Fighting Bosses in the dynamic Open World
01-28-2016, 10:45 AM
RE: Fighting Bosses in the dynamic Open World
Were there even boss battles in this game at all? Who can say. I don't remember.

Suck my fat one you cheap dime store hood
01-28-2016, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2016 10:48 AM by DarthCaligula.)
The only boss fights that even felt like boss fights were Quiet and Sehelanthropus. The Skulls are a joke. An interesting idea, and similar to the Arsenal Tengu and the Frogs, but those fights in the past games were awesome, and these were just annoying as hell.
01-28-2016, 11:26 AM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2016 11:29 AM by Canucklehead.)
Slutty-Puss was the only enemy that even had a health bar as I recall.

(01-28-2016 10:44 AM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  I liked the fight with Quiet, and was hoping that this would be a recurring part of the game. You fight a boss with a weird power, then you get to choose to kill them, or keep them alive, and take them on as part of your team. Pretty much, we would be Big Boss building up his series of bosses for Solid Snake or some other hero to take on.

Would have been nice. Kill them and get some kick-ass unique weapon, or spare them and have them become Buddies.

Fuck this lazy game.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
01-28-2016, 11:38 AM
(01-28-2016 10:44 AM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  Pretty much, we would be Big Boss building up his series of bosses for Solid Snake or some other hero to take on. It just seems so obvious.

No, no, that's what...

SPOILERS

The actual Big Boss was doing... Not you!

SPOILERS

But yeah I had similar thoughts alongside your ideas. I believe the Buddy System was supposed to be expansive in such a way, and they even kind of toyed around with it in Portable Ops with Python, who plays a similar role to Quiet in that you can recruit him or kill him.

Would've been fun to recruit the FoxHound Members etc.

But I think if Kojima had stuck around, all of these things might've been in the cards for an MGSVI.

Or rather I believe MGSV was supposed to always have further expansions...

- MGSV: Ground Zeroes
- MGSV: The Phantom Pain
- MGSV: 2 Snakes 2 Vengence
- MGSV: Zanzibar Tales

Kojima was looking at a more episodic, modular approach to MGSV.

He could've continued to expand upon the game and let you progress your save file by carrying it over. Newcomers could've started out with some minimum Mother Base/staff.

Kojima could've continued to refine and make Mother Base more lively, adding new structures, hell, maybe by 'Zanzibar' you'd actually be building a small country.

The possibilities were endless. But well, Konami can kiss it all goodbye now. I would've totally been down for more Big Boss tales. Hell, having...

SPOILER

The phantom Big Boss around would've easily gotten us away from the canon by just having him going around doing his own thing.

SPOILER

I would've loved to see how Kojima Productions would've improved upon the MGSV formula and taking the criticisms about MGSV to heart and fixing them. If there's anything they're good at it's majorly improving their sequels.
01-28-2016, 01:09 PM
(01-28-2016 11:38 AM)jdnation Wrote:  The actual Big Boss was doing... not you

Not Shotgunner, Machinegun Kid, that asshole in the Bulldozer, and Coward Duck!

And hey, that Prosthetics asshole and the R&D team probably whipped up those Ah-Nold androids after too many assholes invaded their FOB and those shitty decoy baloons just weren't hackin' if.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

01-28-2016, 05:13 PM
I would have liked to meet the kids who would eventually form the terrorist group in MGS1.

I am still pissed that Grey Fox isn't in the game. The whole Africa thing even sounded to me like it was a parallel to the Mozambique war, I was expecting to come across him getting tortured. But lol no, not big boss, so who gives a fuck.

Benny Harvey, RIP
01-28-2016, 07:16 PM
Kojima doesn't even remember what happened in MG1 & 2.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

01-29-2016, 04:15 PM
Fuck Kojima

Benny Harvey, RIP
01-29-2016, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2016 04:32 PM by BigB0SS.)
This also reminds me of George Lucas. I was watching some making-of Star Wars video, and Lucas didn't know the different colored lightsabers/hilts for his characters. Really? If you want to create an error-free story you have to know all the elements of your story (even all the tiny details). If you rely upon other people to get those things right, they will probably screw up somewhere and you'll have no clue something got messed up.

If it's too much information for the creator to retain, then do some research into your own creation (look back at previous stories/details and refresh memory).
01-29-2016, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2016 08:48 PM by jdnation.)
Well in such collaborative efforts as making a long-spanning epic film trilogy or a game universe, it would be pretty insane if anyone could retain it all in their head. At some point you have to rely on other people. In fact Kojima did have a guy whose job it was to keep this shit consistent and even he couldn't pull it off.

MGS would've been better had it followed MGS2's theme of going with new characters and leaving the old ones behind. But well... we know how the 'fan' base wanted it.

Also it's best to do iterative sequels and not prequels as prequels always risk screwing details up here and there, and for something as dense with minutia details as MGS it's much harder to get it all right as you could with a bunch of 2-hour films.

I'm frankly amazed the retconning has been this minimal. It's not excusable... But impressive considering all the information on characters and events they pack into these things.
01-29-2016, 10:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2016 10:20 PM by BigB0SS.)
It probably also depends on what you actually created. I get the impression that Lucas really just made the base story and characters. Seems he had other people create the designs for ships, weapons, creatures, etc. So in that sense I can understand not remembering if it's something you didn't directly create. But still, seems he needs to have more of a grasp on details in his movies (maybe not all details but not just character details).

As far as Kojima's MG series goes, I kindof agree with you. For being longer than 2 hour movies there are less errors than you might expect.
01-30-2016, 04:20 AM
My problem with the ret-cons is they don't seem like mistakes at all, but rather blatent deviations with the actual purpose of changing the established facts because someone thought it'd be more fun or whatever.

I guess it depends on what it is that they're changing. MGS1 ret-conned MG2 by saying that Big Boss was Snake's father and nobody really bitched about that, but then that actually expanded the plot and didn't really change anything. MG2 did the same with MG1 by bringing Schneider back, but MGS4 is where they SERIOUSLY altered prior facts.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

01-31-2016, 10:20 AM
MGS4 was to deliver easy answers for stupid people who wanted solutions to the mysteries of MGS2 spelt out for them. So Kojima nanomachined everything.

I believe MGSV is the only time he actually purposely sought to alter anything. Consciously anyway.

i don't mind alterations or ret-cons in the sense of creating a twist so long as everything's consistent. It's only when established facts and relationships are changed that don't make sense that it's problematic.
01-31-2016, 10:32 AM
I think that Metal Gear Database is a huge problem too, since it's "official" yet FULL of inaccuracies that people putposefully choose to believe due to its "officialness."

Big Boss was rumored to be a Snatcher as an Easter Egg? Nope, he was an actual android. FACT!

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)