In Defence of Metal Gear Solid 4
07-31-2017, 08:51 AM
In Defence of Metal Gear Solid 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHcBWQZ90SA

While the guy makes a few good points I have little understanding for the idea that there's this much redeeming shit in this game to make it a good conclusion for the series.

Even if we cancel out the heavy cutscene/gameplay-ratio cause it's MGS it still unbearable to watch at times cause of the heavy exposition and the cutscenes where absolutely nothing happens. The gameplay, while improved from the previous titles, is still clunky and at times just as out of place as Old Snake is from the new age of battle (to be fair, there's very little of said gameplay). The story while might have a nice ending (not THE ending) is ruined by unuderlined jokes, stupid easter eggs and whattefuckhowthehellisjohnnyagoodcharacter.

Though there's a lot of good stuff in the game. I must agree it's a really beautiful game in almost every aspect. There's a lot of effort made to make everything look real and professional. Also, even though I wished they explored this more I think the setting of the plot is great.

One thing MGS4 did better than any other game I've seen is how they really play with the emotions of the player. The scenes like the real ending and end of act 4 are dumb and sometimes even unnecessary but they really load it with emotion. They're not smart scenes or smartly written, but they still take us back to the feels of the previous games.Which is evident in the reaction in this video.

Though if MGS4 is the first game you played you'd have no idea what the fuck is going on.

It's also weird that there's really no mention of nanomachines in this video.
07-31-2017, 01:40 PM
RE: In Defence of Metal Gear Solid 4
It's the game Kojima was forced to make. As people point out in the cooking commercial where Kojima is watching his snakes get cut up into hash.

Kojima is tired just like Old Snake. Everyone is depressed and screwed.

This is intentionally played out in the game and its excesses. It is in a way precisely the commercial product fan wank nostalgia-dump that anti-MGS2 'fans' wanted.

In the end, Kojima was even talked out of the ending he initially wanted to do.

Don't get me wrong, I still liked the game and enjoyed the hell out of it. But it's my least favourite.
07-31-2017, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2017 01:50 PM by Canucklehead.)
MGS4 was trash because the gameplay was pure garbage, and it only got worse from there.

Well, maybe the gameplay mechanics themselves; they were pretty decent. But the way they were implemented into such a craptastic "stealth' game is what sucked. The game worked better as a sci-fi shooter.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
07-31-2017, 03:53 PM
The first two acts had fun gameplay, and so did half of the fifth act. Acts 3 and 4 are designed to bore and frustrate the player. I don't need to watch the video to know this guy is wrong if he says it's a good game. Anything good about the game is vastly bogged down by everything else, which was terrible. I played it again fairly recently so I know what I'm talking about. I really don't ever want to play it again.
07-31-2017, 05:10 PM
1 & 2 were so God-fucking linear though, and all the "stealth" is merely crawling everywhere, slowly, so that your garbage auto-camouflage system keeps you hidden.

Act 3 was probably the most interesting and required the most effort on the player's part to stay hidden while still reaching the goal, on thw first run in any case. Up until it devilves into the mandatory vehicle rail-shooter section (the second one in this craptastic game) anyway.

Act 4 should have been great but it wasn't because of the awful Dwarf things, though the Vamp fight was decent enough albeit with not a single ounce of possible stealth.

Act 5 was trash too. Two minutes of "gameplay" followed by, I admit, a fairly decent boss fight, then pure garbage up until the end. And yeah, the Ocelot fight seemed awesome at first, but it was awful once the novelty of it all wears off and you realize how terrible the controls and fight mechanics are.

All that said, I accepted MGS4 for what it was right up until the final scene when Big Boss shows up. That entire part absolutely ruined the whole game for me, and completely marginalized the entire series that had built up to that point. It was absolutely horrendous, and made for the worst finale to a series that I've ever experienced in any medium.

Fuck that game and every game that looks like it. I'd rather have gotten tht shitty pew-pew Splinter Cell Conviction piece of crap.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

07-31-2017, 07:18 PM
You could always try playing without crawling.
08-01-2017, 03:07 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2017 03:10 AM by SexyKaz.)
^Don't be silly. That's what Peace Walker is for.

I also think acts 1 & 2 had the best and atleast somewhat less linear gameplay than other acts. (Yeah, the first half of act 3 is a huge open city but you spend all the time stalking one fucking dude and the route he takes is pretty much the same every time.) However they suffer from the same problem that there's usually one or two routes to choose from. You could argue that even MGS2 & 3 were more unlinear at times. A good portion of act 1 is inside a ready to collapse building in which nothing happens. The end of act 2 is an interesting bit if it lasted more than 30 seconds and you'd get a chance of doing something else than running through the market place hoping you don't get slide-kicked to death by Geckou.

The act 5 starts promisingly enough with a sneaking section that is arguably the hardest in the series but everything after that is just a nostalgia roller coaster.

Seriously, who the fuck thinks making Akiba a major character was a good idea?? His character arc is like Jabbba's rat-monkey pet from Return of the Jedi having a romantic relationship with Leia in Last Jedi.
08-01-2017, 07:04 AM
(07-31-2017 07:18 PM)Repugnance Wrote:  You could always try playing without crawling.

I have. It's called "Shoot everyone in your way."

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)