Frank's spoilerless MGSv impressions
03-13-2014, 06:52 PM
RE: Frank's spoilerless MGSv impressions
I'd say if it comes to PC at all that'd guarantee some sort of MGS5: Complete Edition.
03-13-2014, 07:15 PM
(03-13-2014 06:52 PM)Solidsuitlarry Wrote:  I'd say if it comes to PC at all that'd guarantee some sort of MGS5: Complete Edition.

I'd say so.
03-13-2014, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2014 08:23 PM by FRANKASTER.)
PC might show up 8-16 months after release ala MGR... considering konami want to get every single penny out of this we might get ground zeroes for 15 USD.. on steam

well finally I got all the XOF patches and proceeded to play the deja vu mission

NO FA-MAS
NO FIXED CAMERA
NO TAPPY THEME (on a good note something sounding like poor man's version of MGS1 game over plays when you die, and the VR-Missions success theme plays when you had a flashback

Heart broken... but besides that is the only mission of the game that trows you without items so it spices up the tired (for me) guantanamo formula... also the flashbacks... are like MGS4's just a flashing jpeg file... they could have used MGS4's Moses HD model but lazy koji-pro has been always lazy in that matter...

[Image: banner.jpg]
03-13-2014, 08:35 PM
I don't know how much you feel free to describe the deja vu mission while avoiding spoilers, but I'll risk asking how long is it exactly?
03-14-2014, 03:49 PM
(03-10-2014 07:19 PM)FRANKASTER Wrote:  [Image: 10006598_721459837898738_1686217167_n.jpg]

What the fuck? They brought back the restart count from Portable Ops? Didn't they get rid of that shit on Peace Walker?

Who the fuck even reads signatures these days? Oh right...
03-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Ok I have finished the dejavu mission.. and like alway's there's some missinformation... miller says that you need to recreate a scene to finish the mission, but you have to do ALL of them... also there's HD snake, and everything is the standard GZ assets... at the end they do--- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX that make me sick followed by a quiz of basic trivia from MGS1 if you answer all correctly... you unlock Solid snake skin so you have to go again but this time but this time is "different everyone uses MGS1 low poly models" also by this time with MGS1 snake you have to play in HARD finish everything AGAIN and after getting all the "harder" questions correct you get a new skin of snake in XXXXXXXX suit

03-15-2014, 11:12 AM
Wow.... I wonder if Jamais Vu has something similar, but it seems more mindless action.
03-16-2014, 12:34 AM
Even though I am not a fan of Raiden, I am looking forward to that content more due to the Snatcher reference/Cameo
03-17-2014, 06:45 AM
well Deja Vu missions was very offensive... why I don't make a FULL SPOILER REVIEW tomorrow?

03-17-2014, 10:10 AM
(03-17-2014 06:45 AM)FRANKASTER Wrote:  well Deja Vu missions was very offensive... why I don't make a FULL SPOILER REVIEW tomorrow?
Offensive to fans?
03-17-2014, 05:08 PM
I don't think Deja Vu was supposed to be anything spectacular. I think it was just supposed to be a nod to fans who played MGS1 to celebrate the anniversary of the release or something. But it is sad to hear that it's not going to be very good. I'm assuming the Snakes unlocked are:

Regular Completion MGS1 - Sneaking Suit
Hard Completion MGS1 - Tuxedo

But I could be wrong about that? Can you give an example of some of the questions?

I speak English, Japanese, and Spanish... I still have no fucking clue what you just said.
03-17-2014, 05:18 PM
...The Promised Time has come... Time to kick back and enjoy some classic MGS Tunes...

Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater OP Theme

Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater ED Theme

Metal Gear Solid Portable OPS ED Theme

Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker ED Theme

Metal Gear Solid ED Theme

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots OP Theme

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots ED Theme

03-17-2014, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2014 07:42 PM by FRANKASTER.)
ok hows ready for the "in deerp" review...

I'll look into de good, the bad and the ugly:

THE GOOD:
1.THE CONTROLS: it seems kojima has finally found a balance betwen classic MGS controls while modernizing them... snake can change from crawling to walking and vice versa easily without messing the ritm of your movements, also the binoculars replace the 1st person view and it's really helpful while tagging enemies... (the game only acknowledges when you turn off the reflex mode, turning off the tagged enemies won't affect score)
snake can run unrealisticly fast so you will literally won't need a vehicle to travel around the base...

2.User Interface: at first I was sad for letting go the classic rolling menu but since the character can oly carry the same stuff he does in MPW the digital pad now get's this up: main weapon Right: granades/c4/mags Down gun, left goggles and other items that are not available in GZ, if you press quickly one of them you can either swap item or turn it on and off, and holding the button you open small selection screen where you can select other weapon and turn ON and OFF certain features like silencer and flashlight

3:Graphics: the models I can say they have the same quality as MGS4 (there's no tall grass so All we get is some pretty low res follage)
but what really shines here is the illumination, it gives a great sense of dimension and even when some areas have low res terrain... the lightting compensates and even makes the game to look a lot more alive and not dull and sterile like MGS4's levels... also all the enemies have different faces except prisioners, they all have BDSM masks on them... except chico since he's special... or Paz

4:Tension:triggering an alert in hard difficulty it usually means immediate death... unless you rush out from the place you were spotted also a glad return from MGS2's Clearing soldiers (most of the IA behavior is a improved MGS2 version they talk with radios and enemies actually come from somewhere from the base to assist, they look for you, they trow grenades if you hide in a drainage tunnel, they have better sights and sometimes they travel in groups or there's always a dude in a tower watching
5: Scale: even for being a small base the place is big enough to encourage exploration (there's even the XOF patches for that matter) but also brings me to

BAD:
LACK OF SOUL: the base is what you expect... and knowing the attention to detail that past MGS had before MPO now is the form to have highly detailed environments but lacking what made previous games special... for example on MGS2 soldiers had posters and stuff, they listened to music and did random things... here just to give the illusion of being alive when a couple of soldiers are together and you close or pepping with the scope they had a small conversation... and that only happens on the main story mode because plot exposition or "building" the story... but feels more scripted when soldiers do something else than patrolling, I know in the past they were scripted but sometimes they shifted turns or went to the bathroom, sometimes a certain soldier might get a certain truck and get a little raid in the base but it will always happen unles you neutralize him or stole the truck... and if you stole it he just might find a patrolling place for the rest of eternity there's no posters, no messages, nothing that stands out from this photo-realistic base...

MPO extraction returns... only in GZ but is kind of tedious having to drag 5 prisoners from one point to the other then loading each one of them individually to the chopper... also its better to gatter all hidden on the landing zone so you have to call the chopper only once specially since it take 3 minutes to arrive... but konami wanted to make this a little longer no wonder why they didn't used fulton... also one thing I noticed... HOW AWESOME THIS OPEN MAP WOULD BE IF IT HAD CO-OPS...

TALKING ABOUT MPO:::
SNAKE'S REVENGE FAKE DOORS RETURN at full force
[Image: 1978525_725420844169304_1251373157_o.jpg]
you can't enter there but you can turn off the lights... the only real effect is that enemy sight is sightly less accurate and surveillance cameras are off...

I wanted to sneak in offices and corridors inside of a military admin building and all i got are fake doors...

THEY'RE MORE GROUND ZEROES RELATED CUTSCENES IN THE TRAILERS THAN IN THE GAME ITSELF
the cutscenes can be clocked at 25 minutes and the 1st 15 minutes are from the PAX 2012 trailer... and it ens so abruptly.. if you wanted to see the cardio massage scene, or skull face with his troops arriving at mother base or a bloody big boss looking at mother base in flames you'll have to wait until 2015 it felt so rushed that after the scene when they open Paz and they heal her snake recives call that mother base is ready for the inspection team that is yet to arrive... 23 seconds later everything is in flames and snake does a Chuck Norris thing... feels that a scene was missing or they're saving it for TPP, wich is a shame since we needed new scenes in the game and the new ones where already guessed looking at the stuff from the trailers...

HIT BOXES
sometimes snake doesn't know if he should stick to a wall or kneel... or even when you're in a hurry and want to hide in a drainage snake can't detect that the thing in front of him is a entrance to the small tunel... so he JUST STANDS UP... imagine that in a alert in hard... or trying to stick to those small wall fances to grab an enemy don't always work... or sometimes the dart gun can hit a guy far away in the face but when you hav the guy in front of you you cant hit him... triggering an alert... so its better to choke him, then dart him while he's KO'ed (sometimes even when the dude is in the ground and you point at his face the dart misses..." PS3 versions seems to lack the bullet drop... so this kind of things might be more inacurate with that thing taking that little processing of bullet physics

THE UGLY:
DEJA VU:
MGS4 played cheaply with nolstalgia, they brought characters and most of the voice actors while depriving the characters of their accents, took you back to Moses for more nostalgia and literally put new versions of some classic tracks... so how could kojima productions make it more cheaper while celebrating MGS1's 15th anniversary...

MAKING NOSTALGIC STUFF WITHOUT ANYTHING FROM ADOBE!
a synthetic text-to-voice redacts a couple of lines from THE BOSS and Meryl... logos from every single release pasted randomly in camp omega (except snake's revenge and TTS) people from the MGSv cast doing impresionations from MGS1... making everything pretty awkward since they released the legacy collection with voices a few months ago so in orther to don't pay royalty fees to the actors they used what they had on the studio and already in contract... and the most hellish thing... Sutherland reads some lines from MGS1 (If we survive trough this, I'll tell you) and part from MGS2's ending monologue... it made me feel dirty and dead inside.. also there's a wierd casette tape with a "improved version of encounter" that feels more synthetic since they used less synthetic samples and I have no Idea how did they can make that (is not the version from the Trailer but a tape simple called DEJA VU RESURGENCE"
the deja vu main mission task are kinda fun specially in the 2nd run when you unlocked the low poly skins (1st time is just GZ assets, they felt cheap), but the rest of the references feel so forced that diarrhea johnny makes an off-screen return just next to a metal gear solid touch sign... which its sad...

03-17-2014, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2014 05:10 AM by Solidsuitlarry.)
Fuck that shit. I heard some of Sutherland filling in for Hayter in the trailer already but going cheap on the other voice actors is just fucky.

It's understandable of course, but still fucky.
03-18-2014, 05:00 AM
I wasn't expecting much from the Deja Vu mission but that's a bummer to hear about. The things that affect game play like doggey hit boxes are what annoys me.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)