Hayter not in MGSV guiz, you ought to petition Konami
08-02-2014, 10:29 AM
RE: Hayter not in MGSV guiz, you ought to petition Konami
(08-02-2014 09:42 AM)PsychoVenoM Wrote:  Sorry Charlie, Solidus and Solid Snake are both voiced by Akio Ohtsuka in the Japanese version of the game of MGS2

Who gives a shit? We're talking about the English cast, not the Japanese one. Kiefer Sutherland isn't voicing Japanese Big Boss now is he, you marvelous cunt?

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
08-02-2014, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2014 10:51 AM by Solidsuitlarry.)
(08-02-2014 10:01 AM)Smiley Wrote:  Buncha bullshit

Are you fucking serious?

Have you even watched the LXG movie?

As he sees it he's been burnt too many times before and he's just done with it. He even gave Watchmen's script a bit of help and David Hayter was consulting with him until Hayter fucked and brought up the idea of a sequel at which point Moore saw the same mindset that in his view fucked up his work in the past and bowed out. Exactly how many times does he need to see his work butchered (in his eyes) before he's allowed to say "Fuck it, I'm out"?

And your Connery/Lazenby thing still doesn't make sense, what was the point of even bringing that up? Sure Hayter would probably like to come back i'm sure, but he doesn't seem to feel like he's owed anything or that they need him. He just feels like they dumped him in a shitty way.

Yeah a lot of voice actors get replaced all the time but how many of them have had as much of a personal stake in their respective roles as Hayter had in MGS? It was a bit part that he took while he was in a depression over how badly his career was going and through it he achieved a level of celebrity that perked him up and has been with him ever since. He's then given his own time and money since then for the sake of the series and they drop him like a hot rock because he's not famous enough?

Again he has every right to be pissed about it and if people ask him his feelings on it or he wants to bitch about it on twitter that's his prerogative. I've never actually seen or heard him say anything like "Fuck this game, it's gonna suck until they put me back into it", just melancholy over the fact he's been dropped from a series has been a huge part of his adult life.

You seem to be just pissed off that he's unhappy about it at all, like he should just shut down his twitter and refuse to talk about it at all in interviews.

Here's my counter-offer to your counter-offer: Go Fuck Yourself!
08-02-2014, 11:01 AM
There's no way I'm reading all that, but I like SSL, so I'm on his side here. He seems generally smarter than you anyway, so I feel like I'm in the right on this stance as well.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

08-02-2014, 11:05 AM
(08-02-2014 10:46 AM)Solidsuitlarry Wrote:  

Are you fucking serious?

And what does that have to do with Watchmen? Different people handling different adaptations. A bad movie doesn't guarantee every single one will be just as bad or worse.

His outlook on adaptations aside, Alan Moore really is a loony old bastard.

Quote:And your Connery/Lazenby thing still doesn't make sense, what was the point of even bringing that up? Sure Hayter would probably like to come back i'm sure, but he doesn't seem to feel like he's owed anything or that they need him. He just feels like they dumped him in a shitty way.

As far as being the original actor, Hayter is no Sean Connery in the sense that he's not some mega star that the series has to have where he can call the shots. The studio would rather have Connery than Lazenby. The same is not said for Metal Gear. They clearly wanted Kiefer more.

Quote:Yeah a lot of voice actors get replaced all the time but how many of them have had as much of a personal stake in their respective roles as Hayter had in MGS?

That's the nature of the business. Not limited to just voice acting. His personal attachment to his work is fine, but he doesn't own the character, he doesn't have any influence over the story or where the character goes. He's only paid to act, and the developers found someone who they felt was better suited to play the role. At that point, Hayter can hold out for another callback, but his attitude suggests that he was screwed over. He and all the other actors had to audition back for their roles in later sequels including MGS4. They are paid per project and do not get guaranteed permanent status.

Quote:Again he has every right to be pissed about it and if people ask him his feelings on it or he wants to bitch about it on twitter that's his prerogative.

He has the right, but that's bad for business when you are expecting to come back.

Quote:You seem to be just pissed off that he's unhappy about it at all, like he should just shut down his twitter and refuse to talk about it at all in interviews.

I actually prefer Kiefer so I'm fine with Hayter's meltdown. But all I'm saying is acting professional would be a better alternative to being hired again than behaving unprofessionally.

[Image: iEvhnuZkVdiu5.gif]
08-02-2014, 11:27 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2014 11:39 AM by THEND.)
(08-02-2014 10:29 AM)Canucklehead Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 09:42 AM)PsychoVenoM Wrote:  Sorry Charlie, Solidus and Solid Snake are both voiced by Akio Ohtsuka in the Japanese version of the game of MGS2

Who gives a shit? We're talking about the English cast, not the Japanese one. Kiefer Sutherland isn't voicing Japanese Big Boss now is he, you marvelous cunt?

If you're going to miss the point you stupendous cocksucker don't even respond sheesh!

Quote:But all I'm saying is acting professional would be a better alternative to being hired again than behaving unprofessionally.

Not calling your star, someone fans have grown an attachment to in order to fire him is extremely unprofessional. Sure Hayter responded the same way but Hayter was just doing what the fans would have wanted him to do anyway. He of course would know just as well as anyone else that it is unprofessional. He tried, and told the fans "sorry". The problem now is the fans have been wanting hayter to lead the charge against Konami to give him the role again when technically it should go to whoever Konami wants it to.

Hayter even told the fans to contact Konami. It's never been in hayter's hands to begin with.

Were any of you upset when Kojima sat out during the development of Portable Ops? Of course not. Then again most people would prefer that Kojima make the games anyway. All the fans want is a complete series. Whoever fucks it up after Kojima is done with it doesn't really matter to most people. Players don't really form attachments to Game designers, they form attachments to stars .

Kojima wants the industry to form an attachment to Sutherland. why? Because it makes him more money.

I don't think hayter is being unprofessional. So far as I can tell he's working and only responds to the question when he gets it. At this point it's dead to him and Kojima. The only person it's not dead to is the fans and sad to say, something will have to be done about it eventually. In Japan if Ohtsuka was replaced without notice there would have been an uproar. Seiyuu are hugely important in Japan with Metal Gear probably being one of the most representative forms of japanese voice work in the country that isn't an anime. Kojima wouldn't even be able to show his face at TGS.

It's the latest plothole in the mgs franchise: WHY DID KOJIMA REPLACE DAVID HAYTER?
08-02-2014, 12:17 PM
You have to make a point for me to miss it, cum-dumpster.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

08-02-2014, 03:58 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2014 08:25 PM by Solidsuitlarry.)
(08-02-2014 11:05 AM)SSmiley Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 10:46 AM)Solidsuitlarry Wrote:  

Are you fucking serious?

And what does that have to do with Watchmen? Different people handling different adaptations. A bad movie doesn't guarantee every single one will be just as bad or worse.

His outlook on adaptations aside, Alan Moore really is a loony old bastard.

Quote:And your Connery/Lazenby thing still doesn't make sense, what was the point of even bringing that up? Sure Hayter would probably like to come back i'm sure, but he doesn't seem to feel like he's owed anything or that they need him. He just feels like they dumped him in a shitty way.

As far as being the original actor, Hayter is no Sean Connery in the sense that he's not some mega star that the series has to have where he can call the shots. The studio would rather have Connery than Lazenby. The same is not said for Metal Gear. They clearly wanted Kiefer more.

Quote:Yeah a lot of voice actors get replaced all the time but how many of them have had as much of a personal stake in their respective roles as Hayter had in MGS?

That's the nature of the business. Not limited to just voice acting. His personal attachment to his work is fine, but he doesn't own the character, he doesn't have any influence over the story or where the character goes. He's only paid to act, and the developers found someone who they felt was better suited to play the role. At that point, Hayter can hold out for another callback, but his attitude suggests that he was screwed over. He and all the other actors had to audition back for their roles in later sequels including MGS4. They are paid per project and do not get guaranteed permanent status.

Quote:Again he has every right to be pissed about it and if people ask him his feelings on it or he wants to bitch about it on twitter that's his prerogative.

He has the right, but that's bad for business when you are expecting to come back.

Quote:You seem to be just pissed off that he's unhappy about it at all, like he should just shut down his twitter and refuse to talk about it at all in interviews.

I actually prefer Kiefer so I'm fine with Hayter's meltdown. But all I'm saying is acting professional would be a better alternative to being hired again than behaving unprofessionally.

I'm really beginning to think you are autistic as you keep coming back with the same stupid shit as if you have no understanding of how humans think.

Can you really not understand that Alan Moore has seen his work fucked with so many times by the Hollywood machine that he doesn't have time for Hollywood at all anymore? Is that not getting through to you? Wacky bastard he might be but he's no fool.

Get this through your head as I'm tired of repeating myself David Hayter does not expect to come back. He only compared himself the Connery as being the original, that's it. You're pulling all this "thinks he's a megastar calling the shots" horse shit out of your ass.

"Hayter's meltdown"? Being unhappy about being fired and then being open about it when asked in interviews or making jokes about it on twitter qualifies as a meltdown?
(08-02-2014 11:05 AM)Smiley Wrote:  I actually prefer Kiefer

You don't fucking say.

(08-02-2014 11:27 AM)PsychoVenoM Wrote:  Things

This guy gets it.

08-02-2014, 04:43 PM
(08-02-2014 03:58 PM)Solidsuitlarry Wrote:  I'm really beginning to think you are autistic as you keep coming back with the same stupid shit as if you have no understanding of how humans think.

Ha ha ha, BAM! NAIL'D IT!!! You're my favourite current mang here! I'd give mad Rep for that, but then you'd have more than me and I like the artificial notion of being better than others for some reason. But yeah, you rock!

You remind me of a younger version of myself. Not too much younger though. Possibly even a little older...

...ha ha, anyone remember how much of a panzy bitch I used to be before I started losing it? Ha ha, I read through a bunch of my old posts from '06 through now and tou can actually see me lose it over time, ha ha!

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

08-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Pow, you now have an extra point of rep for admitting that you were going to give me rep then denying me my rep.

08-02-2014, 10:39 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2014 11:39 PM by Smiley.)
(08-02-2014 03:58 PM)Solidsuitlarry Wrote:  Can you really not understand that Alan Moore has seen his work fucked with so many times by the Hollywood machine that he doesn't have time for Hollywood at all anymore?

Who cares? He takes some shitty experiences and uses them as a basis for the entire genre of comic book adaptations. And they've gotten a lot better since the 90s, but he wouldn't know since he closets himself like a fucking hermit.

[Image: exclusive-why-alan-moore-hates-comic-boo...420-75.jpg]

Quote:Get this through your head as I'm tired of repeating myself David Hayter does not expect to come back. He only compared himself the Connery as being the original, that's it. You're pulling all this "thinks he's a megastar calling the shots" horse shit out of your ass.

His interviews have stated a sense of hope that he would hope to return if they ask him. You don't follow up that line of thinking by placing heat on Kojima and Konami. You want different answers? Stop repeating the same argument.

Quote:"Hayter's meltdown"? Being unhappy about being fired and then being open about it when asked in interviews or making jokes about it on twitter qualifies as a meltdown?

His reaction to the point of making a twitter poll himself pre-petition and his drunken appearance over at IGN come off as depressing and pathetic. His constant updates about being disappointed always come around when new MGSV news updates, and it's a shame he has a hard time moving on. Outside Republique (which has been losing steam since launch), his other kickstarter roles didn't work out from failed projects that didn't have enough backers. Clearly, he misses that MGS fame. Meanwhile, Kiefer is jumping on the videogame forefront and dominating the scene with his surprising turn as Big Boss. Expect more roles from him in the future.

08-02-2014, 11:34 PM
In a few years Keifer will say "Metal Gear, yeah I did that shit in japan years ago. What character did I play again? Bad Boss, right?"

I actually don't mind Hayter because his voice is decent and he gives a shit about MGS and its characters. I was hearing Jennifer Hale's interview on the Codec Call and she seemed disappointed about it as well, not to mention she was holding back because it's more personal between her and Hayter. Fine, replace Big Boss' character if you want but give Hayter a proper goodbye so the fans can rest in peace.

Whatever, Keifer is alright as Big Boss but I can understand Hayter being upset about it.
08-02-2014, 11:52 PM
(08-02-2014 12:17 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  You have to make a point for me to miss it, cum-dumpster.

OKAY FUCK YOU THEN
08-03-2014, 12:04 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 12:39 AM by Smiley.)
(08-02-2014 11:34 PM)bchero Wrote:  In a few years Keifer will say "Metal Gear, yeah I did that shit in japan years ago. What character did I play again? Bad Boss, right?"

I actually don't mind Hayter because his voice is decent and he gives a shit about MGS and its characters.

I see this brought up a lot too. It's rubbish. Hayter has already shown before in interviews that he misinterprets the story and characters. Suggesting that Kojima re-write the ending to MGS4 to reflect his view of what Snake would do. Even going so far as believing that The Boss was Snake's actual mother before Ryan Payton had to correct him afterwards. He even admits to skipping the cutscenes after only hearing them once to listen to the performances.

This doesn't mean he isn't a fan of the games, but let's stop pretending he actually fully grasps the MGS lore. He voices the character from the script and would know enough of the basics as any other actor doing the same thing.

As far as being a decent voice for the character? This isn't 2001. Listen to Hayter in MGS1 and 2 and then hear him in Peace Walker. From MGS3 onward, you get a spiraling decline of quality in his voice as he packs on more gravel and less emotion. He sounds more like a caricature of what he used to sound like. It's telling when people were wanting Richard Doyle to take over as Big Boss for Peace Walker and MGSV before news came out that Hayter was actually being replaced by an award-winning actor. And now everyone is quick to assume that this is just another paycheck, and Kiefer has no interest in the game he is working on. It's not like he can discuss the story and characters of the game right now. So far he has shown fascination with using motion capture for the first time to convey his character through more than just his vocal performance.

08-03-2014, 12:11 AM
His voice work never bothered me ever. Ironically the only one that somewhat did was 3.
08-03-2014, 12:51 AM
Well his voice shouldn't really be changing so much. MGS3 was supposed to reflect that of Solid Snake since the character was meant to stir ambiguity and speculation as you play through the game. Twin Snakes was a straight up remake, and the only real changes needed were those that had to be corrected due to mistranslation (such as Naomi and Mei-Ling's accents) and to give Gray Fox a white man's voice. Yet Hayter sounded nothing like he did in the original.

Portable Ops was no different. Another grind for his vocal chords. MGS4 I'll give a pass, because he was directed to sound like his voice was deteriorating (which begs to question as to why since Akio Otsuka doesn't change his performance as drastically as Hayter did), but all Hayter's performance did in the end was worsen how he would sound when it came time to do Peace Walker.

Then you hear the Digital Comics and realize that it's never going to work out because he has to exaggerate and add grit through every line of dialogue which may be fine on silly occasions like Smash Bros, but not during scenes where the story tries to take a dramatic turn. It's all a gargled mess.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)