[Gameplay] The Good, the Bad - Discussion/Suggestions
04-07-2014, 05:46 PM
RE: [Gameplay] The Good, the Bad - Discussion/Suggestions
I think someone else said this first, but the guards going into alert right when they see you makes perfect sense! It's tying back up to the first three games! In Metal Gear to Metal Gear Solid, they'd go into alert right when they saw you, but then I bet Cypher used nanomachines to get rid of this ability that Big Boss and Liquid were exploiting, so then they had to go back to using radios! It all makes sense now!

Also, this might be a minor thing, but the whole thing where guards will kind of teleport into Big Boss's arms when you use CQC in certain situations just feels weird. I know it's a game, but it just kind of takes me out of it, especially since in MGS3 and 4 it never did that.
04-07-2014, 11:00 PM
(04-07-2014 05:46 PM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  I think someone else said this first, but the guards going into alert right when they see you makes perfect sense! It's tying back up to the first three games! In Metal Gear to Metal Gear Solid, they'd go into alert right when they saw you, but then I bet Cypher used nanomachines to get rid of this ability that Big Boss and Liquid were exploiting, so then they had to go back to using radios! It all makes sense now!

Yeah that was me, wouldn't surprise me if that was his reasoning too.

Crazy Japanese bastard.
04-08-2014, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2014 12:49 PM by Mexican Sting.)
I think he was being facetious. At least, I hope so.

"When I first played Metal Gear Solid I was but a boy. Then after watching Snake and Meryl ride off into the sunset I was [SIC] suddenly had six hungry mouths to feed and a pile of bills to pay. Metal Gear ruined my childhood."

[Image: foxhoundmg2.gif]
04-09-2014, 03:22 PM

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
04-09-2014, 08:30 PM
(04-09-2014 03:22 PM)Punished Singh Wrote:  
Lawl. Maybe they should fix that, too.

I seem to encounter issues like this in the AA emplacement mission. Though, I don't kick people awake and unconscious; sometimes it goes back to normal, then alert, sometimes back and forth, though I believe this is dependent on whether or not you caused suspicion. The fact that the place is on alert for the remainder of the mission could have something to do with this bug.

[Image: dct_header_SIGN-300x67.jpg] [Image: ZazzleZodiacs.png]
"The only prayer I will say for you is this : Whatever hell awaits you, it won't be long before you see it."
COD:BO Official Website (with Community forums)
[Image: TwitterIcon.gif] [Image: FacebookIcon.gif] [Image: YouTubeIcon.gif]
04-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I noticed that too. Once the place is on alert it keeps saying normal then alert. Whatever, I just assume it's alert all the time. I actually did this mission today, finally saving the agent Miller talked about.
04-10-2014, 04:55 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2014 05:06 AM by SoulEaterSquish.)
Thank you for this thread, it definitely deserves more attention. Someone linked to it on the MGS subreddit, and that's how I came across it.
Just retweeted you, hope Kojima sees this. Made an account here just to thank you, heh.

At one point you say there's not a noticable difference in how the holdup mechanics work, which I would say is incorrect. I love how it works now. You can ready your gun and then walk towards them, and Snake will hold them up when you get in proximity. In previous games [I don't have a ps3, so no MGS4] you had to be close to them /and then/ pull your gun out. I'd say what we have now is indeed an improvement from what we had before.

I agree with your button mapping changes, [I'll talk PlayStation controls here] X would make a great leap button, and so [] would be good for picking up bodies, and O for guns. That would have worked brilliantly, and as you said, would fix the whole instastop from sprinting. This whole post seems very well thought out, good going on that front.

I also agree with the whole climbing things issue, and how Snake automatically climbs up when sometimes you just want him to hang. Throwing people off of the watch towers is nice, and surely that animation could be reused in many different places, that'd be cool. It's strange they're going about it this way, I guess, as you say, just to streamline the whole thing.

The one thing that I do dislike about the game the most, is of course the telepathic guards and alert statuses. Kojima wanted a 'stealth simulator' with lots of different elements for people to play around with, which I absolutely love. Remember that one area in MGS3 just before you fight The End that is completely optional? That one hut felt like an entire playground. I see Camp Omega as one massive version of that, and I love it. Thing is, I can't go around and shoot out every single guard's radio, or I can't disarm every single enemy [Why do guards have infinite amounts of pistols? I want to disarm them and have them run to safety]. I'm not trying to be too negative, for example I imagine calling in a helicopter to get the guards looking at something other than you would be a great tactic, stuff like that is nice.

I also think there should be something you can do if you're seen in a vehicle. As it is, I'm seen driving, then boom, what does the game recommend I do? Look at the guy that's seen me! Brilliant, nice and useful. Just what I'm after. Couldn't look out of the window and get a nice shot, I've gotta jump out the left side of the vehicle [Which is probably the wrong side], wait for the rolling animation to stop and by that time the guard would have telepathically told every other guard in the base that there's an awful driver that just jumped out of a truck doing nothing to defend himself! Wink
There's next to no reason in getting in a Jeep currently, as you just know you're going to be spotted unless you
1) Know your run perfectly
2) Throw a smoke grenade in the back to trick the guards into acting differently when you come close. [Which is totally game breaking by the way, they should suspect you /more/ if there's a trail of smoke following a jeep around, surely?]

Sorry about the dodgy read, I've kinda just wrote this wanting to get my issues down, I'll consider re-writing it soon!
Thank you again for the thread, and I hope someone working on TPP sees the tweets.

Edit: Now that I think about it, GZ has pretty much worked out as a feautureful beta. It shows what we like, what we don't like, and the team working on the full game can act accordingly, AND they got money out of us, not bad eh?!
04-10-2014, 05:35 AM
(04-10-2014 04:55 AM)SoulEaterSquish Wrote:  Thank you for this thread, it definitely deserves more attention. Someone linked to it on the MGS subreddit, and that's how I came across it.
Just retweeted you, hope Kojima sees this. Made an account here just to thank you, heh.

Wow, that's just awesome. Thank you very much SoulEater, for reading and also for your feedback. I'm glad this article was able to reach out to people.

(04-10-2014 04:55 AM)SoulEaterSquish Wrote:  At one point you say there's not a noticable difference in how the holdup mechanics work, which I would say is incorrect. I love how it works now. You can ready your gun and then walk towards them, and Snake will hold them up when you get in proximity. In previous games [I don't have a ps3, so no MGS4] you had to be close to them /and then/ pull your gun out. I'd say what we have now is indeed an improvement from what we had before.

That's a good point, although the improvement you're talking about definitely comes from MGS4. It was also a viable mechanic in MGO.

(04-10-2014 04:55 AM)SoulEaterSquish Wrote:  I agree with your button mapping changes, [I'll talk PlayStation controls here] X would make a great leap button, and so [] would be good for picking up bodies, and O for guns. That would have worked brilliantly, and as you said, would fix the whole instastop from sprinting. This whole post seems very well thought out, good going on that front.

Thank you.
I like your idea about the X and buttons, that's exactly how I would remap this ... unfortunately, I know many players wouldn't like to go back to the "old" button scheme regarding the dive (assuming you're referring to the dive roll / dive by "leap" ?)
Body and weapon pickup would definitely gain from it. I hope they come to their senses and fix that.

(04-10-2014 04:55 AM)SoulEaterSquish Wrote:  I also agree with the whole climbing things issue, and how Snake automatically climbs up when sometimes you just want him to hang. Throwing people off of the watch towers is nice, and surely that animation could be reused in many different places, that'd be cool. It's strange they're going about it this way, I guess, as you say, just to streamline the whole thing.

Yes, that's something that's always been bothering me. Definitely a step back in my opinion. Which is a shame, cause fixing it would be quite easy.

(04-10-2014 04:55 AM)SoulEaterSquish Wrote:  Now that I think about it, GZ has pretty much worked out as a feautureful beta. It shows what we like, what we don't like, and the team working on the full game can act accordingly, AND they got money out of us, not bad eh?!

True. I wish they used GZ as an actual beta and listen to player feedback to fix the retail version (TPP). I mean, the game is still at least one year away, so there's still hope.
04-10-2014, 08:03 AM
(04-06-2014 05:07 PM)Ren Fujin Wrote:  • Jump forward (contextual)

In MGSV, the character can now perform a forward leap, to grab a ledge for instance. Done with when sprinting (L3).

[Image: jump.gif]

This didn't exist in previous games, and it's a welcomed addition, although it's contextual : The character can't simply jump forward from the ground, and it can only be done by sprinting toward the edge of something.

From my experience, you don't have to be sprinting to jump. You just run normally and it should work.

Also, unless I'm blind and completely overlooked it, you didn't mention how you can throw bodies that you carry by pressing (360 controls) RT and B while running. It makes it a lot easier to dispose of bodies by throwing them over the cliff. You can even throw the prisoners, but it didn't work when I tried to throw Chico or Paz.
04-10-2014, 10:07 AM
I've been wondering how that works. Couldn't find an answer in any of the help/loading screens. I'll have to try that.

"When I first played Metal Gear Solid I was but a boy. Then after watching Snake and Meryl ride off into the sunset I was [SIC] suddenly had six hungry mouths to feed and a pile of bills to pay. Metal Gear ruined my childhood."

04-12-2014, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2014 09:48 AM by Solid Snake.)
You can't reload while crawling, which is bollocks. I can't be the only one who finds this severely annoying. Like even if the reload animation is 9/10 complete and you hit the left stick the reload will be aborted.

I've heard you can view the i-pod map thingy while still being able to move about, but does anyone know how you actually do that?

I really despise the lack of leaning. I don't even know why it's not included since the d-pad has no function while aiming. Similarly with the rolling, they should have set it to the d-pad, as if you hit L3 before holding a direction you can end up standing up.

The d-pad is terrible for choosing items. It's pretty difficult to toggle weapons in a firefight while you're running about. Additionally the GUI for it is pretty annoying being right in the middle of the screen and taking so long to vanish after it's use. The classic weapon/item menus are far superior in my opinion. I really loved being able to flick through three weapons. Seriously try quickly throwing a grenade in a battle, it's impossible.

I couldn't agree more that they really need to not have the same button for picking up weapons as picking up bodies. It's really bad.

I don't understand why you can't stay on the chopper after putting an NPC in it. It just looks stupid seeing the legendary Big Boss jump out, turn one eighty, then climb back in the chopper...

I don't think you can attach C4 to vehicles (though I've only tried on moving ones).
I don't know why since you can attach it to guards.

There's a bug when you do a CQC-disarm-holdup, were the game enters reflex mode.

Does anyone have any idea what the flares are actually for? Do they work any differently to the droid?

I really like how the guards aren't completely blind and how the hard difficulty is reasonably challenging. However, there was one occasion where a guard spotted me through an object. I shouted "What the fuck!", killed everyone and then stood exactly where he was standing, entered first person and looked at where I was at the time, and all I could see was a sheet of wood 2" from my face.

The actor draw distance exceeds the object draw distance (I'm on the PS3), this has led to several occasions when I've been trying to shoot a yank through a pile of boxes that I can't see.

The effective range/aiming is broken. Sometimes when you're still in effective range the crosshair won't change colour, this leads to you thinking you're out of range and repeatedly shooting above your target to compensate for non-existent bullet drop.

It would have been nice to have better control customisation options; mainly altering which shoulder buttons aim/fire. I don't understand the logic behind the alternate control configurations.

The lack of knocking is illogical. Now if you want to lead a guard to investigate your current location, you either have to shoot or throw an empty magazine at your feet (providing you haven't swapped them out for another item).

I really love the lethal headshot noise!

I still have some more tests to do, so I'll probably be back with more complaints.

Edit: Also your text codes aren't working, the first sentence I wrote large, but it's displaying as normal sized.

Time Paradox
04-12-2014, 10:56 AM
(04-12-2014 09:46 AM)Solid Snake Wrote:  I don't understand why you can't stay on the chopper after putting an NPC in it. It just looks stupid seeing the legendary Big Boss jump out, turn one eighty, then climb back in the chopper...

Yeah ya can... just hit triangle instead of circle.
04-12-2014, 11:45 PM
Yep.

Quote:I don't think you can attach C4 to vehicles (though I've only tried on moving ones).
I don't know why since you can attach it to guards.

You can... not sure what you're doing wrong.

Quote:There's a bug when you do a CQC-disarm-holdup, were the game enters reflex mode.

Not sure that's really a bug... since they are technically spotting you. Does an alert still sound even if you held them up?

Quote:Does anyone have any idea what the flares are actually for? Do they work any differently to the droid?
The flare grenades call the chopper to wherever you throw it, it's actually super fun. It'll show up and follow you around the base and give you support fire. It'll land if you get near a zone, but it'll take off and cover you again if you don't get on, whereas I think the iDroid is only for landing (though I think Morpho might still take off if he needs to defend himself).

On that note, am I the only one who wishes I could just order the chopper to fly me to another spot when I get in, and not just take me out of the mission? Maybe they're saving that for TPP.

04-18-2014, 04:40 AM
(04-07-2014 12:52 AM)Mexican Sting Wrote:  I agree about the alert phases, big time. The way it currently works makes sense, when you factor in reflex mode, but take that away and it isn't balanced at all. What makes it worse is that we get rewarded points for not using reflex mode.

Really, it would be more balanced if the game just followed more real world logic. I.E., there's a range of hearing for each guard, and if they hear a gunshot or another guard yell within that range, they investigate, or radio before the alert phase can start.

Another thing that I'm not sure the folks over at KojiPro really planned for... is that actual accidents can occur. There should be a way for the game to keep track of, not just that an enemy is injured, but who/what injured it.

Case in point: one time I was sneaking near the road, completely hidden, when I witnessed a guy in a jeep straight up commit vehicular manslaughter on another guard who was walking in the road. The driver got out, inspected the body and then called in an alert phase because he "found a dead body."

Funny as fuck, but definitely showed off some problems with the A.I. I've also seen guards inspect random noises that just kind of occur on their own, when say a car or guard knocks something over.

Altough I'm in the same boat with your opinion about enemys A.I. I find it kind of logical that the guard made an alert, if you think the situation from another perspective. Guard rams over his comrade and if others find out about his actions he would probably get executed, so he makes an alert and causes everyone believing that someone else killed the guard and gets his arse saved about the case. Yes it seems stupid to see a guard kill his comrade because of A.I.Confused weird action, of course people make mistakes (driver might have been tired or so) but it seems so weird. From this perpective that case might make some sense.
04-18-2014, 05:19 AM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2014 05:19 AM by Solidsuitlarry.)
Or...it's bad A.I.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)