But if Venom Snake is...
02-04-2016, 01:24 PM
RE: But if Venom Snake is...
Do you guys actually take this ending seriously? It's MGS2 all over again. Raiden is you the player, and Solid Snake's message at the end of the game is pretty much Kojima's message to us. This is the same thing. Venom is you, and who is Big Boss then? "We've created this legend together" or whatever he says at the end, pay attention to this. It's Kojima's message to us. Big Boss represents Kojima, and Venom represents you the player.
Goddamn, I figured this all out while I was watching it for the first time. It's so obvious.
Venom Snake isn't an actual character. He's you. Look at this game thematically, don't obsess over the "facts".
02-04-2016, 02:35 PM
(02-04-2016 01:24 PM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  Do you guys actually take this ending seriously? It's MGS2 all over again. Raiden is you the player, and Solid Snake's message at the end of the game is pretty much Kojima's message to us. This is the same thing. Venom is you, and who is Big Boss then? "We've created this legend together" or whatever he says at the end, pay attention to this. It's Kojima's message to us. Big Boss represents Kojima, and Venom represents you the player.
Goddamn, I figured this all out while I was watching it for the first time. It's so obvious.
Venom Snake isn't an actual character. He's you. Look at this game thematically, don't obsess over the "facts".
I don't think anyone here is denying the heavy-handed self-awareness of the ending. We know. But, like it or not, Venom Snake is an actual character. Several parts of the main story corroborate this, and the objective timeline makes direct reference to his existence/death.

Of course, his existence in the greater scheme matters little. He ends up doing the same shit Big Boss does and gets wrecked by Solid Snake.
02-04-2016, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2016 04:13 PM by Canucklehead.)
On top of it all, I don't have ugly fucking shrapnel in my forehead, so Venom is NOT me.

Would have been nice if the guy you made at the start of the game didn't have that shrapnel and robo-arm shit once he becomes playable.

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

I just saved 100% on stress by switching to Not Giving A Fuck
02-04-2016, 03:59 PM
What I mean by him not being an actual character is that he's even more of a stand in for the player than Raiden was. Raiden actually had a personality and backstory, while Venom Snake is just your main man from Peace Walker.
02-04-2016, 05:10 PM
No, there's not much to him. Unlike Raiden who represented the player, Venom Snake is an outright self-insert to accommodate player agency without any dissonance with the story. But he's still an actual character in that he exists.

The similarities to MGS2 are exaggerated, though. Aside from being a 4th wall break the games don't have much in common.
02-04-2016, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2016 05:36 PM by BigB0SS.)
(02-04-2016 03:59 PM)DarthCaligula Wrote:  What I mean by him not being an actual character is that he's even more of a stand in for the player than Raiden was. Raiden actually had a personality and backstory, while Venom Snake is just your main man from Peace Walker.

I played an S rank woman in Peace Walker. Guess that means Venom Snake (er, YOU) were given a sex change during your coma. Damn you Zero/Miller/Ocelot/Big Boss.
02-04-2016, 05:38 PM
It's all about the man who wasn't there...

"Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there."

"He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away..."

We are the man who wasn't there.

Us gamers are the Phantoms.

Kojima wishes we'd go away.

Phantom Fans will stay with the Phantom Konami.

True Fans will go where the real Kojima goes.

There can be only one Big Boss.

It's time to pick a side you nancies!

Because Kojima's gonna send his new Solid to kill the Phantom!
02-04-2016, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2016 05:50 PM by BigB0SS.)
We were originally led to believe this was a tale about anger/revenge. Maybe it still is... Kojima's anger/revenge.

Nuclear Trailer quote. "Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. - Mark Twain.

It's not about Venom Snake / Big Boss / You the player. It's about Kojima getting "revengeance" on Konami by embedding hidden messages/symbolism.
02-04-2016, 07:05 PM
(02-04-2016 05:36 PM)BigB0SS Wrote:  I played an S rank woman in Peace Walker. Guess that means Venom Snake (er, YOU) were given a sex change during your coma. Damn you Zero/Miller/Ocelot/Big Boss.

Imagine waking up one morning and having a twat. Ugh!

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

02-04-2016, 08:45 PM
(02-04-2016 05:47 PM)BigB0SS Wrote:  We were originally led to believe this was a tale about anger/revenge. Maybe it still is... Kojima's anger/revenge.

Nuclear Trailer quote. "Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. - Mark Twain.

It's not about Venom Snake / Big Boss / You the player. It's about Kojima getting "revengeance" on Konami by embedding hidden messages/symbolism.

Exactly. This game is full of themes and symbolism about how Kojima felt about working at Konami as time went on. I'm certain of it.

And I also played a chick in Peace Walker, cuz they're hot.
02-05-2016, 05:04 AM
In their glorious sub-PS2 modelling.

The girls in Phantom Pain sound like they're barfing up their lungs when they're tired of sprinting or injured. The fuck's that about?

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

02-05-2016, 05:42 AM
I thought the less capable combat troops kept whining like that. None of my A-S-rank babes have that problem.

The big question is why the fuck are there no black chicks in TPP? Or pretty much any ethnicity other than white and anime white.

Then I remember that this game was made by Japanese who are like super racist
02-05-2016, 06:13 AM
I think it's less to do with stats and more to do with the actual voice actors.

Also, I wanted goddamned Child Soldiers!

CANUCKLEHEAD
He's just a prick

02-05-2016, 06:31 AM
(02-05-2016 05:04 AM)Canucklehead Wrote:  In their glorious sub-PS2 modelling.

The girls in Phantom Pain sound like they're barfing up their lungs when they're tired of sprinting or injured. The fuck's that about?

Yeah, that's Flaming Buffalo's... special ability I guess.

(02-05-2016 05:42 AM)SexyKaz Wrote:  The big question is why the fuck are there no black chicks in TPP? Or pretty much any ethnicity other than white and anime white.

There are.
02-05-2016, 06:32 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2016 01:52 AM by John Doom.)
Not to mention that since MGS4 (or MGS3?), 99% of the characters now have blue eyes! Even Meryl and Campbell Big Grin

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)