MGSV: Definitivistence
10-17-2016, 07:57 PM
RE: MGSV: Definitivistence
Still deciding on it. I don't need a second English copy, but like I said, I very well may buy it in Japanese.
11-10-2016, 12:09 PM
(10-17-2016 07:57 PM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  Still deciding on it. I don't need a second English copy, but like I said, I very well may buy it in Japanese.

Japanese version now available!
http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=28543

[Image: MGSV-The-Definitive-Experience-Box-Japan-818x1024.jpg]
11-10-2016, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2016 12:35 PM by DarthCaligula.)
That's the cover? They just shoved a bunch of pictures into Venom Snake's head? That's actually worse than just having his face from the side.

Seriously, the more I look at it, the more it looks like some teen with Photoshop testing out how it works. Yeah, let's just throw a picture of every character, some vehicles, and Metal Gear in there, good enough!
11-10-2016, 02:45 PM
At least it doesn't have an "IGN" watermark.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
11-19-2016, 04:09 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2016 04:11 PM by SexyKaz.)
Just got this.

Did the PS4 version seriously have this super-fucked focus-to-distance perception where Snake gets blurred to shit every time camera gets too close? I don't remember PS3 version having this shit.

Also, never realized this before, but for a burn victim Skullface has his ears in pretty decent shape.

And since we're on the subject on dissin' this game: I seriously fucking hate 'Sins of our Father' from the depths of my very heart and soul. I'd rather take the cold and unlistenable fist of 'Calling to the Night' in to my rear at any given moment than listen to that song.

I fucking hate Skullface. He should be glad his mother is dead and not witnessing what kind of a shitty dissapointment he turned out to be.
11-19-2016, 04:28 PM
100% correct. I think I'm warming up to you.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

11-19-2016, 06:50 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2016 06:53 PM by DarthCaligula.)
Skull Face had potential. Finding those tapes in Ground Zeroes seemed to be building up to this weird creepy guy, but then we don't really get a payoff in The Phantom Pain. I also warmed up to his English voice after listening to the tapes, but I still just can't help but wonder how he would have come across if he was voiced by Neil Ross in his Malek of the Sarafan voice. I seem to remember that his Japanese voice sounded pretty creepy.
The real song of TPP was "A Phantom Pain". I quite liked that song. After finding out the truth about Venom Snake, I think it also does a pretty good job representing the hell this guy is going through. I know you're all going to insult me for saying this, but I don't care. Sue me.

Also, I have the PS4 version of TPP, but I'm not sure what you're talking about with the focus. I seem to remember always thinking everything looked good. Maybe it was something that changed? I guess it's tradition, considering the idiotic changes made to MGS2 and MGS3 in the Legacy collection.

And I dare you to say one good thing about The Phantom Pain, Canucklehead. You can't fool me, I know there was SOMETHING you genuinely enjoyed about that game.
11-19-2016, 07:04 PM
I really liked it at first. The initial mission to rescue Miller was great; no back up or support, just intel gathering before the rescue itself.

Once the game started being less about fending for yourself while outwitting and evading the enemy and turned into "build fuck-crazy weaponry and fulton everything in sight," it just wasn't engaging whatsoever.

If they'd completely left out Mother Base entirely and you had to actually gather and maintain all of your equipment and travel on foot or with stolen vehicles everywhere rather than being able to call a chopper and resupply between every mission, it would have been better. Because seriously, that first time you play and start hunting down Kaz, the game was fucking awesome. Gradually, it got shittier and shittier the more you unlocked stuff.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

11-19-2016, 07:44 PM
I really agree. While it's obvious that the intent was to make you feel like you're in charge of your own army, the fact that you can fulton extract everything or call in supply drops ruins any real feeling of danger and desperation. What was so great about Ground Zeroes, and utterly missing from The Phantom Pain was that sense of danger and desperation, like when you reach Paz, and are alone in the heart of the enemy base, with a defenseless target that you need to get out. I think that they should have kept that style in the game, where as you go to places, you have to really think about your strategy. Fulton extracting your targets just gets too easy as it goes on, and it really diminishes the difficulty.
11-21-2016, 11:46 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2016 11:48 AM by SexyKaz.)
Skulface could've been the best possible villain. His plan to finally separate Big Boss from Zero is actually one of the great points of the game. However, everything he does and says in Phantom Pain's cutscenes fucking cringes my ears of. His dialogue is fucking agonizing.

Quote:Also, I have the PS4 version of TPP, but I'm not sure what you're talking about with the focus. I seem to remember always thinking everything looked good. Maybe it was something that changed? I guess it's tradition, considering the idiotic changes made to MGS2 and MGS3 in the Legacy collection.
When you zoom in with R3 or you move the camera too close to Snake he is suddenly blurred in to a fucking mess. It's a cinematic depth of field trick but when it blurs Snake in a fucking ZAP it looks like a cheap gimmick and fugly.

Like, how am I supposed to zoom in on Silent Crocodile's tits in her Boss uniform like this??!?

Speaking of, is Silent Crocodile seriously one of the two black women you ever encounter in the game?
11-29-2016, 01:20 AM
(11-19-2016 07:04 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  Because seriously, that first time you play and start hunting down Kaz, the game was fucking awesome. Gradually, it got shittier and shittier the more you unlocked stuff.

No it just became more and more obvious how empty and unfinished the game is

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
11-29-2016, 04:17 AM
I've had fun playing unfinished games before though. Phantom Pain's problem isn't that it was released too quickly; it's main problems are at the core design. Even if they'd made a complete lively world full of children riding nuclear stilts, it wouldn't change the fact that the main focus is to sit with a thumb up your ass for three days until you finish building a new Lvl 9 vibrating ass plug that instantly renders all enemies within a square mile orgasmically non-combative so you can race about attaching weather balloons to their asses before strolling up to whatever objective any previous game would have actually made you sneak to.

If MGS4's problem was that it was actually harder to sneak than to shoot your way through, Phantom Pain's problem is that you're not even supposed to sneak until you're infiltrating some cunt's FOB so you can steal all of his lunch money in order to fund the Lvl 10 vibrating ass plug.

They made a shit sandwich and only had one slice of bread; it still would have tasted like shit even with two.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

11-29-2016, 07:05 AM
Biggest problem with the recent metal gears is that they even reward the player with this kind of approach. Sneaking without being seen or engaging ib combat is pointless since that way you dont get any dudes (and its only dudes since apparentely only women in warzones are prisoners or quiet lol see what i did there)
11-29-2016, 06:16 PM
Ground Zeroes did it right. Sneaking was preferable because not only was it easier to infiltrate the base, but checkpoints didn't trigger often during Alert phases if at all. That fucking shit Tranq gun was still there, but Hard mode fixed that.

The more I think about it, I think Ground Zeroes was the best Metal Gear since MGS1 & 3.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

11-30-2016, 04:47 PM
Of course you like unfinished games, Canucklehead, you're a Legacy of Kain fan after all! Oh, what we LoK fans have had to deal with...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)