New article about canons and shit
01-03-2011, 05:40 AM
New article about canons and shit
[Image: cannon.jpg]

No. not that ca--

[Image: Nick-Cannon.jpg]

No, god damn it, you're spelling it wrong!

[Image: Canon400D_main.jpg]

Fuck you. Just read it under THE FEATURES or here.

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
01-03-2011, 05:55 AM

The closing sentence made me lol a bit.

Eh, you won't find me disagreeing with any of that. I've been arguing the same case for a while now, but I'm pretty sure my words fall on deaf ears.

What I do now quite understand is how much of a risk does Konami think a reboot would be? I assume they're trying to stick to the cannon, because they know their devoted audience (actual fans or otherwise) are familiar with it. But I seriously doubt any of them would mind a reboot and, in addition, gamers who have been hammering the series for its writing and can't be bothered with it because of the convoluted plot, since at least as far back as MGS2, may find something more to like here.
01-03-2011, 06:01 AM

Using the established canon is simply a way to generate interest in the core audience which would be those who are already Metal Gear fans such as ourselves. It's a benefit, but the negatives--including the fact that it prevents newcomers from feeling safe and will eventually tire itself out if it has not already--are far more dangerous.

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
01-03-2011, 06:57 AM

Kojima has become the George Lucas of game dev..
01-03-2011, 09:43 AM

Shouldn't it be...
Quote:where he does not have the special boots.
?

Cool Stuff I Worked On:
Seeing Things For What They Are - Raiden & Rose Analysis
MYTH: Hideo Kojima said that Portable Ops and Metal Gear Rising are canonical
Metal Gear Solid V: Parasitic Legacy
01-03-2011, 12:05 PM

I enjoyed it. Have you ever considered Strangelove to be Emma's mother and not Otacon's? If I'm not mistaken, Emma's mother moved back to England after Huey's death. Emma and Otacon were also step siblings.

Strangelove Wrote:If you fancy me, come walk with me.

She could have been able to easily seduce Otacon because maybe he took a fancy to her and lol he could walk.

[Image: henryrollins2.jpg]
http://www.youtube.com/NourishedPsyche
01-03-2011, 01:28 PM

You know I have a lot more respect for Kojima now that I know that he admits the metal gear plot is full of holes and that is even to much for him to tackle.

[Image: Linktube-1.jpg]

Playing Metal Gear is like riding a blike- Drunk Econs
01-03-2011, 04:52 PM

John Wrote:Shouldn't it be...
Quote:where he does not have the special boots.
?
Well no, we don't know if he has them or not per se. Maybe Kojima can make up something about how he damaged them and needed to repair them. However, he certainly was not wearing them.

01-03-2011, 04:55 PM

...I mean the word was missing. I got the point.

Edit: Wait, I just looked it up and it's fixed.
Quote:where he does not wear the special boots.
I swore it wasn't there before.

Cool Stuff I Worked On:
Seeing Things For What They Are - Raiden & Rose Analysis
MYTH: Hideo Kojima said that Portable Ops and Metal Gear Rising are canonical
Metal Gear Solid V: Parasitic Legacy
01-03-2011, 04:56 PM

I don't see it?
NourishedPsyche Wrote:I enjoyed it. Have you ever considered Strangelove to be Emma's mother and not Otacon's? If I'm not mistaken, Emma's mother moved back to England after Huey's death. Emma and Otacon were also step siblings.

Strangelove Wrote:If you fancy me, come walk with me.

She could have been able to easily seduce Otacon because maybe he took a fancy to her and lol he could walk.
No. Emma has no blood relation to Otacon. She is the daughter of Huey's last wife and a man who goes by the name of Danziger or something like that. Whoever was Otacon's mother got it with Huey around 1979-1980 and left him.

01-03-2011, 05:58 PM

I agree 100%. Been saying it for years! Not only are these new interquel games ruining established titles, they don't even fit together anymore! When you break it down, Portable Ops and Peace Walker can't exist in the same timeline. So with both games being attempts at "Missing Link" they actually work against each other.

That's why I honestly stopped caring after MGS4. MG1, MG2, MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, and MGS4 is really all the story you need. MGS4 does a great job of covering what happened between MGS3 and MG1 so there never was and never will be a need for a new plot installment.

Sadly, I think that if they "had to" make a missing link, I really don't understand why Kojima couldn't just expand on what was explained in Act 3 of MGS4? Not create a new plot, but just make a game based on Big Mama's dialog. Would've worked well for a handheld system. Smaller missions, each one covering a different time period. Something from 1970 to establish Fox Hound. Something from 1972 to touch on Les Enfants Terrible. And perhaps a third one set in the 80's to cover the formation of Outer Heaven. DONE! And with these different periods they would not be limited to creating useless plot twists for a new story. Short missions for each of those vital events.

Kojima just dropped the ball on this, big time.

METAL GEAR FOREVER 2001-2012
[Image: MetalGearForever.gif]
01-03-2011, 06:49 PM

Kojima wasn't trying -- special boots?

[Image: retconnd.jpg]

Anti-gravity suppository.
01-04-2011, 03:40 PM

Ravi Singh Wrote:No. Emma has no blood relation to Otacon. She is the daughter of Huey's last wife and a man who goes by the name of Danziger or something like that. Whoever was Otacon's mother got it with Huey around 1979-1980 and left him.

Actually, Danziger is the name of the woman Huey married, she was called Julie. She was also British and had Emma as her daughter by that time, so maybe...

Unless Kojima is considering another retcon.

Ay Gee Wrote:Sadly, I think that if they "had to" make a missing link, I really don't understand why Kojima couldn't just expand on what was explained in Act 3 of MGS4? Not create a new plot, but just make a game based on Big Mama's dialog. Would've worked well for a handheld system. Smaller missions, each one covering a different time period. Something from 1970 to establish Fox Hound. Something from 1972 to touch on Les Enfants Terrible. And perhaps a third one set in the 80's to cover the formation of Outer Heaven. DONE! And with these different periods they would not be limited to creating useless plot twists for a new story. Short missions for each of those vital events.

Kojima just dropped the ball on this, big time.

He wanted the game to hold on its own, and not depend on other installments to become understandable. Kind of the opposite to what he did in MGS4.

This is my signature. Like you give a fuck.
01-05-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:He wanted the game to hold on its own, and not depend on other installments to become understandable. Kind of the opposite to what he did in MGS4.

And he failed because Peace Walker does nothing but damage the existing plot. Trying to make it big and stand on it's own created something that now makes Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2 (and in some ways MGS1) completely irrelivant. Why was Outer Heaven declared a threat in MG1? Because it had a revolutionary walking tank capable of launching a nuke. Outer Heave was a nuclear power. But after Peace Walker, who cares?! Big Boss was became a nuclear power in 1974, complete with a walking/jumping, nuclear capable Metal Gear that made TX-55 look like a toy. Metal Gear D was a joke too by comparison. Even REX is slow and clumsy when you compare it to Zeke and Peace Walker.

And what did we get in return for ruining the first two games? A Ghost in the Shell paradoy with The Boss?! C'mon! AI weaponry that would've been too advanced for 2014 are running wild four decades earlier. The Boss is an AI. And Big Boss and Miller are getting it on on the beach! Thank you very fucking much Mr. Kojima!

METAL GEAR FOREVER 2001-2012
[Image: MetalGearForever.gif]
01-05-2011, 11:42 AM

Likewise, the "standing on it's own" argument falls flat when you take into consideration that Peace Walker could have been a non-canon or alternative sequel installment. Instead it takes place between two canon games, one of which is completely made irrelevant (if it wasn't already), and boasts of being a "missing link" between two other canon titles.
elman Wrote:Actually, Danziger is the name of the woman Huey married, she was called Julie. She was also British and had Emma as her daughter by that time, so maybe...

Unless Kojima is considering another retcon.
The Colonel Wrote:You see, although the two weren’t directly related, they were said to be very close.
E.E. Wrote:We were [close]... back then. We were stepchildren in our parent's second marriages.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)