Metal Gear Solid V Phantom Pain: Spoiler Discussion
08-31-2015, 12:59 PM
Metal Gear Solid V Phantom Pain: Spoiler Discussion
Ok, let's start sharing impressions, compliments, complaints, the works...
  • The bald doc is an idiot. You don't tell a patient "well, I am gonna tell you something but I don't want you to panic", because you just get what happens, the patient panics!
  • The doc also says "you have a lot of metal in the body so we couldn't get you through an MRI...", well, first time an MRI prototype was used was in 1977, back in the 80s MRIs were as rare as UFOs and I doubt there was even a CT scan in Ciprus back then... but I get it, the point is that Snake has metal debris, which anyone can see in an X-ray.
  • When XOF is executing inmates, seems they are shooting blood bags. Too much blood splatters up like in a Tarantino film, a ridiculous exaggeration. No, don't try it on yourself please...
  • When Snake picks up flowers or stuff... they seem to go up in the air like a quick fart and lo! they arrive at Motherbase! Talk about some suspension of disbelief...
  • They took years to build this game so it takes... weeks or months or years to finish it. Lots and lots and lots of missions... and not all of them seem to be advancing the story. Even less the side ops. Like "Go rescue the missing sheep". But yes, I am the inpatient type.
  • Snake was 9 years in a coma, and so he wakes up. Up to the point I played it could have been 5 years or 5 months. The "9 years" period does not seem to be relevant to the plot other than "Cypher got bigger", I thought there would be some ominous consequence of Big Boss lying flat for 9 years... so far there ain't.
  • And yeah, I listened to some tapes, boy, they ARE boring. I can even imagine the actors getting bored when recording them. But it seems they get paid for that as well.
  • The skulls... ah the skulls, what can we say about them? Better get to a decent boss fight quick or I am gonna be playing something else.
  • I was a fan of Red Dead Redemption, so my pleasure really to see a bearded guy galloping through a desert.
  • Not bothering right now with "weapon development". I cant read all the text on that screen, and in "easy" mode or whatever the game allows you to play in the first run, Big Boss can CQC groups of people in a row like an Olympic Judo Champion with enemy soldiers standing at 50 meters not really seeing what's going on.
  • Just as in GZ, playing with the slow motion alert when you are spotted makes it terribly easy... I would advise to disconnect this if you want to see action and get some sense of thrill. Which clearly I am lacking right now at this stage of da game.
Ok, those are my semi inspired impressions for now... I am not terribly awed by the game gotta say, but those who enjoyed "managing Mother Base" are guaranteed to get a blast.
09-01-2015, 06:10 AM
RE: Metal Gear Solid V Phantom Pain: Spoiler Discussion
Oh, I forgot to mention what to me seems a disconnect in the launching campaign in that a big element is spoiled in the last trailer. The big hand that holds Snake upside down in the trailer, that was spoiled in a later launch trailer where we see the new Metal Gear morphing into a humanoid robot... yeah, its the robot's hand as far as I can tell.
Thing is in the game... you are not supposed to know. When the gigantic hand grabs Snake it happens as a fairly supernatural event. The hands appears out of mist, with the Mantis boy floating by suggesting psychokinesis of rocks which took the shape of a hand. It is a pretty good effect and film sequence.
But thanks to that launch trailer... I already knew it was the Metal Gear robot's hand, no paranormal stuff going on, maybe -talk about some in-trailer spoiler. It reminded me of the game Colossus as you get an idea of a gigantic shape, and Kaz even comments about the size of the thing that grabbed Snake.
Curious also that the villain didn't command the robot to squash Snake but left him at the mercy of the Skulls... Skull Face does not seem to be bent on killing Snake.
09-03-2015, 04:18 AM
All right, after a few hours of play I forgot about some of the goofiness and the gross incongruences and the game had me!
For a few more hours at least, but it sucks you in once you develop a taste for it and really don't care how many ruskies you shoot from your horse...
Or maybe is it you just want the story to move?
Question to you all little boys: those who found, uhm, Paz... what the glory f*** did you make of that scene???
09-03-2015, 02:12 PM
The scene at MB after you capture Eli and return with him... That's why Kiefer was cast as BigBoss!.

Also the missions are starting to become a bit repetitive now for my liking it's literately 'client' wants you to Kill/Capture target fuck it we'll do it cause we need to raise DD's rep and get us some quality GMP... could have something to do with Cypher but probably not. Land you're chopper kill the target hop back in before the day is over. Rinse & Repeat
09-04-2015, 05:29 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2015 05:30 AM by PoisonSnake.)
(09-03-2015 02:12 PM)beanxt Wrote:  The scene at MB after you capture Eli and return with him... That's why Kiefer was cast as BigBoss!.

Also the missions are starting to become a bit repetitive now for my liking it's literately 'client' wants you to Kill/Capture target fuck it we'll do it cause we need to raise DD's rep and get us some quality GMP... could have something to do with Cypher but probably not. Land you're chopper kill the target hop back in before the day is over. Rinse & Repeat
Yeah, totally agreed, I kinda stalled, I am going slow now... (yawn)
When is it that you meet and capture Eli?

And what do you think of PAZ?
Editorial interference, that's what I think. "Hey you dumbfuck! You shouldn't have got her killed! Bring her back!"
Or perhaps (which would make all this more interesting) Kaz and Ocelot manipulating Big "Boss".
Certainly calling this guy Big Boss is the greatest irony in the game.
Big Puppet you would say fits him better...
09-04-2015, 07:54 AM
So i just rescued code talker..... So far this story isn't all for 'revenge'.... It isn't revenge at all. My head hurts more then when i was finished with MGS2
09-04-2015, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2015 08:11 AM by PoisonSnake.)
Early in the game Snake tells Kaz he is not too enthusiastic about revenge... that this is about the future, so the one pushing the "revenge" agenda would be Kaz, and the Konami marketing campaign for MGSV
But if it is not about revenge, then what is it about? Building a nation for soldiers without politicians? Disrupting the international trade of child soldiering?
Collecting flowers in Afghanistan?

I turned off yesterday before finishing the boss fight with Quiet, I want to replay it today... and as my horse was killed with a supply I requested I wonder if I can drop one on her.
Anyway, question: can this "chapter" or boss fight with Quiet be skipped and can you go back to it? and if you skip it, do you get another boss fight with her?
09-04-2015, 12:42 PM
(09-04-2015 07:57 AM)PoisonSnake Wrote:  Early in the game Snake tells Kaz he is not too enthusiastic about revenge... that this is about the future, so the one pushing the "revenge" agenda would be Kaz...

So what you're saying is that Kojima...doesn't like Snake's Revenge? Tee hee!

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
09-04-2015, 01:12 PM
Finished the game today and look at that, I was right. Fuck you YongYea

(06-15-2014 09:57 AM)Solidsuitlarry Wrote:  But Metal Gear doesn't seem to be about subtlety anymore, its all vag-bombs and demon horns now.

Metal Gear... Has changed...

PSN ID : BigBoss_FoxUnit
XBL : F0X Big Boss
09-04-2015, 02:51 PM
At the start of the game you must input your name and birthdate.

Your name is written on the back of the photograph the doctor hands to Venom Snake in the hospital scene in mission 46 ("Truth: The Man Who Sold the World"). "XXX you know what to do ! Vic Boss !!! "

Your birthdate will be used for the fake ID-papers Ocelot hands Ishmael / real Big Boss after the car crash.
09-04-2015, 03:03 PM
The Neogaf spoiler thread is a fucking shitfest over the ending. I've seen so many people saying how shitty the story is and that the ending is a cop-out and that MGS4 had the best story in the series. I'm pretty sure they're being serious about MGS4, which is just hilarious.

More concerning is the fact that so many "hardcore" fans of the series were completely blindsided by the twist. It's been pretty evident ever since they first started showing the game that Venom isn't Big Boss.

---
Broken bones require different treatment than an infection does
---
PSN ID: DeadByDagger
Gamertag: xDeadByDaggerx
09-04-2015, 03:05 PM
Yeah I loved that. I put my full name in there, so for it to come up "Good luck *me* - 'Vic Boss' " Was such an awesome little touch. Kojima letting us know that MGS2 is still his favourite

(06-15-2014 09:57 AM)Solidsuitlarry Wrote:  But Metal Gear doesn't seem to be about subtlety anymore, its all vag-bombs and demon horns now.

Metal Gear... Has changed...

PSN ID : BigBoss_FoxUnit
XBL : F0X Big Boss
09-04-2015, 03:28 PM
On another note. Does the ending retcon Metal Gear 1's location by implying that it takes place on the Seychelles-Mother-Base ?

Because the b-side of the cassette reads "Operation Intrude N313" and when Venom smashes the mirror, you can see that his horn has fully grown, indicating that a lot of time has passed. And of course there's the MSX and the blue light.

Then again, the scene might be metaphorical, given that Venom walks "into" the smashed mirror at the end.
09-04-2015, 03:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2015 04:33 PM by hellrasinbrasin.)
...Who else has figured out that the entire game is a flashback within a flashback .
Does anyone have any Memento gifs "Don't Believe his Lies"
09-04-2015, 04:11 PM
(09-04-2015 03:28 PM)nuhr Wrote:  On another note. Does the ending retcon Metal Gear 1's location by implying that it takes place on the Seychelles-Mother-Base ?
I assumed the scene took place at the actual Outer Heaven, not Diamond Dogs Mother Base, but who knows. If it's 1995 Outer Heavem, then it raises even bigger questions. Like how did Solid Snake not figure out he killed a body double? He was trained by a gray haired Big Boss, but kills a brown haired Big Boss with a fucking horn and prosthetic arm.

---
Broken bones require different treatment than an infection does
---
PSN ID: DeadByDagger
Gamertag: xDeadByDaggerx

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)