Canon?
06-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Canon?
Is this game canon? I'm hearing different things.

METAL GEAR FOREVER 2001-2012
[Image: MetalGearForever.gif]
06-25-2012, 09:42 PM

wut.

A game is non-canon if it they say it isn't. They've written MGSPW into the story at this point, and in doing so, may MGSPO canon as well.

What in the holy hell do you think consists of canon? Why would it not be?
06-25-2012, 10:10 PM

it's canon to MGS in the same way that all those expanded universe star wars books are canon to star wars

Suzaku Wrote:Hah. As if you'd enjoy a new Metal Gear game in the first place, you bitchy, impossible-to-please coprophiliac, you.
Pocket Abortions' Quality Blog for Children
06-25-2012, 10:34 PM

Kojima stated it was not part of the Metal Gear Solid series. What does that mean in 2012?

"We’ve only said that the period setting is several years after MGS4. Metal Gear Rising is not part of the Metal Gear Solid series. At present, we can’t say more than this. - Kojima"

Ghost Babel takes place in the period after Outer Heaven, yet it's not canon.

06-25-2012, 10:47 PM

TheParoxysm Wrote:wut.

A game is non-canon if it they say it isn't. They've written MGSPW into the story at this point, and in doing so, may MGSPO canon as well.

What in the holy hell do you think consists of canon? Why would it not be?

Oh fuck me, No specifiers in your message and I thought I was in the Peace Walker subforum.

They've outright said that MGR isn't canon, and even called it a reboot, as in (like Metal Gear Ghost Babel) a what-if rewrite of old canon.

I think you can figure the rest out because you've already fucking recited a quote supporting your point from the only person who's word matters on the topic.
06-26-2012, 02:35 AM

If Raiden is going to take something that's wrong and make it right, then he is going to cut the canon somewhere between MGS2 and MGS4.

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
06-26-2012, 06:38 AM

Wikipedia and MG Wikia still list it as a canon game.

06-26-2012, 06:46 AM

A.G. Wrote:Wikipedia and MG Wikia still list it as a canon game.

You're referring to something edited by the fanbase when the average fanbase barely keep up with shit and some are seriously lolwut with how uninformed they are. I remember one of the questions that the KP Podcast felt to answer... was relating to the cutscenes, as they for some reason thought the live-action trailers indicated the ingame cinematics would follow suit despite the fact we saw cutscene style in the VGA trailer already :/

If you disagree then change it yourself
06-26-2012, 11:07 AM

I'm just wondering if Kojima is more referring to the gameplay. The gameplay is not MGS. But the story does take pace after MGS4. They could make it canon. Worse things have happened.

06-26-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:One thing it was important for the studios to enforce about Rising is that it is a continuation of the MGS storyline.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/17204...action.php
06-26-2012, 09:15 PM

See! Like I said, different things are being said about this game.

06-27-2012, 12:33 AM

Tetsujin Wrote:
Quote:One thing it was important for the studios to enforce about Rising is that it is a continuation of the MGS storyline.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/17204...action.php

To me, this article pretty much confirms that it's canon.

Quote:"Metal Gear fans can look forward to the story that continues after MGS4, what happens to the world after Snake toppled the Patriots," says creative producer Yuji Korekado on the Kojima side.
06-27-2012, 09:02 AM

Again, it may not be. Look at Ghost Babel. It showed the world after Outer Heaven, but in a different timeline. Ghost Babel was a direct sequel to Metal Gear 1, creating a separate timeline from the main canon. Rising might be doing the same.

06-27-2012, 12:35 PM

I'm just gonna keep on believing that it's divergent-canon in my head.

Punished John Wrote:
PUNISHED RONOK
Does not exist
06-27-2012, 01:13 PM

A.G. Wrote:Again, it may not be. Look at Ghost Babel. It showed the world after Outer Heaven, but in a different timeline. Ghost Babel was a direct sequel to Metal Gear 1, creating a separate timeline from the main canon. Rising might be doing the same.

Yeah, that's true, but when GB came out there were already 2 other canon games set after MG1 out there. Rising is the first piece of story set after MGS4, and Kojima is very much on board with it. So to me it doesn't make much sense for them to say to MGS fans "Hey, here's what happened after MGS4, but it didn't actually happen!".

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)