Business Kojima vs Creative Kojima battle over future of MG
11-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Business Kojima vs Creative Kojima battle over future of MG
[Image: kojimaface.jpg]

And the Official PlayStation magazine UK continues to release snippets of their exclusive cover story on Hideo Kojima. I wonder if by the time the actual issue hits newsstands on Tuesday there will be anything new to read. This time it's regarding the well-known fact that Hideo Kojima has wanted to end the series "at every step along the way."

“In Guns Of The Patriots [Snake] was supposed to die” he continues but admits he was brought around. “Everyone on the staff really wanted to keep him alive, so I caved a little.” In the interview Kojima touches several times on the conflict between being a creator and a producer – being an artist and a businessman don’t always mix. “I’m a creator at heart, but at the same time I also have to manage the business aspect of it, figure out how to sell the game. I’m still trying to find that balance – it’s very delicate. How do you put in enough to make sure it sells, while remaining true to your vision?”

Followers of The 'Soup should be aware of the fact that the series was meant to end a while ago since I mention it a lot. I feel that the existing canon needs to end as we are now way passed the end of the story and it provides Kojima Productions with an opportunity to start fresh when making new Metal Gear games. Unfortunately, Business Kojima thinks that continuing the canon means more money, even though I think that eventually this can destroy the value of Metal Gear if the plot gets too saturated, scaring away both dedicated fans and potential new ones.

“I did have the feeling that I wanted to end the series, but looking back at it now as a producer, I think as long as people want to keep on playing it, I want to keep on meeting that demand. So I don’t think it’s a bad thing.”

Plenty of creative people who are also businessmen—including people Hideo Kojima looks up to—are able to balance their creative visions with making money. James Cameron is probably the greatest example of this. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to make money off of your creations and giving in to market demands is the best way to do this, next to creating a demand for something new. However, Business Kojima needs to realize that he can still create new Metal Gear games without messing with the story Creative Kojima wanted to end in 2001, 2004 and 2008.

The issue is that Business Kojima subscribes to the mainstream marketing philosophy which looks at existing trends as opposed to creating new trends. The irony is that Metal Gear started as an innovative game that touched upon the stealth genre few games were a part of in an era of shoot-em-ups. Now that Creative Kojima is an executive at Konami, completing his transformation into Business Kojima, he seems to be unwilling to take risks. Frank Zappa noted this trend in the music industry and it seems to have happened to the entire entertainment industry.

Somewhat off topic: did Business Kojima or Creative Kojima want product placement in the Japanese version of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker? I think creatively using actual products from the 1970s would have been cool. But they used logos and products from 2010 in a game that takes place in 1974.

SOURCE: Official PlayStation Magazine

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
11-24-2011, 04:54 PM

So he ruined a great scene and sparked a wave of "lol snakes a pussy he couldnt do it big boss did so he OWNZ" idiots because of market demand?!

This is one time where I would support government subsidies for industries; to convince Kojima to stop being a bitch and end the series the way it should.

Cool Stuff I Worked On:
Seeing Things For What They Are - Raiden & Rose Analysis
MYTH: Hideo Kojima said that Portable Ops and Metal Gear Rising are canonical
Metal Gear Solid V: Parasitic Legacy
11-24-2011, 05:01 PM

John Wrote:This is one time where I would support government subsidies for industries; to convince Kojima to stop being a bitch and end the series the way it should.
Yeah, subsidies worked so well for Silicon Knights.

(05-22-2016 02:42 PM)Canucklehead Wrote:  The actual hero of Metal Gear is the player for putting up with all of its bullshit over the years.
11-24-2011, 05:07 PM

This isn't about job creation/protection though. Hell, even good ol' government coercion would suffice. Just make sure Kojima doesn't pussy out!

Cool Stuff I Worked On:
11-24-2011, 05:13 PM

I'm assuming you're playing devil's advocate here, but why should everyone else pay for the development of Metal Gear games? How would this discourage Kojima from continuing his mistake of assuming that his creative intent cannot work in the marketplace, as all subsidizing would do is cut production costs for Kojima? If anything, subsidies would encourage Kojima to make high budget titles that are very marketable to earn more profits.

The issue is not even money. The issue is that Kojima subscribes to the mainstream marketing philosophy which looks at existing trends as opposed to creating new trends. The irony is that Metal Gear started as an innovative game that touched upon the stealth genre few games were a part of in an era of shoot-em-ups. Now that Kojima is an executive at Konami he seems to be unwilling to take risks.

11-24-2011, 05:20 PM

It's a joke.

Cool Stuff I Worked On:
11-24-2011, 05:21 PM

Ravi Singh Wrote:I'm assuming you're playing devil's advocate here...
Nonetheless, I think I'm gong to add that last bit to the news story to support my point so thanks for that.

11-24-2011, 05:34 PM

I wasn't even playing devil's advocate. You know I know Keynes sucks, no question about it. I was joking about how, despite me knowing full well of the potential negative effects of government policy, I would support the government stepping in and making Kojima use the original ending, for no rational reason other than "lawl its da way it shud end." You might argue "but this could start a legal precedent that would allow the government to censor any story it wants!" But the reason I had no problem say it is that... we both know the government doesn't give a shit about trivial things like whether or not a fictional character should die, and thus would never try to pass a "Satisfactory Non-Cop Out Ending To The Metal Gear Series Act." They're too worried about important things like what is or isn't a vegetable.

Hence why it was a joke.

Cool Stuff I Worked On:
11-24-2011, 05:36 PM

11-24-2011, 05:38 PM

[Image: john-maynard-keynes-1.jpg]
Sandnigger.

Cool Stuff I Worked On:
11-24-2011, 09:57 PM

The canon... the canon never changes...

It is clear what needs to be done...

We must create a new monster...

We must take Kojima's genes and segregate the 'Creative' Genes from the 'Business' Genes.

We will do so by creating genetic twins engineered to isolate the genetic material! The sons of Kojima! Les enfants terribles! A triplet might be created, we'll give that one the 'twitter' genes and make him president of Konami. He'll tweet them busy!

Creative Kojima and Business Kojima will then be put through a simulation. The simulation is set so each walks in steps of the other. They must outwit and kill the other under our schema by adapting to the tactics of the other, learning them, outmaneuvering them, taking the patterns for themselves. But only one will survive. There is room for only one Big Boss! And this will be done by reducing the other to zero! But in doing so, the other gains the experience of the other forging the missing link between creativity and business. A balance of power that is unrivaled!

It must be so. By forcing them into this game, we will also hone their skills to perfection until we achieve our goal of the ultimate producer!

The one who is fit to carry on the Legacy!

We have seen the future world of creativity and business, and there are no borders!

We will achieve this with our own hands!

All that matters is loyalty to the mission!

Snake Soup Eaters! Unite! And Set Forth!
11-25-2011, 12:25 AM

If I recall wasn't Kojima's original ending (where Snake and Otacon are charged and die) vetoed by his team? I'm guessing that for the flack he has making the tough decisions he is damned just as well for working with the opinions of others.

But hey, the canon is already messy now so ending it will not fix what's already broken.

As for Rising let's see how that game fares. This will (hopefully) be a game where other people can take a crack at the franchise and put their own creative input. Even if they wouldn't need to go through Kojima like they would with the main MGS titles the only restrictions the game will face would be to wedge itself between to MGS games in the timeline. It'll likely face issues with the canon already and its creativity can only go so far as to place Raiden where he is by MGS4.
11-25-2011, 02:16 AM

You know what? It's good to see him coming out and admitting it to the public. We already knew this was the case, at least now certain dipshits can shut the fuck up.

As for the issue at hand... yeah, he should take more risks. They don't need to be extreme (like replacing the mainstream MGS series with, say, AC!D), but they need to be there. Maybe if Rising does well, he'll have an excuse to toy around with some new ideas.
11-25-2011, 08:14 AM

I'd still like his input as far as gameplay ideas, level design and Kojima in-game jokes... although probably once he starts he can't stop...
11-25-2011, 09:12 AM

Kojima will be doing MG-games until he retires, then.

The machine of war is well-oiled indeed.

I'm happily surprised that Solid ended up not dying due to his team vetoing and not due to a personal change of mind.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)