Metal Gear Survive |OT| Quantum OPS [PS4/XB1/PC]
04-08-2017, 10:01 AM
RE: Metal Gear Survive |OT| Quantum OPS [PS4/XB1/PC]
...or when you're castrating your series with sexy violence pachinko machines.

You could also outsource all the work to Spain or whatev.
04-08-2017, 12:25 PM
Kojima should put out a Death Stranding Pachinko Machine just to mess with them.

You have to connect yourself with an umbilical cord before you can hit the lever.
06-13-2017, 11:28 AM
BREAKING: Metal Gear Survive still a thing.

http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=30145

Also, to nobody's suprise: Konami is giving new KP a hard time to even get health insurance. Alsoalso former KP employees are being bad mouthed by Konami wherever and whenever they get the chance.

http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=30108
06-13-2017, 01:35 PM
After MGS4's ending, I bad-mouth them every chance I get too.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
06-14-2017, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2017 09:17 PM by jdnation.)
METAL GEAR SCHVIVE DELAYED! LOL!

OMIGOSH WASTING MORE MONEY IN LONG DEVELOPMENT CYCLES EVEN WITH WHEN RECYCLING ASSETS!

KONAMI SHOULD FIRE THEMSELVES LIKE THEY FIRED CRAZY-SPENDING TAKING-TOO-LONG KOJIMA!

http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=30183

I hope Jim Sterling does a whole video on this.
[Image: get?url=http%3A%2F%2Fimgur.com%2FJlZYyod...;amp;h=445]
http://kotaku.com/report-the-hideo-kojim...1796012603

[Image: feonkz2xdw5w0ftn3qpq.gif]
06-15-2017, 02:06 PM
I don't feel like I ever understood what exactly happened with Kojima and Konami. There was tension building for a long time, and all the money spent on MGSV is what finally made Konami decide they had enough of Kojima?
06-15-2017, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2017 05:39 PM by jdnation.)
(06-15-2017 02:06 PM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  I don't feel like I ever understood what exactly happened with Kojima and Konami. There was tension building for a long time, and all the money spent on MGSV is what finally made Konami decide they had enough of Kojima?

Nah, it had nothing to do with money-spending. Kojima always worked within the constraints of his allocated budget. That was just some cockamamie theory that some anti-Kojima segment of gamers came up with to explain why Konami fired him because I guess every celebrity drinking buddy Kojima posted on his twitter triggered them.

The most likely reason is that a Konami cartel of executives no longer wanted to pursue gaming and would rather invest that money elsewhere and didn't like Kojima in particular because unlike all the other talent they forced out due to Japanese laws surrounding guaranteed employment without just termination, Kojima was not so easy to lose.

When the Presidency changed hands over at Konami, they did a complete 180 on any long term console gaming plans which included FOX development and the opening of the LA branch and likely were forcing Kojima to alter his game to a more mobile transactionable episodic delivery model, and if he didn't want to play ball, then to fuck off and take his name brand with him.

Kojima hung in there. Finally some unknown last straw broke the camel's back during the final stages of MGSV's development, and Kojima likely lost it and got up from his seat, lunged across the table and grabbed Takuya Kozuki's tie going like, "Yaroooo...!" Then Takuya's bodyguard pulls out his gun and aims it at Kojima's head. Then Shinkawa appears behind him and grabs him and puts his sharp inking pen to his neck. And soon every motherfucker has his gun or katana drawn and pointing at every other motherfucker in the board room, when chairman Kagemasa Kozuki rises from his seat like "YAMERU!" And everybody's just frozen in place in pin drop silence while an empty Ramune bottle rolls across the floor.

Then Kojima is locked in his office and made to finish the game under the supervision of two suited henchmen warned that they expect his retirement letter on their desk within a month. An intercom system squeaks on within the brightly lit halls of Tokyo's Konami HQ as wide eyed young Japanese staffers look up one by one from their desks staring at the speaker as Takuya roughly informs them that they are expected to work overtime; that lunch breaks will be shortened; that they are again expected to change all their e-mail addresses and log-ins. Then a cheerful woman's voice follows telling them to look forward to the individual motivational programs they'll be rolling out to assess employee satisfaction over the coming months. Then the security camera hoverbot slowly pulls away whilst zooming out from their despirited faces as some enka song begins to play. Fade to black...
06-17-2017, 10:24 AM
I read from an anonymous source, that Konami wanted to cease AAA development and focus on the mobile and pachinko market, since it was much cheaper and brought more profits. So they were gradually bullying out their game designers.
Add to that, that Kojima had a lot of cancelled projects in the past console generation (Metal Gear Solid: Rising, ZOE3, Silent Hills) and the long developement cycle of MGSV (which included development of the FOX Engine, which was supposed to be used for many upcoming Triple A projects, but wasn't needed, since Konami didn't want Triple A anymore, and thus a waste of time and money to Konami executives) and you can see why Konami wanted to let him go. Also, I heard of a rumour about P.T. being made without the approval of Konami executives; meaning, Kojima apparently created a demo for and announced a new Silent Hill game without checking with his bosses.... but that seems a little far fetched tbh.

Let's just hope Kojima Productions will do a lot of cool stuff over the next decade or so. Maybe akin to early Platinum Games.
06-17-2017, 04:03 PM
Welcome to last fucking year.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
06-17-2017, 06:19 PM
Metal Gear Solid: Rising wasn't cancelled, the game was released a few years ago as Metal Gear Rising: Revengence. And it sucked.
06-17-2017, 07:06 PM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2017 07:06 PM by jdnation.)
FOX Engine began development after MGS4.

Metal Gear RISING was to be the first game released using it.

Pro Evolution Soccer was also using some of its tech.

The engine was also being made to support Konami's mobile development so it scaled form high end PC to console to handheld mobile.

RISING was Shigenobu Matsuyama's project. At the time Kojima other than supervising FOX was working on Peace Walker.

Matsuyama and co wanted to cut everything, like literally everything, at will and obvously ran into problems. Kojima finished and shipped Peace Walker then came back and was like WTF are you doing? and that's the last we saw of Matsuyama after trotting him out on Microsoft's stage.

Kojima handed the project over to Platinum Games to do whatever they wanted reusing RISING's assets.

Deveolpment on FOX continued with MGSV.

PT was obviously known to Konami because Kojima showed them a realtime demonstration of PT long before PT was out in order to begin development. Kojima showed off this video at TGS following PT's release at Sony's Gamescom event.

The president of Konami also actually asked Kojima to take over Silent Hill after Silent Hill Downpour, and to use FOX to do it and this was sometime after Ground Zeroes was unveiled for the first time at the Anniversary event.

Konami did indeed want to shift more to Mobile and Pachislot. In fact an entire presentation was done by one of the guys at Konami where they predicted consoles declining (this was a little after PS4's release and before it became subsequent success), and they predicted that VR was not going to go anywhere. And it was rumored at the time that the Japanese government would lift restrictions on gambling, but this never occurred. Konami also opened a major division in Las Vegas precisely to service the gambling industry.
06-17-2017, 10:06 PM
What's really weird is that Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain have what seems to be commentary on Konami and what ended up happening to Kojima. Deja Vu and Jamais Vu have an extra part where you erase Kojima Metal Gear game logos, and looking at The Phantom Pain, I just can't help but wonder if the whole thing with Cipher spying on everyone, and eventually Miller giving his speech about how everyone in Diamond Dogs needs to spy on each other and report everything they hear, because anyone could be a spy is all meant to represent what Konami became, since from what I've read, Konami ended up spying on their employees and turning the place into a hell hole. I also can't help but wonder if Skull Face is meant to be Konami CEO Hideki Hayakawa. I also wonder if those parasites are supposed to be some sort of a metaphor for stupid mobile games and such, parasites on the gaming industry. I do think that the parasites were just a lazy plot device, but I wonder if they were also meant to represent something.
06-18-2017, 06:34 AM
(06-17-2017 06:19 PM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  Metal Gear Solid: Rising wasn't cancelled, the game was released a few years ago as Metal Gear Rising: Revengence. And it sucked.

It kind of was. His team wasn't able to come up with a game plan and he cancelled it and outsourced it to Platinum Games, who used the basic idea, but ultimately did something completely different with it. E.g. no real stealth, their own engine, a story set after MGS4 instead of between MGS2 and MGS4. They carried over some designs and the basic concept, but make no mistake, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is a completely different game from Metal Gear Solid: Rising.

Also, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. But that's taste for you.
06-18-2017, 08:28 AM
Maybe saying it sucked was a bit much, but I can't say it was anything more than mediocre.
06-18-2017, 09:43 AM
It is highly likely that Kojima was filling MGSV and GZ with cryptic references to what was occurring within Konami. Kojima was also looking out for his staff. This meta commentary isn't new, even MGS4 had vieled references to the game industry, console wars and multiplayer deathmatches.

Kojima in interviews before MGS GZ was announced also talked about taboo projects that could end his career in making games. We thought it had to do with racism and child soldiers, but it could have been his frustration with his own employers.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)