[SPOILERS] My thoughts on the plot of TPP
09-15-2015, 12:36 PM
[SPOILERS] My thoughts on the plot of TPP
I haven't posted here in a very long time. I thought I would post a giant wall of text to celebrate. Here goes nothing.
Revenge solves nothing. My thoughts Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

We’ve waited a long, long time for this game. Hideo Kojima’s last in the Metal Gear saga. Surrounded by controversy and filled with so much hype. Nearly three years worth of anticipation, theory discussion, arguing and dread. We were introduced to new characters and a new voice actor for Snake, a new style of game play for Metal Gear. Set in that oh so mysterious time, why and when does Big Boss become the Big Boss that we know from Outer Heaven and Zanzibar Land? We were promised a story of revenge and that is exactly what we got. What a lot of long time fans don’t seem to realize is that revenge solves nothing. It just leaves you feeling empty. The pain lingers. Here are my thoughts on Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. This contains lots and lots of spoilers.

Here is something every fan needs to take into consideration.

In business, shit happens. For whatever reason there was a massive falling out between Hideo Kojima, his team Kojima Productions and the top brass at Konami. The entire studio was restructured. The ever present “A Hideo Kojima Game” was removed from publications, cover art and web sites. This threw fans into an uproar; the hash tag #AHIDEOKOJIMAGAME is still present on twitter moths and month later. Clues to Kojima’s departure suddenly became obvious in Ground Zeroes. “You may be able to erase the markings, but the memories will never disappear…” We do not know the real reason behind it all or when it began and probably wont until early next year, after KojiPro contracts with Konami end in December and even then, there may be some sort of vow of silence policy. We don’t know how this may have affected game content, release dates etc… but nonetheless it must be kept in mind when playing TPP.

My (short) thoughts on Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

By the time you are done with this game, many emotions are felt. You’ve killed Skull Face; you’ve taken your precious revenge. Something is wrong though, you want more, killing him wasn’t enough.  An outbreak hits your base; you must kill your own men. You lose your closest buddy who doesn’t even speak until her last scene in the game and yet it’s so powerful you don’t even realize the bond you have built with her and you wish there was a way to get her back, but there isn’t, she is gone. A Phantom Pain. Your revenge has solved nothing. No peace. Then you unlock mission #46. You are shown the truth. You have been played like a damn fiddle and I think it is amazing. You get angry, so angry you say that the games plot is terrible, missing content and is a failure as a whole. Kinda like when everyone started the tanker mission in MGS2…. We are told throughout the entire series how much of a villain Big Boss is. We, as the player wanted so badly to see it happen. See that decent into madness. So we play mission after mission waiting for it to happen, wanting it to happen. The Medic becomes Big Boss and we believe all of it is possible because we believe that we are playing as Big Boss. Hideo Kojima has made YOU Big Boss, made you the villain. He has yet again broken the 4th wall and had you establish Venom Snake a brand new character and the real Big Boss’s phantom. You are literally shaping the world view of him. People have said the twist was lame or lazy. I disagree. This game betrays you, it alters the perception of good and evil. So many times the game basically tells you that you’re not Big Boss. The two biggest tells are when you meet up with Huey and he doesn’t even recognize you at first, neither does the Mammal Pod…. Then there is Eli, whose DNA test comes back negative even though we are 100% sure that he is Liquid Snake, a clone of Big Boss. We don’t pay any attention to it. There is a third somewhat secret way to tell also, when in the ACC, if you angle the camera towards the window in the chopper that is below your hanging weapon and zoom in, look close and the truth will be revealed.  Kojima has “controlled your subconscious.” Big Boss’s motives are clear, he is ABSOLUTELY still a villain, letting an innocent man shape his world image. Do his dirty work. Even letting you die at the hands of one of his clones. The Phantom Pain shapes the narrative for the entire series after it takes place and it changes your entire view of it as well. A view you don’t want to be true. Kojima wanted to betray your expectations. This was his vision. What he wanted. The theme from MGS2 is repeated here “memes.” We carry on Big Boss’s meme right down to the last detail.  Now, I’m an honest person. This game is not perfect and there could have been some more story content. When I learned about mission #51 I was kinda pissed. It would have been great to play that. Does it mean Eli does not have “closure?” No. We already know liquids story. Overall though, the message of the game is complete, clear and concise. Your revenge have solved nothing. The cassette tapes are an absolute necessary part to your enjoyment of the plot progression, especially the “Truth Records” which fill in GIANT parts of the plot. Listen to them ALL. You’ll have a much more rewarding experience. “You, too, have known loss. And that loss torments you still. You hope hatred, might someday replace the pain, but it never goes away. It makes a man hideous, inside and out.”

Technically this game is nearly perfect. No other game is so rewarding to the player for his/her efforts to tackle each mission. The freedom in which to do so is nearly unlimited. Even if this game wasn’t called Metal Gear, it would receive this same praise.  The number of items and weapons is overkill (in a good way) not to mention the insane amount of customization that can be achieved.

Visuals/Audio are also fantastic, the day night cycle will make you approach missions completely differently and basically every game ever should now use the FOX engine. Ambient noises in the environment, especially the rain, immerse you even more into the world. I suggest a good set of at least 5.1 surround headphones when playing. The voice acting is good for the most part. Kaz can get tiresome with his angry whispering and of course there is the “WHOOOOOO!?” which detracts ALL of the seriousness from that particular scene.

Boss fights. YES. The Skulls are super fun and nerve racking to fight. The scale of Sahelanthropus in the open world is almost overwhelming. Some of the missions are so hard that they feel like boss fights themselves. However, there should have been more. More individual boss fights. (mission #51 would have been great)

The controls in GZ were sometimes sloppy and snakes movement felt that way too, its essentially cleared up in TPP with the exception of Snake sometimes not being able to climb small hills or obstacles.

Replayability is very, very high. Plenty of side ops, some of which are repeatable not to mention the FOB system. I was skeptical of it at first but its extremely rewarding, deep and fun. Take advantage of it. Not to mention MGO is dude out in October on consoles.

*At the time of writing this, apparently someone says they have found a so called “Chapter 3” within the PC version of the game with all kinds of “cut” content. If this is true or not remains to be seen. No official comment has come from Konami, Kojima or either of their representatives regarding DLC or anything of that nature. The only thing we know for sure is that Mission #51 was unfortunately excluded. So it cannot be taken as valid accurate information.

I am no writer. This is the first time I have done anything like this. So if this seems jumbled, sloppy or incomplete, please forgive me. I have been a die hard Metal Gear fan since 1998 and have played to completion every canonical title including the MSX titles. Id like to thank @TheLinianLegacy and @Campbell_Soupss for their time discussing the game and  adding their insight to the plot with me.

[Image: tumblr_mt0datDwt91rt6u7do1_400.gif]
PSN ID: BigBoss599
09-15-2015, 02:36 PM
RE: [SPOILERS] My thoughts on the plot of TPP
Quote:By the time you are done with this game, many emotions are felt. You’ve killed Skull Face; you’ve taken your precious revenge. Something is wrong though, you want more, killing him wasn’t enough. An outbreak hits your base; you must kill your own men. You lose your closest buddy who doesn’t even speak until her last scene in the game and yet it’s so powerful you don’t even realize the bond you have built with her and you wish there was a way to get her back, but there isn’t, she is gone. A Phantom Pain. Your revenge has solved nothing. No peace. Then you unlock mission #46. You are shown the truth. You have been played like a damn fiddle and I think it is amazing. You get angry, so angry you say that the games plot is terrible, missing content and is a failure as a whole.
I think you hit nail on head there with all of this. I actually played the Quiet Exit mission after the Truth, and had to fight off all those stupid tanks knowing he wasn't the real Big Boss. Haha. Then Quiet pisses off for good, you can't use her to replay old missions or side ops. Then I'm standing on a bridge on Mother Base saying, what the fuck do I do now? Go play some crummy side ops sans the coolest buddy character in the game? Leaves you feeling empty as fuck.

I've deleted my save data and am starting again. She ain't going anywhere this time.

Speaking of boss fights, how did everyone else deal with those skull snipers who stand between you and code talker? I resorted to ordering in an AV and just kept shooting at them until they stopped shooting me. Even then, the freaking vehicle was emitting a load of smoke by end of that fight.

-
09-15-2015, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2015 02:50 PM by Brian O'Blivion.)
(09-15-2015 02:36 PM)Artful Dodger Wrote:  Speaking of boss fights, how did everyone else deal with those skull snipers who stand between you and code talker?

I snuck by them.

Their perception seems to be pretty much the same as generic sniper enemies.

EDIT: http://i.imgur.com/ffkKJld.jpg They also completely failed to detect me flying away in a chopper right in front of them.

Excellent playtesting.
09-15-2015, 03:00 PM
Sneaking by them was the first thing I tried. Must be down to the route I took or something, because I got completely owned for even trying that.

Hm next time we'll see Big Grin

-
09-15-2015, 03:04 PM
If you sneak by them they get bored and fuck off. After picking up Code Talker you won't have to deal with soldiers. You'll instead deal with wandering puppets and the Skulls again.

I snuck by them the second time too.
09-15-2015, 06:35 PM
Metal Gear Z, I must say I agree with you, wholeheartedly. I've been trying to construct a complete and honest opinion on this game, and you just hit all the right notes with me.

When I finished the game, I couldn't help but smile at that twist. I felt Kojima was pulling off something similar to MGS2 and was happy because I actually got his intention this time around. I had heard and read all about people being pissed at the ending and was afraid the constant negative reception I perceived would stain my thoughts on the game, but it turned to be the opposite, quite to my delightful surprise.

Of course, like you say, the game isn't perfect, but should I care? I enjoyed my time playing it. I enjoyed the twist, even with all the game's apparent flaws. MGS2 is considered by some to be a largely misunderstood masterpiece, but it wasn't perfect in any way. That doesn't make it a bad game, just like this one isn't.

Kudos to you for placing into words what my thoughts have been concluding on the matter, that this game is indeed a satisfying send off for the series.

This is my signature. Like you give a fuck.
09-17-2015, 06:21 PM
Maybe the most depressing thing about it is that Venom ultimately dies for nothing.

-

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)