Kiefer Sutherland is the Best Replacement Snake
09-24-2013, 08:44 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2014 09:48 AM by hellrasinbrasin.)
Kiefer Sutherland is the Best Replacement Snake
09-24-2013, 09:30 PM

Kiefer's voice sounds bland compared to his voice in the Phantom Pain trailer... I really hope they improve on that before launching GZ.

What does everyone else think?
09-24-2013, 09:37 PM

bchero Wrote:Kiefer's voice sounds bland compared to his voice in the Phantom Pain trailer... I really hope they improve on that before launching GZ.

I know which region edition of MGS5 I'm buying. :lol:
09-24-2013, 09:53 PM

hellrasinbrasin Wrote:
bchero Wrote:Kiefer's voice sounds bland compared to his voice in the Phantom Pain trailer... I really hope they improve on that before launching GZ.

I know which region edition of MGS5 I'm buying. :lol:

When I first saw the Japanese trailer I'm not going to lie when I say I thought Big Boss's japanese voice was how I imagined Boss to sound like. Kiefer just sounds odd...I've been rewatching the trailer and I've noticed just how boring both Kaz and Big Boss sound. Did both the voice actors forget how to voice act like before?
09-24-2013, 10:22 PM

Kaz sounded fine to me. Calm, but focused. Sutherland's Big Boss is astonishingly phoned in. He sounds bored, disinterested. And Skull Face... this has to be a joke, right? Right?
09-24-2013, 11:17 PM

David Hayter have been retconned out of MGS. It's Kiefer's show now.

And this was clearly because Hideo Kojima wanted high quality actors who could do well under facial motion capture. That's why every voice actor from Peace Walker is back except David Hayter.

Let your brain work that out playing PW and GZ back-to-back knowing Snake is the only one recast from the lot.
09-25-2013, 01:00 AM

Seems like I'm going to be the only one here, who actually enjoyed his performance then...
09-25-2013, 01:41 AM

It wasn't bad, but any fan coming into this game after fifteen years of Hayter will be irked by some degree. Your brain is just wired to resonate Snake with how Hayter performed him.

Seeing that every other PW actor is there except David will make the entire segment jarring. Just hearing Snake sound as Kiefer while you do CQC, interrogating, etc. will feel odd. Now try to imagine Kiefer Snake interacting with Paz, Chico and Huey after playing Peace Walker?

Unless this is your first MGS your brain will be wired to note each and every difference with how Kiefer will play the part. And it's not his fault. Kojima approached him and he's coming into this series playing the character his way rather than attempting to voice match the original actor. No matter how good the game could be or how good of a performance Kiefer gives, the character will not feel like the Snake players knew.

It's not as though Snake is being molded into Big Boss to be completely different by the ending. Snake in Ground Zeroes is pretty much the Snake from Peace Walker before he goes into his post-coma demonic self. And even then Kiefer's voice will resonate as being a completely different character than who we once knew.

Case in point: "Kept you waiting huh?" is a famous Snake line. But when people hear Kiefer say it they aren't thinking Snake. They're reflecting back to how Hayter would say it by default.

I think after a few more games Kiefer might be welcomed overtime as a definitive Snake for some, but the question will be if he'll even stay involved with MGS after this game. He is a high profile actor and is actively in film and television so hiring him can't be cheap which would explain why Snake would say a lot less in this game. The problem is Kojima didn't really account for how iconic and well liked Hayter's performance was, so his decision seemed based from a business standpoint of captivating gamers by having a Hollywood actor as his lead character. It's kind of backfired and lead people into hating on Kiefer. Seeing his performance as bland in comparison to Hayter's.

If Kojima couldn't really get behind having his actor do motion capture and voice all in one like he intended then he probably should have kept Hayter on with the rest of the Peace Walker cast. Because if Kiefer is the only big name stand out in this game, and he's replacing the iconic voice that gamers grew with then it's going to diminish the enjoyment of the game for those fans. And it can't really be helped. I like Kiefer a lot and think he'll be great as Snake, but he won't register as the right person for the role in this game as he acts with the rest of the previous cast. It's worse knowing that Hayter was always willing and open to play the part.
09-25-2013, 09:08 AM

HOLY SHIT! THAT WAS FUCKING TERRIBLE!

Skullface - Totally phoned in. This is supposed to be a super villainous James-bondy character and he's supposed to look and sound menacing. Like a veteran too old for this shit who's seen it all. He just sounds like some young recruit given his very first serious op. Chico in Peace Walker could sound more menacing than him! Skullface's English VA totally fucking sucks. Did they have any direction or even the footage in front of them to know the context or was he just reading from a script?

Keifer - Totally fucking sucks. I doubt it's his fault. He doesn't know the character. Big Boss has a sense of humor to him. Lines like "I like to get a little action every now and then" is supposed to be said in a jokey playful manner. Lines like "kept you waiting huh?" are supposed to be played up with a fun note strictly for fan service! David Hayter would get this. Keifer obviously does not and was never directed to do so.

FUCK THIS SHIT! I was cautiously optimistic, but this is terrible so much. Please Kojima give us the option for Japanese VA with English subs!
09-25-2013, 09:12 AM

Game needs a better VA director. Only RAD makes a noteworthy performance while the rest lands on the bleh side. Kiefer sounds like he's reading off a script for the first time, learning the lines. The voice itself isn't jarring, and I was more than open to the idea replacing Hayter. But I'm hoping the rest of the game is much better coz his conversation with Kaz was awfully bland. His delivery of "kept you waiting" wasn't bad, just different in that it's taken more seriously rather than being humorous.

I'd still prefer Richard Doyle to be the replacement.
09-25-2013, 09:28 AM

Neo Heaven Wrote:I'd still prefer Richard Doyle to be the replacement.

This this is what they should have done had Doyle do Big Boss's voice for MGS5 .

:evil:
09-25-2013, 01:53 PM

Everyone is phoning it in. Awful.

Suck my fat one you cheap dime store hood
09-25-2013, 03:21 PM

Smiley Wrote:...so his decision seemed based from a business standpoint of captivating gamers by having a Hollywood actor as his lead character.
the hell are you talking about? everyone knows Tara Strong is the ultra-famous talking purple horny-pony
[Image: solid_sparkle_is_found_by_empty_10-d4sg89d.png]

still i can't still get over the fact that they trew away Hayter and replaced him with an actor that seems to be bored to death, reading his lines while waiting for his paycheck... I could have responded (and most people too) more positive if they put Hayter on GZ chapter 1st then change himt to his new "punished snake" persona... Ground Zeroes is supposed to be a transition from "post-2006 MGS" to the new post-201x games... as always maybe if lots of people begin to importthis game from japan we might send a message but i everyone will be lining up on gamestop or something...

[Image: banner.jpg]
09-25-2013, 04:26 PM

Now that I've listened to both, I have to say that while the voices of Big Boss and Miller are all right in English, Otsuka sounds much more badass and like what I'd expect Big Boss to sound like. What the hell's with Skull Face though? His Japanese voice sounds really cool, but it just sounds off in English. And I actually watched the English one first, so I'm not just going with the first voices I heard or whatever.
Hey, maybe it is all another wacky Kojima hijink and Hayter's New Coke comment will come true with the public outrage bringing back the classic.
09-25-2013, 04:44 PM

Bruce Willis should make a better replacement instead of Kiefer.

I jerk off to a zombie "teen" from a video game. But I don't think I'm a necrophiliac pedophile...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)