[Gameplay] The Good, the Bad - Discussion/Suggestions
06-15-2014, 10:51 AM
RE: [Gameplay] The Good, the Bad - Discussion/Suggestions
(06-13-2014 10:15 PM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  That's a good point. The length of the alert phase in Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid, and Metal Gear: Ghost Babel was pretty short, so getting caught wasn't as bad. Now they spend a while searching, so that's why it feels so different.

Exactly. The short duration allowed you to fuck around with the alert system and try out different sneaking methods. Now though, all your effort is wasted. If you get caught even once your entire playthrough up to that point was useless.
06-15-2014, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2014 08:46 PM by DarthCaligula.)
Yeah, the thing is that in MGS2 and MGS3 they changed it. So using MGS2 as an example, now they search the area (by the way, I just loved those clearing exercises. One time I played with stealth camouflage and would go into rooms and fire my gun off just to get their attention, and be invisible as they searched each room, just so I could see how they searched every area), but the thing is that it goes like this: You run around an area, you mess up and get caught by a guard. The guard needs to pull out his radio to call his friends, so he'll shoot or kick you if he can, then run off, and all this can attract the attention of his buddies nearby. Now if you're fast enough, you can beat him up before he can call his friends, but there's still the risk of nearby guards calling in some guys to search the area because of the suspicious sounds. It's a long search for you, but you have time to stop the guards from getting their buddies in, but in GZ, it's just "CONTACT!!!!!" and somehow EVERYONE KNOWS that you're there. With the long searching time that follows, it's just totally different.
06-15-2014, 10:13 PM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2014 09:46 PM by Mexican Sting.)
Yeah, MGS2 and 3 had great systems for that. One thing I actually do like in GZ is that, while the alert phase does last longer, you can actually use that to your advantage. If you raise a shit ton of racket in one area of the map it actually draws guards away from their other, more heavily guarded areas, making them easier to sneak into, if you can slip away from the point of last contact. It works with explosives blown up across the map, too.

Edit: Just found this thing on youtube:

He actually details some random problems that probably just weren't accounted for, as well as some advanced techniques I never thought of using, like having a held up guard call their friends. He also gives specifics on neutralization times for all of the maneuvers. Didn't know you could actually beat guards to death if you tried hard enough. Only thing he missed was chaining strikes into throws.

The inability to toss guards into each other unless they're both near a wall is definitely something that should be fixed for TPP.

"When I first played Metal Gear Solid I was but a boy. Then after watching Snake and Meryl ride off into the sunset I was [SIC] suddenly had six hungry mouths to feed and a pile of bills to pay. Metal Gear ruined my childhood."

[Image: foxhoundmg2.gif]
09-07-2015, 09:59 PM
Hey, I'm just bumping this one now that The Phantom Pain is out, and it seems that they didn't do much improvement from GZ.

Also, the images are broken.

Who the fuck even reads signatures these days? Oh right...
09-11-2015, 03:13 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2015 03:14 PM by Nike Schneider.)
(09-07-2015 09:59 PM)DeadSoldier Wrote:  ... it seems that they didn't do much improvement from GZ.

You're joking, right? The rolling alone is already greatly improved and they actually listened to my advice about using binoculars behind cover. Unless of course your issue is that it doesn't play like exactly MGS4 in which case, man are you're going to be miserable during MGO while everyone else is having fun.

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
09-11-2015, 03:27 PM
Did they unfuck the cover system?

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
09-13-2015, 12:31 AM
(09-11-2015 03:27 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  Did they unfuck the cover system?

it actually feels unfinished in some parts.
like some places look totally perfect for cover,
and then you walk/crouch towards never getting into cover.
its a pain in some missions when sticking to cover is absolutely necessary.
speaking of unfucking.
i hope someone unfuckulates the control scheme.
who thought fultoning and climb being the same button was a good idea?
09-13-2015, 06:29 PM
(09-13-2015 12:31 AM)Thats Not Me Wrote:  who thought fultoning and climb being the same button was a good idea?
Or dropping a body/picking up a gun. I've just started throwing everybody with R2 to avoid accidentally picking up a gun I don't want that happens to be right there.

---
Broken bones require different treatment than an infection does
---
PSN ID: DeadByDagger
Gamertag: xDeadByDaggerx
09-13-2015, 08:14 PM
(09-13-2015 06:29 PM)Daggamuffin Wrote:  
(09-13-2015 12:31 AM)Thats Not Me Wrote:  who thought fultoning and climb being the same button was a good idea?
Or dropping a body/picking up a gun. I've just started throwing everybody with R2 to avoid accidentally picking up a gun I don't want that happens to be right there.

i know right,
mgs games to me control super tight with no room for fuck ups like this.
maybe it was intentional?

i mean in mgs4 you had to have your fingers on l1 l2 r1 r2 to view the playboy mags in first person (think about how genius that is)
09-14-2015, 03:38 AM
You needed to be a fucking Yoga guru to control the goddamned FAMAS in Twin Snakes, so it's nothing new, really.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)