Death Stranding is meta online/gaming commentary
01-27-2018, 11:44 AM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2018 12:06 PM by jdnation.)
Death Stranding is meta online/gaming commentary
So Norman Reedus had some new things to say...

In an interview with Norman Reedus by a podcast of B&H, the actor talked a bit about Death Stranding and working with Hideo Kojima.

“I know what the game’s about, to a certain extent. We went out to that music game awards a couple of weeks ago and we came on stage, and part of the scripted dialogue when you come out with the microphone was me saying: ‘now I need to go on the internet and figure out what that was about’. But I kinda know what it’s about because I’ve asked him a zillion questions.”

“The concept is so mind-blowing, because it’s not like, you know, ‘kill everybody and win the game’, it’s a connecting thing. It’s like the opposite. And, you know, it’s so ahead of its time. And there’s elements of social media in it, and the idea is that – you know, you have so many games, and so many parts of millennial culture I guess, is being alone in a room. And you lose physical contact with people. This is after that and the re-establishing of that physical contact.”

It’s super super interesting, but you know, when I met him [Kojima], I was like: ‘Oh, so they’ll play me?’, and they’re like: ‘No, they ARE you’, so as we’re doing this motion capture stuff, you know, they want me to be Norman. You know, they’re all standing around and if I scratch my head a certain way they go: ‘Oh, do that!’, and they’ll capture it. So by the end of the day you’re kind of not moving because we’re like, okay, if I keep moving we’re going to keep filming (laughing).”

“I’m down with whatever Hideo wants to do because he’s another level genius, that guy.”

http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=31288

Also another detail to point out -

So it sounds as though Kojima is up to his old tricks marketing-wise and also making use of the PS4 hardware features.

To add to Yong's video info above, it should be noted that the Dualshock 4 also has a built-in speaker, much like the Wii-mote did.

So in a sense, the plugging in and out of the baby is somewhat aking to plugging in/out a controller.

The PS4 touchpad could be used to interact with the baby.

Also you could probably feel the baby inside with the rumble, and also hear the baby inside through the speaker.

The child is representative of something inside a controller in the way you control your character, who is Norman Reedus.

And likely this has the mechanic of connecting to other 'enemies'/'NPCs/creatures/objects in the game itself and controlling them/giving them orders akin to MGSV's Buddy system.

Also as far as online/social aspects, while Kojima may also be intending players coming together in forums/social media online to solve things as they did for P.T. there is also a cool underutilized feature for the PS4 that could be at play here -

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/yosp-conf...em.757889/

PS4's Share/streaming features have interactive elements.
[Image: proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg....b541361223]

People in Chat can interact with your gaming sessions by either helping you or putting more obstacles in your way.
[Image: proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fps4daily.co...1849684a13]
"meat dumplings (health item)
old spirits (booze, another item)
healers boots (another item)
defensive attack/cover (a buff)
adds, giving or getting support adds."

PS4 also has a 'Share Play' feature where you can get other players to take control of your game and play for you.
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/...eplay.html

All this in a sense suggests that Kojima wants to utilize many aspects of the PS4 specifically, and wants more online interaction, where he seemed to suggest ideas that some puzzles/areas in the game would require aid from other players to get to (perhaps by inviting other players into your game/ co-op), or unlock certain endings (such as MGSV's nuke disarmament), or more esoteric puzzle solving (P.T.). So maybe Death Stranding also has things hidden that require players worldwide to solve that act as a sort of 'post-game' narrative.

The themes of connections and threads and spider-webs is certainly there.

[Image: il_340x270.1384651032_gkod.jpg]

I wonder if Bridges itself is perhaps a 'Connection'/ COnnected Agency.

Imagine if Facebook/Amazon/Google grew into a sizeable corporation that expanded out and grew large enough to command its own security forces.

That is perhaps what BRIDGES is, a corp with power to rival/control a government and Del Toro is its CEO.

In many ways today, Facebook/Twitter/Google are precisely that. We can even see how closely it works with the government, whether it's willing to censor certain things on behalf of the Chinese, or working as a willing collaborator with the U.S. Democrat Party and Leftist groups.

I don't know what Kojma's thought are about politics in the US or whcih way he leans, though he would only comment that he finds the rise of the 'right wing' disturbing.

"I'm definitely interested in what's happening in politics now, especially in America. With politics moving to the right, I'm afraid of this kind of movement in America." - Kojima
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/hideo-...te-in-ame/

Maybe Kojima gets his views from his Hollywood buddies, most of whom tend to lean Liberal Democrat/anti-Trump?

But regardless of Trump or not, is Kojima savvy enough to see the control and effects that social media has on the world?

Is BRIDGES a stand-in for Google/Facebook/Twitter?

Will we see special BRIDGES in-game apps as part of the interface that work for gameplay/menus as well as a pseudo-social media application within the game's world? Perhaps something that Kojima can implement online features and interactivity in between players on PSN?

It certainly seems that PORTER Airlines has seen better days...
01-27-2018, 11:54 AM
RE: Death Stranding is meta online/gaming commentary
Sounds like Fun.
01-27-2018, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2018 12:04 PM by jdnation.)
I imagine this thing also doubles an an iDroid/ UI projection device.

[Image: Hideo-_Kojima-_PSX-2017-antenna-replica.jpg]

Kind of how Dead Space had a floating UI

[Image: 0*0jO0zJYoTTSEflqT.]

[Image: a-555.jpg]
01-27-2018, 06:03 PM
I hope this isn't going to require online stuff to enjoy. I really don't feel like paying for PlayStation's online subscription.
01-28-2018, 04:33 AM
I think I know the secret of BRIDGES.

[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s...a7e82a.jpg]
01-28-2018, 11:12 AM
(01-27-2018 06:03 PM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  I hope this isn't going to require online stuff to enjoy. I really don't feel like paying for PlayStation's online subscription.

Depends... Sony usually only mandates it for multiplayer. But some other online/connected features don't require it based on what they do, and Share/Play features don't require PS+

MGSV's online was split where you could connect to your online FOB and defend it, but to invade other people's required PS+.

Then there are other game 'co-op' modes like Journey on PS4 that don't require PS+ either.

So it depends on what Kojima does and what Sony will let him allow to have for free.
01-28-2018, 03:58 PM
That whole online thing
02-09-2018, 01:55 PM
I'm starting to think that considering that Kojima says the players are Norman, that perhaps the handprints are representative of the players themselves, holding a controller and therefore touching Norman. Whereas the other creatures are other players or beings that likewise enter the world and seek to possess the bodies of NPCs.

NPCs have babies in pods being other players/controllers. Versus Norman who has a baby within him.

The characters in Death stranding are all controllers. By connecting with them they can be controlled.

In a similar way other players and you can influence and play or contribute in some way to other player's Normans. Thinking back to a concept in PT - "The only me is me, are you sure the only you is you?"

Thinking of Evangelion again, is Sam some kind of synthetic metamorphisied collective of all DS players? Like through him we have completed some kind of Instrumentality project?

The other dimension is our world, whereas Normans world is the game world.

Time within the game world is also different from our real time.

The world itself is therefore programmable and hackable. Thus we can connect to and interact with a lot.

So essentially is Kojima trying to make another commentary on gamers, online and social media as he's done before in MGS2 and also MGS4?
02-10-2018, 03:12 PM
It's an open world stealth action adventure game with an online component that bridges the gap between players in their own game.... Most likely similar to demon souls with greater depth since the idea has been around a while now.
02-10-2018, 03:15 PM
That's something I was thinking too. Is it going to be like Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne, which let players show up and help each other? Of course, another part is that you can attack each other, which is why I'm wondering about those hand prints hunting him down, maybe it has to do with other players attacking you while in play in a way.

I have a feeling that most of our speculation will turn out wrong, but I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a big disappointment.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)