[Gameplay] The Good, the Bad - Discussion/Suggestions
04-07-2014, 06:23 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2014 06:36 AM by Ren Fujin.)
RE: [Gameplay] The Good, the Bad - Discussion/Suggestions
(04-06-2014 08:57 PM)Punished Singh Wrote:  Have you sent this to Konami, Kojima, and/or Ken yet?

Yeah I did tweet it to them ...
https://twitter.com/Ren_Fujin/status/452990251280367616
but I'm not sure how effective a single tweet can be.
Perharps we'd get more chances to reach out for them if more people did it ... ?
04-07-2014, 07:00 AM
[Image: cqcwall.gif]
I like how BB spins back into position after slamming the guy's cranium into the wall. Hell that's all it is is a spin. So graceful. Smile

Oh and someone mentioned that incident where someone ran over a marine; this may've happened in the Ground Zeroes mission, no? It has for me, twice. It's silly, but it shows an error in the enemy AI system. Though, the driver didn't call CP about it; he just looked at the body for a minute or less, then hopped back into the Jeep and drove off.

[Image: dct_header_SIGN-300x67.jpg] [Image: ZazzleZodiacs.png]
"The only prayer I will say for you is this : Whatever hell awaits you, it won't be long before you see it."
COD:BO Official Website (with Community forums)
[Image: TwitterIcon.gif] [Image: FacebookIcon.gif] [Image: YouTubeIcon.gif]
04-07-2014, 07:29 AM
I think what they should do with the alert system is maybe when reflex mode is turned off they use the MGS2/MGS3 system. At the same time, this may make it easier for some people than even reflex mode. So I'm honestly not sure. I do certainly agree that having alerts triggered simply by someone yelling "CONTACT!" in completion is strange. Maybe they're supposed to be yelling it into the radio?

(04-07-2014 05:53 AM)UpSideDownGRUNT Wrote:  Another problem I have is crawling in a duct, Snake doesn't always crawl straight in, sometimes he'll just crouch or the crawl won't register and he'll just walk over duct rather than getting in and I'm hold A every time that needs a serious fix.

This is because of the shitty cover system. But yes, I found this to be an issue as well.

Anyone else who has no idea what we're talking about, skip to 3:37 in this video:

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
04-07-2014, 07:53 AM
(04-07-2014 07:29 AM)Punished Singh Wrote:  I think what they should do with the alert system is maybe when reflex mode is turned off they use the MGS2/MGS3 system. At the same time, this may make it easier for some people than even reflex mode. So I'm honestly not sure.

You got that right. No matter how you put it, it will always come back to Reflex Mode. I'm not sure why they decided to implement such a feature to begin with. If the game was too hard, they could have just reverted back to the radio system from MGS2/3, which nobody had issues with. Once again, don't try to fix what's not broken ...

I do agree the enemy AI has much room for improvement, also.
What DarthCaligula said about hiding in the weapon caches and no enemy ever attempting to come inside happened to me multiple times. If this was MGS2 you'd have dudes with shields and shotguns storming the place to flush you out.
Ever tried cutting down the power in the admin building ? You could just do it and wait for a guard to come, throw a mag to distract him and once he's done checking the noise (and reporting it to CP) he will also magically forget he was coming to check on the power outage to begin with.

The AI definitely feels much worse than the previous games'.
04-07-2014, 07:55 AM
(04-07-2014 07:53 AM)Ren Fujin Wrote:  You got that right. No matter how you put it, it will always come back to Reflex Mode. I'm not sure why they decided to implement such a feature to begin with. If the game was too hard, they could have just reverted back to the radio system from MGS2/3, which nobody had issues with. Once again, don't try to fix what's not broken ...

Modern gaming.

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
04-07-2014, 08:35 AM
(04-07-2014 06:23 AM)Ren Fujin Wrote:  Yeah I did tweet it to them ...
https://twitter.com/Ren_Fujin/status/452990251280367616
but I'm not sure how effective a single tweet can be.
Perharps we'd get more chances to reach out for them if more people did it ... ?

I tweeted your post to him too.

Your review is really nice and summarizes pretty well the way I feel about the game, the only thing I disagree is with the new controls to change weapons. Previously, I could easily change weapons while walking without problems, now I have to use the awful "claw grip". It's not a deal breaker, but I liked much more the old way, with the shoulder buttons. And I couldn't even imagine how worse is for the Xbox players.
04-07-2014, 08:56 AM
Thank you Boss Borot Smile Much appreciated.

Actually, I do have a slight preference for the old inventory, but I was trying to remain as objective as possible writing this article, and the new inventory isn't objectively bad. It gets the job done, and it might be a step back only for things like quick equip / recall.
Since you now have to make sure the weapon you want to quick equip is the next one in the same slot of the one you currently wield, which takes a while getting used to.

Still, I really enjoy having all weapons appear on the character. A really nice little touch, but on the other hand, it's just too bad they dropped the weapon weight mechanic. In MGS4 you'd move a lot slower carrying a rifle, for instance.
04-07-2014, 09:11 AM
The inventory made me remember something. Can we customize how the assault rifle shoots (single, burst, rapid) like we were able to in MGS4? If not, is this simply reflective of the specific type of rifle Old Snake used vs what Big Boss uses in GZ?

04-07-2014, 09:15 AM
I don't think it's possible to set the fire mode, unfortunately. Then again, GZ seems to lack any type of weapon customization when compared to PW. I think it's just something they purposefully left out for the time being while it will be back in TPP.
You can toggle the light on the rifle on and off on the fly, though.
04-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Another change I miss that I don't think has been mentioned-- when holding someone up, you can't get items from them! In MGS2 you did it by pointing your gun at their head or crotch, and in MGS4 you did a pat down. This would have been nice.

I do like the option to have the enemy 'call for backup'.

I miss knocking the most.

I'm impressed the most by the character animations-- even something as simple as Snake sticking his hand out to cushion himself when you run straight at a wall is a lovely dose of realism.
04-07-2014, 09:34 AM
(04-07-2014 09:25 AM)iBrews Wrote:  Another change I miss that I don't think has been mentioned-- when holding someone up, you can't get items from them! In MGS2 you did it by pointing your gun at their head or crotch, and in MGS4 you did a pat down. This would have been nice.

Oh yeah, being able to search guards. I think they dropped that since the point was to get items such as rations, and those no longer exist. And for ammo, since you can just get some from the weapons they drop, that would explain why this didn't make a return.
I do miss it though. Was fun, especially doing it to other players as Snake in MGO. I'd like the patting to wake up people to be brought back, though. Having to kick them is fun, but it's also much more dangerous since you're standing still while doing it.
04-07-2014, 09:39 AM
(04-07-2014 07:55 AM)Punished Singh Wrote:  
(04-07-2014 07:53 AM)Ren Fujin Wrote:  You got that right. No matter how you put it, it will always come back to Reflex Mode. I'm not sure why they decided to implement such a feature to begin with. If the game was too hard, they could have just reverted back to the radio system from MGS2/3, which nobody had issues with. Once again, don't try to fix what's not broken ...
Modern gaming.
I underlined and bolded the text, just to remind everyone that such is what pretty much dictates how games are going to be in the future, and Metal Gear is no exception. I just hope the series continues to retain its individuality without having to make at least too many conformities...

....oh, and about the alert system, to me it's kind of unrealistic, if compared to the previous MGS games. In the previous MGS games, if a soldier caught you, he would either call for backup or get someone else to call for backup. But here, in Ground Zeroes, if someone catches you, the whole damn place is on alert instantaneously. I know they yell when they catch you, but it's not like the whole island can hear someone yell "Contact!" or "Intruder!" or such. This has nothing to do with difficulties or anything, though it has the potential to be frustrating. How do we deal with it? Should we play pretend and think that these marines all share some special link of sorts, so that the others see what one marine sees or some kooky shit like that? C'mon now; this is 1975 and these are just regular marines.
MGS back in 1998 was set up like that too, actually....but, er, that was different. The hardware used to portray the game could only do so much, and the next generation offered new ways (and tactics) to portray elements like getting caught by a sentry who'd request backup.

"The only prayer I will say for you is this : Whatever hell awaits you, it won't be long before you see it."
04-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Wow, nice article! Great gifs also, makes this really easy to understand all your points!

The Times Wrote:
Punished Shinobi
A Member who lost his Past
[Image: 2r77bkm.jpg]
04-07-2014, 01:22 PM
This kind of thing should be getting featured on a site that does "best of the community" type things, if not as a proper article. Nobody has even bothered talking about it in this kind of detail.

Suck my fat one you cheap dime store hood
04-07-2014, 01:41 PM
(04-07-2014 01:22 PM)Fight the Future Wrote:  This kind of thing should be getting featured on a site that does "best of the community" type things, if not as a proper article. Nobody has even bothered talking about it in this kind of detail.
I agree. I myself Retweeted the post, and I do hope KojiPro is paying attention to these things. I mean, they probably aren't, but it never hurts to wonder if they are....though even if they did they probably have billions of posts to go through, at least all of which are sent to them. Let's hope they look at this, but that it actually gets their attention and might just cause them to contemplate making amendments to the game's mechanics.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)