Myth: Hideo Kojima said that Portable Ops and Rising are canon
03-30-2016, 01:17 PM
Myth: Hideo Kojima said that Portable Ops and Rising are canon
Myth: Hideo Kojima said that Portable Ops and Rising are canon.
03-30-2016, 01:22 PM
RE: Myth: Hideo Kojima said that Portable Ops and Rising are canon
Who ever said Kojima considered them canon? I've never heard anything of the sort; from as far back as the NES Metal Gear, he's never cared much for Metal Gear games that weren't his whether they were good or bad.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
03-30-2016, 02:26 PM
All the corporate hooing and haaing non-committal answers are simple...

They want people to buy the games.

They are aware that a segment of people would rather just skip spin-offs if they could, particularly new interested players who want to play older games in the run up to newer game and ask what titles are really necessary.

The facts are that in the run up to Portable Ops and Rising, all marketing was putting these games out as part of the 'canon.'

In fact there's no doubt in my mind that Portable Ops was fully intended to be part of the canon, but reflecting on the problems of the game forced the creative forces (mainly Kojima) to retcon that idea.

So we have various corporative and creative statements contradicting themselves... typical...

It's not just related to Metal Gear. It also comes up in Silent Hill discussions...

When Silent Hill Shattered Memories was coming up, there was some disappointment expressed that the game wasn't going to be part of the 'canon.'

The Konami PR was some high-falutin answer that "Hey guys, everything is 'canon'!" And this about a game that was being pitched as a remake/reimagining of the original game.

These guys are so scared of saying, "Hey yeah, it's not part of canon, it's just a neat little spin-off using the brand. Why not enjoy?"

But that's because bullshit 'it's all canon' answers provide more incentive for people to play these games feeling they're missing out on crucial story development. Hence it's all a sales-driven rationale.

Maybe Ac!d's sales scared them off?

Maybe it's the same paranoia about the Raiden-backlash where now every game must have the Snake and that there Otacon-guy? And thus emphasis on 'canon' must go along with it too.
03-30-2016, 05:46 PM
Hell, Metal Gear 2 isn't even canon anymore!

The Soviet Union no longer existed in 1999, and Big Boss is no longer a child soldier raising monster, now he's a hero who was slandered by the real enemy, and Solid Snake is Pussy Snake.
03-30-2016, 06:18 PM
Snake's Revenge is more canon than MG2 now.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

03-30-2016, 08:41 PM
Might as well be.
03-31-2016, 03:30 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2016 03:39 AM by THEND.)
PO > or < or = PW ?

MGR > or < or = MGGB ?

ok fine...mga! kaleidoscope action redifinablangata

edit SR = _____?
03-31-2016, 10:34 AM
Don't you dare compare Ghost Babel to Rising.
03-31-2016, 06:22 PM
Just so everybody is aware, most uses of "canon" in this article and the comments are incorrect. Some of the commenters may not care, but SolidKenny should definitely take note if he wants his points of discussion to be taken seriously and to sound more educated.

Excerpt from http://www.tvtropes.org/main/canon:

"It must be noted that 'canon' is a term misused even more often than the notorious 'Egregious.' Many people mistakenly use 'canon' when they mean 'canonical,' 'non-canon' when they mean 'non-canonical,' and 'established canon' when they mean 'established canonicity.' 'Canon' is a singular noun that refers to the official story of a work (typically according to the writers of said work) and must come after an article like 'the' or 'a.' 'Canonical' is the adjective form describing something that is or isn't part of the canon. 'Canonicity' is another noun form which refers to the state of something being canonical. The correct terminology can be most easily exhibited with these two sentences: 'Because this particular detail is canonical, it fits within established canonicity and therefore is part of the official canon. However, because this other conflicting detail does not fit into canonicity, it's clearly non-canonical and does not belong in the canon.' If you're still confused, a simple way to remember how to use these words is to compare 'canon' to 'finale,' 'canonical' to 'final,' and 'canonicity' to 'finality.'"
03-31-2016, 07:39 PM
What are you, a rocket biologist?

When I say "canon," I'm talking about that shitty olde-skool gun that shoots lead balls at craptastic boats.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

03-31-2016, 10:08 PM
(03-31-2016 06:22 PM)EBsessed Wrote:  Just so everybody is aware, most uses of "canon" in this article and the comments are incorrect.

Who gives a fuck? We understand what they mean when they say it. Go back to spending all day reading about tropes like it's going to help you be anybody but an asshole know-it-all

Benny Harvey, RIP
03-31-2016, 11:58 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2016 12:00 AM by EBsessed.)
Well, I guess you certainly live up to your title there, "irl cunt."

To quote myself for accurately predicting how the more ignorant people here would respond:

EBsessed Wrote:Some of the commenters may not care, but SolidKenny should definitely take note if he wants his points of discussion to be taken seriously and to sound more educated.

Thus, that comment wasn't for you. It was for SolidKenny. I don't have a Twitter, and being the kind of person I know him to be (in that he wants to make his arguments sound as legitimate and well-thought-out as possible), he'd like to know if he was saying something wrong or inaccurate in his arguments, so since I found this article through Meta Gear, I decided commenting here might allow Kenny to see it. I pointed it out to Terry Wolfe and he was greatly appreciative of the information, especially since he's writing a book about Kojima and the Metal Gear series as a whole, during which he'll likely be using the word "canon" quite a bit.

See, that's the difference. I'm speaking to the people who actually give a shit about how educated they sound, not to the people who lash out and viciously attack people with no provocation.

"Do not correct a fool, or he will hate you; correct a wise man and he will appreciate you."
04-01-2016, 03:58 AM
(03-31-2016 11:58 PM)EBsessed Wrote:  Well, I guess you certainly live up to your title there, "irl cunt."

Yeah, Sput. You cunt!

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

04-01-2016, 04:45 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2016 04:58 AM by sput.)
(03-31-2016 11:58 PM)EBsessed Wrote:  Well, I guess you certainly live up to your title there, "irl cunt."

Boo hoo somebody wasn't correct in grammar and I don't have twitter stop bullying me! Fuck off trope boy, eat some dicks and die of AIDS

"Some assholes will actually care about grammar and won't listen to you points if you use one word technically incorrectly"

Benny Harvey, RIP
04-01-2016, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2016 09:53 AM by EBsessed.)
(03-31-2016 11:58 PM)EBsessed Wrote:  "Do not correct a fool, or he will hate you; correct a wise man and he will appreciate you."

Speaks for itself.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)