I thought Rising would suck, but after playing the demo...
01-23-2013, 07:13 AM
I thought Rising would suck, but after playing the demo...
...oh God, it's even worse than I thought.

Let's start off with the good points.

-It's nice to see Havok being used to it's full potential. Last game I saw that did so was Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy, though I admit that it was used to a much greater degree in that than this, but this game is the only Hack & Slash I know of that lets you cut things in specific ways. Too bad you can only cut specific things, identified by that lame vision mode that helps you out if you get lost in the three square meters of playable area you get to traverse.

-Character models look great.

Okay, so that's that. Now the bad.

-Environment graphics are shit. They're bland, dull, lifeless...this is usually a trait of Japanese action games, with Winback 2 being one of the best examples. I won't drag this one on because in this day and age, even "bad" graphics are good.

-Fuck, are the controls ever stiff. You can get used to them, but Christ on a crutch, Raiden feels like a fucking NES character. And what's with the delay when you hit a button? And the Assassin's Creed button...I can already jump, wasn't that fucking enough? In addition to having a jump button, I also needed a "jump over obstacles" button too? Best of all, it barely works as a dodge button during combat, so what the fuck is the point?

-Combat system. Shallow as shit. Honestly, the Free Cutting mode thing is cool, and I haven't played a Hack & Slash game that lets you attack with the stick instead of simple buttons, but why did they have to fuck it up so much? Why can't I move while I'm using it? I can't even jump!? Why can't it be like MGS2 where I just push the stick in the direction I want to attack? Why do I have to first tilt in the opposite direction to wind up, and then in the direction I want to attack? What is this, a fucking Baseball game? Why do the camera controls reverse while I'm using it? If I can't move, and the R-Stick isn't for attacking in the normal gameplay, why can't L-Stick be for sword-control in free cutting mode? Why is the slashing so sluggish like the rest of the game?

Combos are really shallow. I thought Ninja Gaiden 3 was a lame button-masher, but this takes the cake. I think Castlevania: Lords of Shadow had a deeper combo system, and that wasn't even a fucking Hack & Slash game!

Why is block/parry on the attack button? Honestly, if you're not blind, you can play the whole demo level by mashing square and when an attack is coming your way, signified by a BIG FUCKING ORANGE GLOWING FLASHING THING, you just push forward on the stick and hold square instead of tap it. This game is the epitome of "button-masher."

Overall, I think my favourite part was where you "sneak" up behind the guy in that first big building, and I lined up a swipe across his neck to decapitate him, and all that happened was he took some damage and went into Alert mode, at which point I commenced to just hit square a bunch of times until he died. And on that note, what's with the targeting system? Raiden attacks the enemy if he feels like, and if he doesn't, he just swings through the air at nothing in some random direction while the enemy stands beside you throwing grenades or whatever. It's then that I realize there's an actual manual targeting system that I need to control with a button...what fucking era is this? The last Hack & Slash game I played that did that was Shinobi on the PS2, and before that, it was definitely a PS1 game.

Last point about the controls...remember when you get back outside and those two PMCs are gonna kill that civilian? I go up behind the one guy, center the camera on him, and hold the L1 button...now I'm aiming in the opposite direction. The Free Sword mode thing is based on where Raiden is looking and not the camera? What the fuck kind of horse balls is that!? These kinds of games ALWAYS use the camera to aim, not the direction of your character for one reason: changing the camera is more precise than moving your guy. So I mash square again and kill them, go into the Options menu to unfuck this game, and you CAN'T FUCKING FIX IT. This game is shit, and clearly was made by a bunch of guys who've never played a Hack & Slash game in their lives.

-Once you understand the game's bullshit, it's too fucking easy. The controls are shit, the gameplay is more simplistic than Ninja Gaiden 3, and the combat is very unsatisfying. If you've never played a competent Hack & Slash game before, then yeah, I see how you might enjoy it. It isn't absolutely terrible, but it definitely ranks low among the genre, with DMC2 and Ninja Gaiden 3. It's playable, but you really wouldn't want to if you're a fan of the genre, since you've already played much better games.

I haven't even mentioned the other shit that's wrong with this game, just stuff directly related to gameplay. Why the fuck is Raiden a cyborg 4 years after MGS4? Didn't he revert back to being a man at the end of that? Is this game ret-conning the fucking King of ret-cons? Why does the music suck so much ass? Who is this game for, 8 year old boys who'd think New Kids on the Block is awesome the first time they hear them? Why are Gekkos fought via QTE? And FUCK, I know Bosses have ALWAYS spoken during fights, but that stupid chainsaw-Wolf piece of shit was just so fucking annoying! What is this, Street Fighter!? You have to narrate EVERY FUCKING THING THAT HAPPENS!? FUCK YOU!!! At least it was a short fight - just parry his attacks for two seconds, forcing him against the wall, and a few seconds of mashing square keeps him pinned against it and he can't do anything. Within ten seconds, the troops will be summoned, another five after they die and you get the Gekko QTE fight, and then five more seconds and the fight is over and you get an A rank. Yay, I feel good about myself!

Honestly, the only thing that would make people want to play this is the Metal Gear title, and since we all already know that this game certainly isn't a Metal Gear game, that just leaves Raiden. And when Raiden controls like a piece of shit in a game as fucked up as this, why bother? I honestly think Ninja Gaiden 3 was better, and as much as I figured this game would suck, I gave it the benefit of the doubt and thought it'd be at LEAST better than that game. It's not, but it is playable, if you've never played these kinds of games before.

There you have it. Like it if you want, but it's a shit game as far as this genre's concerned. If you do like it, try Ninja Gaiden afterwards. Or Devil May Cry, and if you already like that, then try Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

This game...it kinda works, but not well. Do yourself a favor and just download the PS2 Classic Shinobi, and the first Ninja Gaiden Sigma from the PS Store. I guess this is "technically" better than the 3 Ninja missions in MGS1 VR Missions, but I think I enjoyed that more too, since it's controls were so simplistic and easy to use, but then it wasn't an actual Hack & Slash game like this is, so I guess this wins by default, though I think I still prefer that over this. It isn't terrible, but it's pretty close if you know these kinds of games, and if you do like this, I strongly urge you to try some of the better ones. You'll love them.

[Image: Sub-Zero.gif] [Image: sonicrunninggif1.gif] [Image: RyuRunningR.gif]
RAVI TRIED TO MOLEST US! RUN!!!

Overclockwise, the GIGANTIC fucking faggot, confirmed our suspicions when he Wrote:And if you ever dump your boyfriend, I'll take him.
01-23-2013, 09:22 AM

I was going to try the demo for this but I think I'm going to play VR missions again instead. Maybe pick up the DMC HD collection.

Benny Harvey, RIP
01-23-2013, 09:23 PM

Is it the same as the one that came with Zone of the Enders HD or is there something else in there?
01-24-2013, 05:33 AM

It's probably the old one. I hear that there's an old build and a new one, and if this isn't the old one...God fucking help this atrocity of a piece of shit.

Overclockwise, the GIGANTIC fucking faggot, confirmed our suspicions when he Wrote:And if you ever dump your boyfriend, I'll take him.
01-24-2013, 12:14 PM

I remember everyone saying how hard Shinobi was. I didn't think it was THAT hard when I played it. I mean, sure I died a lot, but I've played harder games in my life. That game was a lot of fun really.
Well, I wasn't planning on playing Revengence anyway, so now I'll be sure to really not try to play it.
01-24-2013, 12:41 PM

If you didn't know how to play, Shinobi was hard. If you did, it was tricky. Gameplay was solid though, smooth, lightning fast, and controls actually fucking worked, placing it above that train-wreck Rising.

01-24-2013, 01:09 PM

Yeah, once I got good at quickly going from one enemy to another to link them together and kill like crazy, it was quite fun. It's so cool when you can get it all right so that you kill a boss in only one or two hits. Man, now I kind of want to play again. I never did unlock the other characters....
01-24-2013, 02:09 PM

I liked Hotsuma the most, but Moritsune was more powerful at a cost of having his energy drain faster. And then there was Joe fucking Musashi, the original Shinobi character. How fucking cool is that?

01-24-2013, 02:57 PM

There are actually several useful combos:

triangle, square (forward spinning attack to fuck niggas up with)

triangle, triangle, square (badass slashing shit nobody gonna mess with)

triangle, triangle, triangle, square (i don't know man go read a book)

back, forward, square (goku nigga ass kung-fu blast to ruin yo day)

forward, forward, square (juggle niggas like a fuckin cyborg clown)

back, forward, triangle (useless half-breakdance spin you will never use intentionally)

forward, forward, triangle (cool-ass lunge that will close the gap between you and any nigga, nigga)

forward, left, back, right, triangle (the good full-ass breakdance spin from MGS4)

square+x (backwards swipe/dodge)

left/right+square+x (sideways swipe/dodge)

forward+square+x (half-ass useless forward lunge that'll get yo ass beat)

Suzaku Wrote:Hah. As if you'd enjoy a new Metal Gear game in the first place, you bitchy, impossible-to-please coprophiliac, you.
Pocket Abortions' Quality Blog for Children
01-24-2013, 03:14 PM

You wanna see an entire combo/move list for a SINGLE weapon in Ninja Gaiden? How about EVERY list for EVERY weapon?

Rising isn't necessarily a shit game overall, but it's certainly a shit Hack & Slash game. And that aside, who gives a fuck about how many combos there are if mashing square and occasionally parrying works just fine?

01-24-2013, 03:19 PM

Some fag Wrote:You wanna see an entire combo/move list for a SINGLE weapon in Ninja Gaiden? How about EVERY list for EVERY weapon?

Rising isn't necessarily a shit game overall, but it's certainly a shit Hack & Slash game. And that aside, who gives a fuck about how many combos there are if mashing square and occasionally parrying works just fine?

All the humanoid enemies can be killed in one hit but that's kind of the point; they're there as moving health pick-ups while you're fighting stronger enemies like Gekkos and other metal gear derivatives. Try taking on two gekkos and three RPG-using cyborgs on normal mode, and only use square and forward+square. Try it.

Suzaku Wrote:Hah. As if you'd enjoy a new Metal Gear game in the first place, you bitchy, impossible-to-please coprophiliac, you.
Pocket Abortions' Quality Blog for Children
01-24-2013, 05:33 PM

Gun Animal Wrote:Try taking on two gekkos and three RPG-using cyborgs on normal mode, and only use square and forward+square. Try it.

I did. I got an A grade!

Troops aren't worthy of being called enemies, and the Moo-Moo Cows are cannon fodder if you hit square over and over, jump or parry the kick, and chances are you'll then get the QTE that instantly kills them. Easy as pie.

Same deal with the Boss. Parry it's first few attacks, pushing it against the wall. Then repeated square just keeps it pinned there and it can't move until the back up is called. Then you just repeat the square-mashing and it dies...thank god. I wanted to mute the fucking the game. Between the supa-gay Justin Bieber shit music playing to the fucking Street Fighter narration it had to make...ugh, I'd rather listen to Rose tell me about a shopping trip at the shoe store.

It works as a game, but it's got some very piss-poor design choices, and the controls are out to lunch. If the controls made a little more sense and were more responsive, the game would feel a lot better to play. Especially when it comes to that free-cutting thing...what horrendous controls. Fuck, half of the issue would be solved if you could cut with L and continue to control the camera with R, but no, that's too fucking simple. Instead, they're gonna force you to switch sticks for no fucking reason, and when you enter it in the first place, who gives a fuck about where the camera is pointing? Raiden's gotta have his fucking eyes locked on whatever you want to cut. Can you fucking imagine how shitty a 3rd person shooting game would be if the aim mode was in relation to where your character faces instead of where the camera is? MGS4 has such an option. Go fucking turn it on and see how retarded it is. I think the ONLY time it's EVER useful is during the Bike Chase in Act 3.

Keep in mind too that I'm not criticizing shit for no reason, and I'm only talking gameplay here. And Rising, from a purely gameplay perspective, could easily be fixed with some minor adjustments and a little work on the depth of the combat system. But until that happens, it's at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to this genre. It's the SOCOM 4 of Hack & Slash games.

01-24-2013, 09:16 PM

Cool, but too short.

I jerk off to a zombie "teen" from a video game. But I don't think I'm a necrophiliac pedophile...
01-24-2013, 09:17 PM

Cool, but too short.

I jerk off to a zombie "teen" from a video game. But I don't think I'm a necrophiliac pedophile...
01-27-2013, 12:21 PM

It sounds like most of your complaining is centered around how easy the game is...

Hard and revengeance difficulty are locked out on the demo.

Also, Justin Bieber music? What are you smoking? It's cheese Metal.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)