PS4 vs. Xbone vs. PS3 vs. 360 comparison thread
02-19-2014, 12:29 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2014 12:41 AM by jdnation.)
RE: PS4 vs. Xbone vs. PS3 vs. 360 comparison thread
More geometry is available in next-gen. More water buckets to hide behind. Next-gen offers more strategy.
[Image: idngQKqNPdgQn.gif]
[Image: RCvggwZ.jpg]

----------------------------------

There are no real time day/night/weather systems in GZ though. Some believe it may be due to the PS4's superior shaders. If you look closely there are some hints of clouds. But it's likely that the 360/PS3/Xbone are relying on a skybox texture, whereas PS4 is making more use of skylight shaders itself.

Update:
Apparently Kojima was asked about the sky and tweeted: "it appears that way because of "special processing based on atmospheric simulation".
https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo/status/...4297570304
[Image: vBKXl2y.png]

So they're running extra things on PS4. That's nice and all, but damnit I like clouds...

Original FOX GDC demos resembled PS4 version sky
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php...tcount=531

So PS4 is using dynamic lighting versus teh rest which may be relying on a textured skybox.

[Image: iinRpOYauV1UU.gif]
02-19-2014, 06:34 AM
So there's extra guards on watch in PS4?

Either way it does look spiffy to be sure.
02-19-2014, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2014 07:41 AM by Punished Pastry.)
Dynamic, randomized patrols? That would seem like a good idea on Kojima's part, just to mix is up each playthrough just to keep it fresh.

EDIT: Damn, it's looking really spiffy on the Next-gen (current-gen?), but also still looks really good on ps3/360. I can only imagine how good games will look 3-4 years from now when everyone has a next genSmile

MEN BECOME MUFFINS
02-19-2014, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2014 05:21 PM by Solidsuitlarry.)
Didn't MGS3 have somewhat randomized patrol routes, or at least "random" as a computer game can be? I remember seeing a video of some speedrun freak in the are where you meet Sokolov for the first time. And he seemed to be doing a lot of crouching and running in circles and shit in order to activate certain set "random" behavior of the guards which he was aware of the mechanics of.

Hey its my lucky day, I made a mistake and was able to edit!
02-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Been playing MGS3 on classic cam...amazing game. The guard patrols can be a bitch to lock onto but it's best when you get the drop on your enemies.

And yeah EDITING's been working nicely lately.
02-26-2014, 03:11 PM
Damnit I have to get a pos4 now. I love water buckets.

"When I first played Metal Gear Solid I was but a boy. Then after watching Snake and Meryl ride off into the sunset I was [SIC] suddenly had six hungry mouths to feed and a pile of bills to pay. Metal Gear ruined my childhood."

[Image: foxhoundmg2.gif]
02-26-2014, 09:47 PM
(02-22-2014 06:35 PM)nanoMACHINEgun Wrote:  Been playing MGS3 on classic cam...amazing game. The guard patrols can be a bitch to lock onto but it's best when you get the drop on your enemies.

In MGS3 with classic cam did anyone else get the urge to start yanking out clumps of pubic hair while fighting The Fury? Or was that just me?
02-26-2014, 10:24 PM
I remember the first time I played Subsistence, I loved the new camera so much in the fight with The Pain and The Fury. It sucks with The Boss though.
03-01-2014, 03:05 PM
(02-26-2014 09:47 PM)Solidsuitlarry Wrote:  
(02-22-2014 06:35 PM)nanoMACHINEgun Wrote:  Been playing MGS3 on classic cam...amazing game. The guard patrols can be a bitch to lock onto but it's best when you get the drop on your enemies.

In MGS3 with classic cam did anyone else get the urge to start yanking out clumps of pubic hair while fighting The Fury? Or was that just me?

(02-26-2014 10:24 PM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  I remember the first time I played Subsistence, I loved the new camera so much in the fight with The Pain and The Fury. It sucks with The Boss though.

New cam is definitely not ideal on the boss. For the fury all I needed was thermals. Easy fight. At the time I thought it was too easy. Much later I realized not everyone grabbed those so I can see how it can be a pain. I was actually pretty disappointed in that boss.
03-01-2014, 03:24 PM
I also really wish that MGS4 had the Subsistence style camera. That is, being able to choose the overhead view when I want. In some situations it's just best, like in that part in act 2 when you have to go up that hill thing at the beginning. With the 3D camera I just can't see anything on the higher elevations. I remember moving the camera around and only seeing Snake's body and barely anything else.
03-01-2014, 04:04 PM
(03-01-2014 03:24 PM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  I also really wish that MGS4 had the Subsistence style camera. That is, being able to choose the overhead view when I want. In some situations it's just best, like in that part in act 2 when you have to go up that hill thing at the beginning. With the 3D camera I just can't see anything on the higher elevations. I remember moving the camera around and only seeing Snake's body and barely anything else.

you know kojima has to hate that 3D camera. Prolly why he made 4 and PW so hard to play without getting caught. Seems hella intent on reminding players that mgs is different than splinter cell.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)