[Gameplay] The Good, the Bad - Discussion/Suggestions
06-05-2014, 04:21 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 04:21 PM by Nike Schneider.)
RE: [Gameplay] The Good, the Bad - Discussion/Suggestions
Maybe you can actually use lockers now too.

Tranquilized enemies are indicated by blue Z's which is better than red like the other indicators.

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
06-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Seeing recent footage from TPP, it definitely seems they either heard the feedback and started to add back these much needed features, or GZ was just a really old build that didn't have everything.
Either way, that's really good news. Hopefully now they start working on bettering the alert system. In my opinion, it's the most jarring issue left.
06-12-2014, 03:35 PM
According to someone on Reddit who claims to have seen gameplay:

Quote:-Here the player allows himself to be discovered, and “misses” the shot during reflex mode. -I noticed that the “alert” phase did not start IMMEDIATELY, right after he missed, the enemy seemed to have hit an alarm that he carried(?) -Snake switches to his assault rifles and kills the guy, seconds after, we hear the radio chatter for calling reinforcements.

http://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/c...wice_here/

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
06-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Yeah, that sounds really good. But before we can test it further and see to what extent the alert mechanics changed, I think there might be a chance it could still be close to what it was in GZ, rather than MGS2/MGS3. Makes me feel like they might have made slight adjustments, rather than a full rework of the mechanics.
Cause it sounds like the guard needs to press a button to call in the alert, but isn't that the same as just yelling ? To me, what matters isn't the way they call in - whether it's by yelling or by pressing a button - but the actual way the alert spreads. If all the other guards still magically know your exact whereabouts, it's no different to me.
Perhaps it only zeroes on the first guard's last known location, which would be a much clever way to handle it.

Although if the animation of the guard reaching for the button is a bit longer than GZ's current yell (and thus a bit more forgiving), that would already be an improvement, as that would allow no Reflex players to actually have a chance to work the situation around when spotted. As things currently are in GZ, you're pretty much forced to use Reflex if you want to stand a chance most of the time, which is my biggest gripe.

Icing on the cake would be to be able to damage the device the guards use to call it in, just like in MGS2/3. Dunno if they'd be willing to bring this back though, as it could be considered game breaking to some.
06-12-2014, 06:20 PM
I still think they should put in the work for yelling to have to spread within earshot of nearby guards. Radioing would be ideal, and makes the most sense; alerts should spread from guard, to CP (as well as nearby guards), then to all guards after they're radioed. I can't imagine they didn't try to implement it that way already, though, so maybe it's a little too forgiving. I guess the biggest problem is that reflex mode on top of a system like that complicates things.

It actually might work a little better if they took out the slo-mo, but they hyped that up enough already, that revising it so much might confuse GZ fans.

"When I first played Metal Gear Solid I was but a boy. Then after watching Snake and Meryl ride off into the sunset I was [SIC] suddenly had six hungry mouths to feed and a pile of bills to pay. Metal Gear ruined my childhood."

[Image: foxhoundmg2.gif]
06-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Seriously, go back to the Snake Eater style. Groups of soldiers walking around with one (or maybe now two) radio guys. I thought it was great like that. It also makes more sense to me considering the time it takes place and the setting. All of the Gurlukovich guys having radios makes more sense for the 90's or later and in a place like the Big Shell.
06-13-2014, 04:41 AM
(06-12-2014 07:14 PM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  Seriously, go back to the Snake Eater style. Groups of soldiers walking around with one (or maybe now two) radio guys. I thought it was great like that. It also makes more sense to me considering the time it takes place and the setting. All of the Gurlukovich guys having radios makes more sense for the 90's or later and in a place like the Big Shell.

This. Sick and tired of playing through GZ with that garbage ass Reflex Mode just because the alert system took a shit. Just go back to the MGS4/PW system immediately, which wasn't broken to begin with.
06-13-2014, 05:01 AM
Honestly I just turned reflex mode off. I only used it for my first play through and just felt gross using it.
06-13-2014, 07:21 AM
I tried playing it with the HUD/tagging/reflex and all the rest of that shit off once, and now that's the only way I play it now.

"When I first played Metal Gear Solid I was but a boy. Then after watching Snake and Meryl ride off into the sunset I was [SIC] suddenly had six hungry mouths to feed and a pile of bills to pay. Metal Gear ruined my childhood."

[Image: foxhoundmg2.gif]
06-13-2014, 08:22 PM
Maybe I should do that too.... I admit, I still use reflex mode. I mean, it's the only way you have any chance of stopping everyone from coming in, but then again, the old Metal Gears pretty much worked the same way as no reflex mode, so I should just do it I guess.
06-13-2014, 09:34 PM
Playing without Reflex for me is impossible with this new alert system. I'd love to get caught in the older games since before that wouldn't trigger an instant base-wide alert. Even when it did the alert only lasted, at most, 45 seconds. Now you gotta sit there for two minutes waiting for the goddamn search to be called off.

Either you play by Kojima's new rules or you avoid being caught completely. The latter kills the fun.
06-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Seriously, no reflex is the only way to play. Reflex mode is pussy baby mode.

Benny Harvey, RIP
06-13-2014, 10:15 PM
(06-13-2014 09:34 PM)Venom_Shriveler Wrote:  Playing without Reflex for me is impossible with this new alert system. I'd love to get caught in the older games since before that wouldn't trigger an instant base-wide alert. Even when it did the alert only lasted, at most, 45 seconds. Now you gotta sit there for two minutes waiting for the goddamn search to be called off.

Either you play by Kojima's new rules or you avoid being caught completely. The latter kills the fun.

That's a good point. The length of the alert phase in Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid, and Metal Gear: Ghost Babel was pretty short, so getting caught wasn't as bad. Now they spend a while searching, so that's why it feels so different.
06-13-2014, 11:03 PM
Didn't I read insta-alerts are gone come TPP ?
06-13-2014, 11:05 PM
Someone on reddit who saw the closed demo twice said there seemed to be a short window when the player was spotted. A guard pulled out a radio to call an alert, but I could be wrong.

Benny Harvey, RIP

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)