Hideo Kojima As Gaming's Auteur Deserves To Be Credited As Such
07-06-2015, 01:11 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 01:12 AM by Nike Schneider.)
Hideo Kojima As Gaming's Auteur Deserves To Be Credited As Such
Hey look its something I didn't write: http://thesnakesoup.org/editorial-articl...-credited/
07-06-2015, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 11:34 AM by Dr. Clark.)
RE: Hideo Kojima As Gaming's Auteur Deserves To Be Credited As Such
A nice piece but right now I don't care if the game has his rightful name on it or not.

First of all, from what we know, Kojima was a dick to Hayter by not even saying him anything! Hayter was just dumped in the nearly worst way possible! So to a point, Kojima is tasting a bit of his own medicine.

Secondly, while I understand that in Japan there's a lot of loyalty from employees to their companies and it's a shame to quit or be fired and while I can understand that sometimes we don't see the whole picture, Kojima isn't the first to be in this kind of situation. Koji Igarashi - the person responsible for Castlevania adopting the Metroid style - was buried in Konami's basement and left there to rot while the wheel was handed to David Cox, a guy that played well his role as a puppet by not once mentioning Iga's work and ignoring his games.
Iga, like Kojima, is the main guy when people talk about Castevania, with Michiru Yamane and Ayami Kojima being in the same role and status as Shinkawa and almost no one in the industry cared for him.
Also, Kojima held a high-ranking position inside Kojima so he was likely to knew how shitty things might be back then and what he did? He stayed. I remember Kojima saying that he was only allowed to develop the FOX Engine by saying that it was for MGS, because otherwise Konami wouldn't help when Kojima already had it planned to be used in other games. Was he not seeing how Konami was following Ubisoft's trail? Does he only care about making comparisons with GTA and forgets to look at other western games?

I'm just waiting for Kojima to announce "Platinum Mecha" on Kickstarter with Sony's backing while keeping the specifics of the deal in the shadows and asking for a billion dollars to make his ultimate game (spoiler: the ultimate strech-goal will be a japanese sex-doll - squishable all around)!

[Image: Zanzibarlandsymbol.jpg]
07-06-2015, 12:32 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 12:42 PM by Mintorment.)
(07-06-2015 11:30 AM)Dr. Clark Wrote:  First of all, from what we know, Kojima was a dick to Hayter by not even saying him anything! Hayter was just dumped in the nearly worst way possible! So to a point, Kojima is tasting a bit of his own medicine.

Why would Kojima say anything? He doesn't deal with the English cast.
07-06-2015, 03:01 PM
(07-06-2015 12:32 PM)Mintorment Wrote:  
(07-06-2015 11:30 AM)Dr. Clark Wrote:  First of all, from what we know, Kojima was a dick to Hayter by not even saying him anything! Hayter was just dumped in the nearly worst way possible! So to a point, Kojima is tasting a bit of his own medicine.

Why would Kojima say anything? He doesn't deal with the English cast.

Then what cast does Sutherland makes part of?
Kojima took an interest in the english voice actor so even if he only had interest in dealing with Sutherland, since he now does that, he could say something to Hayter!

07-07-2015, 10:32 AM
Why should he say anything to Hayter?

Even if you're the dark, evil Lord of the Underworld, you should always be yourself- Mickey Mouse
07-07-2015, 04:40 PM
Holy fuck, you people are retarded.

Loljima was fairly close to the English cast all things considered, and he's now fairly close to Kiefer. Hayter was continuously brought back because of his iconic voice, and even if Kojima didn't directly tell him that he was going to change the voice actor, he could have had the American PR guys do it for him, and he didn't. Hayter's performances were weak as of late, and he should never have voiced Big Boss in the first place, but it was still a huge dick move to not touch base with him, and all you dipshit pretentious retarded fucks who just need to be all above everything must have Mexican servants who wipe your asses and then have to wash their own dishes with your majestic shit-paper to be so fucking stupid to not realize how much of a dick Loljima was.

Fucking kids these days.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
07-08-2015, 03:15 AM
(07-07-2015 04:40 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  Holy fuck, you people are retarded.

Loljima was fairly close to the English cast all things considered, and he's now fairly close to Kiefer. Hayter was continuously brought back because of his iconic voice, and even if Kojima didn't directly tell him that he was going to change the voice actor, he could have had the American PR guys do it for him, and he didn't. Hayter's performances were weak as of late, and he should never have voiced Big Boss in the first place, but it was still a huge dick move to not touch base with him, and all you dipshit pretentious retarded fucks who just need to be all above everything must have Mexican servants who wipe your asses and then have to wash their own dishes with your majestic shit-paper to be so fucking stupid to not realize how much of a dick Loljima was.

Fucking kids these days.

After seeing a second person asking the same about why Kojima should say anything to Hayter I entirely subscribe what you've said.

07-09-2015, 01:53 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2015 02:08 AM by SexyKaz.)
It was a dick move and makes you feel sad but I don't feel he was obligated to do shit. Kojima wanted a actor who could provide mocap and I think I speak for all of us here when I say that nobody wants Hayter as Snake in MGSV for various reasons. I'd understand if Hayter had been under a few year contract but as the next entry in the series is always uncertain there's no need for such. Hayter was a small-time player in the whole development process. If MGS was a Hollywood-movie series and he had starred the movies for over 20 years like a fucking Roger Moore, and suddenly he was put aside, the situation would be a lot different. Hayter is definitely important to the fan base and that is probably a reason to be butthurt but technically Kojima did nothing wrong. I wouldn't done the same to a friend but did these guys really hold hands that much? I mean he could have mailed him a fruit basket with a Punished Snake action figure or something but he decided not to. It's a dickhead way to end a good friendship if there was any but then the gaming industry alone has a lot of dickheads doing shittier things.

Quote:if he only had interest in dealing with Sutherland, since he now does that, he could say something to Hayter!
I guess this is because TPP has a high focus on voice acting and mo-capping than ever before. And who's to say he hangs around with Kiefer constantly? For all we know they could've met once in 2013 and again at 2014 Game Awards and Kris Zimmerman took care of the rest of the directing.

Honestly, I'd been more butthurt if they gave the boot to Shinkawa in 2013 since they no longer need his artwork.

Which is probably true considering they rarely use his art at anything anymore and they're recycling his ideas from MGS1 all the time.

ANYWAY people seem to forget why the fuck Kojima has so much love for the series: Metal Gear is his brain-child and his vision, not only design-wise, is implemented in every single entry. He has his opinion about nukes, war, peace, internet memes and whatever and those opinions are strongly present in every single game in the series. Metal Gear games are probably the only games I've ever played which represent its creator's personality and ideas like this. Movies, yea, but I'm sure there are a lot more people like Kojima who should be recognized cause of their potential.

The "Hideo Kojima game" has been a tagline for the games since forever, all because it's good publicity. Look at the fucking reviews for the series, they're insane compared to other video game series. Hell, the tagline could be "the last Hideo Kojima Metal Gear" and the sales would probably go through the roof.
07-09-2015, 11:55 AM
(07-09-2015 01:53 AM)SexyKaz Wrote:  It was a dick move and makes you feel sad but I don't feel he was obligated to do shit. Kojima wanted a actor who could provide mocap and I think I speak for all of us here when I say that nobody wants Hayter as Snake in MGSV for various reasons. I'd understand if Hayter had been under a few year contract but as the next entry in the series is always uncertain there's no need for such. Hayter was a small-time player in the whole development process. If MGS was a Hollywood-movie series and he had starred the movies for over 20 years like a fucking Roger Moore, and suddenly he was put aside, the situation would be a lot different. Hayter is definitely important to the fan base and that is probably a reason to be butthurt but technically Kojima did nothing wrong. I wouldn't done the same to a friend but did these guys really hold hands that much? I mean he could have mailed him a fruit basket with a Punished Snake action figure or something but he decided not to. It's a dickhead way to end a good friendship if there was any but then the gaming industry alone has a lot of dickheads doing shittier things.

Quote:if he only had interest in dealing with Sutherland, since he now does that, he could say something to Hayter!
I guess this is because TPP has a high focus on voice acting and mo-capping than ever before. And who's to say he hangs around with Kiefer constantly? For all we know they could've met once in 2013 and again at 2014 Game Awards and Kris Zimmerman took care of the rest of the directing.

Honestly, I'd been more butthurt if they gave the boot to Shinkawa in 2013 since they no longer need his artwork.

Which is probably true considering they rarely use his art at anything anymore and they're recycling his ideas from MGS1 all the time.

ANYWAY people seem to forget why the fuck Kojima has so much love for the series: Metal Gear is his brain-child and his vision, not only design-wise, is implemented in every single entry. He has his opinion about nukes, war, peace, internet memes and whatever and those opinions are strongly present in every single game in the series. Metal Gear games are probably the only games I've ever played which represent its creator's personality and ideas like this. Movies, yea, but I'm sure there are a lot more people like Kojima who should be recognized cause of their potential.

The "Hideo Kojima game" has been a tagline for the games since forever, all because it's good publicity. Look at the fucking reviews for the series, they're insane compared to other video game series. Hell, the tagline could be "the last Hideo Kojima Metal Gear" and the sales would probably go through the roof.

MGS certainly isn't Hollywood but Kojima knows a lot about movies and the series without gameplay could be a movie on their own. And to answer right now to Kiefer meeting Sutherland, If I'm not mistaked, it was through Avi Arad, a link that together with Suther land makes me think that Kojima is looking like a Hollywood whore right now with twitting pictures of giving middle fingers along with the guy from Gear of War (I think).
I'm not a Hayter fan. First of all, a better actor could have been chosen and secondly, the way it was done is shitty! If Kojima wanted another guy, fine but let Hayter voice GZ and the new one TPP because it would be plausible. Hayter isn't Roger Moore but he was with the series for almost 20 years, gave some og his payroll to pay for the original cast for Twin Snakes and if you say Hayter is not Moore, try imagining what would be MGS without Hayter in 2 or 3 or 4! I can already see the ton of death threats!
Suddenly Hayter is no longer suited, why? The japanese actor is still the same even if the mo-cap is different! Also, because there are other dickheads, it doesn't mean that we need another one or that "you" need to follow the rule. It doesn't need to be a fruit basket, but at least have the balls to say or write him something instead of the guy knowing he wasn't part of it because the game was revealed and his voice wasn't there!

07-10-2015, 03:47 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2015 05:03 AM by SexyKaz.)
(07-09-2015 11:55 AM)Dr. Clark Wrote:  MGS certainly isn't Hollywood but Kojima knows a lot about movies and the series without gameplay could be a movie on their own. And to answer right now to Kiefer meeting Sutherland, If I'm not mistaked, it was through Avi Arad, a link that together with Suther land makes me think that Kojima is looking like a Hollywood whore right now with twitting pictures of giving middle fingers along with the guy from Gear of War (I think).
I thiiink I see your what you're trying to say but you took the idea of my post and threw it out of the fucking window: what I meant to say is that video games used to have way smaller production value than movies (nowadays the AAA-games have pretty much the same budget, see GTAV). In Hollywood, a good sum of that usually goes to the big-name star of the production which is hardly the case in video games (and even less to 1990's David Hayter). An actor has the chance to get contracted to sequels that can be planned ahead due to the certain success of the franchise (Robert Downey Jr. and Avengers) which, again, was hardly the case with MGS, in which the next entry to the series was never certain to happen since video games weren't as popular as movies.

WHICH brings me to the original point that if MGS had always been a film franchise and if Hayter played the lead role his firing would have a way bigger impact to the saga since he would have given the face to both Snake and the franchise. I never thought Hayter or Solid Snake was the face of series. The true face was Hideo Kojima himself. To me, Snake was always more of Hideo Kojima's than David Hayter's character. That's why the tagline is "a Hideo Kojima game" and not "David Hayter is Solid Snake".

Quote:I'm not a Hayter fan. First of all, a better actor could have been chosen and secondly, the way it was done is shitty! If Kojima wanted another guy, fine but let Hayter voice GZ and the new one TPP because it would be plausible.
Plausible as in it wouldn't fuck up the continuity? Sure, that may be a bummer to some but in a game like GZ or TPP I'd much rather have a real actor who can convey a realistic voice to a character instead of throat cancer grunting. Hayter isn't much of an actor, he's a screenwriter and acting is pretty much his side job. That's how he himself puts it. There's also the mocap which I don't know if Hayter could've pulled it off but I doubt it.

I liked Hayter from 1 through 3 but from that on it's just awful shit and I'm more than glad he was replaced. The face cap MGSV has looks fucking sweet and that's thanks to Kiefer, Troy Baker and such. The only way KP has fucked it up so far is not given Snake many lines to express his emotions or if they have the camera angle is so fucked up we can't even see his face. In story like TPP it's pretty much the number one priority and I think this is gonna be the weakest point of the story-telling MGSV.

Quote:Hayter isn't Roger Moore but he was with the series for almost 20 years, gave some og his payroll to pay for the original cast for Twin Snakes and if you say Hayter is not Moore, try imagining what would be MGS without Hayter in 2 or 3 or 4! I can already see the ton of death threats!
I could easily see Hayter replaced in 2 or 3 (4 not so much since the guy was an internet-legend at that point). in 2 they could have gotten a different guy for less money or shits and giggles and in 3 just for the fact that Solid isn't Naked. But they took the fan-service route and took David in once again to Snake Eater (they should've had Sean Connery). Which I think is fair since Hayter didn't suck that hard.

Quote:Suddenly Hayter is no longer suited, why? The japanese actor is still the same even if the mo-cap is different!
Is it really? Look again, the 2012 trailer of GZ shows the a different mo-cap but I think it's identical to the English version. And I can see why, doing the mo-cap in both English and Japanese is a fucking chore.

Quote: Also, because there are other dickheads, it doesn't mean that we need another one or that "you" need to follow the rule.
No, but there are bigger douche bags than Kojima. I'm suprised King doesn't have a similar meida attention it deserves. And how Kojima's been treated recently was way less justified than what happened to Hayter.

Quote:It doesn't need to be a fruit basket, but at least have the balls to say or write him something instead of the guy knowing he wasn't part of it because the game was revealed and his voice wasn't there!
Again, he was not obligated to write shit if you look at it from the business angle. If he would've told Hayter he couldn't reprise his role as Snake who's to say Hayter didn't tweet about it the very second? That would've been atleast a minor media backlash and would've ruined the surprise voice actor that was also supposed to be a Kojima media-stunt. And again, he was a shitty friend if there ever was a strong bond between the guys.

*fix'd a lot of minor shit*
07-10-2015, 05:45 AM
(07-10-2015 03:47 AM)SexyKaz Wrote:  
(07-09-2015 11:55 AM)Dr. Clark Wrote:  MGS certainly isn't Hollywood but Kojima knows a lot about movies and the series without gameplay could be a movie on their own. And to answer right now to Kiefer meeting Sutherland, If I'm not mistaked, it was through Avi Arad, a link that together with Suther land makes me think that Kojima is looking like a Hollywood whore right now with twitting pictures of giving middle fingers along with the guy from Gear of War (I think).
I thiiink I see your what you're trying to say but you took the idea of my post and threw it out of the fucking window: what I meant to say is that video games used to have way smaller production value than movies (nowadays the AAA-games have pretty much the same budget, see GTAV). In Hollywood, a good sum of that usually goes to the big-name star of the production which is hardly the case in video games (and even less to 1990's David Hayter). An actor has the chance to get contracted to sequels that can be planned ahead due to the certain success of the franchise (Robert Downey Jr. and Avengers) which, again, was hardly the case with MGS, in which the next entry to the series was never certain to happen since video games weren't as popular as movies.

WHICH brings me to the original point that if MGS had always been a film franchise and if Hayter played the lead role his firing would have a way bigger impact to the saga since he would have given the face to both Snake and the franchise. I never thought Hayter or Solid Snake was the face of series. The true face was Hideo Kojima himself. To me, Snake was always more of Hideo Kojima's than David Hayter's character. That's why the tagline is "a Hideo Kojima game" and not "David Hayter is Solid Snake".

Quote:I'm not a Hayter fan. First of all, a better actor could have been chosen and secondly, the way it was done is shitty! If Kojima wanted another guy, fine but let Hayter voice GZ and the new one TPP because it would be plausible.
Plausible as in it wouldn't fuck up the continuity? Sure, that may be a bummer to some but in a game like GZ or TPP I'd much rather have a real actor who can convey a realistic voice to a character instead of throat cancer grunting. Hayter isn't much of an actor, he's a screenwriter and acting is pretty much his side job. That's how he himself puts it. There's also the mocap which I don't know if Hayter could've pulled it off but I doubt it.

I liked Hayter from 1 through 3 but from that on it's just awful shit and I'm more than glad he was replaced. The face cap MGSV has looks fucking sweet and that's thanks to Kiefer, Troy Baker and such. The only way KP has fucked it up so far is not given Snake many lines to express his emotions or if they have the camera angle is so fucked up we can't even see his face. In story like TPP it's pretty much the number one priority and I think this is gonna be the weakest point of the story-telling MGSV.

Quote:Hayter isn't Roger Moore but he was with the series for almost 20 years, gave some og his payroll to pay for the original cast for Twin Snakes and if you say Hayter is not Moore, try imagining what would be MGS without Hayter in 2 or 3 or 4! I can already see the ton of death threats!
I could easily see Hayter replaced in 2 or 3 (4 not so much since the guy was an internet-legend at that point). in 2 they could have gotten a different guy for less money or shits and giggles and in 3 just for the fact that Solid isn't Naked. But they took the fan-service route and took David in once again to Snake Eater (they should've had Sean Connery). Which I think is fair since Hayter didn't suck that hard.

Quote:Suddenly Hayter is no longer suited, why? The japanese actor is still the same even if the mo-cap is different!
Is it really? Look again, the 2012 trailer of GZ shows the a different mo-cap but I think it's identical to the English version. And I can see why, doing the mo-cap in both English and Japanese is a fucking chore.

Quote: Also, because there are other dickheads, it doesn't mean that we need another one or that "you" need to follow the rule.
No, but there are bigger douche bags than Kojima. I'm suprised King doesn't have a similar meida attention it deserves. And how Kojima's been treated recently was way less justified than what happened to Hayter.

Quote:It doesn't need to be a fruit basket, but at least have the balls to say or write him something instead of the guy knowing he wasn't part of it because the game was revealed and his voice wasn't there!
Again, he was not obligated to write shit if you look at it from the business angle. If he would've told Hayter he couldn't reprise his role as Snake who's to say Hayter didn't tweet about it the very second? That would've been atleast a minor media backlash and would've ruined the surprise voice actor that was also supposed to be a Kojima media-stunt. And again, he was a shitty friend if there ever was a strong bond between the guys.

*fix'd a lot of minor shit*

About the Hollywood stuff I honestly didn't realised that you were talking about the money involved and actors. I thought you meant how the game has or not some movie characteristics. Even if the next game wasn't certain, after MGS2 that Hayter "became" Solid Snake! I understand and would accept that a new one might be used for 3 because like you've said and makes all sense, Big Boss is not Snake but the fact is that Hayter voiced Big Boss in three games (PO included) and while I can accept a change, due to what happened with Hayter's voicing of BB, I think he should voice Snake in GZ. I'm not saying that he should be the mo-cap actor but Sutherland? First of all, his voice sounds "whistled" to me as far as 2015's the E3 trailer, like when learning English and the teacher telling me to put my tongue between the teeth in order to say words like thief, tooth..."th". Secondly, from the beginning that I didn't liked how Snake looked like, more so after seeing a piece of a video where BB and Sutherland are side by side in mo-cap and BB just seems to have way bigger lips. Why there's a need for a known name? I see it more as Kojima being a whore in Hollywood than need, not to mention that "he" would spent less. I accept money being spent for gameplay and graphical (not the rainbow shit war that's going on) purposes but in a couple of celebrities that could be avoided? No.
As a side note, just a few days I was reading that Troy Baker would voice yet another character! Since that Joosten was announced that I'm worried about novelty, because as a fan of Shinkawa I prefer characters entirely born from scratch...just yesterday I was seeing a concept art of the B&B unit and thinking that I would rather have those drawn characters that the human models. Also, in a while, Troy Baker will be voicing and doing mo-cap for all AAA games!!! We'll have Ocelot, Drake, Super Mario all voiced by him! In a while Try Baker will voice Troy Baker in "Troy Baker: the musical game".

What I meant about mo-cap is that while the english one was used for all versions of the game, the voice actor in Japanese wasn't different. You might say that Akio might be a professional voicing actor but Kojima is now worried about the English script and actors?, he who said that he followed and was more concerned with the Japanese in all these years? Again, Kojima is more of a whore.

Again, the fact that there are bigger douchebags doesn't justifies Kojima's action! I don't know that guy you're talking about so I can only speak of Kojima and I think that doing that to Hayter at this point is being a dick! I don't think Hayter would spill the beans about him not being involved...se seems to know how spoiling stuff is shitty!

Kojima deserves the tagline but in my opinion he also deserves all this shit. Konami is a fucked up company since a few years ago and Kojima's case only brought the matter to light to the massive audiences and so Konami would always follows this blind-profit route but perhaps if Kojima hadn't been raising the budget with all those actors, he could have hang on a little longer.

07-12-2015, 11:34 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2015 11:35 PM by SexyKaz.)
(07-10-2015 05:45 AM)Dr. Clark Wrote:  while I can accept a change, due to what happened with Hayter's voicing of BB, I think he should voice Snake in GZ. I'm not saying that he should be the mo-cap actor but Sutherland? First of all, his voice sounds "whistled" to me as far as 2015's the E3 trailer
Kiefer doesn't bother me (cause of 24 or something) but that's an opinion. Just like a million people think that Hayter should be brought back.
But having two different actors to do voice over and face-capture would be a disaster. Considering that all the other actors share the voice and face capture and that Kojima wants the game to be as realistic as possible. And no matter what you think about Hayter X Kiefer you can say that the latter has a voice that fits to a realistic world, which is what Kojima is going for. You could argue that Hayter could tone down his voice but then what'd be the point of bringing him back? Other than the fact it's the David Goddamn Hayter.

Quote:Secondly, from the beginning that I didn't liked how Snake looked like, more so after seeing a piece of a video where BB and Sutherland are side by side in mo-cap and BB just seems to have way bigger lips. Why there's a need for a known name? I see it more as Kojima being a whore in Hollywood than need, not to mention that "he" would spent less. I accept money being spent for gameplay and graphical (not the rainbow shit war that's going on) purposes but in a couple of celebrities that could be avoided? No.
I agree they should use Shinkawa's works as the basis of the models more. That's how we'd get the sort of MGS2/3-look I enjoyed. But the new actor-based models don't look that bad. It's got less of that anime-feel that the old models got, which I'm ok with.

I still find it hard to believe that Kojima just wanted a big name. If he wanted to go all whored mode he could've gone with a even more popular actor like Christian Bale for example, who even has expressed his interest in playing Snake. In the next Metal Gear Solid Snake will probably be played by Chris Pratt, RDJr. or Mark Wahlberg, anyway.

What I believe is that Kojima essentialy wanted Sutherland for the fact that he wanted an actor to play the part. Hayter is not an actor but a screenwriter or so he keeps telling everyone. He is an versatile voice talent and actor, nonetheless, but unlike the cast of TPP I think he couldn't have handle the face-cap, the most important way of communication of Snake's character in TPP, as well as Sutherland.

Sure there are probably small-time actors who could've done a decent work but Kojima had relations to Hollywood and got Sutherland. Kiefer is an actor who we've seen playing characters like Snake in movies and series and has done decent job at that to say the least. I think Kojima played his cards well and picked an actor felt most comfortable to play Snake. The only way they could fuck it up is, as I stated before, that they don't use Kiefer or his character to full potential.

Also how much money you think KojiPro did blow on Sutherland or any other character? Being Jack Bauer isn't the only reason to get a huge paycheck. There are other factors like recording-time and etc. Kiefer clearly isn't the actor with most dialogue as we've witnessed. Also the reason TPP looks so last-gen is because it is last-gen. The game essentialy started as a PS3-title. Kojima doens't have a huge scrooge-mcduckian money pile where he spends all his expenses on graphics, gameplay, voice actors, marketing, etc. Different shit needs different budget. Even if they did have less money on actors I could not see how they got more money on gameplay or graphics development. Or what use it would have since the main focus of MGSV is definitily on gameplay.

Quote:Troy Baker will be voicing and doing mo-cap for all AAA games!!! We'll have Ocelot, Drake, Super Mario all voiced by him!
Where the fuck has Troy Baker voiced Super Mario?

Quote:What I meant about mo-cap is that while the english one was used for all versions of the game, the voice actor in Japanese wasn't different. You might say that Akio might be a professional voicing actor but Kojima is now worried about the English script and actors?, he who said that he followed and was more concerned with the Japanese in all these years? Again, Kojima is more of a whore.
So you're saying that they should've stuck with Japanese face-capping and a minor English voice over to a game that has a major English-speaking audience? In a game that has a major market in America and Europe that would be a major fuck-up. I mean have you ever seen a movie in Germany? As a English-speaking fan I have absolutely no shit on this.

Previous Metal Gear games obviously had less of an input in lip-syncing as in TPP. In MGS2/3 they basically just changed the way the lips moved since that was the hardware back then (and BOY did the fuck it UP in MGS3). MGS4 had different lip-sync for both languages which was a nice touch, considering neither side suffered from it. MGSV obviously has to pick a side and if your game's major market is in the west what would you do?

And what reason would they have to change Otsuka in this case? He's about the same age as Snake. He's been acting before there even was Metal Gear. Unlike Sutherland, he doesn't need to look like a middle-aged guy, only sound like one. I'd say he's backed up way better than Hayter here. Also, saying that the Japanese voice over doesn't matter to him, look again: he's spent a fuck-load of time over-seeing the Japanese cast.

Calling Kojima a whore when he's going for a reasonable angle is fucking ridicilous.

Quote:Again, the fact that there are bigger douchebags doesn't justifies Kojima's action! I don't know that guy you're talking about so I can only speak of Kojima and I think that doing that to Hayter at this point is being a dick! I don't think Hayter would spill the beans about him not being involved...se seems to know how spoiling stuff is shitty!
King's the company that produces Candy Crush Saga and other literally stolen games. Look it up. If there ever was a official douchebag of anything, it's them.

Seeing that Hayter hasn't been much better of a douchebag about the situation he just might have. But that's just specualtion.

Quote:Kojima deserves the tagline but in my opinion he also deserves all this shit. Konami is a fucked up company since a few years ago and Kojima's case only brought the matter to light to the massive audiences and so Konami would always follows this blind-profit route but perhaps if Kojima hadn't been raising the budget with all those actors, he could have hang on a little longer.
This pretty much concludes the unreasonable thinking that's going on: calling him whore for replacing Hayter with Sutherland, all the money going down the Kiefer-toilet. Is that really REALLY your reason that Kojima deserved to get a boot? That's the reason that Kojima's name is being taken from his future AND past work and the studio carrying his name to be disbanded? This kind of totalitarian thinking is the "worse than Hitler"-cancer of the MGS-community.

I'm not a "Kojima is God"-guy, I disagree with his opinions (like the fact that video games can't be art) and decissions (like MGS4), but I respect him for doing the shit he wants over anything. And the fact that, at the same time, he does what his fans want. He's definetely one of the few people still out there. I like Hayter to certain extent but I can see the very reason why Kojima went for a real actor.

Kojima is out there to make his most realistic, biggest project of all time and his treatment on it has been unceremonial to say the least. Hayter's wasn't much better but I can understand the sacrifices that had to be made. And knowing Kojima those were more artistical choices over anything.

Calling Kojima a "Hollywood whore" is kinda ironic considering what he's being doing since MGS1: making a video game block buster. That's his dream and even over half of his fucking existence if we go by his Twitter account.
07-13-2015, 03:31 AM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2015 03:42 AM by Dr. Clark.)
I'll mix the answers because they're linked.

About Hayter vs Kiefer, I think Hayter should've been called for GZ but for voice acting only! I know he's no actor so the mocap wouldn't be a viable option. Secondly, like I've said, I don't like Kiefer's voice and the fact that Snake might resemble him (there's too much difference from MGS3 & PW)...Kiefer was suggested by Avi Arad and since Hayter wasn't coming back, I still think there could be a better option for a cheaper price...I mean, I don't think they're hiring celebrities for every character mocap. Kojima probably accepted Kiefer not only due to him being an actual actor and a suggestion but also because of the big name.
Sure, Kiefer isn't just payed for being Bauer but have you seen the trailers? BB not only doesn't speak, he also doesn't do nothing when getting the binoculars (or iDroid?) from Ocelot...just stands there looking at it. And that "Kaz, I'm already a demon" line...it looks like he's tired. Sutherland didn't even knew MGS or the industry...it seems more like another job without actually knowing the status of MGS. He feels just a voice in the middle of a big franchise...like little Anakin in Phantom Menace! Sure money is applied for gameplay but I still think that the voices got quiet a few bucks and that perhaps affected BB's dialogue.
As for the Japanese actor, what I meant is that just like how the Akio remains to do the voice acting while the mocap is in English, so too could Hayter do the voice while not doing the mocap. You have apoint in saying that an actor for mocap and another for voice acting would probably look bad but it would be only for GZ and secondly, perhaps an actor more like Hayter's voice of Snake and something that would fit better between Hayter and ... (I can't recall his name) MGS4's BB actor!

Troy Baker voicing Mario was a joke, because in a few years, it may be the last gaming character left to voice.

That's the thing, now Kojima is insterested in the western market? Why has he changed "sides" when he said the Japanese script was more important? I didn't said that Kojima didn't cared for the Japanese cast, on the contrary! And this change seems to me like a whore's move perhaps even to exit the Japanese influence...perhaps Kojima was indeed foreseeing what's happening at Konami and tought about charming the West!

Oh, that King...I'm more used to Ubisoft being douchebags, but I maintain my point.

Kojima doing what he wants and doing what the fans want? Kojima said he didn't wanted to be known as the "MGS guy" and yet it's almost everything, if not all, he does! He was placed in Lords of Shadow most likely because Konami wanted to. The Fox Engine was developed because Kojima lied to Konami about the true purpose of it. Kojima kept being screwed by fanboys and his own company!
I'm not sore about Sutherland replacing Hayter. I'm not Hayter's fan, I just think that his dismissal could have been made in another way, a more dignified one.
I don't care if Kojima was making a blockbuster on a videogame. We all knew Kojima's passion for movies but the way things are now are too much! I was never one to criticise the game's cutscenes nor the Codec chats which I've loved (except for MGS2 and MGS4) but all these Hollywood names and suddenly Hollywood loves Kojima and he even goes to Saudi Arabia. Like I've said, how many people payed attention to what happened with Koji Igarashi? Now, because it's Kojima, he's a victim, when he had the position to try making things different.
Kojima deserves the tagline? Yeah, sure. But he also deserves the "MGS guy" tagline.

Edit: if Kojima ends up going to Kickstarter, 99,9% of players will be expecting a MG spiritual successor and if Kojima does something differently and follows his own wishes, I want to see how most people will abandon him because of that!
Cancer of the MGS community? That's funny to a certain extent because it's most of that community that keeps begging for a MGS game like AC or CoD instead of letting Kojima making what he wants and thinks that their wishes for a new game surpasses Kojima's dreams! The same community that blindly says that Kojima is God but only for as long as MGS is made.

07-13-2015, 07:01 AM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2015 07:04 AM by SexyKaz.)
(07-13-2015 03:31 AM)Dr. Clark Wrote:  I'll mix the answers because they're linked.

About Hayter vs Kiefer, I think Hayter should've been called for GZ but for voice acting only! I know he's no actor so the mocap wouldn't be a viable option.
Again, considering that the rest of the cast have both the same voice and face and then for some reason have Hayter with someone else's face would be pointless and would probably take even more time and money than Kiefer. The two actors would portrait Snake differentely no matter how well the two are briefed, especially in a game like this where emotional delivery is just as important as the words, if not even more. Trust me, having two different actors would look just as phoned in as dubbing a movie to a different language and would ruin the purpose of the character. There's no need for Hayter/Kiefer-transition to Ground Zeroes since the games are basically the same game. Or so it has been implied they were intended to be the same.

Quote: Secondly, like I've said, I don't like Kiefer's voice and the fact that Snake might resemble him (there's too much difference from MGS3 & PW)...Kiefer was suggested by Avi Arad and since Hayter wasn't coming back, I still think there could be a better option for a cheaper price...I mean, I don't think they're hiring celebrities for every character mocap. Kojima probably accepted Kiefer not only due to him being an actual actor and a suggestion but also because of the big name.
Of course they wouldn't hire celebs for every character. Not even Hollywood-movies do that. MGSV does have very talented voice acting stars, Robin Atkin Dowes and Troy Baker, as the characters with most dialogue, though. And while I keep telling that having Kiefer is Kojima's idea of building a perfect character I'm also aware that it's a way to gain publicity. But that's the direction the industry is going for all the time, so Kojima's not the only "whore" there is.

Quote:Sure, Kiefer isn't just payed for being Bauer but have you seen the trailers? BB not only doesn't speak, he also doesn't do nothing when getting the binoculars (or iDroid?) from Ocelot...just stands there looking at it. And that "Kaz, I'm already a demon" line...it looks like he's tired.
While I do agree that Snake talking less is bullshit I do believe there's a lot we haven't heard yet. Like in Ground Zeroes, Snake will probably have a lot of dialogue on cassette tapes. But him reacting to every single detail a la Hayter Snake isn't a favorable opinion aswell.

This is probably due to Kiefer's precious time but Kojima could have played this to his favor: he has expressed that Snake will be more of the player's character, which should make us feel more to the character. The new Mad Max-movie uses this trope geniously. The only difference was that the focus on the story was on Charlize Theron's character, not the titular character, which might be a problem considering what TPP is supposed to tell us. Perhaps we'll see some of Snake's development through other characters. Or then Snake will have more screen time than we've heard. Maybe what Snake says isn't as important as what he shows. What I'm trying to say is not to take everything so black and white.

Quote:Sutherland didn't even knew MGS or the industry...it seems more like another job without actually knowing the status of MGS. He feels just a voice in the middle of a big franchise...like little Anakin in Phantom Menace!
Have you seen how he has been talking about his experience TPP? In the very first interview of MGSV he clearly said "I'm not a gamer and even I know this character". He has shown a lot of respect and interest to this character, franchise and industry. Do you think anyone else of his age would've showed similar interest to the industry that could also pull Snake's face-capture for Hayter?

Kiefer has kinda tired, monotone voice. That's not something everyone likes but as he is playing a character fed up with his experience it's feels proper to me.

Quote:Sure money is applied for gameplay but I still think that the voices got quiet a few bucks and that perhaps affected BB's dialogue.
Perhaps, but saying it has affect on rest of the game or to Kojima getting his ass fired is pure speculation.

Quote:As for the Japanese actor, what I meant is that just like how the Akio remains to do the voice acting while the mocap is in English, so too could Hayter do the voice while not doing the mocap. You have apoint in saying that an actor for mocap and another for voice acting would probably look bad but it would be only for GZ and secondly, perhaps an actor more like Hayter's voice of Snake and something that would fit better between Hayter and ... (I can't recall his name) MGS4's BB actor!
Even though it would be a fancy-ass nod to the classic fans it would be a disaster in aesthetical terms, as I've said thousands of times. Who would do the face cap? Kiefer? While being completely mute just so they could pay more money to Hayter? How would Hayter react if he could only voice the prologue? Trust me, your and his reaction would be just the same. I'd understand if GZ was done as a completely independent product in 2012 to PS3 or PSP but not when they're "the same game".

I liked Richard "The Fury" Doyle's Big Boss even less than Hayter's Old Snake and strongly believe that the actor portraying him should not start imitating either one. Troy Baker didn't try to be Josh Keaton or Patrick Zimmerman and turned out to be a good Ocelot. But again, me liking Sutherland and you prefering Hayter is an endless opinion debate. To me Kiefer just brings something fresh to the character and yet maintaining his gritty feel we've come to know.

Quote:That's the thing, now Kojima is insterested in the western market? Why has he changed "sides" when he said the Japanese script was more important? I didn't said that Kojima didn't cared for the Japanese cast, on the contrary! And this change seems to me like a whore's move perhaps even to exit the Japanese influence...
You say on the contrary and you mean the exact opposite? Kojima still has good caring on Japanese script and voice acting. He previously had Kris Zimmerman to take care of the English direction and still has. In fact, I think the only thing that has changed is that the English lip-syncing is the priority.

Let me ask this again in simpler terms: if you produce a movie, let's call it "Fuck Japanese Hypocrites" in your own laguage, let's assume it's Mongolian in hypotethical purposes, and it doesn't do well in your home country. Instead the majority of the western population find it interesting because it's something never done before. You produce two or three sequels, improving the series a little every time, and it still doesn't do well in your home country but the western audience friggin' loves it. Then you produce mini-series called "Fuck Japanese Hypocrites: Portable Ops" that sucks and you move on You come to notice that no matter what you do your main market is in the west. Wouldn't you rather make the next Fuck Japanese Hypocrites 5 to appeal more to the western audience if it ment your franchise to be more popular?

This is not Kojima abandoning a certain aspect of the series because he's focusing on marketing the his game to his most profitable audience. He wants the game to feel more realistic to a wider audience and you think that's unorthodox? Should they also bring O is yes and X is no to XBONE aswell? This sort of thinking is the magnitude of blaming every Japanese person for Pearl Harbour. Kojima focusing on western market is not whoring, it's common fucking sense.

Quote:perhaps Kojima was indeed foreseeing what's happening at Konami and tought about charming the West!
Konami's been knee-deep in shit for a long time. See what happened to it's previous franchises.

Quote:Oh, that King...I'm more used to Ubisoft being douchebags, but I maintain my point.
Then please focus your hatred to things that actually matter.

Quote:Kojima doing what he wants and doing what the fans want? Kojima said he didn't wanted to be known as the "MGS guy" and yet it's almost everything, if not all, he does! He was placed in Lords of Shadow most likely because Konami wanted to.
Did you seriously fucking forget Silent Hills already? He was about to do something different until he was fucked over? Do you think that he deserved that aswell for hiring Norman Reedus instead of Guy Cihi as the leading character? Also, it's not up to Kojima alone what he gets to create.

Quote:The Fox Engine was developed because Kojima lied to Konami about the true purpose of it. Kojima kept being screwed by fanboys and his own company!
And pray, tell me, what's the true secret of the Fox Engine?

Quote:I'm not sore about Sutherland replacing Hayter. I'm not Hayter's fan, I just think that his dismissal could have been made in another way, a more dignified one.
That is true. I would've been super-pissed if in same situation, maybe even more.

Quote:I don't care if Kojima was making a blockbuster on a videogame. We all knew Kojima's passion for movies but the way things are now are too much! I was never one to criticise the game's cutscenes nor the Codec chats which I've loved (except for MGS2 and MGS4) but all these Hollywood names and suddenly Hollywood loves Kojima
What's there not to like? Video game industry is going and maybe those Hollywood-people really like trailers that isn't just CGI-bullshit and explosions. I don't like some of his influences from the western games either but that doesn't mean I'm going to crucify himand The Phantom Pain.

Quote: and he even goes to Saudi Arabia.
OFFICIALLY WORSE THAN HITLER
Seriously, these guys tried to sue a game for the use of a word from English dictionary. What does it make them?

Quote:Like I've said, how many people payed attention to what happened with Koji Igarashi? Now, because it's Kojima, he's a victim, when he had the position to try making things different.
Seems to be doing pretty well now, after leaving Konami.

Quote:Kojima deserves the tagline? Yeah, sure. But he also deserves the "MGS guy" tagline.
Yes he does, and he should wear both with certain pride. The future alone tells, if he'll do anything different. And I'm sure he will since Konami isn't restricting him with Metal Gear.

Quote:Edit: if Kojima ends up going to Kickstarter, 99,9% of players will be expecting a MG spiritual successor and if Kojima does something differently and follows his own wishes, I want to see how most people will abandon him because of that!
Well, I don't. I wish all the best with the guy.

Quote:Cancer of the MGS community?

Yes, to every "I WANT THE NXT METUL GERR TO HAEV 4321 GUNS AND NO CUTSCENES" there's a "BRING BCK TEH OVRHEAD CMERA AND 90 DEGREE FOVs!"

Quote:That's funny to a certain extent because it's most of that community that keeps begging for a MGS game like AC or CoD instead of letting Kojima making what he wants and thinks that their wishes for a new game surpasses Kojima's dreams!
Which community has ever been that fucked? Since even NeoGaff and MGSForums seem to be pretty faithful to the core aspects of the franchise and there's a lot of fuck-uppery going on.

What I can assume from all that you've been saying that all the changes are made by Kojima voluntarily. You somehow assume that Kojima has made these decissions because money and yet you keep saying that the guy should do what he wants. You say he fucked over David Hayter and also that he fucked over the Japanese cast. Maybe that's because he never really did give a fuck about the English cast? Fuck, your main argument about everything is that Kojima is a whore!

Metal Gear isn't Kojima's own product. It's Konami's. Only independent producers have the power you think Kojima has over Metal Gear. Saying Kojima is a whore since he tried to save a sinking ship is because he didn't send flowers to David Hayter's career is beyond comprehension. I'm pretty sure you're gonna like MGSV just as much or then you're gonna nitpick all the way to the surprise Solid Snake-cameo.

The only thing that everyone[/quote] should be super-pissed of about MGSV is the micro-transactions and I'm pretty sure even that wasn't Kojima's idea in the first place.
07-13-2015, 10:35 AM
I didn't quoted you because the post was too big and I couldn't post my own with them in it.

I haven't played GZ but I doubt that that difference could come near Kiefer's payroll! GZ isn't a full game, far from it. You're right in thinking GZ and TPP are one game because the move to split the two was made to get a feel of the players but having done that, I don't think it would be bad to have Hayter's voice. Sstill about the games) GZ is set right after PW and TPP 9 years later so despite being the same, in terms of trasition, I think Hayter should be in GZ.

Why do you keep comparing MGS to a Hollywood movie? MGS doesn't need to be a Holywood movie! That's what led the gaming industry to say that things are "cinematic" when they don't know what that is and use that as an excuse for graphical prowess instead of gameplay innovation. MGS didn't needed Hollywood stars, just good actors and that you can find without the Hollywood label! And again, you keep justifying your points with "that's how others are or do it"! MGS doesn't need to follow a herd. For this discussion, I don't care if other's are whores or not or who's the biggest, I'm talking about MGS only! MGS standed on its own, it doesn't need comparisons!

The cassete tapes is just another way of saving in mocap. While clever, in terms of game, I prefer cutscenes as I lost interest on those.
Well, it wasn't Hayter's fault...I mean, in Shadow Moses, the camera stuff was there so Hayter just did the voice acting for that. While I don't like this style when abused is better than having a mute BB. I think it's shit that "player's character"! If that was the case, then we'de have QTE and the option of not building a MG or better yet we would have dialogue options! We're playing as Big Boss, not some our avatar soldier following him! The intro in every mission that has the cast, if I'm not mistaken, says Big Boss, not "you". At least in Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance it was "Juste Belmont as YOU", unlike MGS.
I'm not taking it black and white but from what we've seen...in the previous games we would hear Snake narrating some stuff, now it's others and they're not speaking of BB.

Yeah, I call that PR bullshit! He now knows how fans are about this series so he's taking care with what he says.

Big Boss is fed up? Who would say? He has a new unit and base to manage (sure, along with Kaz and Ocelot) and two more (at least, OH and ZL). At the end of PW he was pretty motivated to go against the world and now he's tired? Was that he slept too much? Please. He sounds tired and in the middle of a battlefield shouts orders to Quiet!

Yes it speculation but it's a logical assumption when you have budget. If you want to spend more on something, other stuff will get less. Also, Konami told (not that it may be true) that Kojima's games took too long and too much money and seeing how Konamiwants to go in the future, I believe that Kojima's model doesn't suit their ambitions of quicker gains.

I guess Hayter would react a lot better than being dumped the way he was! Again, due to the time elements in the two games as Hayter's position, I would be better for GZ. In TPP it could be different because if done this way, there's no way Hayter would be so pissed. Kojima's reasons are valid for wanting a profissional mocap (again, it didn't needed to be Kiefer) but the way it was done is what I dislike.

Kojima has said that he cared and had the Japanese script as the one that matters. What I've said is that Kojima's change seems more like being a whore than not. I said Kojima "cared", not "cares" (at least from now on!)

Both Portable Ops and PW were to catter to a specific console while trying to profit on the name, just like Ghost Babel did the same for the Game Boy Color! The sales were not the games' fault...Kojima changed audiences because he know how the mobile industry is in Japan (Monster Hunter in PW was a proof of that, a series that sells well because enjoying the game with others) but it's funny how the time is the same as his star status! Having a studio with his own name, opening a branch of it in LA...Kojima is aproaching the West all right but doing the same PR and Hollywood shit, the same "cinematic" shit as others studios are making and that's not good! Also, why making a game more popular when you don't want to do it anymore anyway? Fuck, it's having Kojima making the bigger MGS when he's fucking tired of it. Kojima seems to be a whore but for his own sake, in order to be free of Konami and having the means to establish in the West but te way he's doing it's bad because like I've said, if he makes another game and that's not MGS, people will be pissed,

And yet Kojima kept his position and didn't tried to get out, despite being Vice-president (if I'm not mistaken). That's why I also said that to a point, it's Kojima own fault for this mess. I've said earlier, is easy to speak from the outside, sure, but if he was inside and holding a major position, couldn't he see how the shareholders would react and want profit made on lower budgets and reusing assets a la Assassin's Creed? Here's where the comparison with others is acceptable, not forigiving Kojima for being a douchebag because there are others.

Right, because Kojima being a jerk isn't important. It starts with little things like these. If back in the day people were to do more about Ubisoft's behaviours and others, perhaps things would be the way they are.

He was about to do something different? You've answered that yourself: Sillent Hills happened because Konami got an excuse. Kojima said two (I think) years ago that he wouldn't mind to make something in that series and Konami had the change to join the need to the will, in this case, just like how they put Kojima working in Lords of Shadow, they let (not needing to force Kojima) him work in this one too! They fucked the HD remaster of Silent Hills, do you think Konami is seriously concerned with that series? They had the excuse to have a loved franchise worked by a big name like Kojima, so why not? Now that things are just as they are, Konami will ptobably bury that series or make it a mobile whore. Silent Hills wasn't Kojima freeing himself, at least not entirely...he tried but in the end Konami fucked that too!

It's no secret, not now, just the story of its creation. Konami only allowed the Fox Engine to be created because Kojima told it was for MGS only, while in reality Konami wanted to use it for every other game. Even then Konami was already relying on the big titles only, while Kojima wanted a broader approach and that's why I said that even as far as by the time of PW, things were bad and Kojima should act in advance, not waiting for the present state of affairs.

You have to tell me who's crucifying Kojima and TPP. All I'm saying is that I'm not that pissed about the #ahideokojimagame and that to a point he deserves that for doing something shitty.

I've read that news...Yet again you try to justify Kojima's action by comparing him to the herd. I care about how Ubisoft, King and others are fucking the industry by not buying their games or in Ubi's case, by buying it on second-hand by I also care about one of my favorite series and how its creator is getting payed back in a much worser manner.

Now that he's ressurfaced people know him due to his Kickstarter. And oh look, he didn't made such a fuss as Kojima, even more because from what is known he was never a douchebag to other people!

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLol! You talk about opinions that are cancer and yet you are the one doing it by saying that Kojima should wear a tagline that he doesn't want, one that is proof of his forceful binding to MGS by fans and Konami!

From the tagline issues, it doesn't seem that way!
In both cases I must say that I don't agree with them. I have my opinion about the gameplay - like how I actually liked the overhead camera - but I'm not making threats because of it nor not hearing others' opinion.

I can't speak for NeoGaf and MGSforums! I registered here after being an occassional lurker for 6 or more years and because this seems like the true Outer Heaven when it comes to not having fanboyism but actual reasoning and arguments.

My main argument isn't that Kojima is a whore. I know Konami is still a company and has power. What I question is Kojima's own position inside Konami and what he's doing now in light of what he did or should have done when helding a top position, when he could perhaps change something
For a guy that is always tweeting shit he could very well send or have someone send a formal message to Hayter and I'm not saying that it should have been at the start but at least a couple of days before GZ/TPP was announced or even latter, at least it would be something!

Like I've said I don't like the Snake cameo and I don't even about the story, just the gameplay! I have my opinions though, like a person that used to care for those stuff.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)