Ocelot's black arm band
04-02-2017, 01:07 PM
RE: Ocelot's black arm band
...so Ocelot kidnapped the Snakes when they were children...?

Fox-Hound isn't based out of Neverland Ranch, is it? No wonder half the characters are magical; they all beLIEve!

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
04-02-2017, 11:53 PM
I don't care if he fucked children, he made the soundtrack for Sonic 3.
04-03-2017, 10:10 AM
Was any of that stuff said about Michael Jackson actually proven?
04-03-2017, 11:10 AM
No. Neither were Cosby's rapes or OJ's murders. But in this day and age, if you're a celebrity, an accusation is far worse than any amount of actual guilt could ever be, and completely negates all prior successes.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

04-04-2017, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2017 12:07 PM by jdnation.)
Fun Fact. Arm Arm Bands are all about the children!

10. THE ARMBAND (Smooth Criminal 1988)
-He famously said: “As long as there are underprivileged children in
the world, I will continue to wear this armband.”
-Michael was influenced by the 60’s when black armbands symbolized war
protests.
-Regardless of colour, all of the armbands symbolized the same thing.

http://www.mjworld.net/news/2014/09/01/m...rademarks/

But also this...

Symbol of Mourning

In some cultures, a black armband signifies that the wearer is in mourning or wishes to identify with the commemoration of a family friend, comrade or team member who has died. This use is particularly common in the first meeting following the loss of a member. In association football, it is common for a team to wear black armbands in their next match after the death of a former player or manager. This may also be accompanied by a moment of silence at the start of the match.

The phrase "black armband view of history" was introduced to the Australian political lexicon by conservative historian Geoffrey Blainey in 1993 to describe views of history which, he believed, posited that "much of Australian history had been a disgrace" and which focused mainly on the treatment of minority groups, especially Aborigines.[3] The term was used by Prime Minister John Howard, whose perspective on Australian history strongly contrasted with what he called the black armband view.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armband

Should explain Ocelot's usage as mourning for MSF.

[Image: 4ddda966793b6d83f44ae985bf223c61.jpg]

But Also!

Cabinet members watch with mixed emotions as President Franklin D. Roosevelt, wearing a black armband, signs the United States' declaration of war against Japan at 4:10 p.m. Washington time on December 8, 1941. On December 7, Japanese planes bombed Pearl Harbor, Hawaii in a surprise attack that destroyed a large portion of the fleet there, prompting the war declaration. | Location: Executive Office, White House, Washington, DC, USA.

[Image: cabinet-members-watch-with-mixed-emotion...d514080362]

[Image: prh_01_img0066.jpg]

Thousands line the streets of Bangkok as a convoy returns Thailand's king to his Grand Palace and the crown prince presides over the bathing of his body in a traditional Buddhist funeral rite

[Image: 395F7CC700000578-3837760-image-m-5_1476441381350.jpg]

But who was Ocelot mourning in MGS1? Big Boss?

[Image: 180?cb=20060802230018]

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

Arguably it could still represent MSF until you realize that Kojima hadn't even thought of that at the time.

And Then what about MGS3? The Sorrow?
[Image: BwYvqLpIUAAAW6w.jpg]

Maybe it was always just a funeral image he made part of the costume to emphasize the character and death together.

"He is an ex-Russian Spetsnaz soldier who served during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. It was during this time that he became infamous amongst the mujahadeen as a sadist for which they christened him Shalashaska (a Russian slang word for "prison")."

Then again, that's based on Blaustein's 'translation.'
https://youtu.be/eVYpi9rSdSs?t=51s

His codename was originally to have been Lynx, though Kojima disliked the sound of it and decided to change it to Ocelot.[1] Ocelot's nickname of Shalashaska (シャラシャーシカ Sharashāshika?) is a corruption of "sharashka," which is an informal name for the OKB R&D labs in the Soviet Gulag labor camp system.
http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Revolver_Ocelot

Maybe DarthCaligula can tell us based on the Japanese original VA.

The Experimental Design Bureau (Russian: Опытное конструкторское бюро, Opytnoe konstruktorskoe bûro; ОКБ), commonly known as sharashka (Russian: шара́жка, [ʂɐˈraʂkə]; sometimes sharaga, sharazhka) was an informal name for secret research and development laboratories in the Soviet Gulag labor camp system. Etymologically, the word sharashka is derived from a Russian slang expression sharashkina kontora ("Sharashka's office", which in its turn comes from the criminal argot term sharaga (шарага) for a band of thieves, hoodlums, etc.[1]), an ironic, derogatory term to denote a poorly organized, impromptu, or bluffing organization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharashka
04-04-2017, 12:05 PM
I told you, even in the '60s, that's where he kept his iPhone!

Look at the shit in Piss Walker and TRY to tell me that iPhones are too "advanced" for Kojima's history.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

04-05-2017, 03:24 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2017 03:31 PM by DarthCaligula.)
Yeah, like I said, he wears it in every game he appears in except MGS4, with the stupid Liquid hypnosis thing. I found a picture online from a Japanese Twitter account when I was searching for fan art (not Metal Gear fan art, but he did a lot of art of MGSV). It was a picture showing screenshots of each version of him, and that's when I noticed that he had a black arm band in every game, not just MGS2. I'm really surprised how I never noticed that. It was also cool seeing how the design would change, but you can see certain elements Ocelot always has, like the red scarf as well, the bandolier (which goes opposite from the others in MGS1), and the revolver in its holster on the front right, very close to his hand, obviously so he can do the quick drawing which he loves so much.
So what you said seems to mostly have to do with mourning, but I really don't understand just who he's mourning. Maybe he just think it looks cool. I just wonder if there's supposed to be something else to it, but nothing seems to totally fit.

And what part about Ocelot would you want me to check? Is this information in MGS1 that someone talks about on the Codec during the fight with him? I could look into it and see if I can figure it out. Or are you talking about the tape in MGSV with him talking about it? I don't own that game, but maybe I can find a video with that conversation and I could see what I can understand.
04-06-2017, 12:07 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2017 12:08 AM by jdnation.)
Blaustein in the interview refers to Ocelots Shalashaska nickname and doesnt remember what it meant or whether it was an accurate translation or just something he improvised. Though I guess the briefing cassettes in MGSV confirm that it was accurate.

Anyway, someone should just ask Shinkawa.
04-06-2017, 12:52 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2017 01:02 AM by DarthCaligula.)
I can't remember when they say the name in MGS1, but I do remember it in MGS2. Check at 1:02:

"Ore wa Sharashashika!"

So, you can hear it for yourself, for whatever that's worth. You can also see that once his coat comes off, he's got the black arm band there as well, so he has it in both chapters.

I like this comment from that Blaustein interview from BigBossIsBack:

"It's really sad that he wasn't brought back on for MGS2, 3, and 4. I mean, I'm sure he could have worked wonders for the mess that is MGS2 and the lackluster voice work in 3. 4 was pretty well done but still suffers from the wonkyness of its brothers. Thank god they kept Kris Zimmerman onboard for all of them, otherwise everything would have gone to shit."

Ha ha ha. What an ignorant fool. I do not hate Blaustein, but I think that the work I and others have done analyzing the dialogue from the games has shown that he totally got some of these lines wrong. But this idea that if he translated MGS2 that the voice acting would have been better is absolutely stupid. He didn't direct the voice acting, so how the hell would he have made it better? I will say that he did a good job making the dialogue in MGS1 feel more natural, but the simple fact is that he did mess up some of it, even if I think I can understand why he interpreted something like the "Big Boss was in a coma" part wrong.
And this guy praises Kris Zimmerman, while I've come to be pretty pissed at her after doing my work. We can only imagine if a true talent like Amy Hennig could somehow have been involved in the dubbing of these games. I'm certain she could have actually gotten a good performance out of Quinton Flynn, because she's badass.
04-07-2017, 01:55 PM
Well Amy Hennigs case, the source performances were directly used in the game.

The English dub team for MGS had to match the Japanese performances directed by Kojiima. So naturally some things would have to be altered.

MGS4 was the first one where lip synch was changed for the English dub and the Japanese releases. But physical acting was all done in Japan under Kojima.

But yeah, it looks like the VA direction had problems with how they presented the characters. It's like they just looked at an image and cast the role based on that.

It's possible that casting was done far in advance while the game was still in production simultaneously with the Japanese performances, without being able to see them, and without much input from Kojima. So who knows who was ultimately responsible.
04-07-2017, 06:18 PM
Lip sync is for clowns; MGS1's brain-trauma head-bob was bawss.

I read somewhere, shortly after MGS1 came out, that Kojima liked the English voices in MGS1 more than the original Japanese. I agree, but in MGS2 & 3, the Japanese voices are definitely better.

I'm certain the Yiddish dub is the best version of all the games. Anyone know where I can hear the Yiddish version?

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

04-07-2017, 07:19 PM
What? I'm going to need a source for that thing about Kojima liking the English voices more, because I don't buy it.
04-08-2017, 03:08 AM
Only in MGS1. It was a magazine article, probably OPM.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

04-11-2017, 05:52 PM
Yeah I recall Kojima saying that too. But I think it was more because MGS features Western characters and setting, so English made sense as the natural language.

And speaking of unnecessary clothing, here's some new merch!
http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=29707
04-12-2017, 07:52 PM
I think the words on the back look pretty dumb. Why not have the logo really big on the back with the "From sapiens to ludens" directly below that?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)