Death Stranding - Game Awards 2017 trailer
12-26-2017, 05:54 PM
RE: Death Stranding - Game Awards 2017 trailer
You think so? I think MGS2 and 3 had the most interesting styles.
12-26-2017, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 12-26-2017 07:52 PM by jdnation.)
Yoji Shinkawa art scenes with the noise filters are da best.

But when everything is one single shot take, then shit gets done faster amirite?

Hideo Kojima is going after Woody Harrelson's 'Lost in London.'

Never been done before. LIVE Presentation. One Night only!
12-27-2017, 05:25 AM
(12-26-2017 05:54 PM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  You think so? I think MGS2 and 3 had the most interesting styles.

In MGS2, you could tell he was trying out the film-style for the first time. It wasn't done badly, and MGS3 was better aince he was more experienced, but the same can be said of MGS4. It just had the best direction, probably because he was so much more experienced at that point.

He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
01-01-2018, 03:14 PM
MGS1 cutscenes certainly had its charmers.

01-01-2018, 05:32 PM
Yong has much to say...

01-05-2018, 03:18 PM
Yong's video is great, and the idea that Kojima was interested in Egyptian myth was seen as far back as his conceptual pieces for Zone of the Enders 3 which didn't get made. Death and Egyptian myths go together, as does a lot of Lovecraft; but as to whether whether the Egyptian gods themselves are actually involved, or some twist on them... it's possible, but I'm not sure yet... I think there's still a more sci-fi bent to it, and that the Egyptian influences are more for thematic purposes... but I wouldn't rule it out.

I believe we're missing out on something obvious with the hand-prints. They are heavily emphasized, and one wonders what exactly walks on its hands? Then there's the big creature with the hands for a head. And looking back to the original PT concept trailer, we see the handprints and we see a big hand creature chasing you.

Hand-prints have been found in old rock art and cave paintings around the world. There are also smaller prints that are believed to be lizard's feet.

Thematically, whether one uses the rope or the stick, both are inevitably tools of human hands.

Then there is the Middle Eastern symbol of the Hamsa, but this is far after the Egyptian period.

"The Hamsa Hand is an ancient Middle Eastern amulet symbolizing the Hand of God. In all faiths it is a protective sign. It brings its owner happiness, luck, health, and good fortune.

The hamsa hand has a wide variety of different spellings which includes hamesh, hamsa, chamsa, and khamsa. It is also identified as the Hand of Miriam, Aaron and Moses’s sister, and the Hand of Fatima. The hamsa hand has two main styles. One style is shaped like a regular hand, and the other has two symmetrical thumbs. The second of the two styles is the most popular. The wearer of the hamsa hand can wear it facing up or down and it is believed to give the owner success, harmony, and protection from the “Ayin Ha’ra,” also known as The Evil Eye.

The hamsa hand meaning has a variety of interpretations, depending on the culture. The word, “hamsa,” derives its name from the five fingers on the hand. In Hebrew, the number five is “hamesh” and the fifth letter of the Hebrew alphabet is “Hey,” one of God’s holy names. “Hamesh” is representative of the five books of the Torah. In Judaism, it is also interpreted to be the Hand of Miriam, and symbolic of the owner’s five senses in an effort to praise God.

In Arabic, it is “khamesh.” In the Sunni culture, the hamsa is associated with the Five Pillars of Islam. For the Shi’tes, it symbolizes the Five People of the Cloak. In the Islamic faith, it symbolizes as The Hand of Fatima, the daughter of the Prophet Mohammed.

The hamsa hand sometimes includes an evil eye symbol, which is thought to protect against the evil eye. It is often worn as a pendant on a necklace but also is found on key chains, house decorations, baby carriages, and other jewelry items."

But there are some ties to Egypt and before...

"Early use of the hamsa has been traced to ancient Mesopotamia (modern day Iraq). A universal sign of protection, the image of the open right hand is seen in Mesopotamian artifacts in the amulets of the Qāt Ištar / Inana. In that time, women were under immense pressure and expectation to become mothers. The women’s upbringing was centered on becoming a mother as an exclusive role, and it indicated child bearing as necessary. In addition, it was also thought marriage was a sense of protection for both the man and woman.

Other symbols of divine protection based around the hand include the Hand-of-Venus (or Aphrodite), the Hand-of-Mary that was used to protect women from the evil eye, boost fertility and lactation, promote healthy pregnancies, and strengthen the weak, and in the Buddha’s gesture (mudrā) of teaching and protection.

One theory postulates a connection between the khamsa and the Mano Pantea (or Hand-of-the-All-Goddess), an amulet known to ancient Egyptians as the Two Fingers. In this amulet, the Two Fingers represent Isis and Osiris and the thumb, their child Horus and it was used to invoke the protective spirits of parents over their child. Another meaning of this symbol relates to the sky god, Horus. It refers to the eye of Horus, which means man cannot escape from the eye of conscience. It says that the sun and moon are the eyes of Horus.

Another theory traces the origins of the hamsa to Carthage (Phoenicia) where the hand (or in some cases vulva) of the supreme deity Tanit was used to ward off the evil eye."

As far as Egypt and hand symbols the hierogylph for it is explained -

"The ancient Egyptian Hand (hieroglyph) is an alphabetic hieroglyph with the meaning of "d"; it is also used in the word for 'hand', and actions that are performed, i.e. by the 'way of one's hands', or actions.

An even earlier usage of hand can be compared to the sister hieroglyph: Hand-fist (hieroglyph). Five fists are held onto a rope bordering a hunt scene on a predynastic cosmetic palette.

The Hand as hieroglyphic also forms the word for 'hand' in the Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic language...

there is use of the Hand-hieroglyph as part of an important word that implies the use of 'hands', or 'action'. "

That's all I can find, but it ties into the idea of protection, particularly of children, and considering as Yong points out a new hand print appears after you're dead. And it directly ties into your actions as a player where things you've done remain persistent and death doesn't return you to a previous checkpoint state.
01-05-2018, 03:44 PM
What about in act 2 in MGS4, when you're avoiding the Frogs and Raiden's giving you advice? Remember how you're following Naomi's footprints, and then you find handprints going to that slab we all thought was a joke? What does it actually mean?!

You make a good point at the end, what if the prints are of dead Sams and such? You die, and then a former you still exists in some way. It kind of reminds me of what happens in Planescape: Torment.
01-05-2018, 06:31 PM
There is the thing that the hands on Sam are the player's

Where Kojima might be doing a similar meta thing with 4th wall breaking things such as your hand-cuffs being the Dualshock 4's lightbar.

And you are technically the guy with your hands on the controller. So just as Sam and Mads can use 'ropes' to connect to and control things, you are technically doing the same with the controller, and in a way, previous gens controllers were actually wired. But maybe Sam is special in that he doesn't need a 'wired' connection to what he connects with.

I was thinking it might be pretty wild if the babies inside the bodies are actually the characters and piloting the other characters.

So when the guy or Del Toro turn plug into or turn on the device, that's actually the baby BAILING OUT and it's essentially an escape pod.

Or... even crazier... If you ever saw the film 'The Prestige'

Hugh Jackman performs his magic death escape trick by essentially allowing himself to die, while a clone is created taking the place of the original.

So what if that's what's occurring? The characters are actually cloning themselves into a Baby within the Pod, and then allowing their old body to die, leaving the clone behind and counting on TimeFall to accelerate them back to their previous state? So it's like the baby is kind of the save file for characters?

But I don't think that's it... considering the baby is still within Sam when we swim back into his body. Or perhaps Sam is different, whereas that's the method Del Toro and the other guys need to survive.

But knowing Kojima lately, it's probably something stupidly simple.
01-06-2018, 11:07 AM
It is most likely a nightmare.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)