New myth article that even you may need to read
07-30-2011, 03:46 AM
New myth article that even you may need to read
Sometimes when I post a myth article people tell me that I wasted my time typing up a page or whatever pointing out the obvious. In this case, I think even those people may learn something new.

Thanks to Marc from Junker HQ for his translation assistance again.

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
07-30-2011, 04:44 AM

To be honest I figured the whole coma thing was reconnected and they came up with something else. In Snake Eater Para-Medic made it very clear to Snake he should preserve his DNA. Who is to say that during one of his military physicals a blood sample was taken and put away for a rainy day? Or it could have been similar to Solid Snake where he received Fox Die immediately before the mission.

Here is a crazy theory.
After the virtuous mission Zero had realized Snake had been exposed to radiation yet AGAIN and realized how much of an asset his DNA was. So while he was recovering at the hospital for a week a DNA sample was snuck. Probably went something like this

Zero: Snake how goes the recovery?
Snake: Not too bad but the pain of the Boss's betrayal... *cry's into palms*
Zero: *takes hair snippet* Well cheer up you have a world to save! *dashes off, trips with excitement, stores that shit for research*

[Image: Linktube-1.jpg]

Playing Metal Gear is like riding a blike- Drunk Econs
07-30-2011, 05:40 AM

I'm pretty certain that in the MGS3 Extreme Box it was mentioned that Big Boss was rendered sterile by the first blast at Tselinoyarsk. You might want to have Marc check the Virtuous Mission commentary to double-check, though.

Pentarou Wrote:
PUNISHED NITROID
A Visionary robbed of his Fansite

[Image: sig_kpnbanner.png]
07-30-2011, 05:49 AM

Nitroid Wrote:I'm pretty certain that in the MGS3 Extreme Box it was mentioned that Big Boss was rendered sterile by the first blast at Tselinoyarsk. You might want to have Marc check the Virtuous Mission commentary to double-check, though.

It very well could have said that but remember the retcon...THE RETCON!!!

[Image: Linktube-1.jpg]

Playing Metal Gear is like riding a blike- Drunk Econs
07-30-2011, 05:48 PM

Wouldn't Big Boss have also been exposed to radiation a third time when The Boss fired the remaining Davey Crockett missile and blew up Groznyj Grad before the end?

[Image: Top_Gear_Logo.gif]
07-30-2011, 07:27 PM

Linktube Wrote:It very well could have said that but remember the retcon...THE RETCON!!!

Not that I'm singling you out, but rather the whole "MGS FACTS R CONCRETE" (itself a myth) mentality, but if any retcon can exist, known or unknown, future or past then none of it means anything, and it's all truly up to personal experience and interpretation.

So what's the value of any of it? Does it matter when he had the kids?

I liked the article, but I still am weirded out so many people are so obsessed with the facts, which can easily be overturned in the future or may already be (with things such as the MGS:Database).
07-30-2011, 08:21 PM

TheParoxysm Wrote:I liked the article, but I still am weirded out so many people are so obsessed with the facts, which can easily be overturned in the future or may already be (with things such as the MGS:Database).

Which is an ironic notion, as the Database retcons itself in a few places. Either Kojima is a lazy writer, or he's invented a new type of meta-meta-fiction.

Pentarou Wrote:
PUNISHED NITROID

07-30-2011, 09:14 PM

Nitroid Wrote:
TheParoxysm Wrote:I liked the article, but I still am weirded out so many people are so obsessed with the facts, which can easily be overturned in the future or may already be (with things such as the MGS:Database).

Which is an ironic notion, as the Database retcons itself in a few places. Either Kojima is a lazy writer, or he's invented a new type of meta-meta-fiction.

Or he signed off after a very quick review of it as it was done by a team of others.
07-31-2011, 02:24 PM

TheParoxysm Wrote:
Nitroid Wrote:

Or he signed off after a very quick review of it as it was done by a team of others.

Boy, it's a good thing that we'll never have to rely on that team for an actual story!

Oh, wait.

Pentarou Wrote:
PUNISHED NITROID

07-31-2011, 05:35 PM

Yeah, the future project leads for Kojima Productions.

Future titles will be in their names.
08-02-2011, 06:16 PM

Sorry Ravi, but this Myth article is kinds BS man. You use the original Japanese script as your only solid footing, but deny the English script for both MGS1 AND MGS TTS, even though they are Kojima approved scripts.

I believe that by the time they got around to localizing the first MGS the accepted idea by Kojima, was that Big Boss had been (even if only for a short time) in a coma while his DNA was extracted without his knowledge.

As for the injury leaving him sterile, well....he hinted at Bikini Atoll in MGS3 and outright balls out (pun intended) admitted it in Portable Ops. Now of course you could argue whether Ops was canon, but I am going to go with it being canon...in spite of being the weakest title.

Honestly being exposed to one nuclear bomb is more than enough to sterilize a guy...so those trying to figure out what other "injury" they could mean need search no more

The best supporting evidence of him...in fact...being in a coma of some type is that in Peace Walker he has no knowledge about the LET project. Being sterile does not make you stupid. So somehow or another his DNA was taken without him knowing. Of course you don't need to be in a coma for someone to take a sample of your DNA, but as two versions of the Metal Gear Solid script have stated this to be so, and it does not conflict with anything else in the canon, why would anyone assume it to be a Myth? You really must be bored if you want to "dis-prove" things that don't even really need disproving.

Really this isn't a Myth article...it is conjecture. There is a difference between Fact, and what you hypothesize to be possibly fact....bases on a single line spoken in a single game...that doesn't really conflict with anything else directly.
08-02-2011, 06:47 PM

Ron!n Wrote:Now of course you could argue whether Ops was canon, but I am going to go with it being canon...

As much as I hate weighing in on any Canon debate, Ops is, it's referenced in PW. So unless PW is noncanon, and DB is noncanon, then PO is canon.
08-02-2011, 07:34 PM

Ron!n Wrote:As for the injury leaving him sterile, well....he hinted at Bikini Atoll in MGS3 and outright balls out (pun intended) admitted it in Portable Ops. Now of course you could argue whether Ops was canon, but I am going to go with it being canon...in spite of being the weakest title.
He only tells Elisa that he "can't be a father" and in no way references to Bikini Atoll in Portable Ops unless you're referring to another line. I think it was Bikini Atoll as that makes the most sence, but it's never 100% confirmed although Nitroid has said that it might be stated explicitly so in official promotional materials in Japan that I don't have access to unfortunately.

On a related note, if anybody could get me the Japanese script for Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, I would appreciate it.
Ron!n Wrote:I believe that by the time they got around to localizing the first MGS the accepted idea by Kojima, was that Big Boss had been (even if only for a short time) in a coma while his DNA was extracted without his knowledge.
Observe the exact line spoken by Liquid:

Code:
Their plan was to artificially create the most powerful soldier possible. The person that they chose as the model was the man known then as the greatest living soldier in the world...

Snake then interrupts with a self-reflecting answer "Big Boss..." Liquid continues with the line in question:

Code:
But father was wounded in combat and already in a coma when they brought him in. So they created us from his cells... with a combination of 20th century analog cloning and the Super Baby Method.

He is essentially saying that because Big Boss was in a coma, they had no choice but to clone the guy. Like I stated in the article, you can still extract sperm from a comatose male. So it really doesn't even make sense anyways. Compare it to the more accurate translation from Marc:

Code:
But an injury father sustained in combat left him sterile. So they created us from his cells... with a combination of 20th century analog cloning and the Super Baby Method.

Here Liquid is saying that because he was sterile from an injury, he had to be cloned. This actually makes sense.
Ron!n Wrote:The best supporting evidence of him...in fact...being in a coma of some type is that in Peace Walker he has no knowledge about the LET project. Being sterile does not make you stupid. So somehow or another his DNA was taken without him knowing. Of course you don't need to be in a coma for someone to take a sample of your DNA
Which destroys the point you just made. There are many ways to get someone's DNA without their knowledge.
Ron!n Wrote:but as two versions of the Metal Gear Solid script have stated this to be so, and it does not conflict with anything else in the canon, why would anyone assume it to be a Myth?
Because it's an issue which fans have a Waiting For Godot reaction to, hoping desperately that the subject will be addressed as it is a huge mystery. The very reason why it's a myth is because people don't think it is.

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
08-02-2011, 07:37 PM

Ravi Singh Wrote:Because it's an issue which fans have a Waiting For Godot reaction to, hoping desperately that the subject will be addressed as it is a huge mystery.

What a fantastic reference and way to describe most of the MGS fan community's only possible solution to the plot errors.
08-10-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:As much as I hate weighing in on any Canon debate, Ops is, it's referenced in PW. So unless PW is noncanon, and DB is noncanon, then PO is canon.
We've been betrayed.

[Image: 2j2bzx2.jpg]
In the age of super-boredom, hype and mediocrity
Celebrate relentlessness, menace to society ©

Big Punisaladin Venomakedic Bossnake ©
My vision is augmented ©
ttp://i58.tinypic.com/21cbf2d.gifhttp://fc05.deviantart.net/fs40/f/2009/041/5/5/Burn_After_Reading_HeadshotGIF_by_Teri928.gif

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)