Gray Fox had his ears and nose cut off?
06-05-2014, 02:45 AM
Gray Fox had his ears and nose cut off?
Gray Fox: "I was being tortured as a RENAMO soldier, and he saved me again. They'd cut off my ears and my nose...

"They'd cut off my ears and my nose..."

Sounds to me like he's saying 'Big Boss saved me. They would cut off my ears and my nose if he didn't'.
That would be supported by the artwork in which his face looks fine.
[Image: Grey.gif][Image: Gray_Fox.jpg][Image: Gray_Fox_%28MG2%29.gif]

Everyone should just shut up for a second.
06-05-2014, 02:56 AM
RE: Gray Fox had his ears and nose cut off?
I thought somebody had already gone to the original Japanese dialogue and it was literally "I had my nose and ears removed" or something.

Here's my counter-offer to your counter-offer: Go Fuck Yourself!
06-05-2014, 05:21 AM
Oh yeah, I was going to take a look at that Japanese text myself. I'm pretty sure it does actually say that his ears and nose were removed, but I'll be sure to actually take a look at it soon. But you're right, the artwork, even the early stuff, doesn't seem to show that.
06-05-2014, 07:31 AM
wouldn't the subsistence verson be the best
06-05-2014, 04:40 PM
Here we go, another translation everyone can ignore again.

(05-27-2014 04:47 PM)Barracks Wrote:  レモナ兵として拷問されていたところを助けられた。その時、俺は鼻も耳もそがれ・・・ひどい状態だった」

"During my second time in Mozambique, I was tortured as a RENAMO soldier. At that time, my nose and ears were removed. I was in a bad state."

EDIT: Though it's written as レモナ (REMONA) here I assume it's RENAMO? Whatever, not really important.

I think I'll put my translated parts in parentheses to make it a bit easier to read.

"Remona (soldier/military) toshite (inquisition by torture) sareteitatokoro wo (help) rareta. Sono (time), (I) wa (nose) mo (ear) mo sogare... Hidoi (state of being) datte."

As far as I can figure out with my skill with Japanese, it says pretty much this:

"While a Remona soldier I was tortured (I don't know what "sareteitatokoro" means and I don't really know how to find out) and helped. At that time, my nose and ears (from my research, "sogare" means "mutilated". It's possible that Barracks is right and that it's supposed to mean "removed", but with my skill, I can't say for certain. I can only assume that he's better with Japanese with me. If you're reading this Barracks, could you clarify this?) were mutilated. I was in a bad state."

So that's pretty much it. Like I said, because of my limited skill with Japanese, I can't say if it's saying that Fox's ears and nose were removed, or just mutilated.
06-05-2014, 06:42 PM
maybe he just had his shit boxed in. A bit lame if you ask me.

Benny Harvey, RIP
06-06-2014, 12:05 AM
Thanks, I guess that settles it.

Everyone should just shut up for a second.
06-07-2014, 10:40 AM
(06-05-2014 04:40 PM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  Here we go, another translation everyone can ignore again.

(05-27-2014 04:47 PM)Barracks Wrote:  レモナ兵として拷問されていたところを助けられた。その時、俺は鼻も耳もそがれ・・・ひどい状態だった」

"During my second time in Mozambique, I was tortured as a RENAMO soldier. At that time, my nose and ears were removed. I was in a bad state."

EDIT: Though it's written as レモナ (REMONA) here I assume it's RENAMO? Whatever, not really important.

I think I'll put my translated parts in parentheses to make it a bit easier to read.

"Remona (soldier/military) toshite (inquisition by torture) sareteitatokoro wo (help) rareta. Sono (time), (I) wa (nose) mo (ear) mo sogare... Hidoi (state of being) datte."

As far as I can figure out with my skill with Japanese, it says pretty much this:

"While a Remona soldier I was tortured (I don't know what "sareteitatokoro" means and I don't really know how to find out) and helped. At that time, my nose and ears (from my research, "sogare" means "mutilated". It's possible that Barracks is right and that it's supposed to mean "removed", but with my skill, I can't say for certain. I can only assume that he's better with Japanese with me. If you're reading this Barracks, could you clarify this?) were mutilated. I was in a bad state."

So that's pretty much it. Like I said, because of my limited skill with Japanese, I can't say if it's saying that Fox's ears and nose were removed, or just mutilated.

"Sogare" means something is forcefully removed. I double-checked with my Japanese friend and she read it as him saying his ears and nose were "ripped off" and that it's a word not commonly used anymore, indicating that Grey Fox is probably old.
06-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Just do a myth article Ravi for Christ's sake.

06-07-2014, 09:32 PM
Nah he should wait it out. one every few months is best. seems like mgs4 pretty much ironed out all standing rumors. Maybe that article on whether mgs4 sucks or not
06-07-2014, 09:48 PM
(06-07-2014 10:40 AM)Barracks Wrote:  "Sogare" means something is forcefully removed. I double-checked with my Japanese friend and she read it as him saying his ears and nose were "ripped off" and that it's a word not commonly used anymore, indicating that Grey Fox is probably old.

Hey, thanks for that. While I've gotten quite a bit better at reading Japanese within the past two years, I'm nowhere near fluent. I was also wondering about this word not being commonly used anymore. Does that have something to do with when the game came out maybe? Or was it not used that much back when this game came out too?
06-07-2014, 10:14 PM
I've been wanting to learn Japanese for so long now that if I had actually just gone through with it in the first place I would be fluent by now.

06-08-2014, 09:03 AM
(06-07-2014 09:48 PM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  
(06-07-2014 10:40 AM)Barracks Wrote:  "Sogare" means something is forcefully removed. I double-checked with my Japanese friend and she read it as him saying his ears and nose were "ripped off" and that it's a word not commonly used anymore, indicating that Grey Fox is probably old.

Hey, thanks for that. While I've gotten quite a bit better at reading Japanese within the past two years, I'm nowhere near fluent. I was also wondering about this word not being commonly used anymore. Does that have something to do with when the game came out maybe? Or was it not used that much back when this game came out too?

That I don't know. I kind of figured he said it because he was an older character, which seems to happen a lot in Japanese games.

(06-07-2014 10:14 PM)Solidsuitlarry Wrote:  I've been wanting to learn Japanese for so long now that if I had actually just gone through with it in the first place I would be fluent by now.

It's not that hard. Grab a text book or something and spend around 30 minutes a day on it. Though, living in Japan for a while helps also.
06-08-2014, 12:57 PM
If it's not a translation problem how likely is it that A) Grey Fox has had it repaired but future cybernetics fail to give him two good eyes... or B) Kojima just doesn't care enough to change it / doesn't remember his own facts when every design and illustration produced since MGS is wrong?

Suck my fat one you cheap dime store hood
06-08-2014, 05:17 PM
(06-08-2014 12:57 PM)Fight the Future Wrote:  If it's not a translation problem how likely is it that A) Grey Fox has had it repaired but future cybernetics fail to give him two good eyes... or B) Kojima just doesn't care enough to change it / doesn't remember his own facts when every design and illustration produced since MGS is wrong?

To be honest I think it's more a case of "this game was made in the 80's/early 90's."

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)