Finally some concrete(er) details [SPOILERS]
03-21-2014, 06:42 PM
RE: Finally some concrete(er) details [SPOILERS]
(03-21-2014 04:19 PM)Da Vinci Wrote:  
(03-21-2014 02:24 PM)Punished Pastry Wrote:  But then again, how does one portray these thigns tactfully? Tough call, this one.

It certainly must be handled with care in regards to peoples sentiments, and i will concur that Kojima ain't the most subtle of creators (Even though that's why we like him), but we mustn't forget that we live in a time where this happens http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/03/c...e_squashed

When shit like this happens and people DEFEND it, stating they were right in removing it, you know gaming is fucked, it's a web of absurdity.

People constantly harp about making games "art" yet they cut any attempt at making games "art" by the fucking kneecaps.

It's like the Quiet controversy, we know NOTHING about this character aside from her not speaking and already people who have no fucking interest in metal gear or gaming in general are already making assumptions quite frankly; out of their ass.

Let's see how the phantom pain is and how well it handles these subjects, only then should people be allowed to bitch.

Not a hard request yes? Wait and see, simple.

Edit: I love this line for unintentionally reflecting on the state of gaming (from the article).

"Still, we suppose if it really is offending people, then it’s best to just pull it out."

Winning strategy right there.

Wow.......Not like every game is rapelay or something. Also, if it is meant for shock value alone just don't include it unless ur making Saw the Videogame or Mortal Kombat or something. Sheesh.
03-21-2014, 08:09 PM
(03-21-2014 06:42 PM)nanoMACHINEgun Wrote:  Wow.......Not like every game is rapelay or something. Also, if it is meant for shock value alone just don't include it unless ur making Saw the Videogame or Mortal Kombat or something. Sheesh.

Wait what is this in regards to?

Help, i'm confused Big Grin
03-21-2014, 08:20 PM
(03-21-2014 06:42 PM)nanoMACHINEgun Wrote:  
(03-21-2014 04:19 PM)Da Vinci Wrote:  
(03-21-2014 02:24 PM)Punished Pastry Wrote:  But then again, how does one portray these thigns tactfully? Tough call, this one.
It certainly must be handled with care in regards to peoples sentiments, and i will concur that Kojima ain't the most subtle of creators (Even though that's why we like him), but we mustn't forget that we live in a time where this happens http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/03/c...e_squashed

When shit like this happens and people DEFEND it, stating they were right in removing it, you know gaming is fucked, it's a web of absurdity.

People constantly harp about making games "art" yet they cut any attempt at making games "art" by the fucking kneecaps.

It's like the Quiet controversy, we know NOTHING about this character aside from her not speaking and already people who have no fucking interest in metal gear or gaming in general are already making assumptions quite frankly; out of their ass.

Let's see how the phantom pain is and how well it handles these subjects, only then should people be allowed to bitch.

Not a hard request yes? Wait and see, simple.

Edit: I love this line for unintentionally reflecting on the state of gaming (from the article).

"Still, we suppose if it really is offending people, then it’s best to just pull it out."

Winning strategy right there.
Wow.......Not like every game is rapelay or something. Also, if it is meant for shock value alone just don't include it unless ur making Saw the Videogame or Mortal Kombat or something. Sheesh.
I need to further observe how people react to things that are just for shock value, compared to being serious (for lack of a better description). I think it's all subjective, and that there's some selection going on, an absurd circumstance where one thing is reacted to one way, but something similar is reacted to negatively. I know that doesn't make sense to anybody, but I base it on observation, coupled with personal experience.

I doubt MGSV is attempting to portray this stuff just for shock value. Obviously the portrayal is going to be shocking, but that's a moot point compared to the intention of its portrayal. It's not like KojiPro is trying to offend anybody or trying to "be up there with the big boys" or however my friend described that scene in MW3.

Oh, and about that thing Da Vinci mentioned, about that God of War Trophy.....well, I don't know about all that, but I caught the part with "If it offends anybody, maybe we should just remove it." That's an example of "giving up", submitting to a bunch of crybabies who wanted it changed because it upset them.
Actually, I took a look at the name of that Trophy. When did that phrase become so offensive all of a sudden? I thought the phrase "bros before hoes" was a common saying, at least in ghetto/urban communities. I thought actually it was an ideology. But nevermind that; this is an example of the "absurd circumstance" I mentioned in the first paragraph. I think that if it was a Trophy name in a game set in an environment akin to GTA, it wouldn't be such a big deal. See what I mean? Though this one is unique....even in a setting that God of War portrays, it's weird how people could get upset with it. But I can't speak fully on this issue because I've not played the GoW games....but even though I've not played the games and don't know jack-squat about its storyline, setting, and all that stuff, I still could care less because I'm not offended by the name of the Trophy. Why should I be offended? Oh; because I'm not offended and should let it be, that means I'm pardoning evil? Deep shit here...

[Image: dct_header_SIGN-300x67.jpg] [Image: ZazzleZodiacs.png]
"The only prayer I will say for you is this : Whatever hell awaits you, it won't be long before you see it."
COD:BO Official Website (with Community forums)
[Image: TwitterIcon.gif] [Image: FacebookIcon.gif] [Image: YouTubeIcon.gif]
03-21-2014, 09:02 PM
Thing that was weird for me with the GOW trophy was people believed you were getting it as a reward for beating the shit out of a woman (some people like Marcus Beer were so fucking far off base they were claiming it was an "innocent woman" despite them being the antagonists).

But it was in reference to another character saving your life by taking your side over that of the harpies you were beating on who were just playing along and about to murder your ass.

It was how insanely out of context people were taking it that made it so weird.
03-21-2014, 09:02 PM
(03-21-2014 08:20 PM)Old Gross Wrote:  I need to further observe how people react to things that are just for shock value, compared to being serious (for lack of a better description). I think it's all subjective, and that there's some selection going on, an absurd circumstance where one thing is reacted to one way, but something similar is reacted to negatively. I know that doesn't make sense to anybody, but I base it on observation, coupled with personal experience.

I doubt MGSV is attempting to portray this stuff just for shock value. Obviously the portrayal is going to be shocking, but that's a moot point compared to the intention of its portrayal. It's not like KojiPro is trying to offend anybody or trying to "be up there with the big boys" or however my friend described that scene in MW3.

Many times what i write may come of as abrasive, but i simply like people giving something a fair chance, people are writing about how this is misogynist/unneeded/disgusting when these very same people probably eat up some of the shit the Cannes film festival sometimes praises, which does in fact come of as "edgy for the sake of being edgy" many times.

I have seen far worse put in movies regarding rape,torture,etc than i have in the many hours i have put into ground zeroes.

They seem to be smart enough guys (Kojipro), if they want to portray this tastefully, i think they can, people just need to wait and see.

Edit: I know what you mean Gross, i know exactly what you are talking about in terms of selection, people often times seem to be unaware of it though.
03-21-2014, 10:12 PM
We should have access to this content. Will videogames have female enemies that can be killed...well yeah. Should we be able to maim a pregnant woman? i really don't this so. That's all I'm saying.

Videogames are another form of media. Eventually the bar will go higher and higher until the only controversy will be that you even know about these things. Right now in order to get a game made, you have to go big for a general audience so anything controversial even is going to be for a general audience.

It'll be like this for a while at least until the mainstream gaming community grows out of the elitist phase it's going through now ( XBONE I'm looking at you ) and when it passes all that'll be left are indies and people that don't want the next Angry Birds but just something to pass the time that more/less fits their personality, lifestyle, etc...

I think since there really is only one way to make sure everything we hold dear about ourselves is expressed through videogames we'll continue to see a whole myriad of culture, popculture, and subculture issues appearing because everyone has to be appeased for now...This wasn't the case in the 90s...this is a post-2010 phenomenon I think since just prior the industry nearly flatlined. Now that casuals are part of the equation I think in about 5 years companies will know who everyone is and how to specialize. I think there are enough of us "true gamers" we'll say to constitute a business model designed to appeal to us just like any other userbase. As a matter of fact, I'd say the Japanese game industry is split between those competing models. "Do we model the West or do we compete for the traditional gamer's dollars?"

I'd say once the best in the industry move on to PC and mobile we'll begin seeing greater emphasis on the things that exude greate game development: the megaman's and metroidvanias, half-life's/deus ex's (mmo's are their own culture and i think they're probably the most resilient).

So we might see games get more violent and deranged just because they think this is what they need to do to make money...More sex, more violence, more ....nonsense...then it'll collapse on itself and everyone will have their own game to play.

wat a rant:

TLDR: get used to shit like this. It's about money.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)