Hideo Kojima explains MGSV's story
10-26-2015, 08:24 AM
Hideo Kojima explains MGSV's story
"A story is a thing without shape. Assuming physically nothing is there, nothing to be lost. As long as stories and legends are desired, they will continue forever. The brilliance will never vanish. It’s in everyone’s heart. It is not always true that saying “goodbye to a hero” ignites a phantom pain. By saying “goodbye to a hero”, you can for eternity leave behind lost joy as a blank space.

There is a blank space, but it will not be filled. In that blank space there is always a hero. Because there is a blank space, you can advance ahead. It is this blank space exactly that is “V”."
- Hideo Kojima

So there you have it... The Phantom Pain was blankety-blank-blank. A missing Link that is missing. A bag blowing in the wind. You write your own DLC.

Kojima talks about the MGS series in the MGSV The Phantom Pain Novel (Spoilers?)
https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/...n_and_the/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1129385
10-26-2015, 09:11 AM
RE: Hideo Kojima explains MGSV's story
It's our job to pass on this blank space to future generations.

Earlier I Wrote:You forgot about the reptilian shapeshifting raptor aliens, from the planet Nibiru, that live in deep underground bases, who are in cahoots with the Nazi ODESSA Fourth Reich, which is being secretly commanded by Hitler, Elvis, and Tupac Shakur, that have been enslaving us as a genetically designed alien/human hybrid race for thousands of years, by using the illuminati skull and bones freemason society, who built the pyramids with their flying saucers, and are living in the 6 thousand year old hollow earth, via an entrance in Antarctica, to construct a New World Order, which was outlined and enforced by the secret Bilderberg and Council on Foreign Relations groups, at Bohemian Grove, where they dance around naked and worship a devil owl, and developed their master draconian Agenda 21 plan to alter the weather via contrails and HAARP, and eventually depopulate the earth by killing billions of people in FEMA camps. They killed JFK, and Stanley Kubrick faked the moon landings at Area 51. .....also,...uhh,....Jimmy Hoffa...
10-26-2015, 09:14 AM
The 'V' in MGSV are two blanks pointing towards the future.

The future is downhill...
10-26-2015, 10:19 AM
So...is he saying that MGSV is an empty void?

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
10-26-2015, 01:17 PM
Okay, so why didn't he leave MGS as this blank space after 2?

Benny Harvey, RIP
10-26-2015, 01:33 PM
Because of us fuckers.
10-26-2015, 02:04 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2015 02:05 PM by jdnation.)
(10-26-2015 01:17 PM)sput Wrote:  Okay, so why didn't he leave MGS as this blank space after 2?

Because all those blank cheques needed to be filled.

The 'V' is really the same 'V' as in Visatm.

[Image: NE_Patriots_Visa_Sig_WEB.JPG]
10-26-2015, 02:32 PM
Or Vagina, because everyone who likes the direction the series took after MGS1 is a cunt.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

10-27-2015, 06:03 AM
But I like vaginas. What does that make me? :l
10-27-2015, 10:40 AM
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/1pt4uUa

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

10-27-2015, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2015 03:40 PM by JohnnySasaki20.)
To be honest, they weren't better than MGS1, but I thought MGS2 and MGS3 were pretty good. Sure, most of the bosses were retarded, but the story and gameplay were good, with certain exceptions. Raiden was a giant slap in the face, for example. Three quarters of the Cobra Unit were a joke, etc.

Imo, MGS4 is the game that not only sucked giant donkey balls, and ruined the future of the series, but it also fucked with the previous games as well. If you just pretend that MGS4 never existed, then most of the previous games go back to being awesome. PO is the exception to the rule.

Earlier I Wrote:You forgot about the reptilian shapeshifting raptor aliens, from the planet Nibiru, that live in deep underground bases, who are in cahoots with the Nazi ODESSA Fourth Reich, which is being secretly commanded by Hitler, Elvis, and Tupac Shakur, that have been enslaving us as a genetically designed alien/human hybrid race for thousands of years, by using the illuminati skull and bones freemason society, who built the pyramids with their flying saucers, and are living in the 6 thousand year old hollow earth, via an entrance in Antarctica, to construct a New World Order, which was outlined and enforced by the secret Bilderberg and Council on Foreign Relations groups, at Bohemian Grove, where they dance around naked and worship a devil owl, and developed their master draconian Agenda 21 plan to alter the weather via contrails and HAARP, and eventually depopulate the earth by killing billions of people in FEMA camps. They killed JFK, and Stanley Kubrick faked the moon landings at Area 51. .....also,...uhh,....Jimmy Hoffa...
10-27-2015, 04:27 PM
I thought the main downfall to the series that the change in tone. MG2 & MGS1 were so gritty, dark, and the supernatural/unrealistic elements weren't over-the-top and in-your-face.

Then MGS2 comes along and feels more like an anime-007. The music wasn't Metal Gear, the action was too plentiful, the environment didn't emit a sense of danger and urgency, and the characters weren't fleshed out or interesting other than Fatman.

Then there's the story and all the outrageous bullshit going on. In context, it was okay because none of it was supposed to be "real" per se, but then MGS3 took the exact same approach without the element of asking the player to question whether what they saw and heard was real or not. It just existed as it was. And I hate to say it, but as buggy and half-assed as Twon Snakes was, it at least still felt like Metal Gear to me, and I get that feeling very rarely in any game after MGS1. I can still play MG2 and get that same good feeling about it, so it's not just mad love for MGS1.

And particularily with the newer games, they've taken a sharp turn from stealth-focused to action. Before, you'd quickly make your way through the area while avoiding guards. Now, you shoot them all one by one, and pretend you're skilled if you use the Tranq Gun instead because dude, non-lethal!

Ground Zeroes, even though it was definitely more Splinter Cell than Metal Gear, did give me that old feel, so I have been somewhat looking forward to Phantom Pain, but I have a feeling it'll be drastically different, and I haven't expected anything but utter shit from the stories since MGS3.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

10-27-2015, 05:05 PM
(10-27-2015 04:27 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  I thought the main downfall to the series that the change in tone. MG2 & MGS1 were so gritty, dark, and the supernatural/unrealistic elements weren't over-the-top and in-your-face.

Then MGS2 comes along and feels more like an anime-007. The music wasn't Metal Gear, the action was too plentiful, the environment didn't emit a sense of danger and urgency, and the characters weren't fleshed out or interesting other than Fatman.

I think Ocelot/Liquid was the best character by far in MGS2. Vamp coming in a distant second (remember, this is imagining MGS4 never happened).

I liked the badass quintuple-crossing genius that Ocelot was in MGS2 (in MGS1, you only really get a hint of his mystique in the end credits phone call), and I liked the idea that he COULD actually be taken over by Liquid via his arm graft. Is is absolutely ridiculous? Of course it is. But it makes for a kick ass character.

Vamp's supernatural abilities were also quite mysterious, and lead you to believe, as MGS1 sort of did with Decoy Octopus and, more prominently, Psycho Mantis, that almost anything was possible in this game's universe. Making it all the more interesting, and keeping you locked in your seat, wondering what the hell was going to happen next.

The Patriots also added an even higher level of mystique to the series, and actually sort of brought the series more into reality (there are an almost uncountable number of conspiracy theories about illuminati like organizations that control the world), while at the same time keeping them just preposterous enough to keep them in la la land.

I'm a huge fan of the X-Files, and the Patriots were like the Kojima equivalent to The Syndicate. A shadow government/illuminati like organization that controls every facet of your life. The X-Files did it much better, but it still hit a soft spot for me.

My favorite character in the X-Files was The Cigarette Smoking Man, and in Metal Gear, the equivalent to The Smoking Man was Revolver Ocelot and the equivalent to the Syndicate was the Patriots.

10-27-2015, 05:38 PM
My issue with Ocelot is that he has a totally different allegience in every game, so it gets harder and harder to give a fuck a fuck about his character.

As for Vamp and Mantis, Mantis was at least explained and somewhat grounded in the realm of possibility. Vamp was just fucking there with no explanation, rhyme or reason. Before MGS2, anything in the series was still grounded in reality; MGS2 is the game that anything became possible.

I enjoyed all the double-crossing and shit, but MGS2's main issue is that on the whole, it's completely pointless and adds nothing to the series whatsoever. The Tanker establishes that there are Metal Gears all over the 3rd world...where the fuck was THAT game? Instead, that plot point is forgotten immediately after it's brought up, and the Plant begins. None of it is real, and thus none of it matters. All it adds in the grand scheme of things, then, is the existence of The Patriots, which means nothing at this point. To that effect, MGS2 is nothing more than a two-hour prologue to MGS4. It means literally nothing to the series outside of that. MGS4, shitty as it was, at least took the points left by MGS2 and developed them into an actual story, but MGS2 was void anything resembling a plot once the Tanker Chapter's gameplay actually began.

Ocelot was a decent character in MGS2, I agree, but they ruined him by constantly changing his motives and alligience in each subsequent game.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

10-27-2015, 06:49 PM
Doing no-tranq runs in the post-mgs1 games is pretty fun and tense. I'd recommend if their existence bothers you that much.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)