Denis Dyack talks about MGSTTS and fan HD Re-texture project
08-21-2016, 06:15 AM
Denis Dyack talks about MGSTTS and fan HD Re-texture project
As the title says, Denis Dyack has started posting a post-mortem of "Twin Snakes" on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k15Npf_IteE
He talks about Dan Tsukasa's "HD Re-texture Project", Silicon Knights' decision to turn MGS1 into a different experience, how they faced GC's limitations and finally about TTS' (well-known Big Grin ) cinematic direction.

I like that they tried to turn MGS1 into a different direction (nowadays almost nobody would take so much chances), but overall it didn't work very well, just as Ravi said in his old article Big Grin . I wonder what it would've been like if they had done the cutscenes themselves and had more time to develop the videogame to make MGS2's gameplay fit better into MGS1.
It's too bad this first video is so short. I hope in the next one they'll talk about TTS in more detail and hopefully about cut contents.
08-21-2016, 07:51 AM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2016 11:56 AM by Canucklehead.)
RE: Denis Dyack talks about MGSTTS and fan HD Re-texture project
You lied - there was literally nothing informative about that discussion.

Anyway, Twin Snakes' problem was that it was rushed, resulting in bugs, crappy audio, poor mechanics integration and cut content. Another year and it would have been fine.

I still like it more than MGS2 though. Oh, and those "HD" re-textures look like garbage.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
08-21-2016, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2016 12:57 PM by John Doom.)
(08-21-2016 07:51 AM)Canucklehead Wrote:  You lied - there was literally nothing informative about that discussion.

They have started with a pretty short video, but I don't think I lied Undecided
But I do hope the next one will cover TTS in much more detail, like they did before with Eternal Darkness.
08-21-2016, 01:41 PM
I've still yet to play it. Seemed decent though.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

08-21-2016, 08:57 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2016 09:43 PM by DarthCaligula.)
Eternal Darkness? It's awesome. The only game I've ever played that's ever actually managed to scare me a little. Sure I was younger when I played it, but I replayed it last year and it was still nicely creepy. Cool to see a horror game inspired by HP Lovecraft and such. I highly recommend it.

As for The Twin Snakes, I found the voice acting boring, with only a few of the actors seeming like they were interested, I thought the MGS2 style gameplay wasn't suited to Shadow Moses, and I detested the cutscenes, where people can't go five seconds without doing a backflip. I also thought that the boss fights weren't as good, except Psycho Mantis, which I actually think was better in TTS. Keep in mind that I also never made it past the first fight with Sniper Wolf, since I got sick of it by then. I did see later parts when someone else was playing it though. I hated the part when Liquid is talking about how they're clones, and since having two people standing there is too boring, Liquid is doing pointless flips while walking on the railing.
Anyone who says this game is the definitive version of MGS1 is a moron. Personally, I think MGS1 is one the absolute best games ever made.
08-22-2016, 03:12 AM
NOSTALGIA GOGGLES TTS HAS BETTER GRAPHICS TROLL!

The fight woth Raven was better than the original, and I think the Hind-D on Extreme is the best boss fight in the whole series.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

08-22-2016, 10:41 AM
Let me know if when the second part shows up and if anything interesting is in it.

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
09-24-2016, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2016 02:18 PM by John Doom.)
Sad Sorry I didn't answer earlier, Ravi! So far, there's no second part yet (they've just started a series on good old Blood Omen, though!). I'll update this thread when/if the second part will be released (hopefully soon, but maybe they can't talk in detail of TTS because of Nintendo?)

(08-21-2016 08:57 PM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  Eternal Darkness? It's awesome. The only game I've ever played that's ever actually managed to scare me a little. Sure I was younger when I played it, but I replayed it last year and it was still nicely creepy. Cool to see a horror game inspired by HP Lovecraft and such. I highly recommend it.

I played it myself a few months ago. It's pretty solid and I liked its atmosphere and the main characters, I recommend it, Canucklehead Smile . It didn't feel as a true horror videogame to me, though, probably because it lacked careful resource management (as in Silent Hill) and I found it wasn't very challenging. I was also disappointed by the main villains, almost over-the-top à la James Bond Big Grin
09-24-2016, 04:39 PM
(08-22-2016 03:12 AM)Canucklehead Wrote:  the Hind-D on Extreme is the best boss fight in the whole series.

Chopper battles
09-24-2016, 05:34 PM
Yes, I know the fight I referenced.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)