one I'll miss the most since the collaborative effort of Kojima, Del Toro and Reedus was the playable teaser's selling point at the end of it. Speaking to Reedus at comic con, he would supposedly be working on he early stages of the game now. But without Kojima's creative influence, I can't imagine him and Reedus share much enthusiasm in the project since Reedus signed on for Del Toro and Del Toro signed on for Hideo Kojima.

Speaking as a fan of Silent Hill as much as MGS let me tell you about the Silent Hill HD Collection. It was a product released without the original Team Silent's involvement that tried to erase the original actors from the rerelease of SH2 and 3. Fan boycott only lead them into bringing back some of the cast, but the plan was to erase them all with new talent. Not as a creative means to improve the series, but for petty issues over royalties the actors were entitled to from not signing contracts when they made those games back in the day. In order for their work to be added those actors had to sign contracts waiving their rights including Phantom Pain's own Donna Burke who played characters in both remastered games yet only had her work represented in one of the hd entries. Let's forget the fact that Konami ruined the collection by giving it to an inexperienced development team. The people who worked on the game had to sign away their rights of royalties in order to remain in future iterations for new gamers to experience. If that isn't a level of bullshit that speaks about the state of the company then I don't know what is. But Kojima was the only good thing they had going for them. They should be down on their knees kissing the man's boots because if it wasn't for him then my boycott would have been years ago. But I still bought MGS games and now I won't have a reason to after September.

[Image: iEvhnuZkVdiu5.gif]
03-19-2015, 09:40 PM
Thanks for writing this, Ravi! All the news reports were staggering. The whole April 1st thing also really bugs me. It's like an April Fools joke where the punchline is defeat. ("LOL" - Konami Management) It could very well be an organic transition from Konami to independent Kojima Productions studio that shops for publishers in the same manner studios like Clover and Platinum do. (I imagine this works better for teams that don't want to end up like another gallon of EA's backwater. We know who those production studios are) Let's hope Kojima doesn't allow himself to be liquidated by a corporate giant never to be heard from again. Metal Gear Solid V is the number one most anticipated military-based game of 2015. How can anyone expect a studio the breadth of Konami to deny that truth in the last six months of a development quarter and make decisions that could or would very well undermine quite possibly the only profit source in the company's entire digital media portfolio?

This will backfire obviously. Only Kojima can make a Kojima game. Even the well-meaning Rising felt more like a homo-erotic homage than the further development of the series' key concepts. Killing off Kojima will most likely have that silly effect of all "sacrifices" in the world. The death of the "auteur" will create a vacuum and sure enough a storm of "filmic"/"artistic" developers will flock to studios the industry over hoping to be the, "next Kojima".

So it's Konami's call. This is not just the end of an era, it's the beginning of a WAR.
03-19-2015, 10:39 PM
I believe Konami have been holding these possibilities over Kojima's Head (Firing him and his most trusted staff, renaming his studio, erasing his legacy) for some time. If so, it's clear that the events of Ground Zeroes and Phantom pain are allegorical to this.

If it's not that, the only other reason I can think of that Konami would go out of their way to scrub Kojima's name and brand from Metal Gear is to avoid confusion with whatever studio he's planning on starting or joining after his departure. If that's the case, it's actually a somewhat reasonable move.

Suzaku Wrote:Hah. As if you'd enjoy a new Metal Gear game in the first place, you bitchy, impossible-to-please coprophiliac, you.
Pocket Abortions' Quality Blog for Children
03-19-2015, 10:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2015 10:46 PM by Daggamuffin.)
It seems they haven't erased every mention of Kojima on Konami's website.

The Legacy Collection's Page still has "A Hideo Kojima Game, as well as the Kojima Productions logo at the bottom of the page.

We'll see how long before they "fix" that

---
Broken bones require different treatment than an infection does
---
PSN ID: DeadByDagger
Gamertag: xDeadByDaggerx
03-19-2015, 10:45 PM
(03-19-2015 10:39 PM)Venom Animal Wrote:  I believe Konami have been holding these possibilities over Kojima's Head (Firing him and his most trusted staff, renaming his studio, erasing his legacy) for some time. If so, it's clear that the events of Ground Zeroes and Phantom pain are allegorical to this.

If it's not that, the only other reason I can think of that Konami would go out of their way to scrub Kojima's name and brand from Metal Gear is to avoid confusion with whatever studio he's planning on starting or joining after his departure. If that's the case, it's actually a somewhat reasonable move.
Reasonable in a waaaaay.......what do you mean though? Why take his name off of products that are already in stores?
03-19-2015, 10:51 PM
...I'm not boycotting any upcoming Hideo Kojima Title ie The Phantom Pain I'll leave the black listing of KONAMI for January 1, 2016 once we know whats to become of Silent Hills.
03-19-2015, 11:13 PM
Who would have though this whole time THE PHANTOM PAIN was referring to a missing name... A legacy if you will. Kojima warned us about this in 2004. Wars change with the times, today's friends will become tomorrows enemies. The only absolute is the mission and to see it through to the end. That seems to be Kojima Productions focus now.

I speak English, Japanese, and Spanish... I still have no fucking clue what you just said.
03-19-2015, 11:34 PM
Wouldn't this be just Konami shooting themselves in the foot? I mean how butthurt you have to be to erase the name of the creator even though it has been nothing but good publicity for the company?

I mean imagine if Paramount just realized "fuck it, we're not using Puzo's name on the Godfather title. That shit's ours naow".

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)